First PRP treatment in New York-Dr. Alan Feller

I agree completely with Spex and several other members on this thread.

I believe Dr. Feller is providing a quality service by providing data and photos of patients who have undergone PRP "treatment". I believe Dr. Feller to be ethical and interested only in the truth. However, since Dr. Feller is charging his patients for PRP, he also has a financial interest in it. This does not make him any less than the ethical doctor he is, however, it does mean now that he offers it and is presenting the data, that in order to be consistent with our terms of service, he will need to disclose this in his forum signature. Thus, when he returns from Amsterdam, I will ask him again to do this.

But there is a dilemma on this thread. A new poster "ebutterg" claims to have undergone PRP treatment and after only 2 weeks has seem significant thickening. Though I do like to give all members the benefit of the doubt, it benefits nobody to come here, make a bold claim, and then not back it up with evidence. If PRP has indeed helped "ebutterg", then perhaps he'll be willing to share his detailed experience including the date of his procedure, the doctor who performed it, and before and after photos.

Frankly, I think members have every right to be skeptical of new posters who make bold claims and don't back it up with evidence. The sad thing is, those who make unsubstantiated claims will only tarnish the reputation of PRP as a potential treatment in the future. If it ever does become a legitimate treatment for hair loss, these kinds of unsubstantiated claims today will cause people to dismiss it given all the hype.

Thus, for the benefit of this community, those who have legitimately had experiences with PRP, please share your detailed experience and photos or stop making bold claims.

All the Best,

Bill

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been on this forum for 3 years plus now. I've been told on here told to hold off as long as I can (am 26 now). My temples recessed a little more but can still cover it up with my longer hair.

This PRP treatment is something I'm closely looking at. If the surgeons and patients can show proof that it's the next big thing I would try it for sure, but instead of bashing it because we haven't seen proof yet, why don't we have a few cases we can closely monitor??? I know Dr. Feller and Spex is excellent at putting together excellent photo albums and patient documentations! I'm waiting like everyone else to see the proof first and then sign me up if it looks good!

Originally posted by Fookinhair:

Dr Feller,

You may have missed my earlier post.

Have you had PRP performed on yourself? If so, have you noticed any difference at this point in time, if not can you explain why not?

Thank you.

Perhaps Spex could answer this?

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

I agree completely with Spex and several other members on this thread.

I believe Dr. Feller is providing a quality service by providing data and photos of patients who have undergone PRP "treatment". I believe Dr. Feller to be ethical and interested only in the truth. However, since Dr. Feller is charging his patients for PRP, he also has a financial interest in it. This does not make him any less than the ethical doctor he is, however, it does mean now that he offers it and is presenting the data, that in order to be consistent with our terms of service, he will need to disclose this in his forum signature. Thus, when he returns from Amsterdam, I will ask him again to do this.

But there is a dilemma on this thread. A new poster "ebutterg" claims to have undergone PRP treatment and after only 2 weeks has seem significant thickening. Though I do like to give all members the benefit of the doubt, it benefits nobody to come here, make a bold claim, and then not back it up with evidence. If PRP has indeed helped "ebutterg", then perhaps he'll be willing to share his detailed experience including the date of his procedure, the doctor who performed it, and before and after photos.

Frankly, I think members have every right to be skeptical of new posters who make bold claims and don't back it up with evidence. The sad thing is, those who make unsubstantiated claims will only tarnish the reputation of PRP as a potential treatment in the future. If it ever does become a legitimate treatment for hair loss, these kinds of unsubstantiated claims today will cause people to dismiss it given all the hype.

Thus, for the benefit of this community, those who have legitimately had experiences with PRP, please share your detailed experience and photos or stop making bold claims.

All the Best,

Bill

Great post.

I am excited by this new treatment and I have been almost 'pestering' Spex with questions, but at the same time am being realistic.

With regards to 'ebutterg', I sincerely hope he is telling the truth, I have even commented on one of his posts and sent him a PM. As of yet though I have heard nothing.

Time will tell, the treament will hopefully be available in the UK in the next month and then we can all go from there.

BTB

Even if this does work, It sounds like PRP is just for people at the beginning stages of MPB. Which is not to many people whom frequent this forum. I was holding out hope that it would be for me, but was told it is not. IMO I didnt think I was to far advanced but appearantly I am.

Originally posted by brentipold: I am getting a prp treatment on august 4th with dr. Feller, I will definatly post before and after for you guys.
Originally posted by hairthere:

thanks brent! people like you are an asset to this community.

I concur.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I think it's appropriate to utilize skeptical thinking in the face of claims that cosmetically significant results were achieved in a two-week period.

I don't think the skeptics should be shouted down by the positive-thinkers...after all, the list of ineffective hair-loss treatments is very long, and the list of successes, vanishingly short.

I, for one, greet with raised eyebrow the hypothesis that there is a mechanism by which PRP can cause sufficient thickening of a hair shaft within two weeks so as to create a visible effect. Hair grows, what, a quarter of an inch in that time? The claim challenges credulity--I think more work needs to be done. For instance, I'd like to see direct evidence of hair-shaft thickening High magnification photos of the hair root, two-weeks apart, would reveal this sort of dramatic growth, no?

Of course, I'm not a doctor. Dr. Feller seems enthused by the procedure, and I have been given no reason to question his motives. So I am warily interested in these developments. I would even consider the treatment myself, if I can be convinced that the risk/reward ratio tilts far enough in the right direction.

i just finished checking Dr. Robert Jones's PRP blog and i can definitely see that his hair is much thicker in his one month update. click on the picture titled PRP update July 2nd, 2009 and see for yourself. PRP Dr. R.J.

i see definite improvement, though few more of his comparison shots would be nice to see.

so all the evidence shows that there is something to this "PRP's short time hair boost" thing, unless it's all "pictorial illusion" and we all know how pics sometimes don't tell the whole story. but nonetheless i see/hear improvements coming from many sources.

P.S.

i know that Dr. Feller would not call Dr. Jones to be typical candidate for this treatment as he would be considered "too advanced balding dude" but this pic could prove that theory wrong.

please see it for yourself: PRP Dr. R.J.

When I was researching PRP, I caught two different video segments where Dr. Greco was featured in news reports. In both segments, I thought the guys he performed PRP on were fairly advanced, though my memory could be wrong. I do recall that in both cases, there was a nice improvement.

I'm still holding out hope that there might be something in this science for those of us who are further along.

I was reading the thread in which Dr. Greco answers questions. There was something about how PRP works like the other FDA approved drugs and does not work as well on the hairline. Do you agree to that Dr. Feller, from what you have seen so far?

Hi Guys, I found some pics of PRP results online from Dr Choi (don't know who he is, but read his name a few times). Some of the photos show improvement in patients with more advanced hair loss. I found this interesting because there are very few pictures of post PRP results on the web:

http://www.mcmedgroup.com/mcprphair.html

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

Originally posted by splitting hairs:

Hi Guys, I found some pics of PRP results online from Dr Choi (don't know who he is, but read his name a few times). Some of the photos show improvement in patients with more advanced hair loss. I found this interesting because there are very few pictures of post PRP results on the web:

http://www.mcmedgroup.com/mcprphair.html

Those are some pretty impressive results. Wish we could actually hear from some of those patients.