Dr. Hasson | 3,000 graft | 31M Caucasian | Documenting the Journey

Nordster34

11 minutes ago, stephcurry30 said:

Great response and showing some class from H&W. I'm surprised that H&W has technicians doing the majority of the operation. I thought both Wong and Hasson each saw one patient a day and did the whole operations themselves. 

I agree with you about providing a thorough and clear response to comments made by Nordster34 and others. I think with limited information and full face pics it’s easy to misjudge a hairline and temple work. I may be incorrect but I don’t believe a full face image was posted to properly judge Hasson’s design. 

I’m not sure most HT docs do harvesting (unless FUT) and implants - I think that’s rare. I never expected the doctor to do my implants for my HT. The doc should work with the patient to co-create the plan and design, make the incisions, do the strip (if FUT), and oversee the entire process. Otherwise it would take forever to do one transplant. I wouldn’t even consider the work of the techs lessor than the doc as this is what they do thousands of times over and over. 

I think Nordster34 will have a good result and I’m happy to know the clinic will do any tweaking if he desires after the final result has been determined. 

38 minutes ago, stephcurry30 said:

I'm surprised that H&W has technicians doing the majority of the operation. I thought both Wong and Hasson each saw one patient a day and did the whole operations themselves. 

I was surprised by this too. The trend for the elite docs is definitely 1:1 attention and docs doing as much as possible as they can personally. Guess H & W is the exception. 

• Like 1

Props to Doug for providing an in-depth response. 

I'm still a bit confused tho bc many people in this thread thought Nordster's donor was - if not overharvested then at least over-utilized, but Doug definitely says this is not the case. 

14 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I was surprised by this too. The trend for the elite docs is definitely 1:1 attention and docs doing as much as possible as they can personally. Guess H & W is the exception. 

I had H&W on my shortlist of candidates for locations for hair transplant but upon this information I'll go with other clinics that have doctors at all times during the surgery. that 1 on 1 is very important IMO and is a reason why so many "top" clinics have some sub par results unlike clinics that strictly have the doctor do everything. 

It's funny how and a bit hypocritical how we do not recommend many clinics in turkey because it's a hair mill and the technicians do all the work rather then the doctor and then here in the states some clinics are following suit.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, H & W Doug said:

Nordstrr34

Dr. Hasson thought he replied to your concerns promptly on the phone when you asked to speak to him. You did seem to be reassured at the time. I have also emailed you and you can respond if you like, and we can further discuss your case. We can also arrange another call with Dr. Hasson if necessary. It is quite normal for patients who have been through two long days of surgery and spent a lot of money to expect lots of reassurance and support from the entire clinic staff.  To experience a degree of anxiety in the first few months before the hair starts to grow and thickens is also common. I know Dr. Hasson spends his energy, accumulated experience, and skill - on each patient he treats - knowing well that for each individual,  that this is likely the most important and possibly expensive treatment in their life. I believe he tries to explain his rationale for doing exactly what he does so that the patient is informed. But for what ever reason in some cases perhaps the communication for both parties could be better. Dr. Hasson wants every procedure to be as completely transparent as possible.

I did want to touch on a few things here to clear up some misconceptions. If there are some specific topics I missed that someone has questions on, I can address them if necessary. While there are some comments here that probably don’t merit a response, I will do my best.  

“I’m surprised to hear the clinic mixed up your day 2 extraction count.”  There was no mix up. Going into the procedure, we initially estimated something in the 4,000-graft range. In the morning, it was determined that with the desired hairline placement and considering the additional weakness in the frontal zone, closer to 4,500 grafts would be required.  This was communicated and agreed upon. The final total ended up being 4,600. It is common for numbers to be revised based on final hairline placement and game plan.

“I'm a little surprised to hear that the clinic thinks your donor is tapped out already.” Not sure exactly how you got that perception, but the donor supply was not exhausted.  In general, we do not consider it possible to take all the donor hair in one session in a virgin scalp case such as this.

Since the Dr. didn't stop by at the end of the procedure (I think this is something they should change as it just doesn't feel ideal that the Dr. doesn't check on it at the end)Understandable. In some cases, Dr. Hasson will stop by at various stages and the patient may be sleeping and he does not want to disturb them.  There can be 3 technician shift changes in a 12 plus hour day and Dr. Hasson can’t be in the OR for all of that period of time of course. However, he can monitor the entire procedure at any time via camera and he can see and hear everything. If he is unable to be present for the final part of the procedure when the patient is finished, the technicians will send him high-definition photos of the result and he then looks to makes sure everything is perfect before he allows the patient to leave. If he sees something that needs his attention, he is minutes away.  

They still did more temple work than I expected and harvested more hair than I think they intended to (seems they simply decided to put that extra hair to use doing a bit more temple work)In your case we did not harvest more than intended. When Dr. Hasson designs the hairline and temples, the line he draws is basically how the framing will look and the larger grafts will go close or up to the line. The softening of the hairline and temples comes with the incisions for the single hairs. These incisions will in many cases extent slightly over the line. In the case of temples, singles hairs are placed in front of the line to soften the transition. Therefore, the peak or point may appear to be more pronounced when the skin is red. Temples are technically difficult but necessary in many cases to create the proper framing and balance. While you can get a good sense of what things will look like immediately post-op, it is not always a good indication of what the final result will reveal.

I still feel they did more temple work than needed on day 2 because of the overharvest. This resulted in a more aggressive temple line than was desirable—they pulled the temples a bit further forward than I'd have liked & what was originally designed. This aggressive temple line is unbalanced relative to the hairline which was kept pretty high/conservative. Again, no over harvest. In my opinion the balance is correct, and I think in the end you will like it. As stated, the “pulling forward” was a product of the transition with single hair grafts that is necessary to make the temples look as natural as possible.

In reference to the donor area shot posted March 30 – I often ask for more detailed photos to present the doctor when a patient fills out the online consultation form. If a patient had sent me the photo you posted on March 30 of your donor hair, I would not have considered it was a post-op shot and I would have assumed the patient had no prior procedure let alone a procedure less than two weeks prior. I’ve seen plenty of overharvested areas in photos patients sent me and in person who had previous work at other clinics. This is a beautiful uniform harvest executed perfectly in my opinion. That photo says it all.

On that note, are any H&W reps active here and able to answer whether H&W fixes these issues free of charge like some other top docs do? This will likely be a valuable question to have answered here for prospective clients...We do and always have guaranteed our work. We stand behind our work. My patients are always welcome to reach out to me with any concerns or questions at any time during the process pre and post-op. I have emailed Nordstrr34 offering to set up a call. I would like to go over his concerns and help in any way I can to reassure him. In the end if he is not happy, we will make it right.   

Honestly, without seeming to be negative, I really don't understand why they shaped the temples like that. Seems very unnatural to me. I think the temples are going to turn out great. If there is something about the final result Nordster34 doesn’t like, Dr. Hasson can tweak the design to his liking as long as Dr. Hasson feels it will look natural. Even if it is not the design Dr. Hasson feels will bring out a patient’s facial features and make him look the most appealing, there are other options as far as placement and design that would still look natural.

TBH, I wouldn't have been at all upset if the Dr. said to me during the procedure "Look, we've filled in your temples per the plan and it looks like we have ~500-800 extra grafts. Let's discuss where you want them." I was more than happy to pay for all the grafts, after all, and I have. Instead, when Dr. Hasson finished the temple incisions to the plan, he sort of hesitated and stepped away from the chair for a bit and then came back and started going all around the temple edges and enlarging them. It was pretty obvious he was struggling to figure out where to put all the extra hairs. What you may have perceived as him struggling to place extra hair was actually part of his preferred process. Dr. Hasson likes to go back in at the later stages of the process and fine tune the work by scanning the recipient area and adding additional grafts where appropriate to create the necessary and most uniform density. I think the 12 day post-op shot looks very good. Personally, if it was me, I would not have liked to have the 500-800 less grafts. Actually, if Dr. Hasson would have had more grafts to work with and all the factors were favorable,  I believe he would have liked to use even a few more.

Very disappointing to hear the lack of service as well as lack of accountability by H&W here.  They should stand by their name and bear any cost of repair, assuming you would trust them again. As stated, we do and always have guaranteed our work. Repair? Not sure how to respond to that so I won’t 😊

Dr Hasson deserves a chance to make good here before questioning his accountability? Nordster34 hasn’t yet reached out to Dr Hasson.  Agree.

I’d love advice from the community here as to the best way to reach back out to Dr. Hasson. Respond to my email if you like and I can assist as mentioned.

So I guess my questions are whether I should be reaching out now to Dr. Hasson, waiting until month 12 to reach out, or even reaching out to some other docs now as a plan b…? You can reach out to other top doctors if you like, I’d be curious to hear what they say about this work. On one hand they may be very concerned that if you didn’t like this work that they could make it better. Some doctors, but likley not the top ethical doctors might also like to put in a few grafts and then claim this result as theirs.  While unethical and very deceiving in my opinion, it could be great for their business. It wouldn’t be the first time another doctor claimed our work to be theirs. In my opinion you just need to be more patient.

I don't think it's fair to the doctor or to the accuracy of the review to draw any premature conclusions. If a close friend or relative called me tomorrow and asked for my recommendation, to be completely honest I would not in good conscience be able to recommend Dr. Hasson at this time.I agree I think it is unfair, you should always wait to draw your conclusions until after the final result

Do folks think I should reach out to Dr. Hasson and request a follow up appointment (perhaps over zoom)? Does anyone else here have experience with H&W follow-ups? – Again, if you feel the need to speak with Dr. Hasson, I am happy to help arrange that.

Agreed. I'm a huge fan of their work, but this seems unethical.  – As presented here initially, it may have seemed unethical but after hearing our explanations, I think it is clear nothing here is unethical.  

Sorry for the double post. Are some people on here bought and paid for by H&W? Defending them after receiving all this info is utterly mind-blowing. We have never paid people to post. See below

H&W have a great rep, but you have to be able to look at facts and adjust your opinions. Agree . However, a fact is a thing that is known or proved to be true. Just because someone says something does not make it a fact. I too can be emotional and prematurely jump to conclusions. I try to be fair and balanced and gather information from both sides before I draw my conclusions.   

I feel that most of the surgeons on hair restoration network could have given you a better experience with a much lower price.It is unfortunate Nordster34 did not have the experience he or we would have liked. There may be times when for whatever reason we may not live up to certain expectations even if we still deliver the result.  I believe we do a great job of trying to make the experience a good one and that is reflected in most of the comments I receive.  Perhaps another surgeon could have given you a better experience at a lower price but in my opinion not a better result.

Main thing I ask the clinic is to please respect my privacy here 100%. I am extremely careful about privacy so please, H&W, don’t post any pics or info that could identify me today or in the future (facial recognition software is only getting better, so please crop very aggressively). We will never intentionally reveal your identity or post any photos that might without your permission. I’m not sure we need to post anything here but if we do, I will make sure there is a proper block.

It is important to us how our patients feel about the whole experience, and we are not happy if the patient isn’t. In the end the result will speak for itself and hopefully change the perception.

Nordstrr34

We expect in the end you will be happy as the full result grows in. From what we can see at this stage, it looks like it will turn out very good. I will look forward to hearing from you if you desire and updates on how everything is taking shape.

A post like yours has a lot of value in that it chronicles the patient’s own experience including the feelings of doubt and anxiety.  Continued updates as your result progresses will provide value to those forum members and help in their journey to achieve their hair restoration goals.

This thread is probably the most unbiased "dissapointed" thread I have read. The OP definitely seems like a high functioning level headed person. The representative points are all valid, and we all ready know Dr Hasson is well regarded with respect to his skill. 

I have a question for you though Rep. Tell me if you have ever had surgery/ procedures? Would you ever be ok with your doc getting a photo of the finished surgery and watching it from home or office and just giving an A-Ok based on a high resolution photo? Why dilute the honor of medical profession like that, and if you are going to do it at least let your patients know that the surgeon is sitting in his office and monitoring your surgery but wont be doing most of it. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
2 hours ago, stephcurry30 said:

I had H&W on my shortlist of candidates for locations for hair transplant but upon this information I'll go with other clinics that have doctors at all times during the surgery. that 1 on 1 is very important IMO and is a reason why so many "top" clinics have some sub par results unlike clinics that strictly have the doctor do everything. 

It's funny how and a bit hypocritical how we do not recommend many clinics in turkey because it's a hair mill and the technicians do all the work rather then the doctor and then here in the states some clinics are following suit.

How can you compare the track record of H&W to hair mills, this is absolutely asinine. Dr. Hasson has gone on record SEVERAL times and said he would put his FUE technician against any surgeon in the world for extractions.

H&W have always done 2 patients per day, since their FUT days. Very few clinics have the capacity and team to be able to do huge megasessions like H&W. They have been doing this since the 2000s and getting excellent results. There’s a handful of clinics that have been at the top for so many years. 

Having a doctor do everything doesn’t guarantee anything. Modern hair transplant surgery is a team effort. What matters is the consistency of the clinic. You can not compare fly-by-night technicians to the techs who’ve been with H&W for decades. Again, consistency and track record is what matters.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

How can you compare the track record of H&W to hair mills, this is absolutely asinine. Dr. Hasson has gone on record SEVERAL times and said he would put his FUE technician against any surgeon in the world for extractions.

H&W have always done 2 patients per day, since their FUT days. Very few clinics have the capacity and team to be able to do huge megasessions like H&W. They have been doing this since the 2000s and getting excellent results. There’s a handful of clinics that have been at the top for so many years. 

Having a doctor do everything doesn’t guarantee anything. Modern hair transplant surgery is a team effort. What matters is the consistency of the clinic. You can not compare fly-by-night technicians to the techs who’ve been with H&W for decades. Again, consistency and track record is what matters.

Wow Cheers! I guess I was uninformed. But to hear that the surgeon would only check in via video and photo is alarming. I would never ever want that as a patient. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shiba1985 said:

This thread is probably the most unbiased "dissapointed" thread I have read. The OP definitely seems like a high functioning level headed person. The representative points are all valid, and we all ready know Dr Hasson is well regarded with respect to his skill. 

I have a question for you though Rep. Tell me if you have ever had surgery/ procedures? Would you ever be ok with your doc getting a photo of the finished surgery and watching it from home or office and just giving an A-Ok based on a high resolution photo? Why dilute the honor of medical profession like that, and if you are going to do it at least let your patients know that the surgeon is sitting in his office and monitoring your surgery but wont be doing most of it. 

Completely agree on the 2nd point. Also to add on to this why would the surgeon only want to see the "end" result of the surgery? After all the grafts are extracted and implanted? What if they are wrongfully implanted at the end of a long 12 hour day? Surgeon should be in the operating room at all times to check and make sure the angles/alignment/extractions/implementation is all correct. Have the surgeon only motor the surgery throughout the day with a video camera and then only seeing the end result with a picture is alarming and just un professional IMO. I'm paying top notch quality for the surgeon to perform the surgery who has years of experience. And if in the rare chance there is an issue with my transplant or grafts i'd prefer to have a surgeon who has a decade of studies/residency/fellowship to overcome/solve the issue rather then just the technicians. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, stephcurry30 said:

Wow Cheers! I guess I was uninformed. But to hear that the surgeon would only check in via video and photo is alarming. I would never ever want that as a patient. 

I don’t see any issue with this either, high-def close up photos are as good, or even better than human eyes. I’ve seen things on high-def photos that I’ve never seen looking in the mirror.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

2 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I don’t see any issue with this either, high-def close up photos are as good, or even better than human eyes. I’ve seen things on high-def photos that I’ve never seen looking in the mirror.

Think I would have to disagree with this solely for the reason that some of the top docs want to do an in-person consult b/c they claim that pics/video/face time cannot show enough to ascertain a full assessment.

I am exhibit A as Dr. Bisanga will only consider taking on my case with an in-person consult.

• Like 1

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Calihome1 said:

Think I would have to disagree with this solely for the reason that some of the top docs want to do an in-person consult b/c they claim that pics/video/face time cannot show enough to ascertain a full assessment.

I am exhibit A as Dr. Bisanga will only consider taking on my case with an in-person consult.

The difference is the donor needs to be examined at the microscopic level for miniaturization. Assessing someone for a hair transplant is different than reviewing graft placement. 

In the end, I hope Nordster34 gets a great result and I want to thank him for creating such a thorough and well thought out thread. No doubt this will help many patients.

View my thread

4 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

The difference is the donor needs to be examined at the microscopic level for miniaturization. Assessing someone for a hair transplant is different than reviewing graft placement. 

Hmmm, makes sense.  Guess I'll punt on this then, definitely not as informed as you and a lot of other seasoned guys on here.

stephcurry30, Kent, HappyMan2021, 

Thank you for your comments.

shiba1985

You can call me Doug if you like. I would think an unbiased thread would be good. It was quite biased to begin with I’d say.

Yes, I have had hair restoration procedures at Hasson and Wong. I personally would be ok with Dr. Hasson getting a photo of the finished surgery and watching it from home or office and just giving an A-Ok based on a high resolution photo. Why? Because I know he, his team and his results are world class. I’m not going to speculate on how he should go about getting the best result. I trust his process, that is why I would have picked him to begin with. I can see why some would like a more involved approach from the doctor but what I care about is my result. But in fairness, I saw it every day, I had the utmost confidence I was in good hands from the doctor down to the janitor. As we discussed others may have some anxiety and doubt.

I don’t feel I’m diluting the honor of the medical profession at all.  I would say some of the results I’ve seen we needed to repair diluted the honor of the medical profession though. Unfortunately, those doctors should have never been allowed to perform a hair transplant on a patient.

You're assuming I don't tell the patient exactly what the doctor will do? If asked I explain in detail who does what and how much the doctor is involved. As earlier stated, we try to be as transparent as possible.

If Dr. Hasson was to decide he needed to spend more time in the OR doing tasks better suited for other specialists, his results would suffer. Why would he want to do that to his patients and his reputation?  That also does not allow him to spend as much time to attend to his other tens of thousands of patients. Then you’re talking about less after care. What about seeing patients in the office for initial, pre-op and post-op consultations during the day? Nope. Forget about a call with Nordstrr34. Dr. Hasson didn’t just wake up one day and say I’d like to spend less time in the OR. He has developed and refined his process over 20 plus years and over 10,000 procedures. There must be a cohesive and well thought out balance between potential, present and past patients. The doctor must allocate his time appropriately to all phases to be able to best serve the patient.  The busier and more successful the doctor, the more demands on his time.  Maximum hours spent in the OR is not sustainable. While it may not seem to be, to dense pack a frontal zone is physically taxing. The eye strain and fatigue is more than you might imagine. What about shoulder, arm and wrist strain? There must be some time away from the OR to recover and be able to deliver the same great results to the next patient.  Doctors who are not dense packing and doing 3,000 plus incisions in a day times 2 mind you, will not have the same fatigue factor. They may be able to justify a little more time in the OR depending on their process, but I wouldn’t in general necessarily expect the same result as Dr. Hasson.

Perhaps Hasson and Wong is not for everyone. Everyone has different goals and different things that they need to feel comfortable. Most of the patients I talk with put the result as their number one priority. Many have told me they don’t care how we do it, they just know we do and that is the result they want. And in many cases, they had the doctor who they thought was great and spent a lot of time in the OR with his 2 other assistants but the result was not what they had hoped for, hence the call to Hasson and Wong. Others may want a more involved approach by the doctor and that is fine too if they are willing to accept the limitations placed on an individual that does not have a large, talented, dedicated and experienced team to assist them.  

Melvin, funny you say: I don’t see any issue with this either, high-def close up photos are as good, or even better than human eyes. I’ve seen things on high-def photos that I’ve never seen looking in the mirror.

Dr. Hasson was commenting on how well he can see the grafts in a high def photo when he can zoom right in on the work.

In the end, doctors are going to have different approaches and different processes and different results. You need to do your due diligence and pick the doctor you think is right for you. Don’t focus too much on the how but focus on the result. Can that doctor deliver? If so, who cares exactly how he or she did it?

Speaking of demand on time, I too have demands. While I would like to spend more time on the forums, I have many other patients and tasks to attend to. I have to allocate my time for my “operation” appropriately also. I will try and check in here and respond but if I spend too much time here, my other tasks and patients will suffer as well…. 😊

Edited by H & W Doug
additional text
  • Like 4

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

Personally, I think the mindset Nordster had throughout this process is one that should be used as reference. Its a great way to show what roller coaster of emotions you can go through and once you separate all those feelings see your next steps. Whether they are positive or negative this man went through a lot between picking the best choices at his disposal and reaching an outcome he was disappointed with. Not everything is perfect but you have made yourself aware of what is present and taken the steps necessary.

I hope you can put all the undue pressures behind you and get the best results and hope that H&W stick to honoring any deficiencies described by their patient and continue to make people happy with their results. Thank you for sharing and sorry you had to experience some of the negative emotions. I hope you get the best results you can yield and that it helps to put all this past you.

Edited by Vann

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

2 hours ago, Calihome1 said:

So true. I've had multiple multiple surgeons request that they wouldn't accept online consultations and in person only. 

38 minutes ago, stephcurry30 said:

So true. I've had multiple multiple surgeons request that they wouldn't accept online consultations and in person only. 

unless someone is a repair patient I think this is a tad bit ridiculous tbh. 

Not everyone has the luxury of flying across states or internationally just for a consult. There is likely a months long waitlist just for in-person consults to boot. 

I was a "minor" repair patient (in the grand scheme of botched HT's) and know first hand how difficult it was bc so many docs required in person consults. 

To me, these in person only consults make the doctors seem out of touch with the realities and lifestyles of most patients. 

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

On 3/18/2022 at 8:42 PM, Nordster34 said:
  1. Patients per day: How many patients does Dr. Hasson see per day? 
    • I called the office three weeks prior to the surgery to ask questions, and I took notes on the answers. I specifically asked "will he have multiple patients per day?" The quoted answer from his team member was "he only does one patient per day." As it turns out, each of Dr. Hasson and Dr. Wong typically have two patients per day (four patients in the office total). Dr. Hasson and Dr. Wong have two separate teams of staff, who mostly don't overlap and are specially trained to work with their respective Dr. 
    • During the procedure, I asked if the Dr. typically has one primary session each day and perhaps one smaller session that day (totaling two sessions, sort of like how my day 2 was much smaller & fewer grafts), and the team informed me that this is not the case and it simply depends on the day. Some days both doctors have two 3,000+ graft sessions going simultaneously (4 total).
    •  

One thing that hasn't been resolved is the false information given to @Nordster34

Also, @H & W Doug , if Dr Hassan does see an issue and he's at home, what is the process of fixing the issue? Does he drive all the back, or give some sort of instruction to the staff?

5 hours ago, H & W Doug said:

stephcurry30, Kent, HappyMan2021, 

Thank you for your comments.

shiba1985

You can call me Doug if you like. I would think an unbiased thread would be good. It was quite biased to begin with I’d say.

Yes, I have had hair restoration procedures at Hasson and Wong. I personally would be ok with Dr. Hasson getting a photo of the finished surgery and watching it from home or office and just giving an A-Ok based on a high resolution photo. Why? Because I know he, his team and his results are world class. I’m not going to speculate on how he should go about getting the best result. I trust his process, that is why I would have picked him to begin with. I can see why some would like a more involved approach from the doctor but what I care about is my result. But in fairness, I saw it every day, I had the utmost confidence I was in good hands from the doctor down to the janitor. As we discussed others may have some anxiety and doubt.

I don’t feel I’m diluting the honor of the medical profession at all.  I would say some of the results I’ve seen we needed to repair diluted the honor of the medical profession though. Unfortunately, those doctors should have never been allowed to perform a hair transplant on a patient.

You're assuming I don't tell the patient exactly what the doctor will do? If asked I explain in detail who does what and how much the doctor is involved. As earlier stated, we try to be as transparent as possible.

If Dr. Hasson was to decide he needed to spend more time in the OR doing tasks better suited for other specialists, his results would suffer. Why would he want to do that to his patients and his reputation?  That also does not allow him to spend as much time to attend to his other tens of thousands of patients. Then you’re talking about less after care. What about seeing patients in the office for initial, pre-op and post-op consultations during the day? Nope. Forget about a call with Nordstrr34. Dr. Hasson didn’t just wake up one day and say I’d like to spend less time in the OR. He has developed and refined his process over 20 plus years and over 10,000 procedures. There must be a cohesive and well thought out balance between potential, present and past patients. The doctor must allocate his time appropriately to all phases to be able to best serve the patient.  The busier and more successful the doctor, the more demands on his time.  Maximum hours spent in the OR is not sustainable. While it may not seem to be, to dense pack a frontal zone is physically taxing. The eye strain and fatigue is more than you might imagine. What about shoulder, arm and wrist strain? There must be some time away from the OR to recover and be able to deliver the same great results to the next patient.  Doctors who are not dense packing and doing 3,000 plus incisions in a day times 2 mind you, will not have the same fatigue factor. They may be able to justify a little more time in the OR depending on their process, but I wouldn’t in general necessarily expect the same result as Dr. Hasson.

Perhaps Hasson and Wong is not for everyone. Everyone has different goals and different things that they need to feel comfortable. Most of the patients I talk with put the result as their number one priority. Many have told me they don’t care how we do it, they just know we do and that is the result they want. And in many cases, they had the doctor who they thought was great and spent a lot of time in the OR with his 2 other assistants but the result was not what they had hoped for, hence the call to Hasson and Wong. Others may want a more involved approach by the doctor and that is fine too if they are willing to accept the limitations placed on an individual that does not have a large, talented, dedicated and experienced team to assist them.  

Melvin, funny you say: I don’t see any issue with this either, high-def close up photos are as good, or even better than human eyes. I’ve seen things on high-def photos that I’ve never seen looking in the mirror.

Dr. Hasson was commenting on how well he can see the grafts in a high def photo when he can zoom right in on the work.

In the end, doctors are going to have different approaches and different processes and different results. You need to do your due diligence and pick the doctor you think is right for you. Don’t focus too much on the how but focus on the result. Can that doctor deliver? If so, who cares exactly how he or she did it?

Speaking of demand on time, I too have demands. While I would like to spend more time on the forums, I have many other patients and tasks to attend to. I have to allocate my time for my “operation” appropriately also. I will try and check in here and respond but if I spend too much time here, my other tasks and patients will suffer as well…. 😊

Doug,

I had a response typed up, but to be honest, it matters not to me how Dr Hasson runs his practice. I will defend the poster however saying nothing he posted was biased. In fact to me his results look great but this discussion is not about the results. What he experienced should not be something any patient should experience after any surgical procedure – cosmetic, or non cosmetic. It is still a surgical procedure requiring sedation and cutting of organ (skin is an organ). I understand when one has been doing it for 30+ years, it is easy to start taking it casually but that is when mistakes, near misses and adverse events occur.

Lastly, you surely can’t compare your experience getting surgery at a place where you work to a patient coming in for the surgery. You know the team, you have been with them for (I am guessing) a large amount of years. You know the ins and outs, and there is a reason why you trust them. A better comparison would be imagine your family member going in for a comsetic surgery (at a clinic with who they do not have an association) and waking up without a doctor in sight. Only assurances that everything went ok. Can you honestly with a straight face tell me you would be cool with that? IF your answer is yes, then either you take surgeries too casually or you are lying.

And I get it we are all busy...I am sure the guy that dropped 30 grand on a hair transplant has a busy demanding life...

Edited by shiba1985
  • Like 1

This is turned a bit over the top tbh, looking at his four months looks like the results going to be good and that’s all that matters really , i wouldn’t give a dam if my surgeon called me names and punched me in the face lol, as long as he gives me a good result . Not sure what the qualms are about the post op follow up so can’t comment on that ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

This is turned a bit over the top tbh, looking at his four months looks like the results going to be good and that’s all that matters really , i wouldn’t give a dam if my surgeon called me names and punched me in the face lol, as long as he gives me a good result . Not sure what the qualms are about the post op follow up so can’t comment on that ?

The thing is your last sentence says it all. To you it’s all about the result. Disregarding the fact that your doctor “punches your in the face” is very surprising … to most people.

the whole process pre/post op is very important for many people who are new an inexperienced to hair restoration. Yet alone any surgery, take for example people who are scared of even taking finasteride but immediately seek surgery to fix it. That whole medication process is still relevant to the surgery so why not take note of how it makes you feel along the way.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Vann said:

The thing is your last sentence says it all. To you it’s all about the result. Disregarding the fact that your doctor “punches your in the face” is very surprising … to most people.

the whole process pre/post op is very important for many people who are new an inexperienced to hair restoration. Yet alone any surgery, take for example people who are scared of even taking finasteride but immediately seek surgery to fix it. That whole medication process is still relevant to the surgery so why not take note of how it makes you feel along the way.

Your last sentence didn’t make any sense to me tbh, the result is the overriding thing that matters, infact it the only thing that matters . I looked at the thread and tbh the only problem I see was that the temples didn’t look right initially and there was no follow up , but the result  is now looking great and I’m sure all of this will be forgotten . The representative has stated they should of reached out more to pacify the patients concerns. Beside that don’t see what else  is the problem now 

Edited by sukh123
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

Your last sentence didn’t make any sense to me tbh, the result is the overriding thing that matters, infact it the only thing that matters . I looked at the thread and tbh the only problem I see was that the temples didn’t look right initially and there was no follow up , but the result  is now looking great and I’m sure all of this will be forgotten . The representative has stated they should of reached out more to pacify the patients concerns. Beside that don’t see what else  is the problem now 

That’s exactly my point. That mindset where the results are final are only if you have a successful hair transplant that you can put all that behind you. Whether you think your subjective opinion is the right answer to how the OP should feel isn’t what matters. It’s the care they are getting with the idea that they would have their post care questions addressed. 

10 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

Doug,

I had a response typed up, but to be honest, it matters not to me how Dr Hasson runs his practice. I will defend the poster however saying nothing he posted was biased. In fact to me his results look great but this discussion is not about the results. What he experienced should not be something any patient should experience after any surgical procedure – cosmetic, or non cosmetic. It is still a surgical procedure requiring sedation and cutting of organ (skin is an organ). I understand when one has been doing it for 30+ years, it is easy to start taking it casually but that is when mistakes, near misses and adverse events occur.

Lastly, you surely can’t compare your experience getting surgery at a place where you work to a patient coming in for the surgery. You know the team, you have been with them for (I am guessing) a large amount of years. You know the ins and outs, and there is a reason why you trust them. A better comparison would be imagine your family member going in for a comsetic surgery (at a clinic with who they do not have an association) and waking up without a doctor in sight. Only assurances that everything went ok. Can you honestly with a straight face tell me you would be cool with that? IF your answer is yes, then either you take surgeries too casually or you are lying.

And I get it we are all busy...I am sure the guy that dropped 30 grand on a hair transplant has a busy demanding life...

I didn’t care that Hasson wasn’t present at the end of my procedure. Doug already explained Hasson is always monitoring (even if you’re not aware of it). I’m not sure why the doctor has to be physically present 100% of the time. I understand it may make some patients feel better but what’s the clinical evidence it results in better outcomes?

8 minutes ago, Kent said:

I didn’t care that Hasson wasn’t present at the end of my procedure. Doug already explained Hasson is always monitoring (even if you’re not aware of it). I’m not sure why the doctor has to be physically present 100% of the time. I understand it may make some patients feel better but what’s the clinical evidence it results in better outcomes?

In my opinion it is still surgery regardless of how often they perform that said surgery. Any risk of complications may occur, I personally would want every resource available to help me if said problem does occur. Especially, the one with the most practice.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kent said:

No one saying 100% of the time. All though in my opinion a surgeon should be in the OR majority of time. 
Organ transplant surgeries (liver, etc.) sometimes last 12+ hours, and doctors do take breaks during those surgeries too. 

But you dont feel a surgeon should visit with you at the end of surgery and debrief? You dont think they should be in the vicinity if anything happens medication side effect wise? such as pharmacological toxicity? Or you think its ok monitoring from home?

i suppose i see it differently. 

• Like 1