New Cure- Where are we headed?

So, many posters have been here for years. Seeing new study and gaining hopes only for them to slowly be dashed as time continues to fade away. There were probably countless guys that were not even driving yet that looked at their dad's head and told themselves that there would be a cure before they themselves had to worry, only to be let down.

So, where are we headed? What are your thoughts on this? Certainly, transplants have improved greatly. But do you think you will see a cure?

I belive that the only chance is through stem cells al by "turning" the follicle back on. I'm no expert on it though. What do you think about the future medicinal treatment or cure for hairloss?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators

I don't see anythings happening for at least 20-30 years, if you look back minoxidil happened 30 years ago then propecia 20 years ago. I don't think there'll be a cure in this lifetime, maybe in 2150 they'll look back in amazement that people chemically castrated themselves and cut slabs of meat behind their heads and punched thousands of holes in their head to keep hair. We're still in the dark ages of hairloss we've only been able to do something about it in the last 50 years.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Tough to predict. You think 20 yrs ago when they were playing around with finasteride in a lab and saw that it shrank prostate they planned for it to actually re-grow hair on mice too? No way. So many of the developments we see in medicine are completely accidental.

I thought about something in reverse--if the average person has xyz hair cycles in his life and is destined to go bald once he hits that #, what if you could slowwwwww it all down. So your hair would grow less quickly, to the point where your hair age at 50 would actually be your hair age at 25. Imagine a drug that could just make your hair cycles operate at 50% their pace, thus doubling your time with healthy hair. Sure you couldn't get haircuts as frequently, but who cares.

I dont know the # of firms working on it but it "feels" like it is not a lot of pharma companies in relation to the "problem". Imagine if you discovered the "cure" for a problem that effects about 1 in 3 humans on earth! I mean other than heart disease I cannot imagine something that affects more people on the planet. So I am sometimes surprised you don't hear of 50+ pharma companies devoting resources to it.

I don't expect anything significant in my lifetime to be honest.

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

I posted a link to this in another thread. It seems promising but there are so many variables to go through to make it viable. There is also this to consider. Did you really think losing hair was something important until it happened to you personally? Most of the world considers us vain for even thinking hair loss is a problem. Science is concentrated on more important things than hair loss. Sure it's there but it's not something important to those people that don't suffer with it. I doubt there will ever be a solution for it. This company has impressive information but could be just quakery

• Administrators

I think the future is with genetic mutation, the issues with hair cloning is you still have to get surgery, which itself is not a cure. Hair regeneration sounds promising but how will DHT affect the regenerated hair? If you could genetically mutate your hair to be DHT resistant then you have yourself a cure. No need to take pills, get surgery, nothing you're done. This may happen in 200 years maybe not in our lifetime, people will look back at us in amazement, just like we look back at the poor guys buying snake oil.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...

Replicel are starting their phase 2 trials this year, I'm quite excited by that and actually thought there'd be more of a 'buzz' on this site about it.

I think the tech has moved on significantly in the past 10 years and I hope that it'll move even more quickly now - certainly seems to be more momentum building.

I read an article today about the Replicel trials and it also stated an approximate price of the treatment. In my opinion, if they are talking about prices, it sounds like it's definitely going to market.

We're going to have to wait to see the results from the trials in Japan, unfortunately that's a while away yet. They keep saying they are confident of release in 2018 in Japan - but I'd certainly make the trip if the results are good.

The big companies that make alot from selling products like moxidil etc would loose out much more if there was a cure found.

Would they not rather continue to sell products than a cure ?

I disagree. I spend maybe 30 dollars a month for minox and fin. Probably less. If I lived another 50 years, that is $18k. I'd pay that much today for a cure.

But, I don't think there will ever be a real cure in my lifetime, but I think we will see more effective treatment. A cure comes to a completion. I think whatever comes next will be like finasteride in that it will be something that you have to commit to, and if it is more effective than fin, they can charge more money and make more money.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 1 month later...

The presently available treatments of hair loss mainly consists of the taking of hormonal drugs to prevent more hair loss, and hair transplanting methods, like Follicular unit Transplants, which in most cases is capable of restoring the look of natural hair.

Hair cloning is a promising new advanced technique under development to counter hair loss. Huge amount of money going into millions of dollars were put into research on the subject. Most experts previously wrongly assumed that in the case of complete baldness, the follicles are absolutely absent from the scalp, thus no chance of regeneration.

• 1 month later...
What about cloning to create a human with the same genetics as yourself, and then you just transplant all of their hair onto your own head.

Haha. Well, I guess that would work, but I don't think we will be making any body part farms anytime soon. That would make a killer movie though. In fact I think I've seen this movie, but I can't remember exactly.

View Spanker's Website

• 2 weeks later...
I dont know the # of firms working on it but it "feels" like it is not a lot of pharma companies in relation to the "problem". Imagine if you discovered the "cure" for a problem that effects about 1 in 3 humans on earth! I mean other than heart disease I cannot imagine something that affects more people on the planet. So I am sometimes surprised you don't hear of 50+ pharma companies devoting resources to it.

I don't expect anything significant in my lifetime to be honest.

There are higher priorities like HIV and Cancer so hairloss is a minor issue for labs.

Can you imagine HIV virus has been there for 30 years and labs couldn't figure out a cure or even a vaccination for it

Sounds like a damn good movie. haha

Right - the clones that were farm raised for their hair revolt and find their doppelgangers, kill them, and then take their place.

But then they get depressed because they're bald and their hair has been depleted....

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Haha. Well, I guess that would work, but I don't think we will be making any body part farms anytime soon. That would make a killer movie though. In fact I think I've seen this movie, but I can't remember exactly.

It was The Clonus Horror 1979

Seems some sort of Stem Cell treatment will be the cure.

Just worried it will take many years to refine, but hope not.

Taking cells that create hair follicles and multiplying them makes sense.

Just wish it was as simple as that and it could be done right now....

Simply go to a clinic, get a few existing cells removed and cultured and then inject them in your scalp. Done.

I have always planned to get a mortgage/buy a house. But maybe I should keep my savings locked up until something is (hopefully) available soon.

Imagine if they found a cure today and it would be available in 6 months time. It would be like winning the lottery. I can only dream. It would change my life.

I'm pretty certain now that there won't be a cure in our cosmetic lifetime. By that I mean in the next 15 years. After that we'll probably be too old to care. Unfortunately all the stem cell research is still in pre-clinical testing phase. After that it requires years of testing on humans, then marketing etc. There are so many obstacles to overcome, not least being that the stem cells actually know how to trigger hair growth, and not become cancerous.

I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that it won't happen for us now. Maybe our children if they're lucky. To the guy who said he was saving for this. Forget it mate, use your money for something useful like a deposit on a property.

I agree that it won't be in the next 20 years. But the 20 year old guys on the board will likely still want hair for the next 30 to 40 years. So I think there is a chance that some on the board will see something. I do think they will at least top finasteride in the next 20 years.

View Spanker's Website

20+ years is unrealistic imo.

Dr. Tsuji is beasting forward with the highly renowned Riken Institution while also teaming up with a billionaire company. Top of the crop in terms of organ regeneration.

KYOCERA, RIKEN and Organ Technologies Launch Joint Research in Regenerative Medicine to Treat Hair Loss; Organ regeneration technology shows promise for regenerating hair follicles | News Releases | KYOCERA

Finally, you've got your real hope here. Statistically this has much chance of working out imo. Observations tell us much in science.

The era of regenerative therapy is upon us. And I believe the hair follicle will be one of the first to pluck the fruits of that. High plasticity and regenerative capacity.

Edited by Swooping

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com

Come on Dr Tsuji!!!!! You can do it! I have ?20,000 waiting for you Mr Tsuji.

I can say I haven't been excited in a long time.. But this is a very good development. And yeah 20K.. It surely ain't going to be cheap :P.

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com