Sugar Goes to Ottawa - My 2822 FUE with Dr. Rahal

SugarHighs

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone noticed but me, but this seems to be the largest FUE procedure I've seen on the forum as quoted 2800 grafts. Even more amazing is that this is one day? Am I missing something? There are some large FUE sessions that I've seen from Dr. Ron Shapiro that are maybe 1800-2000 grafts. These sessions seem to have been done over 2-3 days. How is Dr. Rahal accomplishing this? Just curious. This equates to a graft being extracted and implanted every 15 seconds continuously for the 12 hours.

Hi Guys, I wanted to start the new thread on this topic. But couldn't find the link to new thread. Hence I am posting it to this thread.

I am a newbie and still doing research on FU transplantation and this forum is been very helpful with useful tips from experienced people.

I dont like scars and hence I thought I would go with FUE. But after sending my photos to few selected physicians, I was told that I am not a candidate for FUE because of less donor density. That means if I have to go with HT, it should be FU ( strip) transplant.

Yesterday when I was doing some research on patients who had already undergone HT, I noticed few people complaining about constant itching the donor scar area for a long time since the HT. That made me worry whether there could be any other long term side effects like head ache etc...etc...associated with HT which constantly reminds us that we had a HT.

My question is " Has anybody who had FU strip transplant suffering from itching scalp(donor and recepient area), head aches etc ....after the wounds are fully healed ? " May be people who have had transplant more than a year ago would be the best candidates to answer this question..

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Has anyone noticed but me, but this seems to be the largest FUE procedure I've seen on the forum as quoted 2800 grafts. Even more amazing is that this is one day? Am I missing something? There are some large FUE sessions that I've seen from Dr. Ron Shapiro that are maybe 1800-2000 grafts. These sessions seem to have been done over 2-3 days. How is Dr. Rahal accomplishing this? Just curious. This equates to a graft being extracted and implanted every 15 seconds continuously for the 12 hours.

Hi,

First - there are some larger FUE surgeries on this forum. Most recently, Ben had 2968 FUE with Dr Feriduni (over 2 days). I've also seen a 3,029 FUE by Dr Feriduni done in one day. I'm sure there are larger FUE from other surgeons too.

Second - I am not a doctor and Matt will have to confirm this, but I believe that in most clinics it is not just the surgeon who extracts the grafts - typically this is handled in part or in full by multiple technicians. I think they can extract somewhere around 200 grafts / hour each and if they have two people on the go this would take 7 hours to extract 2,800. I believe the surgeon creates the incisions in the recipient area and then the majority of the grafts are inserted into the incisions by the technicians.

Hi Guys, I wanted to start the new thread on this topic. But couldn't find the link to new thread. Hence I am posting it to this thread.

I am a newbie and still doing research on FU transplantation and this forum is been very helpful with useful tips from experienced people.

I dont like scars and hence I thought I would go with FUE. But after sending my photos to few selected physicians, I was told that I am not a candidate for FUE because of less donor density. That means if I have to go with HT, it should be FU ( strip) transplant.

Yesterday when I was doing some research on patients who had already undergone HT, I noticed few people complaining about constant itching the donor scar area for a long time since the HT. That made me worry whether there could be any other long term side effects like head ache etc...etc...associated with HT which constantly reminds us that we had a HT.

My question is " Has anybody who had FU strip transplant suffering from itching scalp(donor and recepient area), head aches etc ....after the wounds are fully healed ? " May be people who have had transplant more than a year ago would be the best candidates to answer this question..

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Pranewbie,

I had an FUT surgery 7 years ago, and for me personally, even recently, I can occasionally feel that I have had something done back there. In the first couple of years you can sometimes feel it as a dull ache or a pulling (it doesn't hurt at all really after it's healed) - and this gets less and less with time (but in my case, never completely gone). It does subside enough that I never think about it though.

It may be the case that I had a particularly bad scar and I'm sure others on here may have better experiences - but that's my take on the situation - I would say you should make sure you go to a reputable doc who can probably close your scar far better than my original surgeon did. For me, however, the feeling was enough that my next procedure will be FUE. That being said, the result from the strip surgery was very good and I don't regret it at all. It's certainly a very small price to pay for getting a good head of hair.

Also, I didn't get any itching after it had healed.

Best of luck with your procedure if you decide to go ahead with it!

Second - I am not a doctor and Matt will have to confirm this, but I believe that in most clinics it is not just the surgeon who extracts the grafts - typically this is handled in part or in full by multiple technicians. I think they can extract somewhere around 200 grafts / hour each and if they have two people on the go this would take 7 hours to extract 2,800. I believe the surgeon creates the incisions in the recipient area and then the majority of the grafts are inserted into the incisions by the technicians.

It's during extractions where the grafts face the highest chance of being damaged. The surgeon should perform this part of the procedure. You're right that the surgeon creates the incisions and the technicians insert the grafts. (In Dr Rahal's case at least).

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

• 3 weeks later...
Sugar, how are you doin bud? Hope everything is good.

I'm doing well, thanks Sean. I have had some superficial growth now, and I'm approaching 10 weeks. I will post more photos at 12 weeks. I have some very minor cosmetically significant growth in front now, that is visible when my hair is up/back, but the hair is still way too short to wear back.

I'm doing well, thanks Sean. I have had some superficial growth now, and I'm approaching 10 weeks. I will post more photos at 12 weeks. I have some very minor cosmetically significant growth in front now, that is visible when my hair is up/back, but the hair is still way too short to wear back.

Your not too far from your 3 month mark. I think it should start to kick in soon. From what I have seen in others and from what I went through and going through, the first 3 months do suck, the next 3 months are good, the next 3 better, the last 3 best. That's how I see it.

How is your scalp feeling overall? It will feel normal soon if it hasn't already. Don't worry too much about that. Any Redness/Pinkness in recipient zone? If so, it's normal don't stress over it. I had it for a long time (more than most people). The waiting period sucks big time, don't let it bug you. I am trying very hard to avoid a mirror. lol. It causes too many why, if's and buts during the growth stage. I can't wait to see your 12 week mark. Looking forward to your update. I think what we are doing is very valuable. The documentation really helps us monitor our own results and it helps others get an idea of what to expect. We can see clearly how the FUE transplantation process is and how much of a change it will have on us in the end. So, kudos to you for doing it too.

Your not too far from your 3 month mark. I think it should start to kick in soon. From what I have seen in others and from what I went through and going through, the first 3 months do suck, the next 3 months are good, the next 3 better, the last 3 best. That's how I see it.

How is your scalp feeling overall? It will feel normal soon if it hasn't already. Don't worry too much about that. Any Redness/Pinkness in recipient zone? If so, it's normal don't stress over it. I had it for a long time (more than most people). The waiting period sucks big time, don't let it bug you. I am trying very hard to avoid a mirror. lol. It causes too many why, if's and buts during the growth stage. I can't wait to see your 12 week mark. Looking forward to your update. I think what we are doing is very valuable. The documentation really helps us monitor our own results and it helps others get an idea of what to expect. We can see clearly how the FUE transplantation process is and how much of a change it will have on us in the end. So, kudos to you for doing it too.

Hey Sean,

Thanks for the sentiments, that's really what I needed to hear. I was feeling a little bad last night, and I feel better now. At ten weeks now I am at just enough time to see some small amount of growth, but not comfortable to go out without a hat. And getting tired of wearing the hat. I want to go out and flirt with girls, like I always have done, but I feel like a little bit of a dork in my hat. It's important to realize these problems are in your head, and not reality, so I try to remember that.

Overall my scalp feels pretty close to back to normal. I have some reduced sensitivity in the recipient area and mid-scalp, but it's much much better than it was before. Regarding pigment, I think I have finally reached the point that the redness has gone away. There is still a minor difference in pigment between my recipient area and the rest of my head, but I would bet most people wouldn't even notice it (if I ever left the house without a hat - haha!)

I thank you again for the encouraging words, and I hope I provide you with similar encouragement. Staying around and posting here is a really big part of that.

Thanks,

Sugar

• 1 month later...

Here are my 3 months and one week photos. Appreciate any comments. I will post some before/afters if I am able.

Hair is dry here, and looks a lot thinner when wet. The left side has grown in thicker than the right, so far. These were taken at night, in the city under a giant skylight, with flash.

Two things I notice when comparing to photos from October is that minoxidil seems to have swollen the area around my eyes and eyelids, and also I am pale as a vampire without sun. ;)

IMG_0212_1.jpg.b9d06d7f5698ce7327d377dc82d61dac.jpg

IMG_0213_1.jpg.9d9b1f1999ca5a7ffab5ace8fe953fdb.jpg

IMG_0214_1.jpg.7088fd36a43f67a20e1bb71599363a57.jpg

IMG_0215_1.jpg.10060f04fed04fdac71d3bb38b0a573f.jpg

IMG_0216_1.jpg.d49731be074e1572f20c8386ec923525.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg.eddb9496602b42fefec11b1a7b302994.jpg

IMG_0218_1.jpg.e361231a8ebb46e48661e1b9c727c7d4.jpg

IMG_0219_1.jpg.ff238477a3852e4e01faaf5c714af700.jpg

IMG_0220_1.jpg.e540c690f47c22b163a04461ed7f2773.jpg

IMG_0221_1.jpg.b4a091f50b45f93d01550506537f6541.jpg

Edited by SugarHighs

Sugarhighs, you are doing great. Dr. Rahal's patients seem to grow mega-fast. I used the term "magic juice on the grafts" on a patient result of theirs and Matt told me that it was a secret and to keep quiet LOL!

Your HT is doing great so far!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Here are my 3 months and one week photos. Appreciate any comments. I will post some before/afters if I am able.

Hair is dry here, and looks a lot thinner when wet. The left side how grown in thicker than the right, so far. These were taken at night, in the city under a giant skylight, with flash.

Two things I notice when comparing to photos from October is that minoxidil seems to have swollen the area around my eyes and eyelids, and also I am pale as a vampire without sun. ;)

SugarHighs, you look great man. I think the growth is starting to kick. Rogaine does have minor sides on some people more then others. I do feel for some, it may increase puffiness too. It also makes the recipient area more pink because it does increase bloodflow to that region. It shows more on recipient areas of those with lighter skin tones. I had it really bad, was so red/pink for a while. I felt it was more then what others faced.

The uneven growth pattern I think is normal as I have been told as well as noticed on the forums. I have the same thing. One part looks better then the other, but both in general could use more thickening and evening. I guess that is expected for 7 1/2 month of growth so far. It's still early in the game. The typical standard growth deadline given by majority of surgeons during initial consultation is the 12 month/1 year mark so we will see at how it progresses from now to then the end of the 12 month mark. So, try not to stress over it too much right now. The waiting periods can drive you up and down but hang in there as your not alone in this. All of us that have undergone hair restoration are going through the same thing.

You really got great temples, even placement, and everything just sits perfectly on your head. Remember that picture of the athlete you were showing and his hair, well from the looks of it, your on your way to obtaining such a result. I think it will look outstanding in the months ahead. :)

Hey SugarHighs. You looks like most patients will look at 3 months. You're on the brink of big changes and I look forward to your 4 month update.

It's no surprise that growth might be uneven. As we all know, the grafts don't all grow at once, so the grafts can't choose to grow in in such a way that they provide even coverage. Everything should come together after they all pop.

Sugarhighs, you are doing great. Dr. Rahal's patients seem to grow mega-fast. I used the term "magic juice on the grafts" on a patient result of theirs and Matt told me that it was a secret and to keep quiet LOL!

Just to be absolutely clear and for the record: there is no magic juice graft dip. (I can see us getting emails asking about it!) :D

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks, RC. I am not telling the secret of the magic juice. :P

SugarHighs, you look great man. I think the growth is starting to kick. Rogaine does have minor sides on some people more then others. I do feel for some, it may increase puffiness too. It also makes the recipient area more pink because it does increase bloodflow to that region. It shows more on recipient areas of those with lighter skin tones. I had it really bad, was so red/pink for a while. I felt it was more then what others faced.

The uneven growth pattern I think is normal as I have been told as well as noticed on the forums. I have the same thing. One part looks better then the other, but both in general could use more thickening and evening. I guess that is expected for 7 1/2 month of growth so far. It's still early in the game. The typical standard growth deadline given by majority of surgeons during initial consultation is the 12 month/1 year mark so we will see at how it progresses from now to then the end of the 12 month mark. So, try not to stress over it too much right now. The waiting periods can drive you up and down but hang in there as your not alone in this. All of us that have undergone hair restoration are going through the same thing.

You really got great temples, even placement, and everything just sits perfectly on your head. Remember that picture of the athlete you were showing and his hair, well from the looks of it, your on your way to obtaining such a result. I think it will look outstanding in the months ahead. :)

Thanks, Sean. I am excited about the months upcoming.

I was really impressed by your 7 month video. It looks like a big improvement from 6 months, so I'm sure you're thrilled!

Hey SugarHighs. You looks like most patients will look at 3 months. You're on the brink of big changes and I look forward to your 4 month update.

It's no surprise that growth might be uneven. As we all know, the grafts don't all grow at once, so the grafts can't choose to grow in in such a way that they provide even coverage. Everything should come together after they all pop.

Just to be absolutely clear and for the record: there is no magic juice graft dip. (I can see us getting emails asking about it!) :D

Thanks Matt. I am really looking forward to it too, for sure! I appreciate your feedback.

Edited by SugarHighs

• 1 month later...