Dr Lorenzo or Dr Couto?

Hi guys,

If you were to choose out of those 2 doctors which one would you think about going to? Dr Lorenzo or Dr Couto.
Sorry for asking! I'm really keen to get this done by the best. Thanks so much..

• Like 1

@Nugget I believe Dr. Couto is fully booked for next 12 months (maybe even longer but do call to confirm and let us know). 

Dr. Lorenzo is delegating surgeries to the other Doctor at the clinic Dr. Bruno Ferreira. You can go directly to Dr. Bruno Ferreira own clinic in Porto and pay 2.5€/graft instead of paying 5/€graft at Dr. Lorenzo Madrid clinic and still have Dr. Bruno do your surgery. 

I had a procedure with Lorenzo myself and had a very average/sub par result. He does 3-4 patients a day so it’s a bit rushed. Couto seems to do more with less grafts and with more precision. His recipients look very good post surgery. However, Lorenzo has more cases posted online than any doctor I’ve seen. Couto likely only posts his homeruns on his YouTube.

lorenzo has some of the best crown work but his hairlines are quite generic. Couto has hairline design down to an art imo.

coutos waiting list is insane (5+ years last I heard) and Lorenzo can likely get u in about 6 months.

If I had to do my case over again I’d probably go to Freitas, HLC, or wong/hasson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LonelyGraft said:

I had a procedure with Lorenzo myself and had a very average/sub par result. He does 3-4 patients a day so it’s a bit rushed. Couto seems to do more with less grafts and with more precision. His recipients look very good post surgery. However, Lorenzo has more cases posted online than any doctor I’ve seen. Couto likely only posts his homeruns on his YouTube.

lorenzo has some of the best crown work but his hairlines are quite generic. Couto has hairline design down to an art imo.

coutos waiting list is insane (5+ years last I heard) and Lorenzo can likely get u in about 6 months.

If I had to do my case over again I’d probably go to Freitas, HLC, or wong/hasson.

Yeh? Ok mate. I will send an email to Wong / Hasson. See what they say..so many choices...I hate this :(

20 hours ago, Portugal25 said:

@Nugget I believe Dr. Couto is fully booked for next 12 months (maybe even longer but do call to confirm and let us know). 

Dr. Lorenzo is delegating surgeries to the other Doctor at the clinic Dr. Bruno Ferreira. You can go directly to Dr. Bruno Ferreira own clinic in Porto and pay 2.5€/graft instead of paying 5/€graft at Dr. Lorenzo Madrid clinic and still have Dr. Bruno do your surgery. 

I don't want to interrupt this conversation, but just my 2 cents on this comment.
Dr. Ferreira told me during my surgery that while he is working in Dr. Lorenzo's clinic he MUST follow his guidelines, while in Porto he is/might be using different approaches. (don't ask me for specifics, I'm just repeating what Dr. Ferreira told me). I would still say surgery under Lorenzo's supervision in my opinion is better/safer than without as he has much more experience in different situations. Like they say, 2 heads are better than 1. Not to discredit Dr. Ferreira, he is fantastic surgeon and I'm over the moon so far with what I've got, but purely from perspective point of view, if I had this 2 choices, I would go for Dr. Lorenzo's clinic.

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

35 minutes ago, Rolandas said:

I don't want to interrupt this conversation, but just my 2 cents on this comment.
Dr. Ferreira told me during my surgery that while he is working in Dr. Lorenzo's clinic he MUST follow his guidelines, while in Porto he is/might be using different approaches. (don't ask me for specifics, I'm just repeating what Dr. Ferreira told me). I would still say surgery under Lorenzo's supervision in my opinion is better/safer than without as he has much more experience in different situations. Like they say, 2 heads are better than 1. Not to discredit Dr. Ferreira, he is fantastic surgeon and I'm over the moon so far with what I've got, but purely from perspective point of view, if I had this 2 choices, I would go for Dr. Lorenzo's clinic.

Thanks mate. Waiting for his reply..

On 5/17/2020 at 7:16 AM, Nugget said:

Hi guys,

If you were to choose out of those 2 doctors which one would you think about going to? Dr Lorenzo or Dr Couto.
Sorry for asking! I'm really keen to get this done by the best. Thanks so much..

It´s a tough choice for sure. Bot are amazing doctors. What I see is that Lorenzo was the man back in the days and now Couto is the "new" Magician.
From what you see on their YouTube:

- Lorenzo just posts every single one of his cases, he has more than 800 videos and 13.000 Subscribers and you will see a lot of everything, some are great and some so so...

- Couto has by far the best cases, he has around 65 videos on YouTube with almost 45.000 Subscribers on his Channel... if he can get 800 videos and they are so great as the first 65, there would never be a discussion anymore that Dr Couto is the best hair transplant surgeon in the world...

But, it´s not an easy choice between 2 of the best in the world... let see what they tell you about their availability.

Last video by Couto

Last video by Lorenzo

11 hours ago, OliverAtom said:

It´s a tough choice for sure. Bot are amazing doctors. What I see is that Lorenzo was the man back in the days and now Couto is the "new" Magician.
From what you see on their YouTube:

- Lorenzo just posts every single one of his cases, he has more than 800 videos and 13.000 Subscribers and you will see a lot of everything, some are great and some so so...

- Couto has by far the best cases, he has around 65 videos on YouTube with almost 45.000 Subscribers on his Channel... if he can get 800 videos and they are so great as the first 65, there would never be a discussion anymore that Dr Couto is the best hair transplant surgeon in the world...

But, it´s not an easy choice between 2 of the best in the world... let see what they tell you about their availability.

Last video by Couto

Last video by Lorenzo

Thanks mate. Still waiting for a reply. I'm really leaning towards HLC now....

• 3 months later...
On 5/18/2020 at 1:13 AM, LonelyGraft said:

Hey man, I was thinking of Lorenzo myself but wasn't so sure about the 3-4 surgeries a day and sometimes still being able to see scalp post transplant (not sure if this is just too high patient expectations) Do you have any pictures of the result Dr Lorenzo gave you? Would really appreciate it as I'm from the UK and all of his results on his website are spanish patients

Edited by Ramo

I would be really wary of the hype around Couto at this point. He has very few direct patient reviews, even on the Spanish forums. Kinda weird if he's such a meistro.

Also, there was a thread on here fairly recently where someone dredged up a photo posted from a Spanish forum--one from an actual Couto patient--and it was a pretty unimpressive result.

I've also heard some conflicting reports about Dr. Lorenzo. Some are saying that they were the only patient he operated on for the day, and it was definitely him that did the surgery. It might be worth trying to get clarification from his clinic, rather than speculation. Dr. Lorenzo has a ton of experience with many complex cases throughout the years.

Best of luck.

11 hours ago, PizzaWolf said:

I would be really wary of the hype around Couto at this point. He has very few direct patient reviews, even on the Spanish forums. Kinda weird if he's such a meistro.

Also, there was a thread on here fairly recently where someone dredged up a photo posted from a Spanish forum--one from an actual Couto patient--and it was a pretty unimpressive result.

I've also heard some conflicting reports about Dr. Lorenzo. Some are saying that they were the only patient he operated on for the day, and it was definitely him that did the surgery. It might be worth trying to get clarification from his clinic, rather than speculation. Dr. Lorenzo has a ton of experience with many complex cases throughout the years.

Best of luck.

I spoke to Dr Lorenzo's clinic yesterday. They do 3-4 operations a day, technicians do the extraction, he does the implantation with an implanter pen

Edited by Ramo

8 minutes ago, Ramo said:

I spoke to Dr Lorenzo's clinic yesterday. They do 3-4 operations a day, technicians do the extraction, he does the implantation.

Ah damn. I was recently considering Lorenzo because I am a complicated case with a weak donor, and he has tons of those examples on his youtube. But I don't feel as confident about him knowing that they're operating on 3 other people at the same time..

1 minute ago, giegnosiganoe said:

Ah damn. I was recently considering Lorenzo because I am a complicated case with a weak donor, and he has tons of those examples on his youtube. But I don't feel as confident about him knowing that they're operating on 3 other people at the same time..

Yeah, I was thinking that too. But if 3-4 transplants are working for them - and they get the results they have on youtube - maybe it isn't really a problem? idk. I wanna see what LonelyGraft has to say as he said he had an average result by Lorenzo - would be interesting to see/hear more!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Jury is out with me with regards to Couto, up to 2 year waiting list. No real world reviews. Only the YouTube vids and cherry picked cases to see.

One day we might see a result on this forum so we can better judge his work.

Edited by Ramo

As for Dr Couto - he doesnt even do online assessments now, his waiting list is very very long, it's really pointless to set a date for 2 or 3 years imo, and they seem very busy and you have to chase them for every question you have. I get they have high demand, but I dont think it's smart to have a procedure with this type of customer service, what about post procedure care? will I have to chase them for every little thing?

10 hours ago, karatekid said:

As for Dr Couto - he doesnt even do online assessments now, his waiting list is very very long, it's really pointless to set a date for 2 or 3 years imo, and they seem very busy and you have to chase them for every question you have. I get they have high demand, but I dont think it's smart to have a procedure with this type of customer service, what about post procedure care? will I have to chase them for every little thing?

https://bellicapelli.forumfree.it/?t=74988151 Italian Forum with a couto patient report - a decent result, but slightly thin hairline - removes the illusion that couto just gives everyone elvis presley hair. Would be cautious of english forums which generally have no patient testimonials whatsoever and is rather just an echo chamber of people who have never had surgery with him but just seen a few of his videos online. (I'm sure couto is very good, don't get me wrong, but this is important to point out). It's always worth going on foreign forums (google translates the page for you) as it gives you a lot more patient testimonials for some european clinics.

Edited by Ramo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ramo said:

https://bellicapelli.forumfree.it/?t=74988151 Italian Forum with a couto patient report - a decent result, but slightly thin hairline - removes the illusion that couto just gives everyone elvis presley hair. Would be cautious of english forums which generally have no patient testimonials whatsoever and is rather just an echo chamber of people who have never had surgery with him but just seen a few of his videos online. (I'm sure couto is very good, don't get me wrong, but this is important to point out). It's always worth going on foreign forums (google translates the page for you) as it gives you a lot more patient testimonials for some european clinics.

Well, I didnt say anything about the quality, only talked about the client relations. But if you want my opinion - one patient review that you saw isnt really indication for anything of course. As I commented here in another thread, I have seen several of his cases in the spanish forum, and the results look quite good, the point is it is hard to compare some photos taken by low quality cam in shitty lights to HQ videos as posted in his youtube channel, so it's not a simple comparison. But ye bottom line I dont think he really gives everyone the elvis hair. Are his results for the average patient still better than the other top doctors? dont know...

hi

ive had a look on spanish forums too... is it a maybe case that there are no bad reviews because he brings people back for touch ups and most people are happy ? the spanish forums all do say he is very attentive and takes a lot of pride in getting it right ... i would really like to hear from someone who has been to him though !  

• 2 weeks later...

I've had work done by Dr. Lorenzo.

I've written about the first experience on this forum; and the second will be written up in due course. In both instances I've had extremely good results. There were several other patients being seen to on the same day but this didn't seem an issue at any point in both my experiences. I think Lorenzo's just got a highly efficient team & systems in place and has evolved into this approach. 

Edited by Smash
typos

20 hours ago, jimmyT said:

thanks i will take a look

why did u choose lorenzo over couto?

on your travels to spain did u hear of anyone that went to couto and what the result was like ? 

I heard about him many years before through a friend. I researched everyone and found both him and Dr. Feriduni most accomplished. I didn't know about Dr. Couto and have no recollection of anyone mentioning him whilst I was in Spain. If I had, I believe I still would have selected Dr. Lorenzo, or one of his protégés; based on my appreciation of the apprenticeship model of teaching and skill acquisition.     

Edited by Smash
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Dr. Lorenzo was considered the best FUE surgeon in the world when I first started researching hair transplants. I recall he worked with Dr. Farjo in the UK. I have seen some amazing work from Dr. Cuoto, as i'm sure most of you have as well. I haven't seen any patient reviews. I do weigh patient reviews the heaviest. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@Melvin-Moderatorhave any Dr. Zarev reviews here? 😜

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.