Official Thread: Have you experienced side effects from finasteride? (Poll)

In your opinion, have you experienced side effects from finasteride?  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, Savemyhairline said:

Yeah, I was hard on myself for not starting fin early but honestly I’m kind of glad I waited till I was 25 (and a half) just to be safe. Probably could’ve saved more hair but I think 25 is the right age to do it. If you’re much younger and really aggressively balding you may have to look into other options beyond meds/transplants.

Honestly, and this is again a case by case basis, i think i would go back in time to when i was about 21, check blood tests etc. and have started then rather than wait till 31. Although visually i look like i still preserved quite a bit of hair, i cannot shake the feeling i have definitely lost more than i visually am seeing as an impact tbh 

That's why they say by the time we realise, 50% of the damage has already been done at least and why 50% of the original density is the ballpark to recreate a hairline etc. 

19 hours ago, Savemyhairline said:

Voted no. I recall at the very beginning I had VERY mild testicular pain but it was so minor that I didn’t even realize that could’ve been the finasteride until after the fact. I think it went away very quickly, I thought I just slept funny or something at the time. I wouldn’t even really count that as a side effect it was so minor. Sex drive is just as high as it was, nipples look the same, no brain fog, I think those are the usual suspects for people.

I had that as well, went away after a week. It was awkward, slight ache but very mild. Having the seam of your pants ride up on your junk, or sitting down on your junk hurt like 5x as bad for reference. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

No side effects after 4 months of daily use ~1.25mg/day. Bought in Turkey 5mg pills, per Dr. Gur's advice to cut them in quarters.

I'm in my early 40s. Erections have been as strong as usual, and I haven't experienced any of the post-finasteride sydrome symptoms described on Wikipedia in any degree higher than before.

18 hours ago, NARMAK said:

DHT plays a key role in masculine development up until about age 25 when a man has basically fully matured. Beyond that, it doesn't serve as important a function or we would have had significantly more cases of serious side affects and the medication withdrawn from market plus a ton more lawsuits. 

Incorrect, DHT serves a HUGE number of functions physiologically well past the age of 25. Please look at the links I posted. It's crazy to think your body would waste resources on converting T to DHT if it wasn't to serve a function. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Incorrect, DHT serves a HUGE number of functions physiologically well past the age of 25. Please look at the links I posted. It's crazy to think your body would waste resources on converting T to DHT if it wasn't to serve a function. 

I didn't say it didn't serve a function, just that after a biological male has matured around Age 25, there's been no significant cases of adverse effects reported by reducing it 70% or so like Finasteride does and if it had with huge side affects, it would have been a huge thing, not just sensationalist reporting by trash tabloids or for a fluff piece. 

If it was as important as you state, then the side affects would have been reported in droves. 

I'm pretty sure it's safe to then say that most healthy normal males can survive just fine on even 10% or so body serum DHT. 

I don't have the time to really go tracking through the studies but myself and likely millions of others forming the majority of users have made a choice to use the medication and if there is any long term impact, i've made my peace with accepting it give what i feel is the very low risk of permanent long term side affects. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

I didn't say it didn't serve a function, just that after a biological male has matured around Age 25, there's been no significant cases of adverse effects reported by reducing it 70% or so like Finasteride does and if it had with huge side affects, it would have been a huge thing, not just sensationalist reporting by trash tabloids or for a fluff piece. 

No significant cases of adverse effects? I can't tell if you're kidding? You're saying their have been no signifigant cases of adverse effects of people taking Finasteride? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, genuinely trying to understand what it is you're saying. There has also been tons of reporting on it.. And not from "trash tabloids"

19 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

If it was as important as you state, then the side affects would have been reported in droves. 

I'm pretty sure it's safe to then say that most healthy normal males can survive just fine on even 10% or so body serum DHT. 

I don't have the time to really go tracking through the studies but myself and likely millions of others forming the majority of users have made a choice to use the medication and if there is any long term impact, i've made my peace with accepting it give what i feel is the very low risk of permanent long term side affects. 

If I were taking an endocrine disrupting drug I would make "the time" to understand what I'm taking. I'm not even trying to convince you, more for others reading this thread possibly years from now long after I've left this forum who are considering taking it. If you and others want to use it fine, that has no bearing on me. But if you're going to keep saying crazy stuff like "no significant cases of adverse effects" I'm going to keep responding with data and facts to counter your feelings. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

If I were taking an endocrine disrupting drug I would make "the time" to understand what I'm taking

Everyone should take note of this because it is the most responsible thing you can do for yourself, for this, and or any other medication you may be potentially using for that matter. 

It is only then can you make an informed, and correct decision for yourself, taking into account all factors and personal emotions that you associate with hair loss or potential hair loss.  

Personally, I studied 5AR inhibition medication for over 6 years before coming to a decision and protocol that I was comfortable to pursue…. Which is why I can read both sides of extreme end perspectives on the matter, and maintain being at peace with what I do, because I made the decision based on everything that I had studied and learned.

Anyway - to add some helpful insight that I think a lot of people may find interesting, here’s a good podcast with the relevant time stamps to have a scan through, 

Far more detailed input than any hair loss surgeon will be able to go into, so take your advice from the relevant and qualified medical professionals. 

https://hubermanlab.com/how-to-optimize-your-hormones-for-health-and-vitality/

2 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Everyone should take note of this because it is the most responsible thing you can do for yourself, for this, and or any other medication you may be potentially using for that matter. 

It is only then can you make an informed, and correct decision for yourself, taking into account all factors and personal emotions that you associate with hair loss or potential hair loss.  

Personally, I studied 5AR inhibition medication for over 6 years before coming to a decision and protocol that I was comfortable to pursue…. Which is why I can read both sides of extreme end perspectives on the matter, and maintain being at peace with what I do, because I made the decision based on everything that I had studied and learned.

Anyway - to add some helpful insight that I think a lot of people may find interesting, here’s a good podcast with the relevant time stamps to have a scan through, 

Far more detailed input than any hair loss surgeon will be able to go into, so take your advice from the relevant and qualified medical professionals. 

https://hubermanlab.com/how-to-optimize-your-hormones-for-health-and-vitality/

Thank you kindly. For the record, I don't disagree that a lot of people seem to tolerate Fin/Dut well. The long term consequences of lowering your DHT worry me but that isn't to say it's the end of the world for a lot of people. I suspect genetics play a big part. 

Mainly though I'm just replying just to say I also love Andrew Huberman! I've implemented his "morning sun walks" into my routine recently and it really helps with sleep quality and consistency. 

6 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

I think this is also very a key point. People take the word of their HT surgeon or their general practitioner as if it's gospel. "Why would I care what you say, my GP/Surgeon told me this stuff was totally safe!"

TBQH a lot of GP's/Surgeons do not know a lick about endocrine health. Most people assume that if a drug made it through FDA protocols that it's A-OK. Time has repeatedly proven that to be incorrect. You really do have to seek out people who have made it their life work to understand these systems and these drugs. Not all endocrinologists are created equal either. 

7 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

The long term consequences of lowering your DHT worry me but that isn't to say it's the end of the world for a lot of people. I suspect genetics play a big part. 

I agree.

Look, ideally, given the choice, no one wants to alter their hormone profile in any form of negative way, however, as it stands, it is the only effective way we have of combatting hair loss right now, therefore, the trade off between running into potentially long term unknowns vs. maintaining your hair and not balding during your lifetime, will be appealing for some, and not so much for others. The beauty of freedom of choice ey? 

Dutasteride mesotherapy is VERY interesting, yet unfortunately doesn’t seem to be taking off across the Atlantic like it is in Europe, but I know some inactive users on here who I speak to and they are experiencing very encouraging things right now. 

Hubermans great. 

Edited by Curious25
  • Like 1

Based on my research, I feel comfortable inhibiting my DHT by ~70%. I’m also the type of person who sometimes worries about potential, unknown long-term effects with lots of things; using a microwave, living in a city that is highly polluted, other various everyday products most of us use, etc etc. 

My point is, mental health is just as important if not more important than your physical health. I’ve known too many people who are no longer with us as a direct result of their mental health, not a thing wrong with their physical health. Being bald would undoubtedly lower my quality of life significantly. I don’t think I’d become suicidal or anything, but I know I would not be anywhere near as happy. I personally have never seen a hair restoration result without some sort of DHT inhibition that I would personally be happy with in the medium to long term. More power to anyone who doesn’t mind some bald spots or noticeable thinning. It is a personal choice. 

1 hour ago, Savemyhairline said:

I personally have never seen a hair restoration result without some sort of DHT inhibition that I would personally be happy with in the medium to long term. More power to anyone who doesn’t mind some bald spots or noticeable thinning. It is a personal choice. 

Plenty of examples on here of guys not on Fin having good results. But if your genetics are such that you're destined for NW7, your donor is bad quality, and you don't have a beard it's a risk. I have unlimited beard hair that is very similar to my scalp hair so as long as it's not going in the hair line I have plenty of ammo left after my donor runs out. 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

11 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Plenty of examples on here of guys not on Fin having good results. But if your genetics are such that you're destined for NW7, your donor is bad quality, and you don't have a beard it's a risk. I have unlimited beard hair that is very similar to my scalp hair so as long as it's not going in the hair line I have plenty of ammo left after my donor runs out. 

Some guys get lucky and don’t go past NW3/NW4. Most guys don’t reach full on NW7. I think most balding men are heading for NW4-NW6 territory. All depends on the individual. Imho if you experienced balding in your 20s or earlier and not inhibiting DHT, you are likely to be chasing transplants without a period of being truly satisfied, but again every man is different. Some guys have pretty good recession early on and seem to hold it for many decades.

the crown is really what you are trying to protect with as much native hair as possible. A hairline can be repaired relatively easily compared to a crown, especially one that dips into NW6/7 territory. 

Edited by Savemyhairline
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

No significant cases of adverse effects? I can't tell if you're kidding? You're saying their have been no signifigant cases of adverse effects of people taking Finasteride? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, genuinely trying to understand what it is you're saying. There has also been tons of reporting on it.. And not from "trash tabloids"

If I were taking an endocrine disrupting drug I would make "the time" to understand what I'm taking. I'm not even trying to convince you, more for others reading this thread possibly years from now long after I've left this forum who are considering taking it. If you and others want to use it fine, that has no bearing on me. But if you're going to keep saying crazy stuff like "no significant cases of adverse effects" I'm going to keep responding with data and facts to counter your feelings. 

Lmao, calm down, your not just using data to counter my "feelings". What i say can also be backed up with figures and data from the clinical studies which supports the idea that it's got a largely safe profile for use over the duration it's been on the market. 

By "significant cases" i'm referring to the number of cases with serious side affects. Not that there hasn't been any individuals with side affects that can be considered to have a significant impact on the individual. 

So for example, we know Finasteride is prescribed in the millions and likely increasing by a significant amount with the marketing of brands like KEEPS and HIMS. So if there was a huge rise in the numbers of people experiencing side affects, we would be seeing the cases likely studied. 

Either way, this discussion really has all the information people need to decide for themselves whether they want to take it to prevent hair loss and accept the possibility of side affects. The vast majority of studies still show its effective, and largely safe. If somebody feels a 10-15% chance of side affects within a "tolerance" (personal evaluation) or serious side affects (likely less than 10%) which majority of people recover from with cessation of the medication, the that's for them to try and decide. 

That's why i hold huge respect for people like Melvin and Gatsby because they still recommend it to help people with hair loss despite their own experiences. 

On 8/7/2022 at 9:34 PM, sukh123 said:

People don’t factor in the variables, the biggest one is that a hair transplant Turning out well is far from certain even from the best as we’ve seen on this forum. So you might not even have enough grafts to repair or even fill the spots if it doesn’t work out well in the first place . Why retaining as much native hair as possible is essential to minimise the grafts you need which is finite . Also you cannot predict hair loss , you might have gradual then suddenly it just becomes aggressive . Being on meds while I don’t want to , I have to if want to retain a good set of hair . I’m even going to jump on oral minxodil because studies have show it to be effective as 1mg fin , so hoping combining the two will even help potential safeguard or even regrow more hair 

what are your thoughts on injection shere punjab

4 hours ago, NARMAK said:

Lmao, calm down, your not just using data to counter my "feelings". What i say can also be backed up with figures and data from the clinical studies which supports the idea that it's got a largely safe profile for use over the duration it's been on the market. 

No one is worked up, but when you say something as insane as "no significant cases of adverse side effects from Fin" that deserves an appropriate response. 

On 8/7/2022 at 3:34 PM, sukh123 said:

I’m even going to jump on oral minxodil because studies have show it to be effective as 1mg fin , so hoping combining the two will even help potential safeguard or even regrow more hair 

I've been wondering if someone can jump on oral min for say 6-12 months and then switch to Topical and maintain their gains. I may try the same but with switching from 5% to 2%. I don't know if anyone's tried this but it seems logical that it would work. 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

31 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

I've been wondering if someone can jump on oral min for say 6-12 months and then switch to Topical and maintain their gains. I may try the same but with switching from 5% to 2%. I don't know if anyone's tried this but it seems logical that it would work. 

Why would you deploy this strategy? To avoid prolonged systemic exposure? 

1 hour ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Correct

well maybe you should consider topical dutasteride, only requires once-a-week application initially and the systemic absorption is supposed to be very low. I'm considering using dr mwamba's one as a lot of people on this forum have had success with it and reported a minimum decrease in their serum DHT. 

5 hours ago, RTC said:

what are your thoughts on injection shere punjab

lmao he really is spreading like wildfire. His social media has me in stitches tbh, talks alot of rubbish though but his videos are entertaining lol

19 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

well maybe you should consider topical dutasteride, only requires once-a-week application initially and the systemic absorption is supposed to be very low. I'm considering using dr mwamba's one as a lot of people on this forum have had success with it and reported a minimum decrease in their serum DHT. 

Same here I am willing to give this a shot. I placed an order and hope it ships soon to give it a go.

7 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

No one is worked up, but when you say something as insane as "no significant cases of adverse side effects from Fin" that deserves an appropriate response. 

The fact that you just decided to quote just that specific part of my entire reply is telling. I even clarified for you in depth what i meant, yet it appears you've deliberately ignored the rest of the context 

• Like 1