Verteporfin HAIR REGENERATION HUMAN TRIAL Dr. Barghouthi *OFFICIAL THREAD

Melvin- Admin

On 8/23/2023 at 4:56 PM, TV_on_LazerDisk said:

Also has anyone considered hgh or hgh releasing peptides (I know they use this with burn victims to regenerate tissue), or peptides that help with wound regeneration bpc 157, tb500

Let´s first focus on the effect of verteporfin alone and focus on different dosages, application methods etc. According to theory, that should already be enough. 

When enough research is in and this effect is well understood, we can look at other ways to improve efficacy if needed.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2023 at 4:39 PM, Magic City said:

Does anyone know when we can expect updates from Dr. Bloxham?

His initial YouTube video was put out on July 21st and he did the procedures around July 11th. So as of now it's only been about a month-ish. One site mentioned that he'd share a lot more data around months 3-4, so I'd expect updates around October-November. I'm also keeping an eye on this for both use cases (scar reduction/healing and hair follicle neogenesis)

On 8/9/2023 at 1:58 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Sorry guys, he canceled the meeting and rescheduled for August 28th. 

This is also something I'm definitely excited for! Thanks so much for taking the effort to get in touch with Dr Longaker, and to be willing to continually work with him since it seems this got rescheduled a few times. Life happens, of course, and I'm just grateful that he was even willing to setup a call with you to answer any questions at all. 

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to check back this week - here's hoping the stars align and everything pans out.

The NYTimes article with Dr. Longaker's trial drew a lot of attention to Veterporfin and to his (hopefully) upcoming trial on children with cleft lips. Obviously children cannot grow hair on their lips yet, but another user had a great point - healthy skin should have sweat glands and hair follicles. So if Dr. Longaker's trial can show that cleft lip surgery can heal with little-to-no scar then the implication is that the healed area would be normal skin that would develop hair follicles as usual. I'm quite hopeful that his trial will be able to move forward since this does show a lot of progress already.

Thanks again Melvin for setting this up and putting in all the time to continue working towards a phone call. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, blackpink said:

His initial YouTube video was put out on July 21st and he did the procedures around July 11th. So as of now it's only been about a month-ish. One site mentioned that he'd share a lot more data around months 3-4, so I'd expect updates around October-November. I'm also keeping an eye on this for both use cases (scar reduction/healing and hair follicle neogenesis)

Really hope this works for both scarring and follicle regeneration. I’m holding off on booking an FUE until we know. And if it does work, I’ll probably need to hold off another 2 years until doctors are using it lol

On 8/26/2023 at 10:28 PM, blackpink said:

If there is a way to contact him it might be useful to ask him about the healing of the skin in his patients. The effect of verteporfin should be that this it is slower, but without scars. After 1,5 month, the skin healing should be about complete under normal circumstances, so if his patients report a slower recovery that could be a sign of the drug working. 

Nothing to get overly excited or pessimistic about, a faster or slower healing process can have other causes too, but i could be an indication.

• Administrators

UPDATE: 

Dr. Longaker canceled the meeting. He was in the clinic assisting a doctor that called out. I asked his secretary for another date, but I haven’t received a response. I will update you guys if and when she responds. 

I think we may have to push forward without his input. But lets hope he reaches out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

UPDATE: 

Dr. Longaker canceled the meeting. He was in the clinic assisting a doctor that called out. I asked his secretary for another date, but I haven’t received a response. I will update you guys if and when she responds. 

I think we may have to push forward without his input. But lets hope he reaches out. 

I can confirm that hairdao spoke to dr Longaker but unfortunately, we got no info regarding dosages. He asked all information he shared to be kept confidential, so we can’t share anything else, but I agree that we should move forward without his input. 

• Administrators

I don’t think he was ever gonna give us dosing information. You have to understand his study wasn’t about surgical hair restoration. So he probably wouldn’t feel confident giving dosages if he hasn’t studied it for that purpose. But I was interested to hear whether he thought this novel approach was scientifically sound based on his observations.

We have to remember, the biggest reason why doctors haven’t tried this yet is because the science is weak. At least, that’s their perception. But if we had Dr. Longaker, providing the reasons why or why not this should be pursued that could have gone a long way. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

22 minutes ago, Fox243 said:

I can confirm that hairdao spoke to dr Longaker but unfortunately, we got no info regarding dosages. He asked all information he shared to be kept confidential, so we can’t share anything else, but I agree that we should move forward without his input. 

When you say "we" do you mean that you were involved in the hairdao call or you know what they discussed? I don't know much about hairdao but I'd imagine that if he was willing to speak with someone from that group then I'd imagine he's willing to speak with others within the hair community in general. 

It's unfortunate that he's unable to offer any info publicly though

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

UPDATE: 

Too bad, but thanks for trying though. 

Could the call maybe be a little bit too much of a commitment? Maybe you can mail him your questions so that he could mail back whenever convenient for him?

It seems in 2-3 months we will have much better understanding about verteporfin efficiency.
Dr. Bloxham's trial results will show improvement on scarring and Dr. Barghouthi's follow up with the first patient will show if the results are persistent or not.

• Administrators

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

View my thread

10 hours ago, TV_on_LazerDisk said:

This is exciting. I'm curious how fue megasession recovery is with this

Also wondering how different dosages maybe effect the amount of hair regeneration 

Judging from the video from dr. Bloxham, the application method is also not as straightforward as one might think. Maybe there is some learning curve there as well.

And of course, great news about dr. Pittella also joining the list of doctors experimenting with verteporfin. Credits to Melvin again.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 5:39 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Great! Using verteporfin in FUE megasessions would be an incredible step forward.

However, it's not clear to me if Dr. Pittella is just interested in doing verteporfin trials at some point, or is he looking to do it soon?

At any rate, I really hope future trials on donor regeneration will use a temporary tattoo, such that we can actually get some meaning metrics on whether it's actually doing anything.

Edited by alopeciaphobia
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 5:17 PM, Square1 said:

Judging from the video from dr. Bloxham, the application method is also not as straightforward as one might think. Maybe there is some learning curve there as well.

And of course, great news about dr. Pittella also joining the list of doctors experimenting with verteporfin. Credits to Melvin again.

I don't think it will take the much trial and error, just a bit

On 9/2/2023 at 8:58 PM, alopeciaphobia said:

Great! Using verteporfin in FUE megasessions would be an incredible step forward.

However, it's not clear to me if Dr. Pittella is just interested in doing verteporfin trials at some point, or is he looking to do it soon?

At any rate, I really hope future trials on donor regeneration will use a temporary tattoo, such that we can actually get some meaning metrics on whether it's actually doing anything.

Sounds like he plans to do it pretty soon

5 hours ago, TV_on_LazerDisk said:

I don't think it will take the much trial and error, just a bit

There are so many factors to consider:

• Optimal dosage of verteporfin per cm²
  • Best technique for injecting it at exactly the right depth, every time
  • Getting enough horizontal coverage across the entire surface of the donor area. How many injections does the full amount need to be divided into for it to be evenly distributed across all follicles?
  • How not to let light break it down while still retaining enough visibility for the surgeon to inject accurately
  • How much time can be between extracting a graft and injecting verteporfin? For a full-day FUE, do we need to split up the donor area into multiple areas and do extraction + injection in phases so that extraction sites don't sit without verteporfin for too long?
  • If we take the verteporfin dosage per cm² from these small experiments and do a full FUE across the whole donor area, how many bottles does it take, what does that cost, is it feasible to source this much, and is there any risk when a person has this much total verteporfin injected?

And that's just when using it in the donor area. There may be countless more questions in future trials using it directly in the balding areas.

Edited by alopeciaphobia
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 6:16 PM, alopeciaphobia said:

There are so many factors to consider:

• Optimal dosage of verteporfin per cm²
  • Best technique for injecting it at exactly the right depth, every time
  • Getting enough horizontal coverage across the entire surface of the donor area. How many injections does the full amount need to be divided into for it to be evenly distributed across all follicles?
  • How not to let light break it down while still retaining enough visibility for the surgeon to inject accurately
  • How much time can be between extracting a graft and injecting verteporfin? For a full-day FUE, do we need to split up the donor area into multiple areas and do extraction + injection in phases so that extraction sites don't sit without verteporfin for too long?
  • If we take the verteporfin dosage per cm² from these small experiments and do a full FUE across the whole donor area, how many bottles does it take, what does that cost, is it feasible to source this much, and is there any risk when a person has this much total verteporfin injected?

And that's just when using it in the donor area. There may be countless more questions in future trials using it directly in the balding areas.

The first and last point is the same question 

If it's a linear response you can just overestimate, trials should establish that fairly quickly

Light levels shouldn't take long to figure out, minimize light levels, seems it takes a bit of practice imagine fue with nods (night vision optics haha but honestly that might workhttps://www.researchgate.net/publication/289888648_Open_surgery_while_wearing_night_vision_goggles works for open surgery) 

"Specifically, the surgeon was able to perform these surgeries by wearing on his head a micro camera with infrared light and a night vision goggles..." 

Splitting to be on the safe side

Using it on bald spots would be a different ball game, I wonder if doing fue of miniaturized follicles on a bald area and then injecting verteporfin might be effective too

Edited by TV_on_LazerDisk