If You Could Redo Anything In Your Hair Loss Journey What Would It Be?

• Administrators

I'll start, for me it's easy. I would have never quit minoxidil when I experienced a big shed back in 2008. I remember my hair was falling off in clumps. If I would've stayed on it, who knows I could've kept a lot more hair. Another one, I would have become a part of this forum a lot sooner. I probably would've gotten a hair transplant around 2012 instead of 2014. I could have had a few years with hair in my 20's. I would love to hear your guys thoughts.

• Like 4

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

This is a great topic Melvin

For me it would be starting finasteride an minoxidil much sooner and not delaying. I was in denial for awhile and that only hurt me. I'd also love to say I wish I could have had a transplant sooner but waiting until things stabilized was definitely the right choice. I was fortunate to have found this forum when researching doctors but would have liked to have seen it years previously for guidance/support.

• Like 2

I wish I had known of this forum and went to a recommended surgeon. I would have also been on minoxidil and finasteride a LOT earlier. 

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

So far it would have been like everyone else mentioned above, not having to go through that steep learning curve and denial about my situation, and started finasteride 3 years ago, would have likely held on to a good amount of density and may not have needed a surgery. 

• Like 1

Get another family with better genes? Seriously, though, I would have started fin as soon as I saw my receding temples but I doubt it would have changed the outcome much in the end. Likely would have delayed the hairloss but my uncles' hairlines would have still pointed me towards a NW6 eventually.

• Like 1

I wish I had spent a lot more time doing initial research to get a far better understanding of hair transplants, the techniques required to obtain natural results and who should be performing them.

For young(ish) people who are active on social media here in the UK, hair transplants have been peddled as something almost as routine as getting a haircut. Unfortunately I fell for this and opted for a cheap ‘surgery’ abroad 2 years ago (perhaps very easy to guess where) and I am now living with the consequences of a very unnatural result and the heartache that comes with it.

I am now on Finasteride and Minoxidil, and beginning the process of seeking repair work which will no doubt be expensive if the work is possible.

Edited by jmc90
  • Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, makehairgreatagain said:

This is a great topic Melvin

For me it would be starting finasteride an minoxidil much sooner and not delaying. I was in denial for awhile and that only hurt me. I'd also love to say I wish I could have had a transplant sooner but waiting until things stabilized was definitely the right choice. I was fortunate to have found this forum when researching doctors but would have liked to have seen it years previously for guidance/support.

Being in denial is a big one. I get pms by at least one 21-22 year old asking for HT advice because they were “born with a big forehead” or “receded temples.” Denial is a mother. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1) Get on Fin a couple years earlier.  2) Go to Shapiro Medical Group for my first surgery.  3) Not brush off experienced posters on this forum as hair snobs when I was a newbie.  I should have listened!  😭

But all is good now! 😎

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Administrators
15 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

1) Get on Fin a couple years earlier.  2) Go to Shapiro Medical Group for my first surgery.  3) Not brush off experienced posters on this forum as hair snobs when I was a newbie.  I should have listened!  😭

But all is good now! 😎

A lot of people do that, especially the young guys. I’ve heard guys tell me “whatever, I see great stuff from _ on IG” as if IG is the pinnacle for truth and sincerity 🤣

• Haha 1

View my thread

• Moderators

I thought about this a lot over the years and I honestly don't know what I could have changed or done differently that would have made much difference. I did everything correctly as far as I can tell, but even if I would have done things differently I would not have any more hair than I do now. That's the really depressing part of all this. I feel like my life has been pre determined and no matter what I do there is nothing that can change what is already set to happen. This is why I keep at it and don't stop trying even though many people tell me I should just give up and quit. I want to feel like I actually do have some say in what my life will be.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 1/26/2021 at 8:29 PM, TorontoMan said:

So far it would have been like everyone else mentioned above, not having to go through that steep learning curve and denial about my situation, and started finasteride 3 years ago, would have likely held on to a good amount of density and may not have needed a surgery. 

That was very much the same for me. The first 2 years I was in denial about losing my hair as it sometimes takes a couple years to accept you are started to lose your hair 

On 1/26/2021 at 10:32 PM, JohnAC71 said:

I would have definitely not started my ht journey in the Uk. I could have done so much better with proper research. Unfortunately a lot of us arrive on this forum after our first Ht

did u get a bad result with longveita?