FUE with Dr. Diep 1,300 grafts total (5,300)

• Administrators
I'm curious. I'm leaving for my surgery in 10 days. I told the doctor I don't want to shave my head because I have pretty thick hair. But I don't want him to shave the crown in order to work on it. Was it impossible to work in the crown with hair there? Every doctor I have talked to in the US says it won't be a problem to leave the recipient area untouched.

Impossible? No but can it affect your results and cause shock loss YES!

Do yourself a favor shave your head, it's the simplest easiest way, do it now so ppl get used to seeing you with a shaved head, I really wish I would've just shaved the whole thing instead of having sections shaved. Now I'm gonna have to shave anyways and cause unnecessary attention to my head.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

Here is my 2 week update guys, some of the grafts are beginning to shed when unfortunately. The recovery has been fantastic, I was in NYC last week on vacation, I was taking the subway walking through Times Square, I even rode a bike through Central Park. No issues at all besides some minor discomfort in the donor area from day 5-8 which has now resolved itself.

Close up of the midscalp shows the angle that the grafts were placed and the density.

8UObWL5.jpg

Close up of the crown shows maximum density was focused at the top of the crown to maximize styling and coverage

ijpTSHS.jpg

Midscalp at a distance

m4aJ8SF.jpg

Crown at a distance

UjXtZyo.jpg

The donor area is actually recovering quicker then it did my last procedure, my donor is back to looking how it did prior to having the surgery.

gU5mgNV.jpg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
Nice recovery HTsoon

Do you know the punch size Dr.Diep used o you?

Hi n00b,

Dr. Diep used .9mm on me.

View my thread

• Administrators
Donor appears clean and looks untouched. Are you planning to buzz cut your hair.

No I was right about to buzz it, but then my friend who also happens to work with me convinced me not too, he said that it would draw too much attention when I return to work. I bought some toppik and did a comb over that looks descent enough that you can't tell except for the crown, but the grafts are shedding quick, so I don't really mind returning with a bald crown, I can just say that the barber messed up my hair cut if someone asks me.

View my thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
Congrats on your new procedure, looking forward to your progress.

When were you advised to restart using Minoxidil and Lipogaine Big 3 Shampoo?

Thanks, I started using Minoxidil and Lipogaine big 3 shampoo 2 weeks post op.

View my thread

Hey HT - Surprised I missed your latest update and just noticed it now. Congrats on your latest procedure . If previous yield are any measure , This'll turn out great .

Any idea on the area covered in this procedure ( square inches or cm2 )?

I've seen a few posts recently about measuring head areas so decided to do it myself . It's really quite easy . I had the wife place an A4 sheet of tracing paper over my head and she traced my previously transplanted area and the area still untouched .I then placed the tracing paper over a square centimetre grid and just drew the gridline though the areas . I then counted the full squares and approximated the part squares ,

After I did this , and as a check , I scanned the document to a PDF and used online measuring software to check the area . I was pretty please with myself as my own measures and the online software were within a square centimetre of each other . I've attached a PDF to show how it was laid out .

Sorry for the ramble :

Are you back into work yet ?

It's funny , no matter how much you research this whole HT business , you can still make mistakes or wished you'd done things differently.

Looking forward to your updates .

Areas__1479242022_21519.thumb.jpg.a597eb1822a50f0ca98b2523200c609d.jpg

Edited by chris39

• Administrators
Hey HT - Surprised I missed your latest update and just noticed it now. Congrats on your latest procedure . If previous yield are any measure , This'll turn out great .

Any idea on the area covered in this procedure ( square inches or cm2 )?

I've seen a few posts recently about measuring head areas so decided to do it myself . It's really quite easy . I had the wife place an A4 sheet of tracing paper over my head and she traced my previously transplanted area and the area still untouched .I then placed the tracing paper over a square centimetre grid and just drew the gridline though the areas . I then counted the full squares and approximated the part squares ,

After I did this , and as a check , I scanned the document to a PDF and used online measuring software to check the area . I was pretty please with myself as my own measures and the online software were within a square centimetre of each other . I've attached a PDF to show how it was laid out .

Sorry for the ramble :

Are you back into work yet ?

It's funny , no matter how much you research this whole HT business , you can still make mistakes or wished you'd done things differently.

Looking forward to your updates .

I don't really know the area covered in cm2 it really wasn't a large area, it's only the posterior section of the crown, the lower portion of the crown is holding up. I went back to work 2 weeks ago. I think I may try to measure my balding area in cm2 and post it here when I get a chance. I'll be posting my one month update in a bit.

View my thread

I don't really know the area covered in cm2 it really wasn't a large area, it's only the posterior section of the crown, the lower portion of the crown is holding up. I went back to work 2 weeks ago. I think I may try to measure my balding area in cm2 and post it here when I get a chance. I'll be posting my one month update in a bit.

Will be very interesting to see the cosmetic impact those grafts have. I definitely could use some more work on my midscalp, but am trying to preserve my remaining grafts of around 2500 - 3,000 grafts for my 40's. If the 500 placed in your mid-section makes a substantial impact, then I will strongly consider tapped into 500 - 1,000 of mine right now and getting it done next year, and then keeping the rest for later.

HTsoon, can you please take a look at my recent pics in my thread and let me know what you think about my plan to work on the mid-scalp now?

See post #126

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/181957-dr-rahal-2-245-graft-procedure-fut-13.html

Thanks

Edited by mav23100gunther

• Administrators

This is my 1 month update, most of the grafts have shed, I don't have anymore numbness or pain in the donor, I'm entering the ugly duckling phase and it'll probably get worse next month, but once New Years hits I should be turning the corner.These are the most important times to document because when you go back you'll see how far you've come fingers crossed of course.

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

View my thread

• Administrators
Looks like you had some shockloss in the mid scalp. Should be back near the end of the year I beleive.

Donor looks great. Any idea how close you could buzz the donor after 5300 grafts?

Yea I think I have a bit of shock loss in the crown to, it's definitely the most difficult part of the whole process but things should come back and then some. In the photos my hair is a #2 I can go down to 1/2 guard, I don't know about zero I think some scars would be visible so I haven't been brave enough to go that low.

View my thread

So I just saw this. Man, how you feeling? Seems like your hair looked pretty good. Still happy you went for another procedure? I always feel it is risky when you are generally happy to do another procedure. Bet you can't wait for this one to grow out.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators
So I just saw this. Man, how you feeling? Seems like your hair looked pretty good. Still happy you went for another procedure? I always feel it is risky when you are generally happy to do another procedure. Bet you can't wait for this one to grow out.

Hey spanker, I feel great, I'm not concerned about the the ugly duckling phase, having been through this twice before I know it's just a part of the process. I'm happy I went in for a third this will at least be educational for others in terms of the overall impact a small number of grafts can do, I've always thought less is more especially when it comes to the crown. I don't really feel impatient to be honest, it's been a month now and I'm still styling my hair the same way, no one has been able to tell anything and its pretty much business as usual.

View my thread

This is my 1 month update, most of the grafts have shed, I don't have anymore numbness or pain in the donor, I'm entering the ugly duckling phase and it'll probably get worse next month, but once New Years hits I should be turning the corner.These are the most important times to document because when you go back you'll see how far you've come fingers crossed of course.

Looking good brother. I can't believe this is your 3rd procedure. I'm at 9.5mo and my 1 year visit w/ Dr Diep is creeping up. Im in LA as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Ok guys there isn't really anything to report or to show unfortunately, nevertheless it's important to document the early months, it's easy to let negative thoughts creep in, so it's important to show the full process of growth so that this thread could serve as a guide.

My donor area in these photos is cut to a 1/2 guard on the bottom faded up to a #1 and 2 at the top, I cut my hair myself so if it looks bad that's why :o I just realized it's been about 18 months since my hairline, so I'm going to post some hairline pics too.

Overhead crown view nothing yet

NQRGCTk.jpg

Back view/donor

0FKSh0W.jpg

Midscalp slightly recovering from shock loss

qCVfn98.jpg

Right view hairline

uaiZkNC.jpg

Left view hairline

PaLr9Ee.jpg

Edited by Melvin-HTsoon

View my thread

• Administrators

Thanks Sean,

I'm hanging in there I can honestly say I'm in a much better position now than I was my two previous surgeries, but nevertheless I appreciate the encouragement and I hope at the end this thread will prove to be useful to others.

View my thread

Not that I need to say anything to you as you are more experienced and mature than I am, but hang in there and dont lose hope. Transplant recovery is an emotional ride even though you know things are gonna be better in the future.

It may take some more time to see new growth than your previous surgery as the grafts placed in mid scalp & crown may take longer to grow than the ones in the hairline.

Finally, You have an excellent hairline. very jealous...

• Administrators

Thanks n00b,

HT's are an emotional roller coaster from excitement, to doubt, to happiness, it's a process, I can remember my first procedure almost three years ago, at month 2 I had thought I made a bad decision and I gave up on hair loss, this time around I mentally prepared myself for the long road that lies ahead, but it's never easy regardless of how many times you go through it.

Thankfully I have my hairline that really makes this process so much easier, still today even with minor shock loss I'm better than I was 4 years ago so I'm thankful for that; thanks for the encouragement hopefully it doesn't take 6-7 months to see growth but if it does so be it :P this thread may get redundant if nothing happens but I'll continue to update it regardless for reference.

View my thread

Its interesting to see your mid scalp recover from shock loss.

I was wondering whether the native hairs that grow after shock loss grow as thick matured hairs or grow thin then mature like transplanted hairs.

What do you guys think?