Can I sue my surgeon for doing the transplant when I was too young?

I read in this week's newsletter: "Many hair transplant surgeons won't even consider transplanting young patients with a severe family history of baldness." Well, I turned 46 two days ago, and I had a transplant done when I was 20. And it has literally ruined my life. I could have been an actor and comedian. But there's no way I can be on TV and in movies due to the scars on my head and the ridiculous hair plugs. I would give anything to have not had the transplant. I'd be able to shave my head and look fine. Or I could grow my hair out and play roles as a guy with thinning hair. But my acting dreams are ruined. And I can't get a girlfriend or wife, either. So my question is... Can I sue my surgeon for having done the transplant on me when I was 20, when he knew full well that my dad went completely bald in his teens and early 20s? I'm trying to think of some small way to get some kind of justice and compensation for my completely ruined life. I'm in Toronto, Canada.

Update Nov 15, 2018: Since people are asking for more details... What happened is that when I was 19, I asked my doctor to add an ingredient to my Minoxidil that I'd read would increase effectiveness. But it was like acid on my skin and burned wounds into the front of my scalp. So I have scars from that. Then I went to the surgeon, and he drew the line where he'd put my hairline, which ran through the scar. I got the first round of the transplant, which is just 2 rows along the front. And after that, I didn't want to do anymore, because I saw how awful it looks. And now I'm stuck with these 2 rows, and scars on the back of my head. A couple of years ago, I went back to the clinic. The surgeon is now the senior guy there. I asked him if there was a way to reverse the transplant, to just pull out the plugs. He said no. He said we could do more transplants, but I don't want that. He said I could just shave down the transplant part - So I've been doing that, but it still doesn't look great. You can tell there are 2 rows of holes on my head. Oh, and when I was talking to the surgeon, he said: "Wow, normally we wouldn't do this for someone that young." So even he knew that he shouldn't have done this to me!

Oh, and I've been using minoxidil since I was 18, I guess. And finasteride since I heard about that, which is maybe when I was 26.

I will take pics to show you guys.

Edited by beanbagfrog
Adding more details to the story

• Administrators

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. However, it's not against the law to operate on a young adult. While it is unethical, it's not illegal. Especially since 26 years have past since the surgery, the surgeon may no longer practice hair restoration anymore or may have retired. Your best course of action is seeking repair by a qualified pre-screened hair restoration surgeon.

I encourage you to take a look at our list of pre-screened surgeons who have been vetted and approved by our network.

Pre-screened physicians

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I'm really sorry to hear that your'e in the situation you're in. However, to answer your question, I doubt suing the surgeon is a possibility, nor would it be the best use of your time. 

As Melvin suggested, look into getting repair work done with a reputable surgeon. The list they have compiled here is really solid and can serve as a great starting point for you. 

In the meantime (or as a longterm solution if you don't want to get a repair), you can look into hairpieces. They have really come a long way in terms of looking natural, and not only that, but many celebrities use them all the time and people have no idea. 

My loving (and perhaps stern) advice would be for you to come to terms with the situation you're in and take action to change it and/or make the most of it. You've spent enough years angry about it and letting it keep you from pursuing your own dreams and happiness, and the main person suffering because of it is you. I'd be happy to talk through some of it with you if you wanna send me a message. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

OP I'm a little confused. What happened? Did all the hair behind the transplanted ones fall out and now it looks ridiculous? Were you on finnasteride or rogaine?

Did you have one scar or multiple scars? I've heard there are ways to repair or conceal HT scars, why did you not look at that?

It would be nice to see pics for opinions on it, but really, your lawyer is who you should ask this question to, not a hair forum. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

The only way you can be at peace with this is to contact a lawyer.  They don't think like us, and they have different incites, including if you have waited too long.  Once you talk to a lawyer you will know if you can proceed or let it go and work on repairing the damage.  What do you seek as resolution.  What is most important to you monetary, or to have the damage corrected?

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

12 hours ago, beanbagfrog said:

I read in this week's newsletter: "Many hair transplant surgeons won't even consider transplanting young patients with a severe family history of baldness." Well, I turned 46 two days ago, and I had a transplant done when I was 20. And it has literally ruined my life. I could have been an actor and comedian. But there's no way I can be on TV and in movies due to the scars on my head and the ridiculous hair plugs. I would give anything to have not had the transplant. I'd be able to shave my head and look fine. Or I could grow my hair out and play roles as a guy with thinning hair. But my acting dreams are ruined. And I can't get a girlfriend or wife, either. So my question is... Can I sue my surgeon for having done the transplant on me when I was 20, when he knew full well that my dad went completely bald in his teens and early 20s? I'm trying to think of some small way to get some kind of justice and compensation for my completely ruined life. I'm in Toronto, Canada.

I have a friend who wears a hair system (some italian cesare ragazzi) and it looks pretty awesome. Hair should not stop you from achieving your dreams. Many comedians and actors are bald. 

Post your pics and people here can recommend what might work for you. You have to let go what happened 26 years ago, nothing will come out of it. Think what you want to do going forward. 

There are time limits regarding such lawsuits, not sure if 26 years will fly with a judge. Also, doing HT on a young person (adult) is not a crime. If you were underage, maybe. But you were adult when you had the HT on your own will, no one forced you.

Edited by Panamera13
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Panamera makes great points, 26 years ago the surgical techniques were primitive in comparison to today. Therefore, it’s virtually impossible to comfirm the doctor was not performing surgery to the standards of 26 years ago. Obviously, you would not be able to compare the standards of 26 years ago to today. 

Sadly, this was before the internet and forums such as this, which basically changed the landscape of hair restoration as a whole. Like panamera said there are options to move forward, while upsetting as that is, it is necessary at this point.

Hair systems, smp, repair surgery with the aid of concealers. There should be some options for you. If you’d like I would appreciate if you could share pictures and perhaps we could reach out to some surgeons who could help you.

warm regards-Melvin

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Panamera13 said:

I have a friend who wears a hair system (some italian cesare ragazzi) and it looks pretty awesome

I tried this. In all honestly it was a complete fail for me. The first time I had it on I went to a function and everyone kept asking me if I was wearing a wig =/ I would have been better served leaving the $6k in my bank account for an HT.

I guess if an HT is completely out of the question,  its an expensive version of a hair system, it would work just fine.  it does have really nice hair attached to it.

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

23 minutes ago, Shifty said:

I tried this. In all honestly it was a complete fail for me. The first time I had it on I went to a function and everyone kept asking me if I was wearing a wig =/ I would have been better served leaving the $6k in my bank account for an HT.

I guess if an HT is completely out of the question,  its an expensive version of a hair system, it would work just fine.  it does have really nice hair attached to it.

When I saw my friend for the first time (after being bald for 10 years), I asked the same - where did you get this wig from :) . Let's call it a better wig than others. So, for OP, if HT is ruled out, he can try this.

Now it's been some time and we're so used to him not being bald, we all forgot how he looked earlier. 

Edited by Panamera13

Ha Ha ha :D This thread made my day. I think you should sue him immediately. You are wasting your time by thinking about it. :P The sooner the better. The surgeon did a terrible mistake because he made you do that! Hoo no! what he didn't fore you? Then what reasons you sue him? And in which low it is forbidden to transplant hair at an early age? No hard feelings but it seem lame to me.

50 minutes ago, Panamera13 said:

When I saw my friend for the first time (after being bald for 10 years), I asked the same - where did you get this wig from :) . Let's call it a better wig than others. So, for OP, if HT is ruled out, he can try this. 

Now it's been some time and we're so used to him not being bald, we all forgot how he looked earlier.  

Its not better its different, the edges are not seamless at all (very thick base),  its made more for woman and or people who still have hair on their head like I do. you do not have to shave your head to wear it, which is actually great.  At the end of the day It is a decent option if no other option is available! the problem I had with it was, the hair didn't match mine at all. it was thicker & darker etc etc. Also, the part of the hair that swirls (usually in the back of the top of the head) was literally directly in the middle of my head. Its as if someone put their finger in the middle of the base and put hairs around it. Suffice to say having everyone point this out and laugh wasn't a great feeling, which is how I ended up here lol

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

I too am very sorry to hear about what happened. However, since you have had hair transplant surgery 26 years ago, I doubt there are any grounds to sue even if the procedure was a complete failure. And I suppose I would ask the obvious question… Why are you waiting so long to consider taking action when I’m sure you were on happy with the results a year afterwards?   Or, if you were happy a year after words,  The reality is, hair transplant surgery does nothing to stop the progression of male pattern hair loss. That’s why nonsurgical treatments like Propecia and Rogaine are recommended especially for young people to still have a lot of hair they could lose. 

Now if you were not given informed consent, that is you weren’t told about these things in writing, I suppose there could be a case but again, the fact that it was 26 years ago, I highly doubt there would be any case here.  

Frankly, any judge would probably think that the only reason while you’re trying to go out your surgeon so many years later is because you’re low on money and are looking for ways to make something quick.    Otherwise, why  I haven’t you pursued legal action 20 years ago or even 25 years ago?   No I’m not saying that’s what you’re trying to do, I’m just saying that it will likely be construed as that, assuming any lawyer would even take your case. 

But I’m not a lawyer. In my opinion however, I suggest dropping the wall and instead, visiting one of our prescreening hair restoration physicians to see what they can do to give you the head of hair I want and deserve.   Melvin posted a link above and you can also find our list of prescreened surgeons at the top of the screen on both mobile and the computer. 

Best wishes,

Bill

you're not alone, I had a transplant in the early 90's when I was in my 20's which were plugs, that was the medical standard of hair restoration at that time, I also was uninformed and like you too young, as I got older and lost more native hair, the plugs became more obvious in my hairline and I started trying to conceal them with a comb over, etc. Its a horrible way to go on living with anxiety and fear. But trust me there is a solution for you as there was for me. Hair transplantation surgery techniques today can fix nearly anything - especially old plugs. Search and do your research on this site. Consult with not 1 but a few recommended doctors. They'll see you in person, over Skype, send in photos via email, etc. Get their recommendations and a plan of action together and move forward with correcting your issue. It will take an investment of time, money of course, and definitely some patience, but trust me when I tell you that it will be all worth it in the end when you look in the mirror and are happy with the reflection of yourself! Best of luck to you ..