Fue dr gabel 1500-1600 grafts

• Administrators

It’s hard to believe you’re not pleased. Remember hair transplants are an “illusion of density” not true density. I don’t think there any other surgeon that would’ve done a better job. Yes, H&W are great, but so is Gabel. He’s literally transformed you man. Truthfully, if you’re not happy talk to him and let him know. I’m sure he’s willing to add more grafts. That said, IMHO you don’t need any.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

It’s hard to believe you’re not pleased. Remember hair transplants are an “illusion of density” not true density. I don’t think there any other surgeon that would’ve done a better job. Yes, H&W are great, but so is Gabel. He’s literally transformed you man. Truthfully, if you’re not happy talk to him and let him know. I’m sure he’s willing to add more grafts. That said, IMHO you don’t need any.

Gabel is great, but I can see why he is not happy too. It doesnt mean that Gabel did anything wrong. Could have lost more hair, could just be not enough grafts.  

Melvin is right, you wont get original density (I dont know what "true" density means), but I do think you would be happy with more grafts.  Also, you should be on finasteride. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

On 6/22/2019 at 2:33 PM, SWdan said:

I think it turned out pretty darn good. Huge difference from before, IMO.

Thanks. However, here’s a picture from March 2018 before I shaved my head due to not liking to hide my recession/becoming harder to hide.

as you can see, the first pictures I posted pre transplant were of my hair  shortly after a shaved head. 

I think with a shaved head the results are extremely noticeable but I don’t notice much difference at a longer style. I Am still having to hide the right temple and some of the left - the biggest problem prior to hair transplant. Definitely do not feel transformed as of yet. 

The fact that without careful and time consuming styling distribution on both sides, it exposes the thinness and also the fact that I am still very concerned about it... I don’t yet feel transformed 

before surgery & with longer hair covering temples in earlier 2018:9EB7B80A-7DAB-4B39-8B2F-1DBC7CFB5861.jpeg.f7bed9bc1355758a49a12e94bf622026.jpeg69ED43BE-3CFA-4F29-9AFD-FBF078E0EEBF.thumb.jpeg.d01f0a64ddeed646c490c64b80f03b27.jpeg

now:

69FB7698-FCC4-404B-90DE-0CBE0EA93AF7.thumb.jpeg.e47ba2a7a88196f9107e7543c4f2c905.jpeg

417EC66C-4CC8-4F87-AF1B-9E7BAF267E54.thumb.jpeg.c90800ef3f34b34a932aab04d8184ebc.jpeg

I want to wear it long or possibly short but unfortunately wearing it short exposes the temples and wearing it long looks weird because thickness of native hair compared to the thin and sparse transplanted hair.

Does it come down to grafts received? With my native density and corner recession, was 1500 going to do it - along with grafts that didn’t make it?

i will keep holding out but no improvements since the earlier months.

Edited by Curlinginthesquatrack

I’ll be 10 months post op in a few days. Not happy with the results. I see an improvement at the initial hairline but behind it, temples, it’s thin on both sides, especially the right.

as of now, unless I have a shaved head or push hairs from the middle across and glue them down with product, I have empty areas.

D5415640-A6A4-44EE-A292-BB54F638D122.thumb.jpeg.246a95cc49bc240e6bd7c09188829eb4.jpeg

This issue comes up a lot, so I will try to address it here as clearly as I can. 

I think a lot of your issue with the bald spot comes down to you having such a high contrast between the transplanted area and the surrounding hair. I'll make my point.

The gentleman below (A) has some receding temples, but nothing too crazy. His recession is pronounced due to him having lots of hair on the sides and the top. The stark contrast between hair density and the void of density is what makes this apparent. Would the recession look less serious if his hair were shorter? I think yes. 

Another gentleman below (B) has a similar haircut and doesn't have as much recession. He still has recession, but if you notice, he can mask some of it away with a "lighter," less dense look on his sides + top. He doesn't carry the [exaggerated] look that (D) has. By keeping the sides less "full" (B) doesn't show the contrast, and the density appears more uniform.

Dolph (C) has a shorter haircut and less density than (B) and more recession and thinning than (A). Dolph's hair looks a lot better than (A)'s because the transition from hair (not crazy dense) to thinning area (less dense) isn't as pronounced. Imagine Dolph with (A)'s haircut. His hair would not look good. Dolph is thinning and receding, but his hair looks fine because he avoids the pitfall of too much density.

Would you critique Dolph's hair? Maybe. But at passing and general observation, his hair looks fine, and he styles it appropriately to minimize the effect of thinning/ recession. By contrast, you have more of (A)'s haircut. Any difference in density will be very obvious. 

The remedy to the contrast is a shorter haircut on the sides, and the use of thinning shears/ thinning scissors. You need to rid yourself of the bulk which makes it painfully obvious if any area doesn't have the same heavy density. Go for style (B) or (C) if you want to minimize the contrast. Keep your hair as it is if you're comfortable with styling over the less dense area. 

Again, I've seen many others, not just you, @Curlinginthesquatrack who have this issue, and I would use words to explain. I think this is as clear a demonstration I can make.

(A)

4a41954e2e4ac4b278a822a6e0502684.jpg

(/A)

(B)

2cff1145ebd2ee46a2807ce070b46af3--amazin

(/B)

(C)

Old-Men-Hairstyle-for-Receding-Hairlines

(/C)

(D)

long-hairstyles-for-balding-men-haircuts

(/D)

• Like 1

If you're thinking of traveling abroad, consider this read: 
Airfare guide

3 hours ago, Lennney said:

This issue comes up a lot, so I will try to address it here as clearly as I can. 

I think a lot of your issue with the bald spot comes down to you having such a high contrast between the transplanted area and the surrounding hair. I'll make my point.

The gentleman below (A) has some receding temples, but nothing too crazy. His recession is pronounced due to him having lots of hair on the sides and the top. The stark contrast between hair density and the void of density is what makes this apparent. Would the recession look less serious if his hair were shorter? I think yes. 

Another gentleman below (B) has a similar haircut and doesn't have as much recession. He still has recession, but if you notice, he can mask some of it away with a "lighter," less dense look on his sides + top. He doesn't carry the [exaggerated] look that (D) has. By keeping the sides less "full" (B) doesn't show the contrast, and the density appears more uniform.

Dolph (C) has a shorter haircut and less density than (B) and more recession and thinning than (A). Dolph's hair looks a lot better than (A)'s because the transition from hair (not crazy dense) to thinning area (less dense) isn't as pronounced. Imagine Dolph with (A)'s haircut. His hair would not look good. Dolph is thinning and receding, but his hair looks fine because he avoids the pitfall of too much density.

Would you critique Dolph's hair? Maybe. But at passing and general observation, his hair looks fine, and he styles it appropriately to minimize the effect of thinning/ recession. By contrast, you have more of (A)'s haircut. Any difference in density will be very obvious. 

The remedy to the contrast is a shorter haircut on the sides, and the use of thinning shears/ thinning scissors. You need to rid yourself of the bulk which makes it painfully obvious if any area doesn't have the same heavy density. Go for style (B) or (C) if you want to minimize the contrast. Keep your hair as it is if you're comfortable with styling over the less dense area. 

Again, I've seen many others, not just you, @Curlinginthesquatrack who have this issue, and I would use words to explain. I think this is as clear a demonstration I can make.

(A)

4a41954e2e4ac4b278a822a6e0502684.jpg

(/A)

(B)

2cff1145ebd2ee46a2807ce070b46af3--amazin

(/B)

(C)

Old-Men-Hairstyle-for-Receding-Hairlines

(/C)

(D)

long-hairstyles-for-balding-men-haircuts

(/D)

I appreciate your post and advice/support. I will say this tho:

i did not go to a fantastic doctor and spend a lot of money on a hair transplant to have a similar look to dolph. I think his hair looks great for him.. but he is 61 years old. 

Maybe the  hair of his 20-25 or more years younger would be more acceptable and definitely more Age appropriate for my age range.

also, I can’t pull off a’s or b’s haircut.

(A) has more slope and recession around his temples/hairline but he has even fullness and thickness behind it. If I don’t slime my hair Around with product and perfectly style it, you’d see the scalp coming through easily.

Hey man - Reading through this thread and wondering if you've reached out to Gabel personally about your concerns. I see the validity of both arguments here: you not being completely satisfied, and those that think your results are top notch. I think it'd be very valuable to communicate all of this with Dr. Gabel and really see if you two can find some common ground in terms of how to proceed with this. From what I hear, he's extremely nice and personable and I imagine would be very willing to have an honest conversation with you - and he'll have access to the more complete story here than any of us.  

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Totally understand what you’re feeling. My take is that it’s a very good result, but you’re going to need an additional 1000 grafts or so to feel content. I would be unhappy about the area you highlighted too. Luckily, seems like a very solvable situation. Hey, I’m about 8500 grafts in and I still have some thin areas that bother me. It’s a long-term game, and reinforces my feeling that one session rarely gets people to where they’re totally happy. 

• Administrators

@Curlinginthesquatrack

Dr. Gabel, is a top notch surgeon and a great guy, while I think this result is great. I am not you and you are the patient. Therefore, if you're not happy the surgeon's not happy. Please private message me your name and surgery date and I will personally reach out to Dr. Gabel for you. That said, you chose an excellent surgeon and clinic and I am positive he will do everything in his power to make you happy.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Given the amount of grafts I think this is a great result and a really nice improvement. That being said I can see your concern in the temple area behind the hairline, I can’t see it needing many grafts at all (maybe a few hundred) to turn this into a stellar result. That being said I don’t think the surgeon did anything wrong here and I think it’s a lot more noticeable due to the contrast. Imo it’s always better to get dense packing in stages as it’s far more predictable, you’re in a great position imo and from here I think it’ll be very early for your surgeon to get you where you want to be

On 7/5/2019 at 3:41 PM, pkipling said:

Hey man - Reading through this thread and wondering if you've reached out to Gabel personally about your concerns. I see the validity of both arguments here: you not being completely satisfied, and those that think your results are top notch. I think it'd be very valuable to communicate all of this with Dr. Gabel and really see if you two can find some common ground in terms of how to proceed with this. From what I hear, he's extremely nice and personable and I imagine would be very willing to have an honest conversation with you - and he'll have access to the more complete story here than any of us.  

Thanks. I did reach out and he responded. He thinks it is native hair loss post transplant and not the transplanted area. If I can make it back across to the office at some point, he wants to take a look to see if this is true or not.

I still think there’s density issue there at the front. But I could be wrong.

ive attached a couple pictures. Pre op and now. I definitely enjoy having a hairline that I clearly did not have before, especially pulled back. I am just a little frustrated that instead of rocking that I am still checking my hair a lot to make sure the thin areas of temples are not totally exposed, as it could look more odd than a receding hairline.

558D6CF6-490E-4E5D-B5BC-0D0FC2D15ED1.thumb.jpeg.1a7a982040adf332e99764a905c3baff.jpegE9990458-6F7C-4BF2-AABA-51C36CBB7685.thumb.jpeg.796a1a36a3cebfc79ef9e5b31394c4f7.jpeg

55849A88-01ED-4143-B62F-FEE5DF270D86.thumb.jpeg.7971ec496db815e25fd15f6bbc755f60.jpeg

• Administrators

How does it look combed regularly?

View my thread

Look, I see what the patient is talking about.  This is a great result considering where he started from, but it's true that the density in that corner isn't the same as the hair behind it.

BUT, I think we need to acknowledge that this kind of result is really common, even among the best surgeons, when a patient is starting out where this guy did.  Gabel was building a new hairline on a patient with fair skin and very dark hair, and transplanting into slick bald areas.  That makes it incredibly hard to get something that passes for full density and doesn't show scalp, and it's pretty tough to do in one pass.  I had a surgery with Dr. Rahal that built a hairline just like this, and one side was relatively weak and showed scalp almost exactly like this.  It was not even close to a failed surgery or a poor job; just the reality of the limitations of coverage you can achieve in one pass.

This is very good work, and I would be pleased.  But it's also totally reasonable to want to do a second pass and beef up the density in that corner.  It's what I did, and it turned out great.  We just need to remember that a great surgery can still leave some work to do--building a new and dense hairline on a patient like this with minimal loss takes time.

2 hours ago, win200 said:

Look, I see what the patient is talking about.  This is a great result considering where he started from, but it's true that the density in that corner isn't the same as the hair behind it.

BUT, I think we need to acknowledge that this kind of result is really common, even among the best surgeons, when a patient is starting out where this guy did.  Gabel was building a new hairline on a patient with fair skin and very dark hair, and transplanting into slick bald areas.  That makes it incredibly hard to get something that passes for full density and doesn't show scalp, and it's pretty tough to do in one pass.  I had a surgery with Dr. Rahal that built a hairline just like this, and one side was relatively weak and showed scalp almost exactly like this.  It was not even close to a failed surgery or a poor job; just the reality of the limitations of coverage you can achieve in one pass.

This is very good work, and I would be pleased.  But it's also totally reasonable to want to do a second pass and beef up the density in that corner.  It's what I did, and it turned out great.  We just need to remember that a great surgery can still leave some work to do--building a new and dense hairline on a patient like this with minimal loss takes time.

Thanks for addressing the limitations that can come with a HT (or any cosmetic procedure, for that matter). When I discuss HTs with people, I always advise them to mentally prepare to need more than one procedure. While needing a second procedure isn't a guarantee, it's a good idea to be open to the possibility, especially considering that hair loss is progressive. And as you pointed out, some cases may just need a second pass to achieve optimal results. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

1 hour ago, pkipling said:

Thanks for addressing the limitations that can come with a HT (or any cosmetic procedure, for that matter). When I discuss HTs with people, I always advise them to mentally prepare to need more than one procedure. While needing a second procedure isn't a guarantee, it's a good idea to be open to the possibility, especially considering that hair loss is progressive. And as you pointed out, some cases may just need a second pass to achieve optimal results. 

Yup.  I see a lot of people thinking that they were botched or wronged somehow because their first procedure doesn't get them 100% of what they want.  HTs often don't work that way.  You just can't implant at near-native density in one fell swoop without risking compromised blood supply or necrotic tissue.  

This is when the hair is combed and dry.  

CF121A42-0C51-4E8C-9D0E-DE27E80BD8DC.thumb.jpeg.c3d2305fbdd5357053eadc9ed024d870.jpeg

To be clear, I don’t think my hair was botched at all. My donor looks good and my recovery was fine. How I feel about the look of my hair after surgery is one thing but I wasn’t botched.

Win200 I have seen your posts on a lot of other gabel related promo, blog, as well as advertising   Another procedure of his.

for full disclosure, did dr gabel provide a comp surgery or discount for surgery?

your hair looks great. Congrats. Apart from higher v hairline, which I have, Transplant one didn’t show any real thinness and looked good. Only after getting a teenager/low and straight hairline did I see some density issue there (second one)..

On 4/16/2019 at 7:43 PM, CosmoKramer said:

I found this info graphic on google a few months ago that I go by, for myself it was close to accurate but it all depends on whether the individual is a slow, moderate, fast grower.

F74D4F2B-7601-49AB-934D-87EDAEF94132.jpeg

This timeline didn't fit me very well. 

At 3 months, i barely had any coverage. Suddenly, by 4 months, I was looking good. Halfway home. By 7 months my growth basically finished (90% there). At one year, I haven't noticed that much difference from month 7, or even month 6. Partly, this is because I like to keep my hair short. If you like it long, of course it will take 9-12 months for those new hairs to simply grow. I wouldn't expect additional thickness though.

OP, can you post a picture of your hair as you wear it when you go out in public? Without a single real post-op picture, we can't really say the transplant was a success or not. Or, you could post pre-op pics where you pull it back to make it look like you have even less than you did?

Update: I see you did post a normal post-op pic eventually. I agree it does look like there is a thin spot. How does the other side look?

Edited by Friedman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Curlinginthesquatrack said:

This is when the hair is combed and dry.  

CF121A42-0C51-4E8C-9D0E-DE27E80BD8DC.thumb.jpeg.c3d2305fbdd5357053eadc9ed024d870.jpeg

To be clear, I don’t think my hair was botched at all. My donor looks good and my recovery was fine. How I feel about the look of my hair after surgery is one thing but I wasn’t botched.

Win200 I have seen your posts on a lot of other gabel related promo, blog, as well as advertising   Another procedure of his.

for full disclosure, did dr gabel provide a comp surgery or discount for surgery?

your hair looks great. Congrats. Apart from higher v hairline, which I have, Transplant one didn’t show any real thinness and looked good. Only after getting a teenager/low and straight hairline did I see some density issue there (second one)..

Pretty sure win was a Rahal patient