Oral minoxidil at 6 months

Whipaway

25 minutes ago, ciaus said:

Sorry mate, too many personal stories from anonymous amateur people making medical conclusions without consulting doctors at all. 

Stop the drug immediately, by all means, until further evaluation and consultation under your doctor's advisement. And don't just say everyone should see a doctor immediately when they are experiencing a symptom you are currently, and then not follow that advice yourself. I'll call it out every time I see it. 

I work adjacent to the medical field and know a lot of Dr's personally. I will tell you exactly what will happen when OP goes to his Dr: They will look up the side effects of oral Min on Google or WebMD and tell him it's in his best interest to get off of it. 

Amazing how people are so reliant on listening to Dr's at the detriment of their own health. Sometimes a little "first principle thinking" goes a long ways. No one will ever care about your own health more than you. But I think you're strong reaction to OP's thread is coming from a personal place. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

I work adjacent to the medical field and know a lot of Dr's personally. I will tell you exactly what will happen when OP goes to his Dr: They will look up the side effects of oral Min on Google or WebMD and tell him it's in his best interest to get off of it. 

Amazing how people are so reliant on listening to Dr's at the detriment of their own health. Sometimes a little "first principle thinking" goes a long ways. No one will ever care about your own health more than you. But I think you're strong reaction to OP's thread is coming from a personal place. 

I've already said I don't come here just for my own battle with hair loss, but to also help others deal with it too. And I'm glad looking back that I got on finasteride and minoxidil years before I found the speculative personal stories on this forum and the internet in general when it comes to drug side effects.

My sympathies go out to those that settle for amateurs and people 'adjacent to the medical field' when it comes to treating their hair loss with medication.

Edited by ciaus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ciaus said:

I've already said I don't come here just for my own battle with hair loss, but to also help others deal with it too. And I'm glad looking back that I got on finasteride and minoxidil years before I found the speculative personal stories on this forum and the internet in general when it comes to drug side effects.

My sympathies go out to those that settle for amateurs and people 'adjacent to the medical field' when it comes to treating their hair loss with medication.

Way to deflect from the matter at hand. Good day to you! 

43 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

The matter at hand is seeking professional medical help when you have symptoms that resemble drug side effects.

Thanks for trying to twist that into something personal about me though. We can still make this a teachable moment, as another example of why guys should be going to their doctors instead of forums like this to make their medical decisions. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

This thread is going way off the rails. It was about @Whipaway minoxidil results. Fair enough, @didu911 experienced sides, or at least perceived sided. But let’s open a new thread to discuss his particular case. 

onwards,

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

6 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Deflecting, Evading. that is all he is doing. It is clear by now that we have exposed this guy to what he is. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, didu911 said:

Well, it's so hard for me to see the reality these days. 

My result is looking different in every mirror and light condition, going from a full head of hair to a guy with some strand of hair on the bold head.

This is driving me f*ckin crazy!

Ordered a new Iphone to make some vids in daylight and see what the result currently looks like, or like other people see me.

If it looks like in the image, I think I should be good with a SMP and eventually a donor repair....

image.png.49a8976be3f08ef124247aa398d04939.png

This Dr bekir did an amazing job lol, where hes from HLC

8 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Yeh, i agree man, some doctors are idiots. Are you from the UK, I've seen that happen where they google symptoms or look at the handbook? 

14 hours ago, Whipaway said:
On 7/16/2022 at 3:52 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

With all due respect and I wish you a speedy recovery …

you were on minoxidil for over 2 weeks , did this then just suddenly happen ? If so how do you know it’s the minoxidil ? 
in terms of the picture , what are we looking at ? Can you show us your face as it would normally be ? 

This is the key point, if you had no effects and this suddenly happened you don’t really have that much to link it to oral minoxidil. Correlation not causation. It’s easy to attribute it to that, but yes a doctor might be able to check you to see if it is genuinely a side effect or just something else that’s come up, but you don’t want to do that. As someone else said that’s the problem with forums for medical advice. When I took it I did a great deal of research into the studies and had a detailed discussion with the doctor prescribing it, if I’d have had any perceived side effect (never have) I would’ve gone back to the doctor for advice to check out what might be going on.

PS for anyone reading it’s a good idea to start something like this on a low dose for a while as a trial.

Edited by New_Barnet_Please
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, New_Barnet_Please said:

This is the key point, if you had no effects and this suddenly happened you don’t really have that much to link it to oral minoxidil. Correlation not causation. It’s easy to attribute it to that, but yes a doctor might be able to check you to see if it is genuinely a side effect or just something else that’s come up, but you don’t want to do that. As someone else said that’s the problem with forums for medical advice. When I took it I did a great deal of research into the studies and had a detailed discussion with the doctor prescribing it, if I’d have had any perceived side effect (never have) I would’ve gone back to the doctor for advice to check out what might be going on.

PS for anyone reading it’s a good idea to start something like this on a low dose for a while as a trial.

Your in denial , the drug may not cause it initially , but once it builds up it can. The drug is for blood presssure and the side effects op suffered are exactly the side effects associated with oral form . The thing is it’s nothing to be alarmed about , alot of people won’t get these effects and op’s biological anatomy means he unfortunately did. That how all drugs work even ones like aspirin, there a reason they have side effects profiles on All leaflets 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

Your in denial , the drug may not cause it initially , but once it builds up it can. The drug is for blood presssure and the side effects op suffered are exactly the side effects associated with oral form . The thing is it’s nothing to be alarmed about , alot of people won’t get these effects and op’s biological anatomy means he unfortunately did. That how all drugs work even ones like aspirin, there a reason they have side effects profiles on All leaflets 

I’m not in denial at all, it’s just not a good idea to jump to conclusions, especially in this case without medical input.

Anyway, it works great for me. The only advice if you are interested in it is to read the studies (https://m.youtube.com/c/MrRolandas) has good links to them if you search or ask the doctor for them, start on a low dose and consult with a doctor while monitoring. If you aren’t interested that’s fine - the only reason I’m bothering to say this is as there’s definitely excessive fear mongering on forums around the subject and often people know hardly anything about it.

3 minutes ago, New_Barnet_Please said:

I’m not in denial at all, it’s just not a good idea to jump to conclusions, especially in this case without medical input.

Anyway, it works great for me. The only advice if you are interested in it is to read the studies (https://m.youtube.com/c/MrRolandas) has good links to them if you search or ask the doctor for them, start on a low dose and consult with a doctor while monitoring. If you aren’t interested that’s fine - the only reason I’m bothering to say this is as there’s definitely excessive fear mongering on forums around the subject and often people know hardly anything about it.

Yeh, I don't why your trying to go full defence mode on oral minoxidil, as I said for most it will be fine, but his side effects are the exact ones associated with oral minoxidil. Water retention and heart burning are the main stated potential effects of the drugs, you don't have to be a doctor to realize its the drug causing this since they started while he's only been on it for two weeks, and tbh minoxidil a growth stimulant, I would not use it unless your using fin or dut  as its pointless to regrow new hair if your losing hair at the same time

20 minutes ago, New_Barnet_Please said:

fear mongering is one thing, sharing my experience is another. I can share the pictures and describe the symptoms. I didn’t went to the ER, but this is my decision. Would it be better to not share my experience at all, do I need to see a doctor and get a certificate before posting?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, didu911 said:

fear mongering is one thing, sharing my experience is another. I can share the pictures and describe the symptoms. I didn’t went to the ER, but this is my decision. Would it be better to not share my experience at all, do I need to see a doctor and get a certificate before posting?

Post your experience of course, I’m only suggesting things aren’t always as clear cut as they seem. But aside from that yes I do think your statement “overthinking it, I don’t think doctors should describe oral minoxidil in any form!” is exactly what I’d call fear mongering actually!

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

Yeh, I don't why your trying to go full defence mode on oral minoxidil, as I said for most it will be fine, but his side effects are the exact ones associated with oral minoxidil. Water retention and heart burning are the main stated potential effects of the drugs, you don't have to be a doctor to realize its the drug causing this since they started while he's only been on it for two weeks, and tbh minoxidil a growth stimulant, I would not use it unless your using fin or dut  as its pointless to regrow new hair if your losing hair at the same time

Sure although most studies on side effects are based around the drug’s initial use for blood pressure where people take 10-40mg per day which is a huge amount more than the 2.5-5mg people take for hair loss, I often  see people are (in my opinion) overly concerned basing it around the potential side effect risks of as if they would be taking so much.

22 hours ago, didu911 said:

You guys should be careful, this is me after 2 weeks of 5mg oral Minoxidil.

I woke up today with a completely swollen face and also burning sensations around my hearth. 

Will eventually go to the ER, if it is still there in the evening.

image.png.18d7c8b745300507542cfe8d518789ec.png

image.png.c2d53faf7a963b0223a25d75ac2c6edb.png

question, where did you source the minoxidil from?

15 hours ago, RTC said:

question, where did you source the minoxidil from?

This is an important question. The oral minoxidil from sketchy sites like alldaychemist is not manufactured by FDA approved companies because they don’t meet quality control standards. A lot of people seem to be self medicating with low quality questionable generics because getting an oral minoxidil prescription is hard.

There are some lunatics on r/tressless that drink topical minoxidil.

Edited by Tiger2050
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tiger2050 said:

This is an important question. The oral minoxidil from sketchy sites like alldaychemist is not manufactured by FDA approved companies because they don’t meet quality control standards. A lot of people seem to be self medicating with low quality questionable generics because getting an oral minoxidil prescription is hard.

There are some lunatics on r/tressless that drink topical minoxidil.

I'm willing to bet he got it from an underground Chinese dungeon. But let's see.

• Haha 1

Oral Minoxidil is not a replacement to Oral Finasteride or dutasteride. The drug is for hypertension. Yes it does work in hair regrowth but that's should not force you to use it. Use the topical Minoxidil first for 6months and then if you don't see any positive response. Consult a Cardiologist get you echo and ECG done and if everything comes fine go for oral Minoxidil. At the same time get your echo and ECG done every month to check your heart and your overall health. That would be my suggestion for anyone considering oral Minoxidil.

14 hours ago, Spring15 said:

I drink 10mg topical kirkland minoxidil, have for a year. Now noticeable negative side effects

… why? Would you go totally against the medical instructions of how the drug is supposed to be used. Seems unnecessary as it’s possible to just get proper dosed and made for bodily consumption oral minoxidil prescribed by a doctor.. totally risky and.. crazy to do this imo!

46 minutes ago, Adier said:

Oral Minoxidil is not a replacement to Oral Finasteride or dutasteride. The drug is for hypertension. Yes it does work in hair regrowth but that's should not force you to use it. Use the topical Minoxidil first for 6months and then if you don't see any positive response. Consult a Cardiologist get you echo and ECG done and if everything comes fine go for oral Minoxidil. At the same time get your echo and ECG done every month to check your heart and your overall health. That would be my suggestion for anyone considering oral Minoxidil.

That’s your opinion, I take oral minoxidil without finasteride and it seems to work well for me, so far at least.

Yeah it’s a drug for hypertension .. when used in a much higher dose. Finasteride is a drug for benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate)… when used in a much higher dose.

Now my doctor didn’t say I needed to do anything like what you’re saying here. So on what basis are you giving this medical sounding advice to people? Low dose minoxidil is a relatively benign drug taken by millions of people in topical form and oral form isn’t much difference when it’s low dose as well. Honestly after how this thread has gone and other conversations around hair loss drugs I’ve seen on forums the best advice is don’t take any advice on a forum, including from me - speak to doctors who are knowledgeable in the area that can properly understand your medical situation and advise you.

• Like 1

@New_Barnet_PleaseI gave a suggestion. There is nothing wrong with doing echo and ECG just to be safe. 5mg Oral minoxidil is a drug for Hypertension. Moreover oral Minoxidil is yet to be FDA approved. Now in no way i am saying don't use it. All i am trying to say is use it with caution. That's all. If it is working for you nobody is stopping you from taking it. Good luck.