Sugar Goes to Ottawa - My 2822 FUE with Dr. Rahal

SugarHighs

SugarHighs,

Everything is looking very, very good for six months. Understand that during a year of growing to full maturation your transplanted hair will be constantly changing in texture. With both of my last two procedures I had great growth by 6 months but had some thinning between months 7-9. However, months 10-12 I started to recover and surpass the density I had at 6 months. One of my favorite lines to paraphrase is from Jotronic: Hair is always in a state of flux. Be patient and ride it out. Also, I'm not sure if you just started finasteride or not, but if you did you may be experiencing a shed from that as well.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can ALWAYS "tweak" it and add to it

you have an excellently designed hairline, with great hair characteristics

re: minoxidil

i am wondering why the doctor instructed you to do so since the hairline was not shown to benefit from its application in studies

maybe because these ARE REALLY NOT hairline hairs anymore since they have been transplanted from the back

in addition, using minoxidil has shown to cause shedding after months of use. this will make everything look worse. but these hairs will return. this can explain why your hair was more dense in previous months.

it looks fantastic for 6 months, even though it looked more dense a couple of months ago

maybe no more pics and examining it since like you've said, "I am going to give it the full year of course - what other choice do I have?"

Edited by rev3

Any pictures without Rogaine? I find my hair looks thinning with Rogaine applied. Also I don't think you have posted post-op shots to show what areas were worked on(but forgive me if you have).

Any pictures without Rogaine? I find my hair looks thinning with Rogaine applied. Also I don't think you have posted post-op shots to show what areas were worked on(but forgive me if you have).

In order of "thickness" it looks the thinnest with no products, a little thicker with kirkland minoxidil, and even better with Rog Foam. I've just tried using American Crew forming cream for the first time, and I would say we might have a winner. I am going to let it dry and see what happens.

I don't know if I'm seeing it correctly but to me this is an awesome result!

- A huge difference already from preop!

HT#1 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2012) - 4700 grafts

HT#2 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2014) - 1800 grafts

HT#3 - Dr. Konior (Jan 2018) - 1200 grafts

In order of "thickness" it looks the thinnest with no products, a little thicker with kirkland minoxidil, and even better with Rog Foam. I've just tried using American Crew forming cream for the first time, and I would say we might have a winner. I am going to let it dry and see what happens.

Was the middle area of the hairline(inbetween the temples) worked on? What areas are you concerned about exactly.

Hi El Nino,

Thanks for this! My pre op pics are located here: Hair Restoration Site for Sugar

The thinning that I am most concerned about is at the very front center area - from about the middle of my left eyebrow to the middle of my right eyebrow, and going back about 1cm. the pre-op photos show that this is entirely transplanted hair.

I don't have the best camera up here at my apartment, however when I get back to my storage in about 2-3 weeks, I will be able to show this area in much more detail.

The hair here was pretty dense last month, with or without foam, and now it's lost that density, and I can see a ton of bare scalp. Foam helps a little, but not too much.

No worries SH. I have done another comparison with pre op, post op and 4.5 months.

I think it shows the area which you are concerned about is a mixture of transplants and native hair. But you still have lots of growth to come as you're only 6 months post op.

Hope this helps.

comparison2.jpg.cf477e2cf35869b0e6e3598c11d4ff48.jpg

Was the middle area of the hairline(inbetween the temples) worked on? What areas are you concerned about exactly.

Yes, we lowered my hairline by about 1cm. So the area in the direct front center was worked on. In fact, I remember Dr. Rahal making a TON of incisions here. This is notable in my post op photos. This very front area, I feel, most makes your hair look dense. So we did a lot of work there, but as far as graft survival, growth, and maturity, I can't really speak to that. The next 6 months will hopefully proove to be fruitful.

No worries SH. I have done another comparison with pre op, post op and 4.5 months.

I think it shows the area which you are concerned about is a mixture of transplants and native hair. But you still have lots of growth to come as you're only 6 months post op.

Hope this helps.

Hi El Nino,

Thank you again for this. I agree the general area is both native hair and new hair. I'm most attunned to the area in the very front center though, which is entirely transplanted hair. I'm hoping for a good deal more maturity here.

Thanks!

I don't know if I'm seeing it correctly but to me this is an awesome result!

- A huge difference already from preop!

I agree, it looks like a stonking result. And it's only 6 months.

I can't see what the problem is.

I am not so quick to dismiss SugarHigh’s concern out of hand. Yes, the result so far is mostly excellent. However, he is understandably concerned that the center front, two centimeter square area of his hairline, which he says consists entirely of transplanted follicles, not only has lost the hairs that had grow in but is showing no signs of new growth breaking through. I think Sugar is sharing a reasonable concern without being alarmist. Ultra dense packing can, occasionally, backfire. Whether the next six months proves his concern to have been unfounded, or whether he will need a small touchup session to this area, remains to be seen. I appreciate him sharing both the highs and the lows of his hair restoration journey.

Best luck, mate!

I am not so quick to dismiss SugarHigh’s concern out of hand. Yes, the result so far is mostly excellent. However, he is understandably concerned that the center front, two centimeter square area of his hairline, which he says consists entirely of transplanted follicles, not only has lost the hairs that had grow in but is showing no signs of new growth breaking through. I think Sugar is sharing a reasonable concern without being alarmist. Ultra dense packing can, occasionally, backfire. Whether the next six months proves his concern to have been unfounded, or whether he will need a small touchup session to this area, remains to be seen. I appreciate him sharing both the highs and the lows of his hair restoration journey.

Best luck, mate!

Pup,

Thanks for recognizing that a) I'm not crazy / imagining things, and b) that iPhone pictures don't tell the whole story.

Sugar

Pup,

Thanks for recognizing that a) I'm not crazy / imagining things, and b) that iPhone pictures don't tell the whole story.

Sugar

Nobody is accusing you of being crazy. You post on here to get peoples opinions and from the pictures you've posted my opinion is that it's a fantastic result. The difference is night and day. You've gone from balding to a solid, full head of hair.

I'm not for a second questioning you when you say there's a gap, that you're imagining it or anything of the sort. Of course not. And pics don't always tell the full story but that's usually when the takers/ posters are trying to hide something or distort how things appear in reality.

In your case it's the contrary. You've done a really good job of documenting your updates with good, clear pics and I just feel that personally I would be ecstatic with that result given where you've started.

Anyhow peace and good growing :cool:

Nobody is accusing you of being crazy. You post on here to get peoples opinions and from the pictures you've posted my opinion is that it's a fantastic result. The difference is night and day. You've gone from balding to a solid, full head of hair.

I'm not for a second questioning you when you say there's a gap, that you're imagining it or anything of the sort. Of course not. And pics don't always tell the full story but that's usually when the takers/ posters are trying to hide something or distort how things appear in reality.

In your case it's the contrary. You've done a really good job of documenting your updates with good, clear pics and I just feel that personally I would be ecstatic with that result given where you've started.

Anyhow peace and good growing :cool:

Thanks, Slickers. I really do appreciate *any* and all the feedback I have received. I wasn't trying to be a pain in the neck.

I only meant to illustrate that just because I have some density and growth, it doesn't necessarily mean it looks very good at this point.

Having more density at the sides and temples, and less in the center, has created a bit of an odd look.

I'm doing my best to make the center look thicker, by either using foam or hair product. However I'm finding it looks a lot better pushed forward and covering my hairline at this point, in the way that I did prior the procedure.

I'm hoping things will improve to where I don't have to do that.

SH, I do see your reason for concern. I personally think the left and right sides look really good, especially for only 6 months. However the middle part is lacking. Was it denser in the middle at month 4?

I can see your concern as will. I think that there is a combination of native loss and possibly not the greatest density. If an ht does not have a good wall of native behind it, it is gonna look a little thin. I am kind of picky about my hair and I see what you are talking about and wouldnt be very happy about it. Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Was it denser in the middle at month 4?

Yes, I do feel that it was more dense at month 4 - 4.5 or so. I think the photos support that view, although I do understand that the camera isn't the best.

Edited by SugarHighs

Sugar

I just got a chance to look at your pics...I think everything is looking on track as well..Hang in here man..I had a huge boom from 3-4 months and mine has slowed down too...I can still feel a lot of stubble so I know more is coming though!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Sugar

I just got a chance to look at your pics...I think everything is looking on track as well..Hang in here man..I had a huge boom from 3-4 months and mine has slowed down too...I can still feel a lot of stubble so I know more is coming though!!

Thanks man! I am hoping for the best for you as well!

Hi Sugar,

While I have not had a chance to look at all of your pre-op and progress pictures, I'd say 6 months post op is way too soon to worry about gaps and growth overall. I think FUE grafts in particular generally grow a little slower than strip grafts. It wasn't until we started using ACell fine particles that promoted faster growth for our FUE sessions. Hang in there. You have more growth and thickening to occur between 9 months and then again at 12-13 months post op. Best wishes.

Hi Sugar,

While I have not had a chance to look at all of your pre-op and progress pictures, I'd say 6 months post op is way too soon to worry about gaps and growth overall. I think FUE grafts in particular generally grow a little slower than strip grafts. It wasn't until we started using ACell fine particles that promoted faster growth for our FUE sessions. Hang in there. You have more growth and thickening to occur between 9 months and then again at 12-13 months post op. Best wishes.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I wish I had better news, however my recipient area has continued to get thinner. Each time I shower and shampoo, I have grafts from the recipient area shedding.

Dr Rahal called me and discussed that this may have to do with some of the transplanted hairs going dormant. But at this point, it seems that there has been no noticeable maturity since month 4.5 and only a progressive thinning.

Up until last month I was able to disguise the recipient area with the native hair from the frontal third, however it's now so thin, that my scalp in the recipient area is very visible in any light.

Dr Rahal and his folks mentioned that no matter what happens, they will take care of me. That definitely makes me feel better.

My only real concern there is that we don't really know why this is happening, and I'm a little concerned that if I went through another procedure, that the same poor growth may happen again. I don't know if I have the emotional stamina for that.

But in the meanwhile, I'm trying to stay patient and positive.

In about 2 weeks, I will have high-powered camera, and be able to take much better photos to illustrate what I am saying - look for these around the 15th-18th or so of this month.

IMG_0664.jpg.847b4831b1549e17329c0ed05e4488c0.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg.2b0b31e15a4129613adec11a0a9c09c9.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg.3852878ac470b683eb5952d5cf4c25cd.jpg