Dr. Hasson | 3,000 graft | 31M Caucasian | Documenting the Journey

Nordster34

I definitely understand your concern about how it looked post-op. Things usually always appear more sharp than they will eventually turn out. As of your last update I really don't think the temples look overly aggressive in any real way. Yes they could have been slightly scaled back a bit more but given where you were to where you are now and given the grand scheme of hair transplant results, I'd be happy if I were you at this stage. Just my two cents. Do you have a new update you coud share? Thanks.

• Like 1

Certainly a tough situation for OP. On one hand doc can rebute and say "why did you just not say no to such design? " on the other, you felt he knew what is best & did not want to protest professional's opinion. Inmo, its very important to trust yourself as to what you really want. For my surgery i was prepared beforehand to not accept, under no condition V shave hairline, that is just my preference to have more round desin, others might feel differrent, but i was glad my surgen drew what i pretty much had in mind.

On 6/1/2022 at 8:04 AM, Axel said:

Sorry for the double post. Are some people on here bought and paid for by H&W? Defending them after receiving all this info is utterly mind-blowing.

- The patient tells the doctor he doesn't like the outline on his hairline prior to the procedure and the doctor over-rules him. Yeah, hair transplants are his field, but this is a cosmetic surgery and there is no "right" temple or hairline shape per se. It's a $20k procedure and in the end, the patient was, as he thought, unsatisfied with the angles. To think the doctor has the RIGHT to overrule on a cosmetic, personal procedure is idiotic. This is not someone trying to tell a doctor the right way to perform a heart transplant or the like. 

- The doctor over-harvests the donor, DEPLETES it, and then charges the patient the extra 3k. The soft criticism and even outright defense of this one shocks me. No excuses for this one period. Clinic should have discounted the entire procedure to some degree and inserted extra grafts for free. 

- No time to check-in on the patient at all after finishing a procedure with all these issues? Shocking that after a huge error, there was no extra personal attention paid to the patient. H&W have a great rep, but you have to be able to look at facts and adjust your opinions. 

- A side gripe would be the assurance that only one patient is worked on a day, only to find out its not true. Lack of transparency. 

- Also, to say "well your hair will look better than before, so don't worry too much", is unbelievable. You laid for a specific service, not "better than before". I would hope it would be better, considering you paid $30,000 and now have no donor hair! I do not understand the line of reasoning at all. 

I can confirm that a lot of the info provided was true with my own procedure at H&W. They had 180 extra grafts, which they asked if I wanted to use. Obviously I wasn't just going to have them throw them away. I didn't think I would be charged for them, but I was, although the extra costs were way less than OP. There was atleast one additional patient being worked on during my procedure. I had zero follow-up by Dr. Hassan. As far as I can tell, my precedure went well, I have few complaints in that aspect. However, I will personally be using Konier for any future touchups.

Nordster34, you need to trust your gut with all these concerns you've had. Don't be dissuaded by people on here or because it's easier to just go along with things after such a huge commitment. 

If a doctor over harvests and gets extra grafts that weren't agreed upon the initial consultation that they be free and obviously used. Why on earth would the doctor throw those away or even ask the question? H&W has been historically a great clinic but this is a huge red flag IMO. 

• Like 1

I posted on this thread before that this made me consider canceling my appointment with H&W, but I think this actually looks pretty good, man. Obviously what matter is how you feel about the whole procedure but I think it looks great so far. 

2 minutes ago, CleverName said:

I posted on this thread before that this made me consider canceling my appointment with H&W, but I think this actually looks pretty good, man. Obviously what matter is how you feel about the whole procedure but I think it looks great so far. 

I agree with you that his pics look great. I had a HT less than a week ago from Hasson and had a very good experience.

Hasson was very collaborative with me in designing the hairline and his nurses were very caring. The entire day was efficient and professional.

Even the anaesthetic needles didn’t hurt that much. 

6 minutes ago, RandoBrando517 said:

Ima b honest witcha u seem ocd with the walls of text. I have no idea who has the time to read these novels. Ima just say It looks good for 4 months. I think u gotta just wait it out man. 

Unnecessary and disrespectful.  If you don’t want to read about his journey and concerns then don’t post to the thread.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, RandoBrando517 said:

Not tryna be mean jus being honest with him

Pretty much everyone appreciates reading “novels” about one’s journey, so, ya that was mean.

Also, it’s not OCD to expect decent follow up service when you drop 20k+ on a procedure; one which purportedly over harvested.

• Like 1

Just now, Calihome1 said:

Pretty much everyone appreciates reading “novels” about one’s journey, so, ya that was mean.

Also, it’s not OCD to expect decent follow up service when you drop 20k+ on a procedure; one which purportedly over harvested.

Not everybody bro speak for ur self 

• Like 1

I also agree that this is a very useful thread. Threads like this 100% impact who folks decide to go visit for a hair transplant -- which is more than just the transplant itself; it's the pre-op, operation/result, and post-op care. All that stuff matters to those of us who end up shelling out thousands of dollars.

I'm glad he listed out the good and the bad. Now more people can make an informed decision. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Calihome1 said:

Unnecessary and disrespectful.  If you don’t want to read about his journey and concerns then don’t post to the thread.

I think the more in-depth the better. I wanted every detail when I was looking for a doctor. It's a huge cost and there is VERY little info in this largely unregulated practice.

That said, it's really alarming that those actually in charge of the main content/reviews in this forum, have turned a blind eye to the objectively bad behavior by the clinic. This inspires little confidence that this forum is not completely biased, due to sponsorship by the clinics that are so highly touted within.

Edited by Axel
  • Like 2

Please keep the details in !!!  I love the play by play !!  It gives me a basis of comparison. 

Nordster34 I appreciate the time you take to detail your personal experience. 

Already looking forward to your month five post. 

Happy & healthy growing!

• Like 1

I think following up with Dr. Hasson will help you get closure on this experience (if you can ever get ahold of him)

However, you should avoid having him do any further work on you. 

You should never go to the same doctor if you were dissatisfied the first time. 

Perhaps your HT will turn out to be amazing, but the lack of communication and going against your wishes on the temple points, overharvesting of donor is enough red flags. 

A doctor can be elite and highly-ranked, but still not be compatible with you as an individual. That seems to be the case here. 

Edited by HappyMan2021

• Administrators

@Nordster34

Thank you for your detailed journey. I’m sorry for your experience thus far. However, I believe it’s important to communicate all of these issues clearly with the clinic. Also, you’re very early in your journey, everything appears to be right on track as of now. Please pm me if you need any help or have additional questions. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

@Nordster34

I have spoken to the Dr. Hasson, the clinic would like permission to respond to some of your concerns and share some pre-operative photos here, while upholding your privacy. I hope you understand this must be an open discussion, we cannot host one-way discussions. As a community, we need to hear from the clinic.  

That said, this does not sound like a normal H&W experience, most of their patients have very positive experiences and remarks. I look forward to your response. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 7/19/2022 at 8:16 PM, Kent said:

I had a HT less than a week ago from Hasson and had a very good experience.

Hasson was very collaborative with me in designing the hairline and his nurses were very caring. The entire day was efficient and professional.

Congratulations man!!! I know you’ve been following this one for a while and I’ve really appreciated your comments along the way. You’re one of the folks who has made me feel better about the temples in particular and I very much appreciate it. Huge congrats on taking the leap and getting the procedure done!!! 

On 7/20/2022 at 10:56 AM, RandoBrando517 said:

Ima b honest witcha u seem ocd with the walls of text. I have no idea who has the time to read these novels. Ima just say It looks good for 4 months. I think u gotta just wait it out man. 

All good and I appreciate the honesty here. I have been posting walls of text and some ppl love it, some ppl don’t. I agree the growth is looking good for 4 months and it’s looking better every day, so I am still hoping this will be the A+ type result we all expect from H&W. In the end, that’s what matters the most. 

On 7/21/2022 at 11:36 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

I believe it’s important to communicate all of these issues clearly with the clinic. Also, you’re very early in your journey, everything appears to be right on track as of now. Please pm me if you need any help or have additional questions. 

Totally agreed, and thanks for checking in on this and for your openness to answering my questions! Highly appreciate it! 

On 7/22/2022 at 9:44 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

the clinic would like permission to respond to some of your concerns and share some pre-operative photos here, while upholding your privacy. I hope you understand this must be an open discussion, we cannot host one-way discussions. As a community, we need to hear from the clinic.  

That said, this does not sound like a normal H&W experience, most of their patients have very positive experiences and remarks.

Yes totally agree here too. Happy to have the clinic chime in. I’ve been super factual and honestly one of my hopes from all this posting is that they can improve a couple parts of the patient experience. The biggest would be to have some time to debrief and discuss with the doctor at the end. That should be a very actionable takeaway. Main thing I ask the clinic is to please respect my privacy here 100%. I am extremely careful about privacy so please, H&W, don’t post any pics or info that could identify me today or in the future (facial recognition software is only getting better, so please crop very aggressively). 

On 7/21/2022 at 11:30 AM, HappyMan2021 said:

A doctor can be elite and highly-ranked, but still not be compatible with you as an individual. That seems to be the case here. 

Thanks for this and for all your posts along the way! Totally possible re: compatibility. I would definitely like to mention that I’ve really liked all of my interactions with Dr. Hasson himself. I think the main issue here is just around their process (no debrief at the end, a bit more discussion around the harvest and usage of any extra grafts, clarity on how much reserves remaining). These are really operational items to change and I don’t think reflect poorly on the Dr or clinic from a culture or values perspective. I liked the Dr and staff a lot in all of my interactions. 

Thanks everyone for all the comments along the way. This group has been super super helpful and I really appreciate the community here!! 

Edited by Nordster34
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nordstrr34

Dr. Hasson thought he replied to your concerns promptly on the phone when you asked to speak to him. You did seem to be reassured at the time. I have also emailed you and you can respond if you like, and we can further discuss your case. We can also arrange another call with Dr. Hasson if necessary. It is quite normal for patients who have been through two long days of surgery and spent a lot of money to expect lots of reassurance and support from the entire clinic staff.  To experience a degree of anxiety in the first few months before the hair starts to grow and thickens is also common. I know Dr. Hasson spends his energy, accumulated experience, and skill - on each patient he treats - knowing well that for each individual,  that this is likely the most important and possibly expensive treatment in their life. I believe he tries to explain his rationale for doing exactly what he does so that the patient is informed. But for what ever reason in some cases perhaps the communication for both parties could be better. Dr. Hasson wants every procedure to be as completely transparent as possible.

I did want to touch on a few things here to clear up some misconceptions. If there are some specific topics I missed that someone has questions on, I can address them if necessary. While there are some comments here that probably don’t merit a response, I will do my best.  

“I’m surprised to hear the clinic mixed up your day 2 extraction count.”  There was no mix up. Going into the procedure, we initially estimated something in the 4,000-graft range. In the morning, it was determined that with the desired hairline placement and considering the additional weakness in the frontal zone, closer to 4,500 grafts would be required.  This was communicated and agreed upon. The final total ended up being 4,600. It is common for numbers to be revised based on final hairline placement and game plan.

“I'm a little surprised to hear that the clinic thinks your donor is tapped out already.” Not sure exactly how you got that perception, but the donor supply was not exhausted.  In general, we do not consider it possible to take all the donor hair in one session in a virgin scalp case such as this.

Since the Dr. didn't stop by at the end of the procedure (I think this is something they should change as it just doesn't feel ideal that the Dr. doesn't check on it at the end)Understandable. In some cases, Dr. Hasson will stop by at various stages and the patient may be sleeping and he does not want to disturb them.  There can be 3 technician shift changes in a 12 plus hour day and Dr. Hasson can’t be in the OR for all of that period of time of course. However, he can monitor the entire procedure at any time via camera and he can see and hear everything. If he is unable to be present for the final part of the procedure when the patient is finished, the technicians will send him high-definition photos of the result and he then looks to makes sure everything is perfect before he allows the patient to leave. If he sees something that needs his attention, he is minutes away.  

They still did more temple work than I expected and harvested more hair than I think they intended to (seems they simply decided to put that extra hair to use doing a bit more temple work)In your case we did not harvest more than intended. When Dr. Hasson designs the hairline and temples, the line he draws is basically how the framing will look and the larger grafts will go close or up to the line. The softening of the hairline and temples comes with the incisions for the single hairs. These incisions will in many cases extent slightly over the line. In the case of temples, singles hairs are placed in front of the line to soften the transition. Therefore, the peak or point may appear to be more pronounced when the skin is red. Temples are technically difficult but necessary in many cases to create the proper framing and balance. While you can get a good sense of what things will look like immediately post-op, it is not always a good indication of what the final result will reveal.

I still feel they did more temple work than needed on day 2 because of the overharvest. This resulted in a more aggressive temple line than was desirable—they pulled the temples a bit further forward than I'd have liked & what was originally designed. This aggressive temple line is unbalanced relative to the hairline which was kept pretty high/conservative. Again, no over harvest. In my opinion the balance is correct, and I think in the end you will like it. As stated, the “pulling forward” was a product of the transition with single hair grafts that is necessary to make the temples look as natural as possible.

In reference to the donor area shot posted March 30 – I often ask for more detailed photos to present the doctor when a patient fills out the online consultation form. If a patient had sent me the photo you posted on March 30 of your donor hair, I would not have considered it was a post-op shot and I would have assumed the patient had no prior procedure let alone a procedure less than two weeks prior. I’ve seen plenty of overharvested areas in photos patients sent me and in person who had previous work at other clinics. This is a beautiful uniform harvest executed perfectly in my opinion. That photo says it all.

On that note, are any H&W reps active here and able to answer whether H&W fixes these issues free of charge like some other top docs do? This will likely be a valuable question to have answered here for prospective clients...We do and always have guaranteed our work. We stand behind our work. My patients are always welcome to reach out to me with any concerns or questions at any time during the process pre and post-op. I have emailed Nordstrr34 offering to set up a call. I would like to go over his concerns and help in any way I can to reassure him. In the end if he is not happy, we will make it right.   

Honestly, without seeming to be negative, I really don't understand why they shaped the temples like that. Seems very unnatural to me. I think the temples are going to turn out great. If there is something about the final result Nordster34 doesn’t like, Dr. Hasson can tweak the design to his liking as long as Dr. Hasson feels it will look natural. Even if it is not the design Dr. Hasson feels will bring out a patient’s facial features and make him look the most appealing, there are other options as far as placement and design that would still look natural.

TBH, I wouldn't have been at all upset if the Dr. said to me during the procedure "Look, we've filled in your temples per the plan and it looks like we have ~500-800 extra grafts. Let's discuss where you want them." I was more than happy to pay for all the grafts, after all, and I have. Instead, when Dr. Hasson finished the temple incisions to the plan, he sort of hesitated and stepped away from the chair for a bit and then came back and started going all around the temple edges and enlarging them. It was pretty obvious he was struggling to figure out where to put all the extra hairs. What you may have perceived as him struggling to place extra hair was actually part of his preferred process. Dr. Hasson likes to go back in at the later stages of the process and fine tune the work by scanning the recipient area and adding additional grafts where appropriate to create the necessary and most uniform density. I think the 12 day post-op shot looks very good. Personally, if it was me, I would not have liked to have the 500-800 less grafts. Actually, if Dr. Hasson would have had more grafts to work with and all the factors were favorable,  I believe he would have liked to use even a few more.

Very disappointing to hear the lack of service as well as lack of accountability by H&W here.  They should stand by their name and bear any cost of repair, assuming you would trust them again. As stated, we do and always have guaranteed our work. Repair? Not sure how to respond to that so I won’t 😊

Dr Hasson deserves a chance to make good here before questioning his accountability? Nordster34 hasn’t yet reached out to Dr Hasson.  Agree.

I’d love advice from the community here as to the best way to reach back out to Dr. Hasson. Respond to my email if you like and I can assist as mentioned.

So I guess my questions are whether I should be reaching out now to Dr. Hasson, waiting until month 12 to reach out, or even reaching out to some other docs now as a plan b…? You can reach out to other top doctors if you like, I’d be curious to hear what they say about this work. On one hand they may be very concerned that if you didn’t like this work that they could make it better. Some doctors, but likley not the top ethical doctors might also like to put in a few grafts and then claim this result as theirs.  While unethical and very deceiving in my opinion, it could be great for their business. It wouldn’t be the first time another doctor claimed our work to be theirs. In my opinion you just need to be more patient.

I don't think it's fair to the doctor or to the accuracy of the review to draw any premature conclusions. If a close friend or relative called me tomorrow and asked for my recommendation, to be completely honest I would not in good conscience be able to recommend Dr. Hasson at this time.I agree I think it is unfair, you should always wait to draw your conclusions until after the final result

Do folks think I should reach out to Dr. Hasson and request a follow up appointment (perhaps over zoom)? Does anyone else here have experience with H&W follow-ups? – Again, if you feel the need to speak with Dr. Hasson, I am happy to help arrange that.

Agreed. I'm a huge fan of their work, but this seems unethical.  – As presented here initially, it may have seemed unethical but after hearing our explanations, I think it is clear nothing here is unethical.  

Sorry for the double post. Are some people on here bought and paid for by H&W? Defending them after receiving all this info is utterly mind-blowing. We have never paid people to post. See below

H&W have a great rep, but you have to be able to look at facts and adjust your opinions. Agree . However, a fact is a thing that is known or proved to be true. Just because someone says something does not make it a fact. I too can be emotional and prematurely jump to conclusions. I try to be fair and balanced and gather information from both sides before I draw my conclusions.   

I feel that most of the surgeons on hair restoration network could have given you a better experience with a much lower price.It is unfortunate Nordster34 did not have the experience he or we would have liked. There may be times when for whatever reason we may not live up to certain expectations even if we still deliver the result.  I believe we do a great job of trying to make the experience a good one and that is reflected in most of the comments I receive.  Perhaps another surgeon could have given you a better experience at a lower price but in my opinion not a better result.

Main thing I ask the clinic is to please respect my privacy here 100%. I am extremely careful about privacy so please, H&W, don’t post any pics or info that could identify me today or in the future (facial recognition software is only getting better, so please crop very aggressively). We will never intentionally reveal your identity or post any photos that might without your permission. I’m not sure we need to post anything here but if we do, I will make sure there is a proper block.

It is important to us how our patients feel about the whole experience, and we are not happy if the patient isn’t. In the end the result will speak for itself and hopefully change the perception.

Nordstrr34

We expect in the end you will be happy as the full result grows in. From what we can see at this stage, it looks like it will turn out very good. I will look forward to hearing from you if you desire and updates on how everything is taking shape.

A post like yours has a lot of value in that it chronicles the patient’s own experience including the feelings of doubt and anxiety.  Continued updates as your result progresses will provide value to those forum members and help in their journey to achieve their hair restoration goals.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com