First PRP treatment in New York-Dr. Alan Feller

dr feller

in the past 2 years i have been on blood pressure meds & feel they may have caused some minuturization. i seen my cardio doc today & we are lowering the dose to 25 from 50mg. will PRP be helpful with this? anxious to see your pics & videos. will do some research on dr greco in the meantime.

rtc

ps

will a dropped popup cause a hair follicle to pop & drop??? icon_mad.gif

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any pictures yet? Debating on whether or not I want to possibly take the plunge and see what PRP can do for me. I really would like to see pics of the procedure itself.

I have looked also looked around for Dr. Greco's results since he has been doing this procedure for quite some time, and I can not find any results anywhere :/

Hunter,

The guaranteed way to get ever get in touch with my office is by telephone. PRP procedures are booked on the telephone and do not require a seperate visit for a Pre-PRP evaluation.

Thanks for the contact.

wtb,

I know of no perminent "marking" after PRP,and Greco has not reported any either. Since it is just injections it doesn't leave any kind of visible marking.

Reverse,

If you are noticing miniturization, for any reason, PRP is certainly worth a try. Are you referring to your transplants or native hair?

Photos of my first PRP patient in the next post.

-Dr. F

This patient was one of my first PRP patients.

When compared to my average hair transplant patient,his hairloss issues were pretty mild.

However, he did have patches of thinning hair throughout the top of his head that bothered him (see before photo). More importantly, he was concerned about future loss.

We performed a PRP treatment on him and he returned 2 weeks later. Needless to say I was more than surprised when I saw the thin patches had thickened quite a bit and the overall top of his head looked thicker and fuller.

Since I am a skeptic by nature I poured over his head with a comb and magnifying glass and kept referring to his before photo to mark the differences. There was NO question in my mind that something positive had happened. I even wet his hair to see if I could reproduce the thin patches he had before, but I could not.

My best guess is that the PRP somehow caused an immediate thickening of the hair so that over the course of two weeks enough new thickened hairshaft grew out to make the overall apperance look fuller. Not only did the PRP work on the miniturized hairs in the patches, but it seems to have also thickened the rest of the hairs on the top of his head, something I hadn't even thought about.

This is only ONE case so PLEASE don't over hype this result. Let's wait until a few more PRP patients report in. But so far, so good.

BEFORE/AFTER 2 WEEKS

1.jpg

2.jpg

AFTER

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Wow. Dr. Feller, it looks like you are on to something here.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Dr. Feller,

Since hair thickening takes time, do you think the PRP may have acted as a volumizer for the hair, making the follicles appear fatter than they really are? Any real hair thickening usually takes several months since the root has to grow a thicker and fatter hair follicile.

I can't really fathom any other reason that PRP could cause any real difference in such a short period of time.

Thanks for posting.

Bill

Bill,

I think that's impossible, as the PRP is injected to the scalp, and any residue would had been washed off after 2 weeks.

It's possible it sped up growth, and all those new hairs really made a difference in hiding the visible scalp, though they may be short still.

Probably a silly question but is this guy definitely not taking any other hair loss medication?....If not, then hair has definitely thickend up some and is very encouraging....for young guys with early loss at the least.

Thanks for posting these pics.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Aaron,

Thanks, but I'm just a follower here. Greco is the leader in this field, I'm just copying.

H,

I am trying to take pictures of everyone, but because I haven't really worked PRP into my daily routine I have forgotten to take before pictures on several patients already. Very frustrating. I'm just glad I remembed to do so for this patient.

Bill,

That's a good thought, but as Still pointed out the PRP was washed away weeks before.

Here is some speculation:

The follicles contain cells that produce liquid hair that cross link to produce a hairshaft. In the presence of a bollus of PRP, a condition these cells have never encountered before, the cells went into overdrive and simply produced more liquid hair than they normally would for that period of time. This is possible considering PRP contains multiple growth factors that MAY act directly on the follicles themselves. This is only speculation, but it is certainly plausable.

Petchski,

I don't remember if he was on meds or not. He probably was, but it shouldn't matter because if he had been on the meds for several months, what are the chances he would demonstrate a cosmetic difference on the very day he chose to follow up?

Now let's say I started him on Propecia myself. Two weeks wouldn't be near long enough for propecia to make a cosmetic difference. The earliest I've ever seen was 4 months. So not even close.

dr Feller,

My understading is that DHT levels will determine the rate/extent of MPB and that PRP treatment does not affect DHT levels. Is this correct and if so can you expain why you think PRP may still be a viable treatment to counteract hairloss over the long term?

Originally posted by Fookinhair:

dr Feller,

My understading is that DHT levels will determine the rate/extent of MPB and that PRP treatment does not affect DHT levels. Is this correct and if so can you expain why you think PRP may still be a viable treatment to counteract hairloss over the long term?

that is correct, as far as i am aware...you know how minox works on some people to grow hair without messing with dht, well i assume that prp works similar in that sense, but yet completely different. it offers the hair follicles growth hormones and other "stuff" that can help hair grow, or maybe even fight back, in turn slowing down the mpb process or even reversing it. of course im not educated in it, but hope this is of help, there are plenty of posts talking about what you're asking, do a search and it will help.

This looks great. I started on minox and proscar 2 years ago, I had great initial results, recently noticed a lot of shedding and my temples are thinning out.

I would love access to this treatment, but things come slowly to Melbourne, Australia.

I was just wondering, why don't they combine this treatment with that protein treatment people have been doing do their heads, with like scratching it and rubbing/injecting it in.

Seems like it could restore hair and grow a few

new ones!

I'm not too sure about all this stuff, just was thinking out loud.

Dr. Feller,

What was the age of the patient that you posted photographs of?

And just a comment, if the study said that hairs increased by 10% in diameter tha is huge, because if you think each hair increased by 10% that would add a great deal of density.

Nice job dr. feller, keep the pics coming if you can. I take it you think this prp thing is actually working?

Also, do you think if a patient kept going in for prp treatments every 6,8, 12 months, or whbatever you suggest, they can expect to keep that hair? Or will it gradually lose its effectiveness over time like some experience with propecia?

Thanks!

one more...does it actually reverse miniturization or halt it, or does it simply make the hair shafter thicker and not do anything with regards to miniturization? hope that makes sense...

BTW Im not denying that this treatment is working for this individual just hard to tell by these pic's thats all. It was much more apperant in the first set of pic's you posted how well this treatment works!

hdude,

Thanks.

Yes, I think it is working. There is no question that the top is thicker than it was just over a month ago. Another positive note is that he hasn't experienced any loss since the treatment.

I would like to see what happens when we repeatedly treat patients with even greater frequency of a few months. I'm trying to convince the company to donate the treatment kits so that I can take on a few volunteers to have PRP performed weekly for say 6 weeks or bi-weekly for 12 weeks.

It seems to be reversing miniturization in some areas because some of the patchy areas clearly filled in. What I didn't realize was that it would also thicken up the "normal" hairs as well. I think it is this, more than anything, that has lent to the cosmetically signfiicant improvements.

Dakota:

In my experience messy wet hair most often looks thinner than combed wet hair. MUCH thinner.

His hair was too thick to bother with dry before photos. Instead, I wet his hair down to amplify his thinning areas so that it could be critiqued. In the after photo I wet the hair again and tossed the hair into roughly the same pattern as it was in the before photo.

To the naked eye there is absolutely no question that the top hair got fuller-espeically the bridge area and the patchy area in the upper right crown between 2 and 3 O'clock.

The best part is that the patient is happy and that even his mother noticed without him saying anything.

These results are not going to be as stunning as those from hair transplants, that's a standard we have all gotten used to around here, but there is no question in my mind that these patients have improved to a cosmetically signficant degree. The only other treatment that I've seen approach this level of success is Propecia. (This patient is not on any hairloss medication by the way and is in excellent health).

In the following photos I circled the main areas of improvement (bridge is in yellow). A person experienced in evaluating hair photos (ie an HT doctor) can clearly see the obvious differences. I invite any HT doctor to comment:

2.jpg

Am I correct to assume that PRP will be a hot topic at the next ISHRS event? I hear some pessimism from other docs on this potential treatment. I.E. Dr. Rassman... http://www.baldingblog.com/200...-to-treat-hair-loss/

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thank you Dr. Feller. I would also be extremely interested in seeing if more frequent prp sessions leads to an even greater cosmetic result. As it is though, even if at the very minimum prp allows you to keep what you have, it would have to be considered a huge success. I appreciate you taking the time to post pics (hopefully with more on the way so all of us here can have a sufficient sample size to judge, which I'm sure you want to) and to answer questions.

Not sure if you missed this in my original thread but do you see any reason why this would lose its effectiveness over time like some experience with propecia and rogaine or do you think that so long as one continues prp treatment he can expect to keep what he has or close to it?

Thanks again and I look forward to your response.

Dr. Feller or others,

Is a license required to draw blood, concentrate the platelets, and then inject it back into the patient? Phlebotomists can draw blood and nurses are allowed to give injections and since PRP is not a drug and not fda regulated, it seems to me that you could see PRP shops pop up in every city (similar to some of these lazer hair removal shops).

Basically, could anybody do this? The equipment can be purchased without a license.

Thanks!

Abe

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website

these pictures look pretty great Dr Feller.

how much do you foresee charging for PRP treatment?

my reg is:

propecia 1mg EVERYDAY

minox 5% twice daily (f the foam)

nizoral 1%

say la V old buddies .... i'm tryin to keep you