Official Thread: Have you experienced side effects from finasteride? (Poll)

In your opinion, have you experienced side effects from finasteride?  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Look I get it, this is a personal topic for you. And it really isn't for me. But just being honest your behavior seems pretty feminine. Maybe some DHT would be good for your mood? 

How mAny times are you going to recycle the feminine line lol to attack people who take fin. Its getting boring  ,can you not come up with any new punchlines . I think spending all this time researching dht has made you paranoid and tbh it’s getting weird now .

Edited by sukh123

13 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Again, can't help but feel how personal you guys are taking this topic. All because someone had the nerve to come here and say "Actually DHT has a lot of proven functions". Keep seething and coping. 

It’s main function after 25 for most people is making them lose their hair just like yourself which is why you got to get a transplant now and probably more. 

8 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

It’s main function after 25 for most people is making them lose their hair just like yourself which is why you got to get a transplant now and probably more. 

Incorrect. That is, if you value your kidneys, liver, bones, and eyes. If you don't then you're right DHT only makes you lose your hair after 25 lmao

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Incorrect. That is, if you value your kidneys, liver, bones, and eyes. If you don't then you're right DHT only makes you lose your hair after 25 lmao

Please present a robust long term clinical study that has directly shown that people using Finasteride have had this happen to them and to how many. 

Whilst DHT does play some role in those areas, if it was as vital as you claim, them all the biological females who don't have the same DHT levels as men would be in chronic distress over time in the areas you just cited. 

So, i ask again, bring some solid scientific study to the table that proves your point and the size of the issue in numbers or stop correlating with clutched straws. 

11 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Whilst DHT does play some role in those areas, if it was as vital as you claim, them all the biological females who don't have the same DHT levels as men would be in chronic distress over time in the areas you just cited. 

The above is telling me you have no grasp of biology.

As for your last point, I already posted a litany of studies. 

Look, it's you guys God given right to believe DHT has no other function after the age of 25 (Seems kind of arbitrary cutoff?) other than to cause hair loss. Signing off! 

Just now, GoliGoliGoli said:

The above is telling me you have no grasp of biology.

As for your last point, I already posted a litany of studies. 

Look, it's you guys God given right to believe DHT has no other function after the age of 25 (Seems kind of arbitrary cutoff?) other than to cause hair loss. Signing off! 

Yes, thank you for agreeing to sign off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am off fin for 9 days now and my libido is down ( which I like) and I have brain fog? ( feeling differently to how I was on fin ) I don’t seem to have flashbacks or clarity of thoughts but they do happen not as often.

idk if I have PFS now but it’s not that bad. One bad sides is my scalp is itchy and my skin is oily and DHT clearly attacking my hairs. Fin made my scalp dry. That’s the only real thing bothering me. 

I don’t know how long I am going to be off finasteride maybe 15 days but I don’t think the difference is that massive like I was hoping 🤷‍♀️ There’s a subtle difference in how I feel though 

Last time I was off finasteride was for 20 days due to corona last year and I was horny and more happy clarity of thoughts but back then I didn’t visit hairloss forums

maybe it’s this reading about PFS that I subconsciously am experiencing it lol

• 2 weeks later...

So almost 20 finasteride free days now, I am sort of making a journal for myself for my perusal but also perhaps for people to see what a fin supporter experiences lol

Libido is same I guess, definitely more intense enjoyable but idk for the most part same as fin. Fin libido was more intense and now it’s controllable but I like it without fin with less intensity. Hard to explain. No difference in erection power. Certainly not like how others have mentioned.

Itchy oily scalp improved now. 

I am losing weight rapidly, I always suspected fin made me fat but I don’t feel like eating as much anymore either. Definitely finasteride made me fat

Now to the bad stuff.

I am definitely a lot more depressed and don’t feel like doing anything for long time. I have to get the motivation when before I would find it pleasurable and have the will to do it. Yeah there’s a definite brain thinking difference sort of brain fog. 

My hairs are falling out lol, idk if it’s progressing to nw7 or just thinned out nw6. 

At this point I can see someone freaking out and getting the PFS tag but I am being calm and I have to be realistic. I don’t remember how I felt like and my brain was before I started fin and it’s been a long time that I am used to feeling different on fin. Depression can be psychological and just a change of environment stresses people out so this no fin is a big change and so is seeing my hairs fall. 

In any case, I am going to be off it a little longer but I have to get back on it to stop the hairloss and not be a nw7. Curious to see if my depression is cured with fin or without it with time.

Edited by LookMaxx

4 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

So almost 20 finasteride free days now, I am sort of making a journal for myself for my perusal but also perhaps for people to see what a fin supporter experiences lol

Libido is same I guess, definitely more intense enjoyable but idk for the most part same as fin. Fin libido was more intense and now it’s controllable but I like it without fin with less intensity. Hard to explain. No difference in erection power. Certainly not like how others have mentioned.

I am losing weight rapidly, I always suspected fin made me fat but I don’t feel like eating as much anymore either. Definitely finasteride made me fat

Now to the bad stuff.

I am definitely a lot more depressed and don’t feel like doing anything for long time. I have to get the motivation when before I would find it pleasurable and have the will to do it. Yeah there’s a definite brain thinking difference sort of brain fog. 

My hairs are falling out lol, idk if it’s progressing to nw7 or just thinned out nw6. 

At this point I can see someone freaking out and getting the PFS tag but I am being calm and I have to be realistic. I don’t remember how I felt like and my brain was before I started fin and it’s been a long time that I am used to feeling different on fin. Depression can be psychological and just a change of environment stresses people out so this no fin is a big change and so is seeing my hairs fall. 

In any case, I am going to be off it a little longer but I have to get back on it to stop the hairloss and not be a nw7. Curious to see if my depression is cured with fin or without it with time.

NW6 or NW7 is basically the same lol, you are bald in both cases, quit fin and go on with your life, take care of your health, of your diet and enjoy your life mate.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

If you're experiencing rapid weight loss and increased depression, you've got bigger issues than finasteride. Go see doctor(s) for these symptoms if you aren't already. Don't worry about helping others at this point, in fact pouring out your thoughts and experiences on the forum in your current condition is more likely to do harm than good.

9 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

Now to the bad stuff.

Apologies if you've already said, but why did you decide to get off temporarily? 

I've also heard it recommended that when you get of Fin not to quit cold turkey, but instead to taper off slowly. 

42 minutes ago, BaldV said:

We need a bigger sample

What we really need is to make a better use of time. This thread has been a mud pit for arguing for pages.

Lets give you a million sample size. Who in their right mind would make health decisions based on anonymous replies to an internet poll? How many of these yes and no replies so far are actually from one person using multiple accounts? Its no like its hard to do, when all you need is a free forum account with no verifications to participate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ciaus said:

What we really need is to make a better use of time. This thread has been a mud pit for arguing for pages.

Lets give you a million sample size. Who in their right mind would make health decisions based on anonymous replies to an internet poll? How many of these yes and no replies so far are actually from one person using multiple accounts? Its no like its hard to do, when all you need is a free forum account with no verifications to participate.

That's why objective scientific long term studies are so important imo and the sample sizes are usually controlled enough to give enough objective information to extrapolate from. 

I do agree that this threads been like you say, but i also think people got to see a range of opinions on both sides and ultimately they'll have to make up their own mind. 

22 minutes ago, BaldBobby said:

Thoughts on this?

Bottom line is that some of his observations cannot be lined up with scientific testing. There's too many variables and he also said he'd get back on Finasteride too. 

He's also not really mentioned he's been taking oral Minoxodil whilst he was off Finasteride too. 

I generally like him, but he's almost halfway towards Hairliciously who is an absolute tool with how Matt also does clickbait a little. 

Personally i think until we get an actually product created specifically for hair loss from top to bottom, then we're stuck with the accidental treatments we have now with Finasteride, Dutasteride and Minoxodil. Everybody has to also weigh up whether their hair means enough to them to take the risk of taking Finasteride or not. Personally i feel the risk is low enough to try, and i guess even people that are rich and famous think so too. Otherwise they would have got on something else entirely. Elon Musk for example, with all his money and Jeff Bezos too, suffering from this yet no incentive to look for cures or treatments of baldness? Tells you all you need to know imo. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Bottom line is that some of his observations cannot be lined up with scientific testing. There's too many variables and he also said he'd get back on Finasteride too. 

He's also not really mentioned he's been taking oral Minoxodil whilst he was off Finasteride too. 

I generally like him, but he's almost halfway towards Hairliciously who is an absolute tool with how Matt also does clickbait a little. 

Personally i think until we get an actually product created specifically for hair loss from top to bottom, then we're stuck with the accidental treatments we have now with Finasteride, Dutasteride and Minoxodil. Everybody has to also weigh up whether their hair means enough to them to take the risk of taking Finasteride or not. Personally i feel the risk is low enough to try, and i guess even people that are rich and famous think so too. Otherwise they would have got on something else entirely. Elon Musk for example, with all his money and Jeff Bezos too, suffering from this yet no incentive to look for cures or treatments of baldness? Tells you all you need to know imo. 

I'm sure he will go back once his hairloss resumes.

1 minute ago, BaldBobby said:

I'm sure he will go back once his hairloss resumes.

We all know the saying "Prevention is better than the cure" and imo, that is the most appropriate adage for hair loss. The earlier we can intervene and prevent or slow it down, the better. 

The problem imo is the dogmatic attitude towards hair loss in younger guys and sometimes not thinking medication is appropriate for them to start on and so on until things actually do progress to a dire enough stage of noticeable loss which could have been prevented. 

There's a couple reasons why. The rule of 50% they use to create an illusion of density is also borne from the very fact that's how much hair we have to lose before we usually start noticing. It's like basically letting half the house burn down before trying to stop the fire. It's not going to usually end well. 

However the flipside people give is that we need to get exams done etc. but some of those are expensive. In fact, i would argue that hopping on Finasteride 1mg 3x a week is probably cheaper and more guaranteed to help stave off hair loss as a late teen/early 20s person than paying for a trichologist to go around you with a machine at probably what, $150-300? For that money, you can get a years supply if not more of Finasteride. 

The minimum effective dosage is apparently 0.2mg per day, so over a weekly period 3x of 1mg Finasteride still gets you more. 

I understand side affects are real, i believe people do get them. I also know a lot of people recover from them when stopping use with a small minority who may experience much more persistent effects and that's why i always say to get a blood test to check everything else was in order before starting if you really want to know. Otherwise we may get situations where a young angry person affected starts to simply scapegoat the medication entirely for other underlying issues the medication may have exposed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

The problem imo is the dogmatic attitude towards hair loss in younger guys and sometimes not thinking medication is appropriate for them to start on and so on until things actually do progress to a dire enough stage of noticeable loss which could have been prevented. 

Yep that was me 😓

3 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

We all know the saying "Prevention is better than the cure" and imo, that is the most appropriate adage for hair loss. The earlier we can intervene and prevent or slow it down, the better. 

There's a couple reasons why. The rule of 50% they use to create an illusion of density is also borne from the very fact that's how much hair we have to lose before we usually start noticing. It's like basically letting half the house burn down before trying to stop the fire. It's not going to usually end well. 

However the flipside people give is that we need to get exams done etc. but some of those are expensive. In fact, i would argue that hopping on Finasteride 1mg 3x a week is probably cheaper and more guaranteed to help stave off hair loss as a late teen/early 20s person than paying for a trichologist to go around you with a machine at probably what, $150-300? For that money, you can get a years supply if not more of Finasteride. 

The minimum effective dosage is apparently 0.2mg per day, so over a weekly period 3x of 1mg Finasteride still gets you more. 

I understand side affects are real, i believe people do get them. I also know a lot of people recover from them when stopping use with a small minority who may experience much more persistent effects and that's why i always say to get a blood test to check everything else was in order before starting if you really want to know. Otherwise we may get situations where a young angry person affected starts to simply scapegoat the medication entirely for other underlying issues the medication may have exposed. 

The issue is Finesteride is risky. 

Sides can happen anytime & there is a small chance of PFS..

Having to take a drug for the rest of your life is a huge committment especially for a drug than can affect your mental health

If you believe Merck's side affects percentage you are very naive.

Also many men are not going to be open about suffering from ED or having mental issues. A reason sides are reported more online in anonymity. Hair Transplant doctors prescribing it without blood work is failure in terms of duty of care towrads the patient. 

More studies & blood work need to be done to see what people are at risk of side affects.

That way we could determine who is more safe to take the medication

So it is a tough call

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Jeff Bezos too, suffering from this yet no incentive to look for cures or treatments of baldness?

Ironically, bezos has funded a new company with over 4 billion, solely, for R&D for Altos Lab and a few other companies. Primarily with the head of research being a Nobel prize winner for her study in “extending” human life. A lot of this goes from his desire to be young again. He pretty much poached the number 1 researcher for “youth” and threw a ton of money at her to basically make him young again. 

some of the research that she has studied in the past goes from cell therapy, JAK inhibitors, to many other topics that go from skin to cartilage and even some form of cancer research. 

long story short no matter how much money you have everyone has the same options to explore at this given moment in terms of available medications (for hair loss).

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

7 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

The issue is Finesteride is risky. 

Sides can happen anytime & there is a small chance of PFS..

Having to take a drug for the rest of your life is a huge committment especially for a drug than can affect your mental health

If you believe Merck's side affects percentage you are very naive.

Also many men are not going to be open about suffering from ED or having mental issues. A reason sides are reported more online in anonymity. Hair Transplant doctors prescribing it without blood work is failure in terms of duty of care towrads the patient. 

More studies & blood work need to be done to see what people are at risk of side affects.

That way we could determine who is more safe to take the medication

So it is a tough call

Personally i think it's best to see this as a case of this medication having been on the market now for 20+ years. In that time, yes, the % of side affects is more than likely greater than what the pharmaceutical companies quoted. Hell, you can say this of almost any drug released on to the market, but ultimately given the time its on the market and millions of men on it yearly, if the incidents were truly that high, you'd see it plastered all over the Internet significantly more. 

That's why i do think, relatively speaking, for the majority of men i'd say 90% and i'm trying to be generous here tolerate the medication well within a range of "tolerable side affects" such as lower libido etc. but let's say 10% suffer more serious sides resulting in them either needing to lower dosage or even stop. From those 10%, i would say 80% probably recover after stopping use and maybe 5% of users if not less if again we want to stretch figures may be more permanent. I still personally believe its less than 3% permanently affected and more than likely due to underlying causes usually. 

The Internet being the internet, we find that a minority group can be super vocal and then there's a silent majority who just get on with their lives. That's why even a site like this has people that come on here, get the help they need and disappear to go on and enjoy their lives with the follicle security achieved. 

1 hour ago, NARMAK said:

Personally i think it's best to see this as a case of this medication having been on the market now for 20+ years. In that time, yes, the % of side affects is more than likely greater than what the pharmaceutical companies quoted. Hell, you can say this of almost any drug released on to the market, but ultimately given the time its on the market and millions of men on it yearly, if the incidents were truly that high, you'd see it plastered all over the Internet significantly more. 

That's why i do think, relatively speaking, for the majority of men i'd say 90% and i'm trying to be generous here tolerate the medication well within a range of "tolerable side affects" such as lower libido etc. but let's say 10% suffer more serious sides resulting in them either needing to lower dosage or even stop. From those 10%, i would say 80% probably recover after stopping use and maybe 5% of users if not less if again we want to stretch figures may be more permanent. I still personally believe its less than 3% permanently affected and more than likely due to underlying causes usually. 

The Internet being the internet, we find that a minority group can be super vocal and then there's a silent majority who just get on with their lives. That's why even a site like this has people that come on here, get the help they need and disappear to go on and enjoy their lives with the follicle security achieved. 

Mate just look at the results of this poll... But as Ciaus said, I'm sure most of the people who voted "Yes" are just folks  creating duplicate results to juice the numbers with fake data on some obscure internet forum... .Sure