Biggest lie clinics tell you? The redness only lasts a few weeks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine lasted 4-5 days and I am fair skinned. In my previous surgery it lasted for weeks. Not sure why my redness didnt last long, but after a week, you could look at my skin and not tell it was red at all.

Each case is unique, and the recipient should be healed according to your perspective clinic's post-op guidelines. Some individuals can use Toppik, a light amount of cosmetic makeup concealer or a small application of foundation, however, dead skin cells and sebum (oil) should be managed by proper scalp maintenance.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 1 month later...
I think mine lasted around 4 months. Have to agree this is grossly underestimated - it should be stated generally and on the side of caution. The time of starting growth of 3 to 4 months after a transplant for hair to grow is correct.

Probably largely genetic but I wonder how much minoxidil exaggerates the redness. Week 8 here and still quite pink, but I am going on the assumption it's all the blood vessels needing to reform in areas that were barren for some years. Or that is at least what I tell myself. I also notice it gets pinker post minox application. I also like hot showers so I probably am not doing anything to help the situation. :cool:

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

I am 6 weeks in and the redness is only just beginning to fade, I have been gently moisturising and mixing a little bit of sudacrem just to take a little heat off. I've already got quite a bit of growth coming through.

My doctor and Clemens webber have advised me to use a bit fucicort cream which is a mild anti inflammatory. I have been advised not to use monoxidil for another week or two as it can accentuates the redness.

Oh yeah and no hot water on recipient, like someone else had posted you should always finish with a cold rinse as it stimulates the hair, not great on a winter morning!!!!

I have yet to see anyone have their redness go away after three weeks...

Actually, for many patients, like myself, it's not a lie at all. My redness was gone within one week.

It's clear you are naive about this industry if you think that is the biggest "lie" the industry tells you. :rolleyes:

Clinics say all sorts of things to make you have treatment with them.

They hope you don't know anything about hair loss and don't get a second opinion. They want you too book there and then.

One clinic sales lady said to me we will give you a life time guarantee for the transplanted hair!

When i ask these sales people to put what they said down in an agreement like contract i never hear from them or they change what they said and start to use words like, upto and we will try, we will aim for, if we can, between, if we can we will do the mega plus session for free, etc

My redness has lasted over 5 years!!! Just completed my second V-Beam treatment 1 month ago, and FINALLY after lasering the area a second time it looks rather normal - though a very close inspection will reveal some lingering pinkness - but nothing like before. I don't think it would have ever gone away had it not been for these 2 laser treatments. FFS.

An interesting fact which a lot of people might not consider is that the redness might still be there even after more than 4 months. I assume a lot of people just think that the redness is gone because of the new hair covering the area. I thought that too. Then when I soak the whole area in Rogaine I can still see the redness and the colored contrast from the recipient area versus the untouched area.

Kind of scary for some people if they suddenly decides to go totally bald in the future.

The countless alcohol additives in minoxidil products can inflame the scalp and also promote, induce redness.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

The countless alcohol additives in minoxidil products can inflame the scalp and also promote, induce redness.

I'm sure Minoxidil promotes redness in a certain degree, no doubt. But the clinics also recommends that you use minoxidil, so based on that they should really consider not to underestimate the redness to patients.

I didn't read every post...but win2000 was right on. It all depends on your natural skin color. Brown guys like me realistically are a little red for 3 weeks, maybe not even that. Irish redheads look sunburnt for 3 months...maybe more when they are exerting themselves. Chrisdav is in between but does extreme exertion workouts so it doesn't surprise me that he said he was read for a while.

Now guys...this applies to other procedures too. Way back in 96..my first year out of my fellowship...I vividly recall a lady that I'd chemical peeled...calling saying every time she had sex or went to an aerobics class...people thought her head was going to explode it got so red...

This does pass, but takes a while, particularly if you are reddish complected...

Like most facts...profit centers want you to book...and may not tell you everything. THUS...do your research before your visit so you can ask specific questions, and do some more research afterwards.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I'm gonna go out tomorrow and by some aloe vera gel and see if that helps

Just stop having sex or going to aerobics classes Dutchie!!:eek::rolleyes::cool:

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

Glad we're keeping Lefty's spirit alive, who was booted for being sassy. lol

I feel like this topic is a microcosm for this entire process--there's no fixed set of rules, so much variability. I had no redness even on day 1. Meanwhile I'm not the fastest grower. That's grower I said, not a show'er. Sorry, couldn't resist.

How's the tenderness near the incision--that fading week over week?

The redness from my first surgery never 100% went away. After transplant #2, any redness in areas which weren't transplanted originally are normal after 4 weeks.

I think the density transplanted may have an affect on the redness as well, since my second transplant is lower density.

I was never lied to and my redness varied over all of the transplants that I've had. Actually, the discussion never came up at any point.

The last transplant I had was the reddest and most tender of them all but I mostly attribute this to the fact that I had a limited donor area left and the sections that had to be taken were more toward the top and rear side portions of my head in the back.

Luckily for me, most of this was already covered but existing hair in the area but I'd say it took a good four months for the redness to go away and it's only been in the last six or seven weeks or so that the tenderness has gone away.

I will say that of the six transplants that I've had, the length of redness and tenderness varied with each one.

Amazing how everyone responds so differently!....:rolleyes:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Its kinda understandable why redness doesnt go away very fast. You just drilled over 3,000 holes into your skull, did you really think your body was just gonna recover from that in a few weeks??

I hope no one has holes drilled in their skull for a HT! but all the incisions in your scalp will cause redness due to the presence of newly formed blood vessels and inflammation from the placement of the new grafts.

This is my biggest problem as Im' sure it is with many, I need a large fue session and I have hardly any existing hair to that will grow back to cover the redness. I can't wear a hat, I can probably get out of work without being seen for 10 days to 2 weeks, but then I need to meet with my employees and customers on a daily basis. I can't hide for a month or two without seeing people. If this wasn't a problem I'd have the procedure done already. I've read some people have been prescribed steroids and creams that get rid of the redness but haven't confirmed anything. Like what if you get a few cortisone shots, and steroid pills, and other heavier prescriptions to get rid of redness? Is there prescription, or steroid, or anything that would get rid of the redness right away if it was still apparent after all the scabs were gone after 10 days/two weeks? I just can't do a wait and see, it's great if I'm lucky and I have no redness, but if I'm not lucky it could ruin my life. I'm not pale, but I'm not olive skinned or darker. Other than wearing makeup on my head, with all the advances in the hair restoration industry there has to be some testing or trials to help conceal the redness quicker than many months? Any Drs. want to chime in? Or anyone who had a HT and was prescribed something that really worked, other than aloe vera, and what's already been mentioned? Thanks for the help! I'm looking for the "Magic Pill" I guess.