First PRP treatment in New York-Dr. Alan Feller

Hi. This is my first post.

Been following the prp treatment with enthusiasm and I want to applaud the doctors who are willing to try this experimental procedure.

Searching on the internet I found that there are a few patents on this concept filed by David R Knighton.

Don't know if I'm allowed to post links to these patents so I won't, but you can find them on google.

Though I don't know whether the procedure described in these patents is similar to the procedure performed today, what troubles me is that these patents are from the early nineties (one was filed on Jan 10 1989)

If it was known 20 years ago that prp may promote hair growth and it could actually produce significant results, shouldn't it have become common practice by today?

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PRP has been around for over 20 years. The only thing new is its current application to the scalp. PRP was mainly used to aid in surgeries as well as speed up healing time and is currently used in athletic injuries as well (Hines Ward had it done to his knee last year). I believe David Knighton focused on its wund healing properties not its application to the scalp as a form of hair loss treatment. The funny thing is, I know what prp does for the body but cannot figure out how or why it works on hair. Still trying to figure out whether I should schedule a session.

nyny12, no one really knows how PRP works for hairloss.

It is thought that since PRP contains growth factors that are responsible for angiogenesis (the formation of blood vessels), it is believed that when PRP is injected, and the scalp injured, growth factors are released to amplify the normal healing process, where blood vessels form to the injured site. This increases blood flow to the hair follicle. Infact some studies have shown that growth factors cause an increase in the size of the hair folicle and the thickness of the shaft.

Dr Feller wrote some stuff about what he believes to be the mechanism on page 3 of this thread. He explains how he believes hairloss is caused by DHT and devascularisation (blood vessels being destroyed). But this is only a theory.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

For what it's worth, I have always believed that the trauma caused to the recipient area during hair transplants kick started growth of otherwise miniaturizing follicles. My hair was at its best about 6-8 months post-op and then would level out. I'm certain, without actaul proof, that the trauma caused by these tiny incisions created a temporary surge in the blood supply to the recipient area while it went through the healing process. I had a PRP procedure and my hair has thickened and I'm 5 weeks post treatment. For all the skeptics, these are simply my own personal observations I'm passing along to anyone interested enough to read through it and take it for what it's worth. Good luck to all of you but I will be heading to see Joe Greco, Phd this spring for a follow-up treatment.

So Tom, are you saying that you definitely had good results from PRP? Did your miniaturized hairs thicken or just your healthy hairs? Also did you see a decrease in shedding/daily hair loss after the treatment?

tom r., and any other folks getting prp done, documenting your process with pictures would be immensely helpful. and not to sound like an ingrate, but posting simply a written "review" is useless to most of us, and here's why:

my concern with prp is not over whether or not it actually works to thicken and save native hairs, but whether or not it's providing real cosmetically significant results. also, what you think is significant may not be in my eyes.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Originally posted by spex:

PRP in the UK will be available by the mid/ end of September. Once we have the kits and equipment we can start offering PRP. We have premises in London and the UK Dr now ready.

I'm up first and will let you know how it goes.

Anyone in the UK interested in PRP treatment feel free to email me : spexhair@aol.com

Will the treatment still be offered in birmingham?

Tom R, I am like you and not comfortable with putting up pictures, however if you do decide to that would be great but I am guessing you dont have any before shots since it was 5 weeks ago. Anyways if you can describe the changes in your hair since the treatment that would great for me. Have you shed less hair daily, has all your miniaturized hair thickened or just your healthy hair, any increase in shedding, etc.. please fill us in.

Originally posted by spex:

Will the treatment still be offered in birmingham?

Not initially but in the future hopefully.

damn that aint too good, as birmingham is just down the road from me

ah well, where abouts in london will this be, wanna figure out if i wud be better going by train or car?

Does anyone else have a concern calling PRP a "treatment" at this early stage when referring to hair loss? Despite some exciting preliminary data, PRP is not proven to treat hair loss. Thus, until it is, I think calling it a "procedure" may be more appropriate.

I think this may minimize PRP from being wrongfully hyped at this early stage and then chastised later for being a scam after patient expectations become way too high.

Just some of my thoughts on the issue.

Bill

Absolutely... there are some bold claims that are giving some of us hope, but the harsh reality is, this isn't a magic cure, for early hair loss sufferers... as far as we can see so far. The science behind it does make sense, but you're right, without some real results (many pictures, videos), it can't be called a treatment. I really hope a majority of the people who are getting this procedure done will document their progress, if any progress at all.

My two septims. Here's hoping!

I dont really see the issue with calling it a treatment. I think it is getting hype because it sounds like the best option for people(like me) who do not want to get on propecia and do not have enough hair loss or are too young for a HT. Whether it is a successful treatment still remains to be seen. I am guessing that this treatment will work for ppl who either do not have MPB and their loss is due to stress ( which is essentially poor scalp circulation), scalp conditions, or other things and probably for people who are noticing the very first signs of MPB.

The smartest thing for me to do is probably wait a year and see where prp goes but that itself is a risk cuz I may lose more hair in a year and prp might have been able to save those hairs.

Yes can we get these pictures up asap. Also as much as I like reading other members concerns or thoughts on prp it would be nice to have some more doctors comment with their thoughts and also what their patients have been reporting back, even if there is no pictures.

spex...is dr feller using the prp and protein matrix complex that greco is using. the reason i ask this is b/c greco says he hasnt disclosed this yet as it is a proprietary formula that only he is using. from greco:

I use PRP or PRP with the protein matrix (Orogen Plus). The technique is the same, but the OP formula is proprietary and requires a second processing step to create the extra cellular protein matrix. At this point we have not disclosed that formula.

thanks

Spex, so does that mean his patients have experienced less shedding and hair loss as a result of prp?

Also can he post the pics of that patient you mentioned last week?

Lastly, spex do you mind posting a pic of your hair since you are not a candidate, therefore we can see what type of people are not candidates?