Official Thread: Have you experienced side effects from finasteride? (Poll)

In your opinion, have you experienced side effects from finasteride?  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, sukh123 said:

You said “altering your hormones” , if you did your research you would know fin as a result of reducing dht has an effect on your testosterone, estrogeon , lh and fsh which is why having them at optimum levels when your older can negate the reduction in dht. Which is why it’s important to get them tested . The drug is not for everyone and for most doesn’t cause sides , but the only way to know is to try it. If you get sides you can stop it . But you have to live with the fact you will keep balding and advance quicker to higher norwoods . No one wants to have a hair transplant which is far from certain going to work and also neglecting the fact if you keep losing hair you need to keep getting them and donor is finite . 

Yes, DHT is a male sex hormone? One which you've substantially reduced?

It's not the effects on other levels you're looking for, its the cascade effects of DHT being reduced, just one of which is your test/estrogen coversion. Lowering of DHT is even effecting the hair foliciles on your head for god sake.

No offence, but you clearly have no idea what you're on about and have no education in these areas. This is why I don't think it's good to have an isolated forum of people giving their opinion on taking finasteride, who are both uneducated and place a great importance on their hair loss. Your opinion on the balance of taking the drug is skewed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joocee said:

Yes, DHT is a male sex hormone? One which you've substantially reduced?

It's not the effects on other levels you're looking for, its the cascade effects of DHT being reduced, just one of which is your test/estrogen coversion. Lowering of DHT is even effecting the hair foliciles on your head for god sake.

No offence, but you clearly have no idea what you're on about and have no education in these areas. This is why I don't think it's good to have an isolated forum of people giving their opinion on taking finasteride, who are both uneducated and place a great importance on their hair loss. Your opinion on the balance of taking the drug is skewed. 

With all due respect it’s seems you who are the one who is uneducated on this topic and  it’s why I have stabilised my hair loss and your having to spend thousands on a transplant that is no guarantee it will work . You clearly have an uneducated approach to your research and going by your spelling of affected as “effected” adds credence to that  . Why else do millions  of men who reduce their dht function perfectly, your going with the consensus that the minute you reduce your dht you going to cause yourself problems . That’s not the case , while no one’s wants to reduce their Dht myself included.It’s after weighing  up the pros and cons and doing in depth research I decided to take it and it’s worked out well. The fact is , this is the only gold standard treatment for hair loss and the only treatment to stop more hair loss , which a transplant will never do . Native density will never be replicated through a transplant just the illusion.

10 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

With all due respect it’s seems you who are the one who is uneducated on this topic and  it’s why I have stabilised my hair loss and your having to spend thousands on a transplant that is no guarantee it will work . You clearly have an uneducated approach to your research and going by your spelling of affected as “effected” adds credence to that  . Why else do millions  of men who reduce their dht function perfectly, your going with the consensus that the minute you reduce your dht you going to cause yourself problems . That’s not the case , while no one’s wants to reduce their Dht myself included.It’s after weighing  up the pros and cons and doing in depth research I decided to take it and it’s worked out well. The fact is , this is the only gold standard treatment for hair loss and the only treatment to stop more hair loss , which a transplant will never do . Native density will never be replicated through a transplant just the illusion.

Classic off-topic deflection when everything you've said is shown to be absolute drivel and incorrect. 

You do you buddy. 

7 minutes ago, Joocee said:

Classic off-topic deflection when everything you've said is shown to be absolute drivel and incorrect. 

You do you buddy. 

Everything I said is true , vast majority don’t have side effects and function fine. Your obviously ignorant about that because either you got sides or didn’t want to take the drug’ out of fear of getting them and that fine . 

Edited by sukh123

10 hours ago, sunsurfhair said:

You’re an extremely disturbed individual who isn’t paying attention to any of the science or facts. @Melvin- Moderator this guy seriously needs to be banned at this point with the way he is acting to multiple members of the forum, attacking and disseminating factually inaccurate information. 

Banned for what? For disagreeing and presenting a differing opinion? 

You are the second person to outright insult me in this thread. I have respectfully presented my opinion without resorting to personal attacks towards anyone here. 

The only reason I got involved in this thread is because I lost my hairs due this exact fearmongering about PFS - If I had known how safe fin is, I would’ve started earlier - so I simply tried to show the opposite side but clearly this is an extremely dangerous argument to be involved in and I value my membership here so I will just become a silent lurker. Please don’t ban me. 

14 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

Everything I said is true , vast majority don’t have side effects and function fine. Your obviously ignorant about that because either you got sides or didn’t want to take the drug’ out of fear of getting them and that fine . 

All you need to do is spend a little time on this forum to realize the statement "Vast majority don't have side effects" is totally incorrect. Anyone who think it's 1-2% is deluding themselves at this point. 

I was just randomly looking around at other threads and saw this. Didn't even go looking for it: 

I essentially couldn't maintain an erection no matter what. I tried to ride it out, but it seems like I was extremely prone.

It took years for me to gain back sensitivity, and even then, I never recovered 100%. My hair was exceptional though when I was on fin. 

There are people who get sides immediately. There are people who get sides after months. There are people who get sides after years. There are people who get sides after decades. Some people never get noticeable sides, but could potentially still be doing damage to various organs/structures/processes. So if it's worth it go ahead, but a lot of guys have other options IE Minoxidil, hair transplants, BH transplants etc. I just don't understand why people risk so much to hold onto some hair when their are other viable options out there (Albeit less effective depending on your situation)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Also, under that post Sukh says he estimates 33% get sides from Fin. 1/3 of people taking it getting sides, but vast majority don't get sides? Which is it? 

I think it might be a good idea if you could provide a figure backed by data to demonstrate how many are affected by side affects. Both serious and those considered within a range that can be "tolerated". 

I would still say 66% is a large majority but if the 33/34% was true in terms of serious side affects, i've already mentioned how we would have lawsuits galore  which we don't. So, if the truth is more than 1-2%, how much more is the question and needs solid data to back it up. Personally i think the results of serious persistent side affects are less than 5% if not closer to 2%. I'll even say up to 20% could suffer from sides that are stopped or mitigated with adjusted dosage or stopping. 

Even if we use an 80/20 rule, i'd argue the 20% there, the majority would recover from sides once they stop. 

So, i know you have access to plenty of studies on speed dials, any for a % of side affects? 

2 hours ago, RTC said:

You are exactly the type who likes to demonise and suppress opinions that don't mesh with your own.

Yep, I am everything that’s wrong with the world and you are the ultimate knowledge bearers and example of morality and I should be insulted, assumptions made about me and banned. 

Now stop tagging me and leave me to what I said - silent lurking. I have expressed my desire to not want to be involved because I value my membership more and I don’t wish to respond in the manner that your kind has done towards me so far. If you keep tagging me I can’t do that. 

🤌

Edited by LookMaxx

13 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

I think it might be a good idea if you could provide a figure backed by data to demonstrate how many are affected by side affects. Both serious and those considered within a range that can be "tolerated". 

I would still say 66% is a large majority but if the 33/34% was true in terms of serious side affects, i've already mentioned how we would have lawsuits galore  which we don't. So, if the truth is more than 1-2%, how much more is the question and needs solid data to back it up. Personally i think the results of serious persistent side affects are less than 5% if not closer to 2%. I'll even say up to 20% could suffer from sides that are stopped or mitigated with adjusted dosage or stopping. 

Even if we use an 80/20 rule, i'd argue the 20% there, the majority would recover from sides once they stop. 

So, i know you have access to plenty of studies on speed dials, any for a % of side affects? 

To be clear, I was simply bringing up the fact that in this thread Sukh said vast majority of men don't get sides on Fin, but in another thread he said 33% do. 33% is 1 out of every 3 so kind of contradictory statements. 

• Administrators

Guys,

This is why arguments are futile. They only strengthen the opposing views because egos get involved. I think finasteride isn’t a poisonous medication. It’s not perfect either. Let’s try and look at things from the lens of opposing views.

For pro-FUE, imagine suffering from all the sides you hear about. I doubt you would be vociferously boasting that sides are a hoax and that people who complain are nut jobs, or have psychological issues. 

For those anti-Fin, imagine taking fin and having zero issues, and stopping hair loss dead in it’s tracks. Possibly even regrowing a significant amount of hair. I doubt you would be saying the drug is poison and altering hormones is dangerous. 

We should look at situations from the others perspective, we would all be a lot more understanding if we did. It’s fair to say side effects occur, it is also fair to say that fin can help many. It depends on the individual. 

• Like 7

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

19 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

To be clear, I was simply bringing up the fact that in this thread Sukh said vast majority of men don't get sides on Fin, but in another thread he said 33% do. 33% is 1 out of every 3 so kind of contradictory statements. 

I was referring to this forum  with regards to that percentage where as the general population it’s less. This thread is going in circles now . If you want to take it , then take it . If you don’t , then don’t simple as that 

Edited by sukh123

9 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Guys,

This is why arguments are futile. They only strengthen the opposing views because egos get involved. I think finasteride isn’t a poisonous medication. It’s not perfect either. Let’s try and look at things from the lens of opposing views.

For pro-FUE, imagine suffering from all the sides you hear about. I doubt you would be vociferously boasting that sides are a hoax and that people who complain are nut jobs, or have psychological issues. 

For those anti-Fin, imagine taking fin and having zero issues, and stopping hair loss dead in it’s tracks. Possibly even regrowing a significant amount of hair. I doubt you would be saying the drug is poison and altering hormones is dangerous. 

We should look at situations from the others perspective, we would all be a lot more understanding if we did. It’s fair to say side effects occur, it is also fair to say that fin can help many. It depends on the individual. 

Tbf Melvin, i don't think anybody at least to my recollection that's been more positive towards Finasteride and using it has ever claimed side affects are a hoax and in fact, i'd like to think the vast majority of posts here have been aware of that and referenced it can happen. 

The opposite side however aren't just viewing it the way you're mentioning, but actively citing unknowns like long term changes to the body etc. without any clinical evidence rather than staying focused on the actual clinical data and numbers showing how many people are affected. 

Usually a meta analysis is best to use because they already have done the scientific testing of studies and eliminated problematic studies. Yet i'd wager those aren't of interest because they show a view that's not aligning with the message being presented by some here against Finasteride. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

The opposite side however aren't just viewing it the way you're mentioning, but actively citing unknowns like long term changes to the body etc. without any clinical evidence rather than staying focused on the actual clinical data and numbers showing how many people are affected. 

You can say that, but I've posted numerous studies on the role of DHT (Which we all agree Fin/Dut lowers pretty dramatically) in kidney function, liver function, ocular function, bone function, prostrate function etc. Some people might be able to get by just fine on chronically low DHT levels for the rest of their life. But even that is a risk because you might not get noticeable side effects until you've used it for years and years.

Look, its a gamble. Everything in life comes with risks. This is especially true with Fin/Dut because the half life is long and you have to take it for the rest of your life which will cause a build up in your body. If that risk is worth it to keep your hair go for it, it does seem to do a good job at retaining hair for most (But not all) people. I've said a million times that it's up you whether you want to take it. There are certainly people who have been on it for decades now who report no sides. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

I've said a million times that it's up you whether you want to take it.

We don't know where you get all the time to post a million times, but you do, and if you can do it one more time, that will be 2 million times! And you'll have changed the minds of ...2 people?  :D

Working from home does offer me a lot more free time than your average person it's true. But getting a HT and going on an endocrine disrupting medication are two fairly important decisions, so yes I find it important to discuss both topics just to better educate myself on the pros and cons. 

I don't care about convincing anyone. If you want to crater your levels of a key male hormone you are welcome to. But your cheap attempts to insult me will fall flat. 

6 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Working from home does offer me a lot more free time than your average person it's true. But getting a HT and going on an endocrine disrupting medication are two fairly important decisions, so yes I find it important to discuss both topics just to better educate myself on the pros and cons. 

I don't care about convincing anyone. If you want to crater your levels of a key male hormone you are welcome to. But your cheap attempts to insult me will fall flat. 

Like millions of other guys, I've been cratering my DHT for over 15 years now and loving every extra hair-covered moment of it! 

And I'm going to talk to your boss about getting some monitoring software on your computer. To help you fight this strange obsession to constantly argue when you don't even care about convincing anyone! xD

Edited by ciaus
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, ciaus said:

Like millions of other guys, I've been cratering my DHT for over 15 years now and loving every extra hair-covered moment of it! 

And I'm going to talk to your boss about getting some monitoring software on your computer. To help you fight this strange obsession to constantly argue when you don't even care about convincing anyone! xD

Look I get it, this is a personal topic for you. And it really isn't for me. But just being honest your behavior seems pretty feminine. Maybe some DHT would be good for your mood? 

1 minute ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Look I get it, this is a personal topic for you. And it really isn't for me. But just being honest your behavior seems pretty feminine. Maybe some DHT would be good for your mood? 

I'm sure he'll be fine with his "feminine" behavior whilst retaining his hair. You don't need to be so concerned for him ;)

Just now, NARMAK said:

I'm sure he'll be fine with his "feminine" behavior whilst retaining his hair. You don't need to be so concerned for him ;)

Again, can't help but feel how personal you guys are taking this topic. All because someone had the nerve to come here and say "Actually DHT has a lot of proven functions". Keep seething and coping. 

8 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Again, can't help but feel how personal you guys are taking this topic. All because someone had the nerve to come here and say "Actually DHT has a lot of proven functions". Keep seething and coping. 

You talk about being personal and don't even realise the irony after your last post. 

I appreciate the objective opinions you have given and clinical data, but i don't think anybody is seething. 

• Like 1