Official Thread: Have you experienced side effects from finasteride? (Poll)

In your opinion, have you experienced side effects from finasteride?  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, LookMaxx said:

I was talking about the foundation but since you’re resorting to personal attacks against me now, I think I am done.

You are right about one thing, finasteride did ruin my life. I didn’t take it and became this ugly disgusting NW6 baldie. 

I don't think it's a personal attack. It's objectively vicious and nasty to say mean things about people suffering an adverse reaction from a drug that they took to hopefully improve themselves. 

2 hours ago, yesplease said:

Have you tried topical, Melvin? Or any intention to? 

Yeh lol he always talking about xyon being  great and using topical , but doesn’t even use it himself . I’m sure he could of started xyon now as others have been on it for a while . You can’t really justify something if you personally can’t account for it given the limited information we have on topical 

7 hours ago, SeanToman said:

It still *works* down there, but I just have no interest.
As of right now it doesn't really bother me.  But if I want change, people recommend taking it every other day rather than every day.

No interest. You need to stop the drug . Check you hormones asap , I’m all for the drug but if your getting these effects I would get hormonal markers done . Also do you workout as in resistance training and healthy diet and how old are you

Edited by sukh123

1 hour ago, LookMaxx said:

I was talking about the foundation but since you’re resorting to personal attacks against me now, I think I am done.

You are right about one thing, finasteride did ruin my life. I didn’t take it and became this ugly disgusting NW6 baldie. 

No offence bro -- but if your reaction to being bald is 'disgusting', I think you have more severe issues going on than regrets over not taking finasteride. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Z-- said:

No offence bro -- but if your reaction to being bald is 'disgusting', I think you have more severe issues going on than regrets over not taking finasteride. 

I think obviously the poster feels a certain way emotionally about their hair loss and it can take time to adjust, but hair loss like that post shows how devastating it is for me. Especially in this age and why i will still urge a lot of guys to make a proper informed decision and try medication after blood tests if they're willing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

I think obviously the poster feels a certain way emotionally about their hair loss and it can take time to adjust, but hair loss like that post shows how devastating it is for me. Especially in this age and why i will still urge a lot of guys to make a proper informed decision and try medication after blood tests if they're willing. 

I agree that balding sucks (the younger the worse…I was a Norwood 6 by 27ish, trust me I get it). Men are willing to risk ED and lower sperm count to counter hair loss - which says enough about its impact. It’s important to do proper research and decide if the small chance of risks are worth it. 

That said, if you are feeling your life ruined (over not taking finasteride), ugly and disgusting over being bald, it’s clearly mental problems which go beyond hair loss. Whatever the underlying issue is (e.g. reminder of mortality, over-valuation of appearance to one’s self-worth, or a general depression), it’s important to have perspective — hair transplants are supposed to supplement appearance, they shouldn’t dictate your entire self worth. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Medication was such a improvement on my life to be honest. I was getting insulted every day of my life over hair loss. The one in particular was on my 21st birthday my hair was "when you drop a lollypop on the carpet, and the threads stick on it" that one stung for days, albeit quite funny. After about 8 months on medication my hair improved by a drastic amount. I almost went down 2 Norwoods and felt somewhat more "acceptable"

I personally believe that hair loss can ruin peoples lives. I was being treated differently, less productive at work, feeling all around like my best years were behind me at the age of 21, we live in a very image based society today and hairloss generally speaking is more impactful than ever before.

18 minutes ago, Z-- said:

That said, if you are feeling your life ruined (over not taking finasteride), ugly and disgusting over being bald, it’s clearly mental problems which go beyond hair loss. Whatever the underlying issue is (e.g. reminder of mortality, over-valuation of appearance to one’s self-worth, or a general depression), it’s important to have perspective — hair transplants are supposed to supplement appearance, they shouldn’t dictate your entire self worth.

For me this is easier said than done. People treat others differently based on standards. I lost my hair very early on and was repeatedly judged and isolated for it. Its easy to say its a mental image issue which in most cases when your older is. But in some cases it actually leaks into your everyday life, where it becomes a actual issue. There is a very well known case of a models life being damaged because he underwent rapid hair loss. I do agree that hair transplants shouldn't dictate someone's self worth, although it most certainly helps if your result is successful.

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

• Administrators
2 hours ago, sukh123 said:

Yeh lol he always talking about xyon being  great and using topical , but doesn’t even use it himself . I’m sure he could of started xyon now as others have been on it for a while . You can’t really justify something if you personally can’t account for it given the limited information we have on topical 

I haven’t started on the topical because I’m having a child, and the transmission can occur through pillows since it’s a topical. DHT is essential in the development of a male fetus. Dr. Hasson advised against it. As soon as my baby is born, I’m gonna document my journey here and on YouTube, as well as check my serum DHT before and after. 

You’re free to believe whatever you want. People recommend surgeons all the time without going to them, the fact that I haven’t used the product yet, doesn’t mean I haven’t done my research. I’m not trying to push for anything. Do your own research.

I’ve always maintained taking drugs is a personal choice. For me, personally, I see no reason to risk the oral when topical is as effective, possibly more effective. This is my personal opinion, and everyone is free to agree or disagree.

• Thanks 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

12 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I haven’t started on the topical because I’m having a child, and the transmission can occur through pillows since it’s a topical. DHT is essential in the development of a male fetus. Dr. Hasson advised against it. As soon as my baby is born, I’m gonna document my journey here and on YouTube, as well as check my serum DHT before and after. 

You’re free to believe whatever you want. People recommend surgeons all the time without going to them, the fact that I haven’t used the product yet, doesn’t mean I haven’t done my research. I’m not trying to push for anything. Do your own research.

I’ve always maintained taking drugs is a personal choice. For me, personally, I see no reason to risk the oral when topical is as effective, possibly more effective. This is my personal opinion, and everyone is free to agree or disagree.

Fair enough I wasn’t privy to that info so that’s understandable  and congrats on the baby. Out of curiosity have you tried oral minoxidil as I had a consultation with bisanga and he is going to prescribe it to me.

Edited by sukh123
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Congrats bro

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

So the main concern is transmission to your wife /gf through the pillow, which might get to the foetus?

Edited by RTC

45 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Congrats!

I was just curious, no calling you out on my end. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

I don't think it's a personal attack. It's objectively vicious and nasty to say mean things about people suffering an adverse reaction from a drug that they took to hopefully improve themselves. 

You’re clearly now twisting my message to justify your personal attack on me. Here is the link to my post, you can see it’s unedited. 

The average forum users don’t come under “PFS foundation guys” as they aren’t part of the foundation. 

I also haven’t said any mean things about people who take finasteride and experience side effects or denied side effects so why are you attacking me?

You’re clearly lying about me.  

56 minutes ago, RTC said:

So the main concern is transmission to your wife /gf through the pillow, which might get to the foetus?

There's actually a warning on the oral drug pamphlet that a woman cannot even handle the pill because it can hurt the woman and an unburn fetus:

It should be emphasized that finasteride is not approved for use in women and is forbidden in pregnant women (is classified by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration as pregnancy risk Category X). Abnormalities of external male genitalia, namely, feminization of male fetus were reported in animal studies.

--- 

Finasteride should not be used in women, especially during pregnancy or breast-feeding. It may harm an unborn or breast-feeding baby. Consult your doctor if you have any questions about this medication.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, RTC said:

Yes, it may transmit through pillows, combs, even if she touches my hair. That is one big drawback for topical finasteride. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Honestly guys, this entire thread is moot. There is NO DOUBT that Finasteride and Dutasteride can cause permanent side effects and host of either cognitive, neuropsychiatric, physical/metabolic and the most well known, sexual side effects. This has been proven again and again and is acknowledged by Merck. I don't even understand how this is even an argument at this point. So please stop attacking each other. Many men have been seriously injured by a significant adverse reaction to the oral formulations, and even the topical formulations. That's why the HT docs like Hasson, Mwamba, Bisanga, etc., are all looking at alternatives that are safe for the guys who won't take a chance with fin/dut, or have already experienced bad sides or permanent sides from the meds. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Yes, it may transmit through pillows, combs, even if she touches my hair. That is one big drawback for topical finasteride. 

Truth be told, you have more concern of that with the topical then the pill (as long as your wife doesn't touch or handle the pill), but I applaud you for not taking the oral formulation. Not a good choice IMHO. Even when your baby is an infant, I would wait a while before you started using topical for the sheer chance your boy (or girl) would get it on them.

32 minutes ago, LookMaxx said:

You’re clearly now twisting my message to justify your personal attack on me. Here is the link to my post, you can see it’s unedited. 

The average forum users don’t come under “PFS foundation guys” as they aren’t part of the foundation. 

I also haven’t said any mean things about people who take finasteride and experience side effects or denied side effects so why are you attacking me?

You’re clearly lying about me.  

Fair enough, it wasn't exactly made clear that you were talking about the main guys organizing and running the PFS Foundation, and not just the tangential folks who use the forum. It was not a deliberate attempt on my part to twist your words. I haven't seen any evidence that they are vicious or nasty people but who knows maybe they are. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, sunsurfhair said:

Honestly guys, this entire thread is moot. There is NO DOUBT that Finasteride and Dutasteride can cause permanent side effects and host of either cognitive, neuropsychiatric, physical/metabolic and the most well known, sexual side effects. This has been proven again and again and is acknowledged by Merck. I don't even understand how this is even an argument at this point. So please stop attacking each other. Many men have been seriously injured by a significant adverse reaction to the oral formulations, and even the topical formulations. That's why the HT docs like Hasson, Mwamba, Bisanga, etc., are all looking at alternatives that are safe for the guys who won't take a chance with fin/dut, or have already experienced bad sides or permanent sides from the meds. 

I think that it definitely has the issues, but many men don’t experience these issues. No one knows if they will experience some of these issues down the line, especially the cognitive issues. But there are risks to everything in life. You get in a car, you’re risking your life, hell the vaccines they pushed feverishly last year can cause heart issues, or blood clots. 

Hair restoration both surgical and non-surgical is all about calculated risks.  There’s no guarantee with medication or surgery, but as long as you’re taking a calculated risk, I see nothing wrong it. Can finasteride cause harm? Yes. But, it may also stop hair loss for many. 

• Like 2

View my thread

Just now, Melvin- Moderator said:

I think that it definitely has the issues, but many men don’t experience these issues. No one knows if they will experience some of these issues down the line, especially the cognitive issues. But there are risks to everything in life. You get in a car, you’re risking your life, hell the vaccines they pushed feverishly last year can cause heart issues, or blood clots. 

Hair restoration both surgical and non-surgical is all about calculated risks.  There’s no guarantee with medication or surgery, but as long as you’re taking a calculated risk, I see nothing wrong it. Can finasteride cause harm? Yes. But, it may also stop hair loss for many. 

I would agree with you on everything you say, and I love all your content, but I unfortunately think the men that do get issues are a lot more than you and I know of, or they even know of, and there are very few drugs that can cause a permanent adverse reaction. Think of it like this, you take Tylenol, and it makes you feel terrible or causes high liver enzymes temporarily for someone ultrasensitive, but the risk of it giving you a permanent, irreversible condition is nil. This is the problem with Propecia. It has proven to cause a permanent condition not treatable or even understood by current medical knowledge and/or a cascade of damage that is sometimes irreversible in men. This (IMHO) is the biggest issue with this medication. 

Now with all that being said, I do agree there are men who can take this like an M&M and feel fantastic with no sides and the amazing DHT protective benefit. I just truthfully do not think the risk is worth the reward, at least for me personally, it certainly was not, at least in an oral form and I think I remember reading that you don't take oral because you had bad sides yourself, thankfully not permanent!

This all being said, I do think there is a lot of potential in a low dose topical solution with the possibility of significantly less sides (due to systemic absorption) and I also like the idea of the larger molecule size of dutasteride topically which would also lessen the chance of systemic absorption. The gel Hasson is working on is even more interesting, if they can truly guarantee the ultra low systemic absorption rates. 

TLDR - I really think hair medicine needs to find a better solution then suppressing an extremely powerful androgen. Anyone that tells you DHT is meaningless after 25 is out of their mind. 

11 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Speaking of blood clots.....

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24943080/

The Japan Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices Agency (PMDA) has reported 14 cases of thrombosis in patients taking finasteride in Japan; 4 cases of stroke (our 2 cases and 2 reported by PMDA), 6 cases of myocardial infarction, and 4 cases of other thrombotic diseases. Increases in estrone and estradiol levels in prostate cancer patients and controls receiving 5 mg of finasteride have been reported. Gynecomastia has also been reported as one of the adverse effects of finasteride at 1 mg or 5 mg daily. Taken together, we assume that the increases in estrone and estradiol levels induced by finasteride lead to thrombosis development.

Edited by sunsurfhair
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Z-- said:

No offence taken. You’re not qualified to diagnose someone so why should I be offended what you think of my mental health? In all likelihood I am actually more educated and medically qualified than you so meh.

You are also clearly deluded and oblivious to what everyone else thinks of baldness. Watch this 

The fact you are on a hair transplant forum clearly means you are well aware of this fact and just tried to take a dig at me because you got mad over my finasteride comment.

It’s fine, vent it out. I am realising people here are very emotional about finasteride

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, sunsurfhair said:

I would agree with you on everything you say, and I love all your content, but I unfortunately think the men that do get issues are a lot more than you and I know of, or they even know of, and there are very few drugs that can cause a permanent adverse reaction. Think of it like this, you take Tylenol, and it makes you feel terrible or causes high liver enzymes temporarily for someone ultrasensitive, but the risk of it giving you a permanent, irreversible condition is nil. This is the problem with Propecia. It has proven to cause a permanent condition not treatable or even understood by current medical knowledge and/or a cascade of damage that is sometimes irreversible in men. This (IMHO) is the biggest issue with this medication. 

Now with all that being said, I do agree there are men who can take this like an M&M and feel fantastic with no sides and the amazing DHT protective benefit. I just truthfully do not think the risk is worth the reward, at least for me personally, it certainly was not, at least in an oral form and I think I remember reading that you don't take oral because you had bad sides yourself, thankfully not permanent!

This all being said, I do think there is a lot of potential in a low dose topical solution with the possibility of significantly less sides (due to systemic absorption) and I also like the idea of the larger molecule size of dutasteride topically which would also lessen the chance of systemic absorption. The gel Hasson is working on is even more interesting, if they can truly guarantee the ultra low systemic absorption rates. 

TLDR - I really think hair medicine needs to find a better solution then suppressing an extremely powerful androgen. Anyone that tells you DHT is meaningless after 25 is out of their mind. 

Funny that you mention Tylenol

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/09/150-americans-die-each-year-from-tylenols-most-active-ingredient/310814/

You don’t hear about TylenolFoundation or people fearmongering about it despite it actually killing people