Dr Lorenzo or Dr Couto?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, asterix0 said:

Hopefully me soon 🙂, I sent him an inquiry and would like to schedule surgery as soon as his schedule permits!

Nice, hope you’ll share your results with us.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...

There are hundreds (yes, literally hundreds) of reviews on the Spanish forum on Couto.

Couto is probably the best FUE surgeon in the world with Freitas. Feriduni is right up there. Lorenzo is on the same podium. He is probably the most knowledgeable of all but in terms of survival rates (practically 100%) on FUE Freitas and Couto are the best.

1 hour ago, mustang said:

There are hundreds (yes, literally hundreds) of reviews on the Spanish forum on Couto.

Couto is probably the best FUE surgeon in the world with Freitas. Feriduni is right up there. Lorenzo is on the same podium. He is probably the most knowledgeable of all but in terms of survival rates (practically 100%) on FUE Freitas and Couto are the best.

This just isn't true. There are many cases presented by Couto himself, usually the same ones shown on his YouTube channel, but not firsthand patient testimonials.

Last year, I got caught up in the Couto hype and tried to schedule surgery with him (I'm in the US). I asked his office if they had any patients they could get me in touch with to discuss their experience with him, particularly if he had done any work on someone with my hair type. They just told me to check out his YouTube channel.

It was really miserable to get his office to answer any questions. When they did, there was always something vague or evasive that made me uncomfortable.

There's no way you can know the graft survival rates of Freitas and Couto.

6 hours ago, PizzaWolf said:

This just isn't true. There are many cases presented by Couto himself, usually the same ones shown on his YouTube channel, but not firsthand patient testimonials.

Last year, I got caught up in the Couto hype and tried to schedule surgery with him (I'm in the US). I asked his office if they had any patients they could get me in touch with to discuss their experience with him, particularly if he had done any work on someone with my hair type. They just told me to check out his YouTube channel.

It was really miserable to get his office to answer any questions. When they did, there was always something vague or evasive that made me uncomfortable.

There's no way you can know the graft survival rates of Freitas and Couto.

Correct, many cases presented by Couto himself but there also many (dozens) of patient testimonials if you look well. I myself have 7 acquaintances and 2 friends that have had surgery with him and that's just me. If you live in Spain you would know several people that have had surgery with him but I stand corrected, there are several hundreds of cases shown on the forum, most presented by him and many testimonials by patients.

And yes, I do know, I had surgery with him and so did 2 friends. We counted the temple points and triquium post op and at 6 months and guess what? 100% growth. These are small 50 graft areas but it was consistent with all of us.

You don't need to knw much about HT to see Freitas patients. They even have videos assessing survival when shaves on NW6 and it was 98% or so.

Of course they are not interested in answering questions, they don't need to sell you their service, they have a huge waiting list of 3 years or longer. They basically told you here is the work we do, like it? great, book surgery. Don't like it and have dozens of questions? We don't have the time.

Not the ideal world but you have other options. Freitas, Lorenzo, Vila, Mwamba, Meyer, Feriduni, Lupanzula.

Any will give you a great results.

10 hours ago, mustang said:

Correct, many cases presented by Couto himself but there also many (dozens) of patient testimonials if you look well. I myself have 7 acquaintances and 2 friends that have had surgery with him and that's just me. If you live in Spain you would know several people that have had surgery with him but I stand corrected, there are several hundreds of cases shown on the forum, most presented by him and many testimonials by patients.

And yes, I do know, I had surgery with him and so did 2 friends. We counted the temple points and triquium post op and at 6 months and guess what? 100% growth. These are small 50 graft areas but it was consistent with all of us.

You don't need to knw much about HT to see Freitas patients. They even have videos assessing survival when shaves on NW6 and it was 98% or so.

Of course they are not interested in answering questions, they don't need to sell you their service, they have a huge waiting list of 3 years or longer. They basically told you here is the work we do, like it? great, book surgery. Don't like it and have dozens of questions? We don't have the time.

Not the ideal world but you have other options. Freitas, Lorenzo, Vila, Mwamba, Meyer, Feriduni, Lupanzula.

Any will give you a great results.

Saw this post on another forum which I thought was a bit odd compared to what you say above(?)

I had surgery with Couto

My result was OK. Not fantastic but better than average.

I had better yield with Feriduni, Mwamba and Vila

I have 3 friends who have had surgery with Dr Couto. 2 are extremely unhappy (one of them had a horrible result) and the other one is satisified

The amount of impressive work he does in non deniable

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

6 hours ago, 1978matt said:

Saw this post on another forum which I thought was a bit odd compared to what you say above(?)

I had surgery with Couto

I have 3 friends who have had surgery with Dr Couto. 2 are extremely unhappy (one of them had a horrible result) and the other one is satisified

True but

1 of them had an infection which was unlucky and they did a repair which was successful 

1 is unhappy but he is unhappy with all of his surgeries so it's highly subjective

My results with Couto were good, not fantastic but good. I have had a lot of work done and it's hard to yield good growth on scar tissue.

I still believe the amount of impressive work he has done is undeniable and regardless of my results not being spectacular I would recommend him to anybody

2 hours ago, mustang said:

True but

1 of them had an infection which was unlucky and they did a repair which was successful 

1 is unhappy but he is unhappy with all of his surgeries so it's highly subjective

My results with Couto were good, not fantastic but good. I have had a lot of work done and it's hard to yield good growth on scar tissue.

I still believe the amount of impressive work he has done is undeniable and regardless of my results not being spectacular I would recommend him to anybody

didnt you just say in the post above that you had 100% survival in your temple points? Why did u switch so many doctors if you were happy with one?

14 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

didnt you just say in the post above that you had 100% survival in your temple points? Why did u switch so many doctors if you were happy with one?

Yes, triquim and temple points. Virgin areas with 100% growth. The problem was we didn't use enough grafts, I needed at least another 750 to achieve full density in the frontal third thus my results were good but not incredible. I also had a little over extraction on the right side of my donor which I had to repair with a few BHT grafts so again, not ideal but nothing major. I would recommend Couto to anybody. He is on a different league. All clinics have outstanding cases and some OK or bad cases, even the best ones. Sometimes there is scar tissue, poor blood flow, infection or other factors that prevent full regrowth which has nothing to do with the Dr's skill or protocol.

Why I switched so many doctors I have explained already but I will make a full post with all my surgeries when I find the time.

My last surgery will probably be with a different doctor as well.

• Like 1

Dr. Couto. Definitely. His results are insane. From hairline design, through the density, to the donor area. Dr. Lorenzo is very good doctor, but his hairline design is disaster... 

Edited by miko

• 3 months later...

As conclusion, I think there is too much question marks around Dr.Couto? If all his instagram videos are true.. why dont he show up in forums? why dont he give an interview? why so very few clients give feedback?? why isn't well known and sprend like other succesfull surgeon..

I mean couto is not even part of hair transplant association? website not working.. etc...

Plz clarify if I am wrong or Plz give us some feedback around couto. or plz tell him to come talk to forums or his clients.

Personnaly I have an appointment with couto in June. but I think I will cancel..

Let me know your thoughts!

On 1/20/2021 at 11:55 AM, selem banza said:

As conclusion, I think there is too much question marks around Dr.Couto? If all his instagram videos are true.. why dont he show up in forums? why dont he give an interview? why so very few clients give feedback?? why isn't well known and sprend like other succesfull surgeon..

I mean couto is not even part of hair transplant association? website not working.. etc...

Plz clarify if I am wrong or Plz give us some feedback around couto. or plz tell him to come talk to forums or his clients.

Personnaly I have an appointment with couto in June. but I think I will cancel..

Let me know your thoughts!

Paranoia uh?

Some facts

1) Couto is the most successful FUE hair transplant surgeon in the world

2) Couto has a 2-3 year waiting list for surgery. So much he doesn't even need a website 

3) I had surgery with him. Go to his practice on a Saturday and see how many people are there. He is full of patients.

4) He does post cases every week in the Spanish forum. He not interested on this one.

5) You will regret cancelling. Nobody out there who is better.

1 hour ago, mustang said:

Paranoia uh?

Some facts

2) Couto has a 2-3 year waiting list for surgery. So much he doesn't even need a website 

3) I had surgery with him. Go to his practice on a Saturday and see how many people are there. He is full of patients.

4) He does post cases every week in the Spanish forum. He not interested on this one.

Could I ask you to post some pre-op/post-op pics from your HT with Dr. Couto? Thanks. I also think that according his waiting list he doesn´t need any website. But it is interesting that it is almost impossible to find results posted by his patients...

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, miko said:

Could I ask you to post some pre-op/post-op pics from your HT with Dr. Couto? Thanks. I also think that according his waiting list he doesn´t need any website. But it is interesting that it is almost impossible to find results posted by his patients...

Personally, I believe Dr. Cuoto has the right stuff to be recommended, but it would be nice to see some real reviews. I do think that his wait times are somewhat hindering him.

That’s why I think it would be a good idea to mentor someone like Dr. Lorenzo did with Dr. Ferreira, you get the option of still having the Cuoto touch, but perhaps at a lower cost.  Plus, now BF has become a skilled and talented surgeon in his own right.

@mustang 

I would love if you could write a comprehensive review on all of the world clas surgeons you’ve been too. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 hours ago, mustang said:

Paranoia uh?

Some facts

Hi mustang,

Thank you for your info about Couto. But can you post your pics to see work he did on you?

4 hours ago, halo said:

Hi mustang,

Thank you for your info about Couto. But can you post your pics to see work he did on you?

Hi mustang. Thank you for your informative message.

Well I would like to believe, and i am not septic.

Please can you send us pictures of your experience or another person that you that can testify on the results he had with dr.couto.

I think this excatly what have been concerned us, is that to little information and testimony for such a great results.

Looking forward.

Thank you 

13 hours ago, mustang said:

Paranoia uh?

Some facts

On 10/16/2020 at 9:33 AM, 1978matt said:

I had surgery with Couto

Mustang already previously said that his result was just "OK", FYI. I found it confusing. I'd also like to see pics.

On 1/21/2021 at 8:58 PM, mustang said:

Paranoia uh?

Some facts

These are good data points but i think it's important to break each of them down a bit further; especially if they're being used to make a decision on what clinic, or doctor to pick. My replies to these points are as follows:

1. RE: successful surgeon in the world. Successful based on what? Did he make the most money? Do other surgeons line up for advice?  Happiest clients? Are his results deemed better than anyone else? And by whom? Does he have the best marketing? My point here is its tricky to measure "successful" beyond a generalisation; unless a specific context is added. It's certainly reasonable to say you feel he's the best, but what are you basing that on?

2. RE: a long waiting list. How is he acquiring his clients? Does volume of clients equate to quality? Perhaps his marketing in his home market is best?

3. RE: He is full of patients. Perhaps this implies he needs a better admin system for handling them all? To me it reads he is crammed. 

4. RE: He is not interested in this [forum]. Does that mean he does his best work with his home market? Does the Mediterranean client base have a specific hair type that he deals best with? What I mean here is that if I'm going to get something as important as surgery, I want to know i'm looked after (ideally in my own language) and not pushed through a hair mill; regardless who the operator is. 

5. RE: You will regret cancelling. There may be regrets ...or not! It's difficult to discern what 'better' means. I have previously read (perhaps incorrectly?) that Couto packs in grafts to hairlines to create a powerful result. I'm not a surgeon so I can't say if that's a good practice; however, I would consider IF that is  indeed correct, what the implications are to the rest of the hair through the lifetime. Perhaps there is less donor hair to use in future; or implications we don't fully understand. Something to investigate further. 

I think there are surgeons out there who do great work and create impressive results. It seems Couto is one of them. However, due to a lack of English materials (which again, probably isn't his target market) it isn't clear where: 1) his strengths are beyond testimonial videos; 2) what the overall experience is in working with him; and 3) what relationship to expect during the process. 

Edited by Smash
  • Like 1