Oral minoxidil at 6 months

Whipaway

On 7/29/2022 at 6:39 AM, Testaccount9900 said:

Just want to make this clear for anyone interested in OM. Unlike topical it is dosage dependent, the more you take the more minoxidil metabolite you get, because your liver has enough of the enyzme, 2ndly you will get bloating/water retention on any dosage/low/high if you have a bad diet and you eat high salt foods consistently, and drink little to no water, ALONGSIDE being overweight.

Oral Min is for people who can keep track of their salt/water intake, aswell as maintain a healthy life style, take it from someone who is on 10mg of oral minoxidil, with 0 bloat, 0 water retention, the only time I have ever encountered retention on the drug is when I pigged out and had 2 pizzas and a full night of drinking with friends, which is out of the norm for my strict gymsqe life style

You are giving advice out, but then state that you're taking double what doctors prescribe of the drug for hair loss (5mg)? This could be a factor why you have had so much body hair growth. 

18 minutes ago, New_Barnet_Please said:

You are giving advice out, but then state that you're taking double what doctors prescribe of the drug for hair loss (5mg)? This could be a factor why you have had so much body hair growth. 

Yes anything more than 5mg is too much for hair loss and going into the territory of treating hypertension. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 11:39 PM, Testaccount9900 said:

Just want to make this clear for anyone interested in OM. Unlike topical it is dosage dependent, the more you take the more minoxidil metabolite you get, because your liver has enough of the enyzme, 2ndly you will get bloating/water retention on any dosage/low/high if you have a bad diet and you eat high salt foods consistently, and drink little to no water, ALONGSIDE being overweight.

Oral Min is for people who can keep track of their salt/water intake, aswell as maintain a healthy life style, take it from someone who is on 10mg of oral minoxidil, with 0 bloat, 0 water retention, the only time I have ever encountered retention on the drug is when I pigged out and had 2 pizzas and a full night of drinking with friends, which is out of the norm for my strict gymsqe life style

bro I think most people who have 2 pizzas and a full night of drinking will have some retention lol. How your experience been with it, in terms of hair results? 

59 minutes ago, New_Barnet_Please said:

I am giving out advice I am not telling people to copy my dose. Also there’s been studies done on 10mg aswell and there’s a similar side profile as 5mg

is 2.5mg too low to be effective for hairloss?

Sadly I can't handle 5mg because my blood pressure was already too low before even starting (90/60). When I go past 2.5mg my BP goes to 80/50 which is way too low.

That said, as someone with pre-existing low bp, at 2.5mg my BP and resting heart rate is exactly the same as pre-treatment, it is when I go above that I start noticing changes.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind

8 minutes ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

is 2.5mg too low to be effective for hairloss?

Sadly I can't handle 5mg because my blood pressure was already too low before even starting (90/60). When I go past 2.5mg my BP goes to 80/50 which is way too low.

That said, as someone with pre-existing low bp, at 2.5mg my BP and resting heart rate is exactly the same as pre-treatment, it is when I go above that I start noticing changes.

2.5mg can be very effective! Good luck :0)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 8:54 AM, didu911 said:

You guys should be careful, this is me after 2 weeks of 5mg oral Minoxidil.

I woke up today with a completely swollen face and also burning sensations around my hearth. 

Will eventually go to the ER, if it is still there in the evening.

image.png.18d7c8b745300507542cfe8d518789ec.png

image.png.c2d53faf7a963b0223a25d75ac2c6edb.png

Whomever prescribed you 5 mg to start is a moron.  I just started on .625 mg a day and will be moved up to 1.25 mg a day in a few months if I respond well.  5 mg is easily 4 times what you need.  And probably .625 is enough to get benefits with very low side effect risk.

Edited by John1991

• Administrators

I've been on oral minoxidil for a few weeks now, nothing but good things to report.

• Like 4

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I've been on oral minoxidil for a few weeks now, nothing but good things to report.

Awesome! Glad it is working well for you Melvin. I would certainly also give it a try, but due to me having Rosacea, i am afraid to start it 😔. For now i just use DIY biotin, saw palmetto topical spray.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 6:33 PM, civic said:

Awesome! Glad it is working well for you Melvin. I would certainly also give it a try, but due to me having Rosacea, i am afraid to start it 😔. For now i just use DIY biotin, saw palmetto topical spray.

Biotin and Saw Palmetto works?  I was under the impression that primary meds are Fin, Dut, and Minox; with everything else being a gimmick.

6 hours ago, Calihome1 said:

Biotin and Saw Palmetto works?  I was under the impression that primary meds are Fin, Dut, and Minox; with everything else being a gimmick.

If you start to believe it works, it will-) Power of suggestion is a very well documented phenomenom, which is why every pill on the market undergoes placebo & within that placebo such is noted😀

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 4:48 AM, Spring15 said:

I drink 10mg topical kirkland minoxidil, have for a year. Now noticeable negative side effects

Are you being serious?? (and I assume you meant to write NO noticeable negative side effects).

I looked at the ingredients on my MX bottle and all seem to be safe to ingest.

Propylene glycol, ethanol, water, MX.  Nothing toxic there

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Westview said:

Are you being serious?? (and I assume you meant to write NO noticeable negative side effects).

I looked at the ingredients on my MX bottle and all seem to be safe to ingest.

Propylene glycol, ethanol, water, MX.  Nothing toxic there

Yes I am. Correct I meant to write no side effects so far

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thetdog666 said:

When I was on 2.5mg daily I took it at night. I'm sure after like 12hrs its basically out your system. Now that I'm on 5mg daily I take one pill in the morning and one at night

Exactly the same here. 

On 7/17/2022 at 8:54 AM, didu911 said:

You guys should be careful, this is me after 2 weeks of 5mg oral Minoxidil.

I woke up today with a completely swollen face and also burning sensations around my hearth. 

Will eventually go to the ER, if it is still there in the evening.

image.png.18d7c8b745300507542cfe8d518789ec.png

image.png.c2d53faf7a963b0223a25d75ac2c6edb.png

I believe you when you say those are MX side-effects.

However, according to the drug literature face swelling affects less than 10% of all patients.

So that means 90% of people wont experience this.

Link: https://patient.info/medicine/minoxidil-for-high-blood-pressure-loniten