Best Way to Make Your HT Glisten w/ Extra Density&Naturalness?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that what works for some may be terrible for others. It certainly depends on your specific hair. Straight or wavy? Coarse or fine? Dry or oily? There are to many factors that will change how a product works on YOUR specific hair type

Great to hear, Aaron, really. icon_cool.gif The cool thing is that these products are *not* concealers in any way; their formulation just happens to lend a very strong byproduct that merges maximizing style (irrespective of one having MPB), with fixing and strengthening the issues that many HT patients experience.

HMO, ya, I've been really bad about taking and posting pics for a while. This coming week I'll try to remember to do a big update, complete with before/afters. It's something I'd like to do, as I feel the comparison will be quite profound.

Just as a random note: often, a very effective way to use the products, especially a finisher like Dirt, is to work it through your hair *as if* you are going to slick everything back and keep it all slicked straight back, having emulsified it in your hands prior, then working it through your hair. After this, with your fingers/hands, reverse the process, going through the various motions to push the hair the other way in your desired direction for styling purposes, really tweaking things to your precise wants along the way.

It can also be done where you just do a partial slick back process to your hairline and front, if that's your primary area of concern. As always, this should be done to dry hair, unless you are going for a very messy/tousled look.

Also, be wary of salons aggressively wanting to give you a "razor cut", and even layering. This wrecks havoc on the precise facets of the illusion of density your doc worked so hard to create. I got talked into one earlier, and while it's extremely cool in and of itself, it's going to take all my wiles to make this style jive and be copacetic with the invariable issues related to a HT. icon_smile.gif

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Hey Thana, thank you soo much for your post! I have been a long time lurker and actually have a procedure scheduled with Rahal in the near future. I took your advice and tried the products! My hair looks much better; however, do you know if any of these products are harmfull? Especially the Samy product? How often do you use the Aveda shampoo and conditioner? Thanks! icon_smile.gif

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by thanatopsis_awry:

Great to hear, Aaron, really. icon_cool.gif The cool thing is that these products are *not* concealers in any way; their formulation just happens to lend a very strong byproduct that merges maximizing style (irrespective of one having MPB), with fixing and strengthening the issues that many HT patients experience.

HMO, ya, I've been really bad about taking and posting pics for a while. This coming week I'll try to remember to do a big update, complete with before/afters. It's something I'd like to do, as I feel the comparison will be quite profound.

Just as a random note: often, a very effective way to use the products, especially a finisher like Dirt, is to work it through your hair *as if* you are going to slick everything back and keep it all slicked straight back, having emulsified it in your hands prior, then working it through your hair. After this, with your fingers/hands, reverse the process, going through the various motions to push the hair the other way in your desired direction for styling purposes, really tweaking things to your precise wants along the way.

It can also be done where you just do a partial slick back process to your hairline and front, if that's your primary area of concern. As always, this should be done to dry hair, unless you are going for a very messy/tousled look.

Also, be wary of salons aggressively wanting to give you a "razor cut", and even layering. This wrecks havoc on the precise facets of the illusion of density your doc worked so hard to create. I got talked into one earlier, and while it's extremely cool in and of itself, it's going to take all my wiles to make this style jive and be copacetic with the invariable issues related to a HT. icon_smile.gif

Question. Do you wash your hair everyday? Because if you don't, what is your routine on days you don't wash it?

Cheers

That's a good question. I actually often wash my hair twice a day. I use the Aveda Shampoo's and Conditioner, or T-gel, or Nizoral in the morning before I put the products in. At night, I quickly wash it out with a little Pert Plus or another cheap shampoo. I probably wouldn't do the nightly wash if I didn't have concealer (dermMatch) on my scalp.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Do any of you know where you can order Dirt from in the UK?? I can't seem to find it anywhere icon_confused.gif!!!

Thanks,

Blond.

-----------------------------

PhD (Experimental and Clinical medicine)

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

• 5 months later...

Thana

A new post revisited this one. Thanks for your time and effort in creating this post. Did you post photos before and after your styling regime? They may have been lost in the change-over of the site. I thought you had a blog before but I can't find it.

We know that we transplant hair at about half of the original density in key areas and less than that in others but try to make transplanted hair look fuller than it really is. Styling is very important and it is nice to have tips for patients to get the most out of their transplanted hair. I tell my patients they are free to style their hair how they like but transplanted hair looks fuller when it is long enough to layer like shingles on a roof. The "dry look" usually looks fuller than a "wet look" and centre-parting lets more overhead light reflect off the top to make the part look wider. Brushing hair forward, backward or to the side usually makes the hair look fuller and taking advantage of thicker natural hair in your chosen hairstyle is always a good idea.

The cuticle of the hair shaft looks like scales on a fish and some products open the cuticle to make the hair shafts wider to give volume while others close the cuticle to make the hair smoother and shinier. Different products work better for different people. Transplanted hair can be dry, especially in the first few months, so I often recommend styling creams to coat the hair and make it smoother, heavier, and shinier and easier to style. I myself use "No more frizz" shampoo and conditioner and a simple anti-frizz styling cream applied to wet hair. I then comb my hair and, because I am usually in a hurry, I just let it air dry then comb it or brush it again after it is dry. These days I just use off -the-shelf Clairol shampoo and conditioner and Dove styling cream. I have experimented with different more and less expensive brands and they all seem to work fine so I am not endorsing any particular brands. Each person has their own hair characteristics and chemistry so it is always good to experiment a bit to find what works best for you. Shampoos, Conditioners, and ordinary styling products do not positively or negatively affect hair growth.

I have found that sculpting gels, pommade, and waxes tend to clump the hair together and make it look thinner. Especially when people flip up the front or spike it up, the layering effect is lost. Some patients use these products anyway and say they don't mind a slightly thinner look that is more modern and still looks natural.

The first steps of your routine all seem to make good sense and I am sure that the blow-drying helps separate the hairs. I am curious about the "DIRT" because I would have epected it to clump your hair to make it look thinner whereas you feel that it makes your hair look thicker. I would be very interested to see your photos.

Thanks again for your post.

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

thanatopsis is right on when he says be wary of the well-intentioned and fashionable hair stylist who has great plans but just doesn't understand the incredibly delicate way in which the 'illusion of volume' works. I have come out of a salon looking ten years older more than once and yet I was utterly convinced of the merits of the stylists idea - just that I didn't appreciate the magic of the HT's bread and butter - the illusion of hair

Nice call in reviving this post Dr. Simmons. My philosophy has been that if I am going to invest a large amount of money, physical and emotional energy into my HT's, then I owe it to myself to make the most of what I have. I do spend about 10-15 minutes every morning applying the dermmatch, paste (or dirt), blowdrying, occasional sprinkling of toppik and it does take time. But it does make a huge difference if you are willing to spend this kind of time on your transplanted hair to make the most of it. It's the difference between having a good and bad head of (transplanted) hair.

Dr. Simmons, you are right that the DIRT clumps up the hair. I don't use it anymore, I actually use an AVEDA paste now. But when I did apply the DIRT (even now with the paste), I combed it through for a few minutes and then blow-dried it. This unclumps(?) the hair to a certain degree while maintaining the hold. The hair then looks thicker when separated and dried. Remember, less is more.

Again, this is probably one of the most helpful posts from one of the most helpful posters on this site. Thana is missed here for sure.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray guys ! It's the best. Blow dry or natural dry. Does not weigh the hair down or clump it. Gives you that great textured salty feel you get when you get out of the ocean and let you hair dry in the sun and breeze.

I've tried every thing & now I just use my B&B Surf Spray. You can also use it on top of a thickening cream. Just dry the hair with the thickening cream till its almost dry at the spray and finish.

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, i just bought the Aveda pure abundance shampoo and clay conditioner. I must say i am really impressed with the shampoo. I have tried so many brands of shampoo. They either make my hair too soft, or hard to manage. The Aveda shampoo is really good in volumizing your hair but does not make it hard to manage. Thumbs up!

Its a shame i could not get the hair potion. Will get someone to help me ship from the states!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Hi guys, i just bought the Aveda pure abundance shampoo and clay conditioner. I must say i am really impressed with the shampoo. I have tried so many brands of shampoo. They either make my hair too soft, or hard to manage. The Aveda shampoo is really good in volumizing your hair but does not make it hard to manage. Thumbs up!

Its a shame i could not get the hair potion. Will get someone to help me ship from the states!

Hey WB, I remember you are from Australia aswell?

Couldn't find the potion but found most of the other products listed by the OP.

Silky Dirt Shine & Define Creme - JONATHAN PRODUCT - Hair Care (Australia)

Pure Abundance Volumizing Shampoo - AVEDA - Hair Care (Australia)

Pure Abundance Volumizing Clay Conditioner - AVEDA - Hair Care (Australia)

I've used them multiple times to ship products to me here in Sydney (Takes 1 week). They are Hong Kong based and prices are usually pretty good. I will be ordering the shampoo and conditioner to give it a go :cool:

hi guys, i just got my Aveda hair potion, samy fat hair and FX texture dirt from the states, courtesy of TTP aka David.

Sorry mate, u goto run around and source for me. Owe u one! Thanks again!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

wb280,

Happy to help. I hope it arrives quickly and safely and does everything you hope it will.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

This is clearly one of the most helpful posts ever written. I would like to say that I have found that Karastase Capitol Force shampoo is much better than the Aveda shampoo when used in conjunction with the rest of the prodcuts he recommends here. Its very expensive but worth every penny.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I can only find aveda pure abundance volumising shampoo is that the right one? It doesn't say clay on it.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

stonker, thats the right product. The clay Thana was refering to is the volumizing clay conditioner, also from Aveda. I would say the conditioner is just like any other conditioner, but the shampoo was awesome. I am getting the hair potion in a few days and will see if it works for me!

Thanks wb :)

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk