First PRP treatment in New York-Dr. Alan Feller

I'd love to hear how an existing hair get's larger in diameter in just 2-4 weeks from the inside out.

Someone educate me further thanks.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things I noticed which is different then Dr Fellers PRP.

Choi uses a dermaroller which makes more sense then just poking with a syringe.

I would think the absorption rate would be much higher with the roller

Hes also charges less

Looks like if there is something to this it would be a $2-3000 a year maintenance fee .

Not bad if it really helps.

Time will tell.

That is by no means evidence...esp, when it comes to hair loss treatments.

Originally posted by Mr. GQ:

i just finished checking Dr. Robert Jones's PRP blog and i can definitely see that his hair is much thicker in his one month update. click on the picture titled PRP update July 2nd, 2009 and see for yourself. PRP Dr. R.J.

i see definite improvement, though few more of his comparison shots would be nice to see.

so all the evidence shows that there is something to this "PRP's short time hair boost" thing, unless it's all "pictorial illusion" and we all know how pics sometimes don't tell the whole story. but nonetheless i see/hear improvements coming from many sources.

P.S.

i know that Dr. Feller would not call Dr. Jones to be typical candidate for this treatment as he would be considered "too advanced balding dude" but this pic could prove that theory wrong.

please see it for yourself: PRP Dr. R.J.

As some of you have read, I had a PRP treatment with Joe Greco, Phd on June 30, 2009. No pictures were taken as Joe and I were too busy talking and half way through the procedure he mentioned to his assistant that he forget to take pictures. Anyway, Joe said my treatment should last about a year and that I could return then for a follow-up visit/treatment.

I'd like to add that Joe had his assistant draw 120cc's of blood versus the norm of 60cc's. I asked the assistant about this prior to meeting Joe and she said he routinely modifies that part of the PRP protocol. I never spoke to Joe about that issue so I can't elaborate on his decision to vary the amount of blood used during PRP treatments.

Without pictures I can only offer my self-assessment of PRP to those who are interested. I should also mention that I quit using Proscar after 10 years just two weeks prior to my PRP treatment and also discontinued the use of Rogaine Foam after 1 year of use. Things should get interesting, good or bad, in the next 6-9 months.

brentipold,

I have a significant amount of hair on my head from successes with both Proscar and HT's. So, at this point, it is very difficult for me to discern any significant improvement. As time passes, I will have more of an opportunity to evaluate PRP as a hair loss treatment. I will periodically update those who are interested in my self-assessment.

why are u quitting proscar? u realize u will lose all the hair that u should have lost in the last ten yrs w/in a yr right? when u say it lost its effectiveness, what exactly do you mean since effectivenes can mean differeng things to different people. some recommend a drug holiday or adding a selenium and biotin supplement if this starts happening....just curious as there was an informal follow up study to the propecia participants when the drug was fda approved 9-10 yrs later and most still seemed to have the same hair count as when they had started.

hdude46,

I've had side effects for probably 5 years and I'm tired of not being myself. I will monitor my progression and/or regression in the next several months and if necessary, I'll evaluate my situation and decide then if I want to return to using Proscar and Rogaine Foam. I'm hopeful that despite stopping, that PRP will override my lack of a dht blocker and allow me to keep what I have. I can always go back if necessary.

I had fantastic results on the crown with finisteride for the first few years of trying it. It gradually lost its effectiveness though. I was hesitant to discontinue its use fearing I would lose more without the fin. However, there was no discernable difference after quitting. The finisteride had done a great job while it lasted but it's time was over for me.

I'm in a similar boat where I'd love to discontinue fin; and my doing so is largely hinged on the efficacy of PRP.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I've benn o Finasteride for 5 months now and in my case it has no effect apart from slight side-effects. As far as i can tell i'm loosing my hair at the same rate as before Propecia. I hope PRP will help those in my situation. I for one would use it just to stop my hair loss even withouth any cosmetical benefits.

I agree, it would be great if we could stop Finasteride but still maintain our hair with PRP. But let's not get carried away, I know the pics look promising from Dr feller and Dr Choi: http://www.mcmedgroup.com/mcprphair.html , But PRP is still experimental and shouldn't replace any FDA approved treatment for hairloss, otherwise we risk losing ground. However, as TomR is experiencing side effects with finasteride, it makes sense to give PRP a shot. Keep us updated.

It's interesting though that in the clinical trials, some men that continued with finasteride despite side effects, discovered that they went away. I think that in SOME men, such side effects are caused because they are anxious about the possibilty of such side effects and as a result experience reduced sex drive etc.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

Hi Spex,

Regarding the UK, we know that a UK doctor will soon be trained to perform this procedure but are we awaiting any more results before things 'kick off' over here?

Cheers...

Just to inform anyone who has issues with propecia I did also.

I was taking 1mg a day and had nasty side effects.

After taking blood tests I decided to reduce the dosage to .50mg Mon Wed Fri even skipping days often and my newest test show basically the same dht levels with no side effects whatsoever unless you call growth a side effect. icon_smile.gif

Propecia may have a short half life but DHT regenerates very slowly once destroyed so missing the extra days had no negative effect.

You wrote above "...so all the evidence shows that there is something to this "PRP's short time hair boost" thing, unless it's all "pictorial illusion" and we all know how pics sometimes don't tell the whole story. but nonetheless i see/hear improvements coming from many sources."

How is this evidence? a few pictures on the internet - also if you read the literature on PRP for hairloss, it is all NON Peer reviewed literature (conference papers, etc).

I am hopeful - but unlike many others, my standard of evidence is going to be much higher before I pay one cent.

Originally posted by Mr. GQ:
That is by no means evidence...esp, when it comes to hair loss treatments.

not sure what you mean by this.

Originally posted by PLEASE GROW PLEASE:

Hairhope Im glad your not falling for the hype.

Lasers had way more so called success stories and pics at the beginning .

Like I said before let these other guys worldwide do the dirty work before dropping a dime

Please Grow Please, you're right about all the hype that went with lasers. As we know, they don't work. But I came across something about lasers that bothers me: http://www.charlesmedicalgroup.../Procedure/laser.php , look who's offering it. But the pics are a bit dodgy, before with a flash, after without.

I think you're right to be sceptical about PRP and we have to wait for more results.

Propecia since July 2008

I fear there are two polar opposite categories that people are falling into here and I wish people would fall somewhere more in the middle. On one extreme, some appear to be so excited that they think PRP is going to end their hair loss problems. On the flip side, we have those who believe it's worthless. Of course, the latter is only exacerbated when members claim to have had success with it but don't provide details and pictures.

Like HairHope, I will keep an open mind however, before I'd consider promoting it as a potential hair loss treatment, I'll need to see a lot more evidence.

I hope that people realize that it's imperative that realistic information be presented so as to not catapult people into either extreme polar opposite and dangerous category.

Bill

I for one do not want to come across as though I think its worthless.

I really hope and think its possible it might have some use.

I just dont want guys to hold up a liquor store ,carjack some fool just to make it in time for the last PRP injection.

If there something to this it will quite obvious real soon, especially if the Dr says a month is all you need for a change.

All Im just trying to say if you live a stone throw from a clinic and have a pocket full of money then go for it BUT if none of this applies to you just chill for a couple more months

Splitting hairs , I saw that also .

Believe it or not theres quite a few docs on here that still offer it icon_rolleyes.gif

My geography of America is REALLY bad, but other docs I know of that offer PRP are: Feller, Choi, Glenn Charles, Epstein, Greco, Jones and probably a few more.

Propecia since July 2008

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

I fear there are two polar opposite categories that people are falling into here and I wish people would fall somewhere more in the middle. On one extreme, some appear to be so excited that they think PRP is going to end their hair loss problems. On the flip side, we have those who believe it's worthless. Of course, the latter is only exacerbated when members claim to have had success with it but don't provide details and pictures.

Like HairHope, I will keep an open mind however, before I'd consider promoting it as a potential hair loss treatment, I'll need to see a lot more evidence.

I hope that people realize that it's imperative that realistic information be presented so as to not catapult people into either extreme polar opposite and dangerous category.

Bill

Very good post. I have already stated that whilst I am excited for the treatment, at the same time we all have to be realistic.

It will be nice if in a year's time we have at the very least maintained and perhaps had some thickening/regrowth.

According to Spex the treatment should be available in the UK very soon, so all we can do is have the treament, continue to use the big 3 and wait and see.

BTB