Official Thread: Have you experienced side effects from finasteride? (Poll)

In your opinion, have you experienced side effects from finasteride?  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

51 minutes ago, BaldV said:

why dont you stop taking it then?

It still *works* down there, but I just have no interest.
As of right now it doesn't really bother me.  But if I want change, people recommend taking it every other day rather than every day.

Edited by SeanToman

1 minute ago, RTC said:

Honestly not normal..

Finasteride is known to decrease libido in a lot of men.  It's certainly been a side effect in my experience.

I'll try every other day as an experiment and let you know how it goes. :)

9 hours ago, sukh123 said:

well maybe you should consider topical dutasteride, only requires once-a-week application initially and the systemic absorption is supposed to be very low. I'm considering using dr mwamba's one as a lot of people on this forum have had success with it and reported a minimum decrease in their serum DHT. 

Sorry I don't play with my manhood :D

Even topical Min I would rather not take, but like I said would be an interesting experiment to use oral Min for 6 months, get the growth, and then switch to topical to see if you can hold onto it. I wouldn't do it but interesting experiment 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

41 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Sorry I don't play with my manhood :D

Maybe you get to use your expert knowledge to explain finasteride effects on neurosteroids   and the potential repercussions 

Edited by sukh123

12 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Says the guy lowering one of the main hormones that LITERALLY makes you a man.... 

yeh but that before  you become an adult , dht is not needed for male development after that . Next your going to tell me when you say dht three times in the mirror , the candy man going to come for you . 

Edited by sukh123
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RTC said:

I think you need to have a certain threshold for risk and weigh things up accordingly - topical dut once a week at a low dose isn't going to cause ED

I mean I was half joking as I hoped the emoji would imply. But nevertheless the half life of Dut is very long (5 weeks) so I would never consider even taking it topically once a week. I'm very protective of my endocrine system. Everyone's situation is different. My donor is great. My hair loss isn't super aggressive. And I have beard hair galore that matches my scalp hair well if I run out of donor 

24 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

yeh but that before  you become an adult , dht is not needed for male development after that . Next your going to tell me when you say dht three times in the mirror , the candy man going to come for you . 

You can keep telling yourself that but it doesn't make it true. I'm not saying you are going to castrate yourself, but lowering DHT is not ideal. I know you already know this because you've said as much, and have found keeping your hair more important. That's fine and I respect your bodily autonomy to do as you wish. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2549675/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7308241/

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13685530400016672

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

You can keep telling yourself that but it doesn't make it true. I'm not saying you are going to castrate yourself, but lowering DHT is not ideal. I know you already know this because you've said as much, and have found keeping your hair more important. That's fine and I respect your bodily autonomy to do as you wish. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2549675/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7308241/

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13685530400016672

Yeh I know that , I don’t want to reduce dht but I don’t get sexual side effects so I’m fine , and get bloodwork . What do you know about it’s effects on neurosteroids, that’s something that isn’t clear in the research 

• Administrators

Guys,

Why are you behaving like kids here? C’mon, posts getting reported. Finasteride is a personal choice. Does it cause sides? Yes. But not for everyone. IMO there’s no need to mess with the oral unless you can’t afford the topical version. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

16 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Guys,

Why are you behaving like kids here? C’mon, posts getting reported. Finasteride is a personal choice. Does it cause sides? Yes. But not for everyone. IMO there’s no need to mess with the oral unless you can’t afford the topical version. 

I havent seen anyone geting stabilized with topical in the long term Melvin

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Guys,

TBH, I don't think anyone has said anything that's super out of bounds. But nevertheless I agree it's a personal choice and that can be respected while still discussing the absolutely atrocious sides that can potentially come from oral or topical. Anyone reporting posts of anyone on either side of this discussion should probably toughen up...

43 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

Yeh I know that , I don’t want to reduce dht but I don’t get sexual side effects so I’m fine , and get bloodwork . What do you know about it’s effects on neurosteroids, that’s something that isn’t clear in the research 

I'm not well versed in this topic. I do believe it's established that Fin/Dut does indeed cross the blood-brain barrier which is definitely worrisome in and of itself. 

29 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

I'm not well versed in this topic. I do believe it's established that Fin/Dut does indeed cross the blood-brain barrier which is definitely worrisome in and of itself. 

Two sides to the coin

Do watch it because you seem to be spreading the notion that fin is really bad for brain health.

Also fin only blocks type 2 of 5ar while the brain has type 1 endogenous that’s more important. Dutasteride blocks type 1 and 2 and it’s effects are more pronounced on neurosteroids as such. Ironically, dutasteride is more neuroprotective due to its inhibition. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/5-alpha-dihydroprogesterone#:~:text=5α-Reductase type 1 is,Torres and Ortega%2C 2003).

5α-Reductase type 1 is by far the most abundant molecular form in the brain of rat, mouse and human (Melcangi et al., 1998; Russel and Wilson, 1994; Steckelbroeck et al., 2001; Stoffel-Wagner, 2003; Thigpen et al., 1993; Torres and Ortega, 2003)

If what you preach was true then dutasteride would’ve been worse but it’s the opposite and suppression of type 1 is beneficial. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28982631/

Watch the vid, kevin explains it all. I don’t have the stamina to type on my phone 

Edited by LookMaxx

The PFS foundation guys are really some vicious nasty people who spread lies to further their gains. Look there’s even a new study but they would have you believe finasteride and dutasteride ruins lives. 

Dutasteride: possible new treatment in retinal degenerations

https://iovs.arvojournals.org/article.aspx?articleid=2781153

• Administrators

The funny thing with arguments is that no one ever wins. You can quote studies, bring up specific cases, and all that will ever do is strengthen the other person’s position. 

While yes, I agree that topical finasteride hasn’t been studied long term. Will it lose efficacy over time? No body knows. I believe it’s definitely worth trying if you’re getting side effects, or unwilling to use the oral version. 

The truth is always somewhere in the middle. To say side effects are nonsense or a hoax is foolish. To pretend that this medication is poison, is also foolish. It may or may not be a good option for you as an individual. Thankfully, there are alternatives such as the topical version that appear to have a much lower side effect profile and half the systemic reduction. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, LookMaxx said:

Two sides to the coin

Do watch it because you seem to be spreading the notion that fin is really bad for brain health.

Also fin only blocks type 2 of 5ar while the brain has type 1 endogenous that’s more important. Dutasteride blocks type 1 and 2 and it’s effects are more pronounced on neurosteroids as such. Ironically, dutasteride is more neuroprotective due to its inhibition. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/5-alpha-dihydroprogesterone#:~:text=5α-Reductase type 1 is,Torres and Ortega%2C 2003).

5α-Reductase type 1 is by far the most abundant molecular form in the brain of rat, mouse and human (Melcangi et al., 1998; Russel and Wilson, 1994; Steckelbroeck et al., 2001; Stoffel-Wagner, 2003; Thigpen et al., 1993; Torres and Ortega, 2003)

If what you preach was true then dutasteride would’ve been worse but it’s the opposite and suppression of type 1 is beneficial. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28982631/

Watch the vid, kevin explains it all. I don’t have the stamina to type on my phone 

Kevin Mann is someone I don't have a lot of respect for. When you call DHT a "trash hormone" you've kind of proven yourself to be scientifically illiterate. He is also a known bully which instantly makes him a joke to me. I will watch the video though because a broken clock is still right twice a day and I do like hearing opposing view points.  

The thing about peer reviewed studies (And I've made this point before) is that you can always find studies whose results conflict with one another. Their is also a big problem with the replicability crisis in peer review which you can Google if interested. So it's important of course to look at the meta-analyses (As Kevin does). But more important is to look at things from a "First Principles" perspective. So for example, we know DHT is key in development of males during puberty -  absolutely no one disputes this fact. But why would your body continue spending energy to produce it long after puberty if it didn't serve some beneficial physiological function? This isn't to say you can't have too high of levels of DHT either, and it isn't to say that DHT can't also serve some "negative" functions as well if things got out of wack. But generally First Principles thinking suggests it's a dangerous game to "Play God" with our hormones as long as their is no pressing physiological reason to do so (Cosmetic purposes do not meet my threshold here especially when their are alternatives like Minox and HT's). 

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

The funny thing with arguments is that no one ever wins. You can quote studies, bring up specific cases, and all that will ever do is strengthen the other person’s position. 

While yes, I agree that topical finasteride hasn’t been studied long term. Will it lose efficacy over time? No body knows. I believe it’s definitely worth trying if you’re getting side effects, or unwilling to use the oral version. 

The truth is always somewhere in the middle. To say side effects are nonsense or a hoax is foolish. To pretend that this medication is poison, is also foolish. It may or may not be a good option for you as an individual. Thankfully, there are alternatives such as the topical version that appear to have a much lower side effect profile and half the systemic reduction. 

Have you tried topical, Melvin? Or any intention to? 

1 hour ago, LookMaxx said:

The PFS foundation guys are really some vicious nasty people who spread lies to further their gains. Look there’s even a new study but they would have you believe finasteride and dutasteride ruins lives. 

Dutasteride: possible new treatment in retinal degenerations

https://iovs.arvojournals.org/article.aspx?articleid=2781153

Just because one study shows Dut has applications in one very specific disorder does not mean it isn't capable of ruining lives. Fin and Dut absolutely has ruined lives. Anyone who disputes this at this point is going against a large body of evidence (Both scientific and anecdotal). You painting with a broad brush and saying "The PFS guys are such and such" is crazy. You get any large enough group and of course their are going to be some vicious nasty people, that's the law of averages. But if you think everyone posting in the PFS forum is making it up I'd suggest you're the one being vicious and nasty. 

Edit: And just to be clear and not create drama, the reason I suggest you're being vicious and nasty is because if you ever found yourself in a situation where you had an adverse reaction to a drug that most others who took it did not get, I don't think you'd want people calling you a vicious nasty liar. 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

2 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

The PFS foundation guys are really some vicious nasty people who spread lies to further their gains.

'Vicious nasty people who spread lies"

I am 100% sure that a few months ago you were screaming at people in supermarkets to put on masks and pushing for everybody to receive mandatory vaccinations lmao

Edited by RTC
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

But if you think everyone posting in the PFS forum is making it up I'd suggest you're the one being vicious and nasty. 

Edit: And just to be clear and not create drama, the reason I suggest you're being vicious and nasty is because if you ever found yourself in a situation where you had an adverse reaction to a drug that most others who took it did not get, I don't think you'd want people calling you a vicious nasty liar. 

I was talking about the foundation but since you’re resorting to personal attacks against me now, I think I am done.

You are right about one thing, finasteride did ruin my life. I didn’t take it and became this ugly disgusting NW6 baldie.