Oral minoxidil at 6 months

Whipaway

I have a separate thread on the forum for my procedure with Dr Bisanga 3 months ago, however I thought I would post a thread regarding my experience with oral minoxidil. 
At consultation Dr Bisanga recommend I took oral minoxidil - I started on 2.5 mg - 3 months later I went for my procedure and I upped the dosage to 5 mg.

Although the before and after pictures are at slightly different angles my crown and top of my head are most definitely seeing a big improvement. 
I am also 3 months into my procedure and growth has started. Fingers crossed it continues to do so 🤞

4CC25126-CFE5-4D72-919E-9B951F96DBAF.jpeg

DEF97161-B21F-4C1D-9D2C-26AAE164FDF9.jpeg

• Like 2

• Administrators

Wow incredible. Do you have any different pictures from similar angles? After what he said yesterday, i'm chomping at the bits to get my refill on oral min.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Hi @Melvin- Moderator

I tuned in live yesterday and I really enjoyed the interview. 
 I Will have to get the wife to take some images from exactly the same angle but it is most definitely working ! 

Edited by Whipaway

• Administrators

Awesome man, we don't really have any oral min journeys on here, so I'm excited to follow your progress. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I’ve become a huge advocate of oral minox myself, it’s had a great effect on me even at 2.5mg daily and for sure has stablised my existing hair (for now of course). So much so that I don’t have to take finasteride which makes me really happy as I didn’t like my trial with that at all. 

Liquid minox was horrible to apply each day and totally ineffective on me when I gave it a go years ago. I think many could benefit from a switch to the oral version but it seems to have a bit of a bad rep on some forums - which basically seems to amount to people repeating unfounded rumours that they read on another forum somewhere and believed! Or they don’t realise a low dose is taken for hairloss reducing any risk profile.

Edited by New_Barnet_Please

You guys should be careful, this is me after 2 weeks of 5mg oral Minoxidil.

I woke up today with a completely swollen face and also burning sensations around my hearth. 

Will eventually go to the ER, if it is still there in the evening.

image.png.18d7c8b745300507542cfe8d518789ec.png

image.png.c2d53faf7a963b0223a25d75ac2c6edb.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, didu911 said:

You guys should be careful, this is me after 2 weeks of 5mg oral Minoxidil.

I woke up today with a completely swollen face and also burning sensations around my hearth. 

Will eventually go to the ER, if it is still there in the evening.

image.png.18d7c8b745300507542cfe8d518789ec.png

image.png.c2d53faf7a963b0223a25d75ac2c6edb.png

As of yet, please take care of yourself. Try not to be alone. Hope you get better soon and thanks so much for the warning on oral minoxidil. There is some talk about this drug on reddit and social media. People always talk about the danger of finasteride but oral minoxidil seems to be dangerous too.

Perhaps in the future, talk to a doctor if you plan on taking oral minoxidil again and lowering the dosage to 2.5mg. 

Wish you well.

1 minute ago, Antlor said:

As of yet, please take care of yourself. Try not to be alone. Hope you get better soon and thanks so much for the warning on oral minoxidil. There is some talk about this drug on reddit and social media. People always talk about the danger of finasteride but oral minoxidil seems to be dangerous too.

Perhaps in the future, talk to a doctor if you plan on taking oral minoxidil again and lowering the dosage to 2.5mg. 

Wish you well.

Thank you, as for now, the swelling subsided, I still have chest pain while breathing but I think it will clear up by tomorrow. 

I was in shock this morning, seeing my face bloatet and feeling the pain in my chest was scary. 
I think everyone should go to see a doctor immediately if it happens to them. 

I will clearly stop oral minoxidil, even half the dose is not worth it. 

My body reacts in a very heavy way to this drug and overthinking it, I don’t think doctors should describe oral minoxidil in any form!

(Especially HT Docs or derms).

All the best and keep safe !

3 minutes ago, didu911 said:

I was in shock this morning, seeing my face bloatet and feeling the pain in my chest was scary. 
I think everyone should go to see a doctor immediately if it happens to them. 

The really responsible thing would have been to come on here AFTER you take your own advice about seeing a doctor immediately. Now you're just spreading fear based on a hunch. And if you get better without seeing a doc, you're going to feel compelled to share your story when it may actually have nothing to do with the drug, mudding the waters, and making it more difficult for guys to make informed decisions based on verified medical evidence.  

Medical staff being able to observe and monitor while these symptoms are occurring is critical for proper diagnosis, damage assessment, etc. Just because you've been taking medication that has the potential to cause a side effect doesn't mean that's what is happening. Burning sensations in the heart area can be caused by non-serious things like stomach acid reflux. Same goes for facial swelling, I had a weird cold about a year ago that caused more swelling on my face than is in your pictures. Kept taking finasteride and minoxidil throughout the cold. We've all got personal stories and experiences, and they are not a good basis for us or other people to be makeing medication decisions.  

Noticed you just commented yesterday on another topic about getting massive testicle pain from finasteride. Perhaps you are pretty unlucky getting legit side effects, but perhaps there could also be an over-active imagination at play triggering drug-like side effect symptoms. Some guys really fall down the rabbit hole trying to cope with hair loss, and coupling that with the lockdown environment of recent years, its nothing to be ashamed of. 

Ending with general advice for everyone, get your symptoms checked out and verified by medically and psychologically trained professionals ASAP. Sounding off about medical hunches on forums can be harmful too. Because we are all mostly guys here fighting against hair loss, there's a tendency to assume we are more alike than we actually are. We only see a small slice of each other on this forum. That's nothing compared to all the genetic, physiological, psychological differences and personal issues that we don't see. And its those areas of our lives that determine whether we experience side effects, real or imagined. 

image.thumb.png.3e6dcc8524730b1843deef869089ca8c.png

• Like 2

• Administrators

@didu911

Your face looks normal. Can you share a picture of your face when it isn’t “swollen” for comparison? 

I do think side effects will occur for some, so I’m not denying that, but hard to agree with swelling if theres no comparison. 

View my thread

On 7/16/2022 at 3:52 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

With all due respect and I wish you a speedy recovery …

you were on minoxidil for over 2 weeks , did this then just suddenly happen ? If so how do you know it’s the minoxidil ? 
in terms of the picture , what are we looking at ? Can you show us your face as it would normally be ? 

There is little doubt that the bloating and the chess pain you experienced are side effects from oral minox. Bloating is a even a common side effect. Do not let those comments distract you. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

There is little doubt that the bloating and the chess pain you experienced are side effects from oral minox. Bloating is a even a common side effect. Do not let those comments distract you. 

Rarely does anybody on this forum with a drug side effect-like symptom experience provide any evidence that they have even seen a doctor, much less a diagnosis, confirming that their symptoms are actually being caused by hair loss medication.  But for some reason that doesn't seem to factor much into Dr Mike10's doubt-o-meter. 

6 minutes ago, ciaus said:

Rarely does anybody on this forum with a drug side effect-like symptom experience provide any evidence that they have even seen a doctor, much less a diagnosis, confirming that their symptoms are actually being caused by hair loss medication.  But for some reason that doesn't seem to factor much into Dr Mike10's doubt-o-meter. 

look, you can convince yourself ou whatever you want. I stand by my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

@didu911

Your face looks normal. Can you share a picture of your face when it isn’t “swollen” for comparison? 

I do think side effects will occur for some, so I’m not denying that, but hard to agree with swelling if theres no comparison. 

Thats a thing 🙂

Unswollen:

image.png.a7291d7a080cee603d321efe5d0a3c72.png

Swollen:

image.png.56c09951e17eda7d3fb73d6497511cec.png

Most doctors prescribe oral minoxidil and believe it's safe. 

Dr. Sergio Vaño and Dr. Oscar Muñoz swear by it. 

Freitas and Pinto also prefer oral minoxidil. 

I know Bisanga, Shapiro, Russell Knudsen, Mwamba, Bhatti also commonly prescribe it in.their practice. 

On the other hand, Kevin Mann (who used oral minoxidil back in the day) made a series a videos about oral minoxidil and concluded it's not safe.

I believe oral minoxidil is no joke. Better than the topical for sure  since it skips the sulfotransferase issue, but it should be monitored under medical supervision. It's a good drug but not everyone is a candidate for it. 

Btw how much estradiol do you take Jan ? 

I wish you a rapid recovery

38 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

look, you can convince yourself ou whatever you want. I stand by my opinion. 

Its not about convincing, its about noticing when you comment on side effect topics your 'opinions' amount to blaming the drug without recommending they consult with a medical professional to confirm.

6 minutes ago, ciaus said:

Its not about convincing, its about noticing when you comment on side effect topics your 'opinions' amount to blaming the drug without recommending they consult with a medical professional to confirm.

but you can't confirm. how would that work? you look of it is one of listed sides, you drop the drug and if the issue resolve itself, you pretty much have certainty

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Legal action and refund said:

I know Bisanga, Shapiro, Russell Knudsen, Mwamba, Bhatti also commonly prescribe it in.their practice. 

On the other hand, Kevin Mann (who used oral minoxidil back in the day) made a series a videos about oral minoxidil and concluded it's not safe.

I believe oral minoxidil is no joke. Better than the topical for sure  since it skips the sulfotransferase issue, but it should be monitored under medical supervision. It's a good drug but not everyone is a candidate for it. 

to be fair I think the jury is still out there as regards the safety profile. But I do note  that more people are now coming out with sides. but like with any other drug, my perception is that some tolerate, some do not. is it generally safer than Propecia? I do not know, but Drs like to prescribe oral Minox because a lot of  are afraid of taking Propecia. At the end it is a business also.

24 minutes ago, Legal action and refund said:

Thank you 🙂

I am on 6mg Estrofem, but I am a little pissed. My body doesn't procude much skin oil anymore, so my hair is always like fresh out of the shower, having thin hair doesn't help ;)