61 y/o looking for advice on pursuing HT.

Appreciate this forum....very informative.  I've considered a HT in the past but never considered seriously until a friend had it done and his results were good.  I'm going to add some pics of my current situation and see if the experienced folks here would recommend pursuing a consult.  Never been on meds long term....just lost interest easily I guess.  The pics of side and back are about 2 weeks after #2 clipping.  The back and sides seem to grow fast and gets thick pretty quick.  Would not be looking for a full head but something natural for my age.  I've buzzed in the past and it was ok but would really like to see if there's reasonable hope for improvement through a HT.  Thoughts?

IMG_E7037.JPG

IMG_E7064.JPG

IMG_E7061.JPG

IMG_E7059.JPG

IMG_E7056.JPG

• Valued Contributor

Hi and welcome to the forum! Looking at your photos their is definitely scope for improvement. However the degree of improvement depends on a lot of factors. But firstly I just want to congratulate you on your patience which has prevented you from ending up with ugly 'punch graft' surgical procedures and other options that could/would have you left with scars and other issues. I will let other members chime in with their sage advice but I would firstly look at our forum recommended doctors and have several different consultations. Explain to each one what your goals are and what they say is achievable. Look for surgeons who specialize in high Norwood 6/7 patients and look at surgeons who turn out a high number of natural looking results with patients who have a similar hair type and loss as yours. The most important goal you want to be looking for is naturalness. When you are seeing a number of results that look like no surgery was ever carried out then consider these surgeons. In terms of medication, finasteride can help in strengthening your donor hair (specifically your crown). This is an individual decision of course if you are willing and able to take it. There are many factors in hair restoration. Keep asking questions as there is no such thing as a stupid question and don't rush into something unless you are 100% sure. Wishing you all the best!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

You seem like a ideal candidate for Eugenix (India) they excel with cases such as yours. Check out the higher Norwood levels results from Eugenix and others. 
I also think @DrTBarghouthi(Vertex), HDC @Doron Haratiand Dr Bisanga @sl @Raphael84are excellent considerations !

I will take a look....appreciate the input.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Hi and welcome to the forum! Looking at your photos their is definitely scope for improvement. However the degree of improvement depends on a lot of factors. But firstly I just want to congratulate you on your patience which has prevented you from ending up with ugly 'punch graft' surgical procedures and other options that could/would have you left with scars and other issues. I will let other members chime in with their sage advice but I would firstly look at our forum recommended doctors and have several different consultations. Explain to each one what your goals are and what they say is achievable. Look for surgeons who specialize in high Norwood 6/7 patients and look at surgeons who turn out a high number of natural looking results with patients who have a similar hair type and loss as yours. The most important goal you want to be looking for is naturalness. When you are seeing a number of results that look like no surgery was ever carried out then consider these surgeons. In terms of medication, finasteride can help in strengthening your donor hair (specifically your crown). This is an individual decision of course if you are willing and able to take it. There are many factors in hair restoration. Keep asking questions as there is no such thing as a stupid question and don't rush into something unless you are 100% sure. Wishing you all the best!

I appreciate that.  My profession makes it hard to carve out a long stretch of time for recovery and I'm in the public eye evey day so there's no hiding for months.  I've never hated losing my hair like my dad did (system user until the end), but if there's something I can do and get a reasonable, natural outcome it might be worth going through the process.  Money is more available too with the kids on their own.  Might be time for a serious look at my options.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pilk said:

I appreciate that.  My profession makes it hard to carve out a long stretch of time for recovery and I'm in the public eye evey day so there's no hiding for months.  I've never hated losing my hair like my dad did (system user until the end), but if there's something I can do and get a reasonable, natural outcome it might be worth going through the process.  Money is more available too with the kids on their own.  Might be time for a serious look at my options.  

With realistic expectations I think you will be ok. The Eugenix reps are on here @Abhinay Singh @Gabreille Nelson Mukhia 

28 minutes ago, Pilk said:

My profession makes it hard to carve out a long stretch of time for recovery and I'm in the public eye evey day so there's no hiding for months.

Then smaller FUE procedures are probably best in order to stay incognito.  The bigger the procedure the longer you'll have to stay out of public.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

32 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

You should check out @Zoomsterresults from his first ht… and he’s now on his second 👌 

Holy smokes that is well beyond what I would have expected.  I have plenty of beard, chest and back hair if needed....lol.  

7 minutes ago, Pilk said:

Holy smokes that is well beyond what I would have expected.  I have plenty of beard, chest and back hair if needed....lol.  

Zoomster had a amazing result and I have no doubts it’s going to get a whole lot better. If you look through the forum for Eugenix results you will see they have tons of the higher Norwood 6 completed journeys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

15 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Zoomster had a amazing result and I have no doubts it’s going to get a whole lot better. If you look through the forum for Eugenix results you will see they

13 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

In my opinion Eugenix are the masters of High Norwood Scale hair loss. 👍

have tons of the higher Norwood 6 completed journeys. 

11 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Can’t really disagree with that 😂

This is one of the things I was hoping to accomplish by posting pics....to get an initial direction.  I appreciate the help and I think I'll contact one of the forum reps and start a conversation.  How is traveling to India these days?  

• Valued Contributor
8 hours ago, Pilk said:

This is one of the things I was hoping to accomplish by posting pics....to get an initial direction.  I appreciate the help and I think I'll contact one of the forum reps and start a conversation.  How is traveling to India these days?  

Would you be travelling from the UK by any chance?

If so... The e-medical visa is not an option (or any e-visa), meaning you have to do it the old school way and fill out a form, get it printed, book an appointment at your nearest consular services (for me that means an annoying trip to London), hand in your forms, any relevant paperwork (such as a letter from the clinic confirming your surgery), your passport, your visa fee (give or take £100 I think) and... wait to see if there's a visa in your passport when it arrives in the post.

I'll be going through this exact process in two weeks when I trot off to London. Fingers crossed the visa is granted. There are flights to India from the UK including direct flights. There's also a 72-hour Covid test that needs to be taken before travel to India, so that's an extra cost & hassle. So there's some hurdles to jump through but nothing much different to travelling to any other country that has certain visa requirements.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

Would you be travelling from the UK by any chance?

If so... The e-medical visa is not an option (or any e-visa), meaning you have to do it the old school way and fill out a form, get it printed, book an appointment at your nearest consular services (for me that means an annoying trip to London), hand in your forms, any relevant paperwork (such as a letter from the clinic confirming your surgery), your passport, your visa fee (give or take £100 I think) and... wait to see if there's a visa in your passport when it arrives in the post.

I'll be going through this exact process in two weeks when I trot off to London. Fingers crossed the visa is granted. There are flights to India from the UK including direct flights. There's also a 72-hour Covid test that needs to be taken before travel to India, so that's an extra cost & hassle. So there's some hurdles to jump through but nothing much different to travelling to any other country that has certain visa requirements.

From the USA....haven't gotten far enough along to know how the process works.  I figured covid would play into it and was prepared to work through the process if the decision is made.   Thanks for the tips. 

• Like 1

That seems to make total sense 👌 No doubt they can assess better in person. A 2 stage approach would be great IE approx 4200 grafts and then go back for a second pass after a year. I’m sure your donor and beard will allow for 2 procedures. 

Edited by JohnAC71

• Administrators

It’s probably a good idea not to do the midscalp as you might get shock loss. It would be best to blend everything in together and the graft number seems reasonable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.