Dr. Konior 2100 grafts December 2020

I'll post an update soon, I need to select and crop the pictures and tell the actual story of how I feel and what I see. It's annoying going through other posts where people just disappear and don't post updates but I understand now since first you forget about the hair problem and second it takes time and effort to make an update, especially if you're not updating every few weeks.

Long story short I am happy with the result and it looks natural. It's not ultra dense and under certain lights you can see the scalp and also somehow the appearance of density depends on the day (weird I know), but overall Dr. K did an amazing job. I even had a couple people in the past few months tell me how lucky I am that I am not losing hair lol

• Like 4

Minoxidil 1x day

Stopped Fin due to sides

HT With Dr. Konior December 2020: https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/anotherhairlossdude/4442

28 minutes ago, anotherhairlosssufferer said:

I'll post an update soon, I need to select and crop the pictures and tell the actual story of how I feel and what I see. It's annoying going through other posts where people just disappear and don't post updates but I understand now since first you forget about the hair problem and second it takes time and effort to make an update, especially if you're not updating every few weeks.

Long story short I am happy with the result and it looks natural. It's not ultra dense and under certain lights you can see the scalp and also somehow the appearance of density depends on the day (weird I know), but overall Dr. K did an amazing job. I even had a couple people in the past few months tell me how lucky I am that I am not losing hair lol

I'm sure this 9/10 month update will be fantastic!

29 minutes ago, anotherhairlosssufferer said:

Sounds really good 👍🏽 look forward to seeing it 🙂

• Administrators
22 hours ago, anotherhairlosssufferer said:

Look forward to seeing your updates. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Ok so below are some pics from the past couple months. I honestly didn't notice any improvements after month 7 (it's 9.5 now) but I also wasn't crazy about taking pictures regularly in the same conditions. As I noted above some days my hair (i.e. the hairline) looks better than others which makes it even harder to track the progress.

So to me it's all the same hair, it just depends on the lighting and in some cases the hair is a little longer.

1190417569_TOP2.jpeg.bc19436f1ccbf4f640a1972950af0385.jpeg

11645214_TOP3.jpeg.98092023837f88f1df9ccddc620b6479.jpeg

I don't usually have my hair a little longer and pulled back like in the two pics below but honestly that seem to be a good idea to increase the appearance of density.

683468972_TOP4.jpeg.92dac19e37a5acc3e816181dacc05000.jpeg

Longer.png.c5b42e71c7f217de6250eec9f1b1d1a6.png

1185346778_TOP5.jpeg.9b0db026ac4e4befb6cd7050b2a18210.jpeg

869043538_TOP6.jpeg.536ec9e2b92120869314bf081d82a051.jpeg

This one below is from a little further away where you don't look at the hairline directly.

1783518812_top8.jpeg.908a47f6c5c4a4502520dabcdb0beb48.jpeg

This one is straight out of a shower with the direct light source

2001296568_TOP1.7.thumb.jpeg.7138161f357fbc6e29666f8a8cfa8e8a.jpeg

THE BAD LIGHTNING

As I said some lights are bad, and the picture below is I believe as bad as it gets, it's the only picture that I have (and I took a lot) where you can see my scalp. It also sucks as it's from a museum and I wanted to have that moment saved and posted online but the museum creators decided to use some really nasty lightning.

TOP1.thumb.jpeg.44abc86c7c0be0b88e80b7b40b5d026c.jpeg

THE DONOR

Another bad part. I don't like the donor and I think it didn't recover, I still have two patchy areas on one side. It's not really that obvious and I observed other people and my pictures from before and the hair is never perfectly distributed in the donor area when cut at 0.5/1/1.5. My guy does 0.5 (or 1) on the sides/back and honestly it looks better at 0.5 compared to 1.5 since I guess there is some miniaturization in those two patchy areas that becomes more obvious when the hair grows out a little. Since Konior did a great job there's no scars so I can cut the hair short but let's see how it goes with the recovery down the line. I am not worried right now, but if I want to do more operations later (and I'll probably want to given that I am not on Fin) it might become an issue.

back.JPG.ee997b2c1197b7316d1dc3970e85a18f.JPG

Overall I am happy with the results and if it gets better I am not going to complain but if it doesn't I am not going to complain either.

Hope this was a useful update!

• Like 3

Minoxidil 1x day

Stopped Fin due to sides

HT With Dr. Konior December 2020: https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/anotherhairlossdude/4442

Thanks the very open and honest write up and pics. Its important we see pics presented in different conditions. Under lighting and wet being the biggest challenges ! I really hope yours will mature some more 🙏

Edited by JohnAC71

Thankyou for posting. Whilst the pictures you have taken aren’t the best to fully ascertain the results, going off your pre op pictures, I think it is fair to say Dr K has done you well by managing to get you where you are with only 2100 grafts. 

• Administrators

Fantastic outcomeF894AA63-24C7-4A93-B91D-308EE222B91F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• 3 months later...

I got some PMs asking me for an update: I don't think there's major improvements since my last update.

Donor: 

SIDE1.PNG.d9d009651b6c9ef43e303d7e9dec599c.PNG

Front, under the sunlight:

FRONT.PNG.403ae37023a3dd50b4545a14e75d3b01.PNG

Here are two pics from this weekend but they might not tell you much - in lots of them I look like I'm not balding at all but it's easy for me to get the lightning and angles that are not appealing. 

Overall as I said before I am very happy with the results!

I will be honest though - I am worried about the future loss in non-transplanted areas and the capacity of my donor, but seeing how I can use my beard as a donor it makes me a little more content.

• Like 2

Minoxidil 1x day

Stopped Fin due to sides

14 hours ago, anotherhairlosssufferer said:

I got some PMs asking me for an update: I don't think there's major improvements since my last update.

Donor: 

SIDE1.PNG.d9d009651b6c9ef43e303d7e9dec599c.PNG

Front, under the sunlight:

FRONT.PNG.403ae37023a3dd50b4545a14e75d3b01.PNG

Here are two pics from this weekend but they might not tell you much - in lots of them I look like I'm not balding at all but it's easy for me to get the lightning and angles that are not appealing. 

Overall as I said before I am very happy with the results!

I will be honest though - I am worried about the future loss in non-transplanted areas and the capacity of my donor, but seeing how I can use my beard as a donor it makes me a little more content.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Donor looks great and for sure you have more grafts there for a new procedure.

In my humble opinion, and being completely honest, it´s not Dr. Konior´s best result. For sure there is a really nice change and your hairline looks really improved from the before photos, but I´m missing some density. Maybe it´s just the photos, so, please, could you share better quality photos of that new hairline?

Another thing, what did Dr Konior said about your beard? How many grafts you think you can get from there?

Again, thanks a lot for sharing! 😉

It looks about right to me for 2100 grafts.  I went back and see that it was around 4500 hairs, which is slightly on low side, perhaps because of donor limitations.

I think he has done the right thing in not pushing the density too high at the front.  As the apex to crown area may continue to thin slowly over time it will retain a more natural look than having a ton of density in a small area.

Doing a side part style and layering it flat will help reduce the see through effect in bright lights.  But having a 'high' haircut myself I understand the appeal.  If my hair is too short and there's spotlight or sun shining directly above it it can expose the limitations.

Edited by 1978matt
I can't count

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

5 hours ago, OliverAtom said:

In my humble opinion, and being completely honest, it´s not Dr. Konior´s best result. For sure there is a really nice change and your hairline looks really improved from the before photos, but I´m missing some density. Maybe it´s just the photos, so, please, could you share better quality photos of that new hairline?

agree, its definitely an improvement and objectively good, but not $14/graft good. If Dr. K and this patient intended with this first surgery to get a follow-up touch up, then I would say this 1st surgery was great. 

But unless there was an intentional reason for lack of density in the hairline, the result is good but not amazing. I would figure too Dr. K of all people could achieve a dense hairline in one-go... 

Alas, OP's hair definitely looks better, so it was a success.

3 hours ago, 1978matt said:

Doing a side part style and layering it flat will help reduce the see through effect in bright lights.  But having a 'high' haircut myself I understand the appeal. 

Interesting. In the vast majority of "After" pics on this fourm the high and slicked back hairstyle seems most popular. I rarely see after pics of people with a classic side part. I would have thought hair transplants are more "exposed" with a side part whereas the up and slicked back style covers up density and any other issues.

Edited by SadMan2021
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SadMan2021 said:

agree, its definitely an improvement and objectively good, but not $14/graft good. If Dr. K and this patient intended with this first surgery to get a follow-up touch up, then I would say this 1st surgery was great. 

But unless there was an intentional reason for lack of density in the hairline, the result is good but not amazing. I would figure too Dr. K of all people could achieve a dense hairline in one-go... 

Alas, OP's hair definitely looks better, so it was a success.

Interesting. In the vast majority of "After" pics on this fourm the high and slicked back hairstyle seems most popular. I rarely see after pics of people with a classic side part. I would have thought hair transplants are more "exposed" with a side part whereas the up and slicked back style covers up density and any other issues.

Slicked back also works but so too the side part. Basically any way the hair can layer over each other and lay flat will help block out light. 

Slicked back obviously helps more if you're disguising a thin crown. 

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

This is a successful first go around, no question!  Hairline is natural with its placement and irregularities.  You went into this procedure with a lot of native remaining in the mid-scalp, and as you're not on fin I have a hunch you'll be playing catch up as your hair loss progresses.  Heck, I'm on fin and I'm still playing catch up but my pattern is more severe than yours.  

Either way, you started off your HT journey on the right foot.  It may take a couple procedures (or more) to achieve the desired density in the frontal third. 

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Administrators

@anotherhairlosssufferer I don't care what anyone says man you look great, I for one am happy for you 🙌 

• Thanks 1

View my thread

8 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

@anotherhairlosssufferer I don't care what anyone says man you look great, I for one am happy for you 🙌 

Haha thanks! I am happy too which is the most important thing!

You guys have reasonable points though - I don't think this is a poster worthy example but it's also not a failure by any stretch of imagination so I am not going to try to defend anything. It's too easy to compare to other great examples like @aaron1234 and @1978matt. There's a lot of parameters at play here: number of grafts, hair thickness, the size of the transplanted area, hair styling, medications, yield, hair color vs skin color etc. It would be good to know where I stand to manage future expectations - for example if Dr. expected thicker hairline but the yield is low then it's an issue for sure. Or if my hair is naturally thin and I need more grafts than average because of that - although I thought my hair was thick-ish but who knows!

• Like 3

Minoxidil 1x day

Stopped Fin due to sides

You got a good result in my opinion.

Absolutely not a failure.

Only 2100 for that area and now you have plenty for the future and are set up for a fantastic result should you do a second pass. Dr. K set you up well. 

If t’s not a poster result but it looks great and it’s nice to hear that you are happy with it.

Any thoughts on a second procedure or holding off for now?

Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anotherhairlosssufferer said:

It's too easy to compare to other great examples like @aaron1234 and @1978matt

Remember we both had multiple procedures to get where we wanted to be.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Administrators
17 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

Remember we both had multiple procedures to get where we wanted to be.  

Matt had almost 4k grafts first procedure too, so it’s not a fair comparison.

View my thread