1800 grafts FUE with Dr. Kyriakos Maras - HDC

UnbaldEagle

15 hours ago, Mycroft said:

I definitely understand your concern with how irritated the scalp looks.

One thing to note is that the PRP could potentially impact the growth cycles of your hairs (donor and recipient), so definitely bear that in mind if things seem to be moving slowly for you. You seem like you have the right mindset so far.

Did you have this kind of scalp irritation on the first go around? Is there anything in your lifestyle that may have changed to possibly cause greater levels of inflammation?

Thanks for the info on PRP, that makes sense. Honestly I'm not impatient about hair growth as I know (or hope) that's bound to happen soon. 

Nothing comparable, although my first procedure was a small one of temple work only. I do realize this time around there was some dense packing in certain regions which could take longer to heal. No major lifestyle changes either, in fact I gave up smoking prior to the procedure. Do you have any ideas perhaps on what could have caused this?

I'm really unsure what's the best course of action. It's perfectly fine to wait when it comes to hair, however scars tend to heal slower as they mature.

2 hours ago, UnbaldEagle said:

Thanks for the info on PRP, that makes sense. Honestly I'm not impatient about hair growth as I know (or hope) that's bound to happen soon. 

Nothing comparable, although my first procedure was a small one of temple work only. I do realize this time around there was some dense packing in certain regions which could take longer to heal. No major lifestyle changes either, in fact I gave up smoking prior to the procedure. Do you have any ideas perhaps on what could have caused this?

I'm really unsure what's the best course of action. It's perfectly fine to wait when it comes to hair, however scars tend to heal slower as they mature.

There are so many possible variables that I'm not sure, especially since the work was done by a different clinic. It could simply be a difference in the incision and implantation process. It might also be the fact that adjacent tissue in the scalp previously had some work done, and the vascularity being compromised by the old scarring has impacted the healing of the new incisions. I'm not a doctor so it's hard for me to speculate.

Mobile is being a bit finicky so apologies if this was covered, but did you ask the clinic about consulting a dermatologist for a scalp examination? I saw something about laser work for redness.

I've seen the occasional member have to do a biopsy or examination with a derm where they'll get something to help with additional inflammation, but I personally wouldn't bring in another doctor without running it by the clinic first.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

How’s it going @UnbaldEagle

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hey guys.

There's no growth yet, which is very weird at almost 5 months. Please tell me I'm just a late bloomer, I'm really trying to hold my nerves here. :/ Although I must confess I'm getting really dejected.

I decided to hold off the VBeam for now, at least until I see some results. 

Have you been keeping in contact with the clinic? I mean, I realize they’ll tell you you have to wait, but do they have any opinions on the growth as of yet, or any thoughts on the redness and pitting?

Growth aside, has you skin made any improvements?

Really pulling for you buddy. Hang in there.

Edited by Parasol
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Parasol said:

Have you been keeping in contact with the clinic? I mean, I realize they’ll tell you you have to wait, but do they have any opinions on the growth as of yet, or any thoughts on the redness and pitting?

I received conflicting information concerning the growth. I stopped corresponding with them when they denied I have any redness. 

I've since learned that HT doctors don't really care about your skin issues, I spoke to a few guys who ended up with permanent redness, cobblestoning, etc. and their clinic just shrugged it off as "yeah, but you've got more hair now, right?".

• Administrators

5 months is still early, there’s still time. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 minutes ago, Helios said:

Unbald eagle, has the redness lessened to any extent over the 5 months? 5 Months is indeed still early. Would hold out until month 6 or 7 at least. 

Not a whole lot, sadly. I've been using tacrolimus as per my dermatologist's prescription, which acts like a fairly strong steroid but without its negative side effects, and I feel like that helped a little bit. 

Stopped using minoxidil just before the procedure and never resumed as that can cause redness to linger longer being a vasodilator. 

At least I found out that minox never did anything for me, I haven't lost any hair in the non-transplant regions. :D

But has there been any reduction at all in the past months even if it’s not much? In any case month 5 is too early to draw conclusions and a lot can happen in the next couple of months so keep us updated. Hoping for the best for you. 

Edited by Helios
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What's the status of the shock loss? Have you started seeing any of that coming back yet?

Second procedures can sometimes take a bit longer to grow because the scalp vascularity isn't as pristine as it was on the first round. It's not an absolute rule, but I feel like we see it often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, UnbaldEagle said:

Hey guys.

There's no growth yet, which is very weird at almost 5 months. Please tell me I'm just a late bloomer, I'm really trying to hold my nerves here. :/ Although I must confess I'm getting really dejected.

I decided to hold off the VBeam for now, at least until I see some results. 

Hang in there bro. Growth has been slow for me as well. Especially on the right side. But I'm sure things will get better. 

• Thanks 1

Hi unbaldeagle

I had bad redness for months and months, I had zoom consultation off a trichologist in the uk and he said use Alphosyl shampoo for 3/4 weeks so I did and it did calm the redness down alot,have look into it I think you can get it on Amazon,hope you turn the corner with your HT👍

• Thanks 1

If at 5 months you don't at least feel some new growth popping through I'd say there's an issue. Also redness can linger for quite some time especially on fair skin types. However, the redness you show looks like there might be something else going on (it appears splotchy or bumpy perhaps?). At this point I would definitely recommend getting a second opinion from another HT doctor. 

• Sad 1

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

3 hours ago, Jack dean said:

Hi unbaldeagle

I had bad redness for months and months, I had zoom consultation off a trichologist in the uk and he said use Alphosyl shampoo for 3/4 weeks so I did and it did calm the redness down alot,have look into it I think you can get it on Amazon,hope you turn the corner with your HT👍

Hey Jack Dean,

I'm glad you found something that works for you. That shampoo is normally prescribed for dermatitis and psoriasis, have you had such issues, or was your redness from a HT?

I doubt a shampoo would fix mine, it's most likely broken capillaries, or at least that's what the derms say. 

2 hours ago, hairthere said:

If at 5 months you don't at least feel some new growth popping through I'd say there's an issue. 

2 weeks ago I've seen a local HT doc who looked at my scalp under a microscope but couldn't see any growth whatsoever. I can't see or feel any change since. Do you really think it's an issue? You got me worried now. :( 

2 hours ago, hairthere said:

Also redness can linger for quite some time especially on fair skin types. However, the redness you show looks like there might be something else going on (it appears splotchy or bumpy perhaps?). At this point I would definitely recommend getting a second opinion from another HT doctor. 

It is definitely bumpy, that's another concern unfortunately.