Will steroids for bodybuilding affect transplanted hair?

Just stay natty bro.  No one wants to have to inject themselves for the rest of their lives because they shut down their natural production.

Increasing T gives more opportunity for 5AR to convert it to DHT, so an accellerated rate of loss could occur if you are particularly susceptable to MPB.

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

No.  Only hair thats DHT sensitive will be affected.

You might however notice an increase in hair falling out that was already gonna fall out anyways.

So  your hairloss might speed up a bit because that extra testosterone will convert into higher levels of DHT circulating in your blood

• Like 1

It will certainly affect the native hair and accelerate your genetic disposition for DHT to damage the follicles, making you lose coverage. Will it affect your transplanted hairs? My guess is they would be ok, or you would see them minituarize over time as a confirmation. Both would be affected less in the presence of finasteride, but the coverage you will lose will depend on how much transplanted vs native hair you have on the top. 

• Like 1

Yes, it will. Even something mild* like Anavar will impact your hairs. If hairloss is a concern, and you are already prone to hairloss, then steroids should be off the table. Just put in the work, even if you have allegedly "peaked"

EDIT: I know two people who take meds, and also have taken quality gear, but have lost their transplanted hairs. I would say something like 20% loss. If the transplanted hairs were prone to hairloss, steroids will accelerate that loss. Everyone else here is making an educated guess.

Edited by champybaby
  • Like 2

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

You can get excellent gains without roids theses days.  Just take creatine, glutamine, amino acids....etc and you'll bulk up nicely.

You can also take D-aspartic acid, tribulus, epimedium and maca to boost your test

Edited by Westview

You're shooting yourself in the foot since you'll be losing scalp hair and will likely grow body hair using steroids. In terms of your transplanted hairs, you can still lose them or get miniaturization since the concentration of DHT receptors on those transplanted hairs is less (or maybe they don't even have DHT receptors). Not to mention the plethora of health problems steroids cause. 

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/steroids-other-appearance-performance-enhancing-drugs-apeds/what-are-side-effects-anabolic-steroid-misuse

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• Administrators

Exogenous androgens will speed up hair loss. Transplanted hair is DHT resistant not DHT proof. Especially hairs taken from the fringe of the safe donor area. I agree with Matt, stay natty. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 hours ago, Westview said:

You can get excellent gains without roids theses days.  Just take creatine, glutamine, amino acids....etc and you'll bulk up nicely.

You can also take D-aspartic acid, tribulus, epimedium and maca to boost your test

I agree...these are better alternatives to stroids....in addition, if you do heavy weights with fewer reps, that can potentially help bulk up the muscle tissue.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

6 hours ago, champybaby said:

Yes, it will. Even something mild* like Anavar will impact your hairs. If hairloss is a concern, and you are already prone to hairloss, then steroids should be off the table. Just put in the work, even if you have allegedly "peaked"

About 5 years ago i took a PT course, more as a life skill for myself than to actually train others.  After about 6-9 months training myself I had a couple of people ask "what's your stack bro?".  Err, nothing in fact, and never would.

But you are right.  With the work you can basically be in the top 1% of physiques without roids, as 99% of people arent prepared to put the hours in the gym, or clean up their diet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1978matt said:

But you are right.  With the work you can basically be in the top 1% of physiques without roids, as 99% of people arent prepared to put the hours in the gym, or clean up their diet.

"Everybody wants to be jacked and tan but nobody wants to lift this heavy ass weight."

Eating right about 70% of it.

• Haha 1

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

10 minutes ago, champybaby said:

"Everybody wants to be jacked and tan but nobody wants to lift this heavy ass weight."

Eating right about 70% of it.

haha, Ronnie Coleman.

"everyone wannbe a bodybuilder, but nobody..."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gillenator said:

I agree...these are better alternatives to stroids....in addition, if you do heavy weights with fewer reps, that can potentially help bulk up the muscle tissue.

8-12 reps is often quoted as good range for hypertropy (muscle size), and anything lower for strength gains.  Higher reps for endurance.

There's also a lot of merits in metabolic fatigue where you might do 20-25 reps to failure with a lighter weight, but it must be to failure.  I'm tending to do more of this lately while gyms are closed as I only have a couple of 25 lbs dumbells and some other improvised kit.

Now I'm getting into my 40s it's also less taxing on the joints.

Edited by 1978matt

2 hours ago, 1978matt said:

About 5 years ago i took a PT course, more as a life skill for myself than to actually train others.  After about 6-9 months training myself I had a couple of people ask "what's your stack bro?".  Err, nothing in fact, and never would.

That makes perfect sense. Where’s the best place and price to gain a PT qualification if you don’t mind me asking? 
Do you ever train people as a little side business? 

Edited by Craig2412

• Valued Contributor
13 hours ago, asianhair said:

Will a course of testosterone affect transplanted hair? I am not using fina and had 1 transplant a few years ago. 

The real problem is that you won't need one course of testosterone or growth hormone. You will need cycles of it over a longer period of time. The problems that result will make hair loss the least of your concerns. Stay natural, eat clean and stay the course with discipline. All the best.

10 hours ago, Craig2412 said:

That makes perfect sense. Where’s the best place and price to gain a PT qualification if you don’t mind me asking? 
Do you ever train people as a little side business? 

I think from memory you're in the UK?  The course provider I went with closed down because it was affiliated with a small independent chain of gyms in central London which got taken over and turned into a budget gym.  It was very convenient though as the whole course was on weekends and over a period of about 4 months.

The examining body was YMCA Fit.  There are a few others that are recognised as legit in the UK.  I think another is 'Premier Fit' or something.  the course cost about £2k I think.

On 3/25/2021 at 10:15 AM, 1978matt said:

I think from memory you're in the UK?  The course provider I went with closed down because it was affiliated with a small independent chain of gyms in central London which got taken over and turned into a budget gym.  It was very convenient though as the whole course was on weekends and over a period of about 4 months.

The examining body was YMCA Fit.  There are a few others that are recognised as legit in the UK.  I think another is 'Premier Fit' or something.  the course cost about £2k I think.

Cheers Matt, yes from Kent in the UK. Thanks for the info, I’m going to do the level 2 course and go from there. Similar to yourself, mainly for myself and if I can get a couple of clients on the side then great. 

8 minutes ago, Craig2412 said:

Cheers Matt, yes from Kent in the UK. Thanks for the info, I’m going to do the level 2 course and go from there. Similar to yourself, mainly for myself and if I can get a couple of clients on the side then great. 

Also from Kent 👏 I’m looking forward to going back to the gym next week as we can resume outside classes ! 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I think you should ask your doctor, who prescribed you a course of testosterone. If you think purely logically, testosterone promotes hair growth. Because of this, some malfunction and restructuring in the body may occur, which at the very beginning will cause the loss of weaker and lifeless hair, but I think that then everything will get better and better. I also take testosterone, and besides, I use a supplement from Ligandrol LGD-4033 to go to the gym and stimulate my muscles. However, my hair is fine, so you can not worry too much. I don't think I'm that special, who doesn't have side effects; most likely everything is better than you expect

Edited by mykeernst

I'm quite a muscular guy, and some of my best gains have been focusing on heavy 5 rep sets as the base volume, and doing a few sets at the end in the 12 rep range just to finish off with a good pump.

I never had such great results working in the 8-12 "hypertrophy" range.

Check out my journey here: