Implanting Grafts in Rows

Thanks Melvin. 

For anyone who missed it, I highlighted this hairline on one of the clinic posted results from De Freitas today, as an example as to what myself and @Gasthoerer had previously mentioned on this topic, with regards to some of the cases presented by De Freitas exposing flaws in the patients hairlines, which aren’t natural looking. 

For newbies or others who aren’t quite as tuned in, if you zoom into this area, and study male hairlines in nature, you will see that this particular result has a mixture of multi’s and coarser hair too close to the frontal line, which leaves a slightly pluggy appearance - no where near the old school ‘plug’ look of yesteryear , however, certainly requiring a softening. 

And just to appease the diplomats, I don’t think either of us were knocking De Freitas as being a poor surgeon, more so , critiquing claims that he was number one in the world for hairlines - in which in my personal opinion, there are other surgeons who achieve more aesthetic hairline results. 

On the whole, his yield is seemingly good, and I enjoy watching the transformations his clinic presents. 

I’m also a huge fan of the work he did on @BjornBorg and think his results are fantastic. 

Perhaps it’s down to individuals hair characteristics, and we all know coarser hair provides a more difficult time for a surgeon when restoring a hairline - however it can be done, and this is where taking time on selective graft extractions proves to be the difference between good, and elite.

I believe Dr Sethi is a big advocate of this, and places heavy emphasis on the need to be selective for the very frontal hairs and temple points.  

D409EFE1-B857-4182-B5B3-5598F3157CDB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I do not understand why this topic becomes such a "mudfight" suddenly.  This issue has been highlighted/discussed several times and many longtime posters have commented on it.

For me it is obvious that Freitas (and even more Diep) use less micro irregularities in the hairline than the other top clinics. For some this is obviously not a concern (or not visible). For me (and others) it is. This is why both clinics are not in my "recommended" or "Top Ten" list of clinics (I refer to the threads when people ask for personal ratings). Other disagree and see them as a top 5 clinic for hairlines, which is fine for me, as some of the results in here are simply stunning. 

Another unrelated example: Hattingen is a top notch clinic and I was one of the first to mention them in here. However, for lower NW their hairline (macro) design is a little to conservative/round for my (!) personal preference. Still they are one of the world best clinics (especially for higher NW). 

• Administrators

Appearance and aesthetics are subjective. We all have different preferences, which is fine. But opinions or judgements aren’t law. In my opinion, De Freitas is top 3 in Europe hands down. But of course, this is just my opinion. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Curious25 said:

Thanks Melvin. 

For anyone who missed it, I highlighted this hairline on one of the clinic posted results from De Freitas today, as an example as to what myself and @Gasthoerer had previously mentioned on this topic, with regards to some of the cases presented by De Freitas exposing flaws in the patients hairlines, which aren’t natural looking. 

For newbies or others who aren’t quite as tuned in, if you zoom into this area, and study male hairlines in nature, you will see that this particular result has a mixture of multi’s and coarser hair too close to the frontal line, which leaves a slightly pluggy appearance - no where near the old school ‘plug’ look of yesteryear , however, certainly requiring a softening. 

And just to appease the diplomats, I don’t think either of us were knocking De Freitas as being a poor surgeon, more so , critiquing claims that he was number one in the world for hairlines - in which in my personal opinion, there are other surgeons who achieve more aesthetic hairline results. 

On the whole, his yield is seemingly good, and I enjoy watching the transformations his clinic presents. 

I’m also a huge fan of the work he did on @BjornBorg and think his results are fantastic. 

Perhaps it’s down to individuals hair characteristics, and we all know coarser hair provides a more difficult time for a surgeon when restoring a hairline - however it can be done, and this is where taking time on selective graft extractions proves to be the difference between good, and elite.

I believe Dr Sethi is a big advocate of this, and places heavy emphasis on the need to be selective for the very frontal hairs and temple points.  

D409EFE1-B857-4182-B5B3-5598F3157CDB.jpeg

You are correct, it does look pluggy.
I also disagree with the statement that coarse hair is difficult for soft hairline.  

All you have to do is take hairs from nape region or around the ears.  Everybody has softer, less pigmented and smaller diameter hairs on their scalp. It is all up to the Dr's experience and artistry to achieve this. 

While the photo above is a wonderful full head of hair to 99% of people, that hairline could of been much better 😀

6 minutes ago, Ryan Daniel said:

You are correct, it does look pluggy.
I also disagree with the statement that coarse hair is difficult for soft hairline.  

All you have to do is take hairs from nape region or around the ears.  Everybody has softer, less pigmented and smaller diameter hairs on their scalp. It is all up to the Dr's experience and artistry to achieve this. 

While the photo above is a wonderful full head of hair to 99% of people, that hairline could of been much better 😀

Thanks - I know I am 😉 

And most of the seasoned posters on here will also agree.

No vendetta or bad blood at all, I just feel for educational purposes . . it’s important to highlight these types of things to look out for, and it ultimately being in the best interest of prospective HT candidates who are just starting their research journey. 

It’s taken me years and years of being on these boards to understand hair transplant aesthetics, and a lot of what I’ve learned has been from experienced members. 

It’s a shame politics inevitably have to be at play, however with the business model that this forum is based upon, they can’t not, and without that, we wouldn’t have this great platform  - but at least other members still have freedom of speech to highlight such ‘issues’ for lack of a better word, and people can make up their own mind and take what they want from it. 

Aesthetics are always going to be subjective, yes. 

But show that highlighted area of the hairline to any renown hairline artist, and they will critique it in an equal manner to what has already been said on this thread - so that should be the takeaway message for anyone in the midst of their research. 

On 1/10/2022 at 10:19 PM, PizzaWolf said:

@Melvin- Moderator Do you feel that DeFrietas' style of implantation could hold up to a 9-10mm buzz? Is that an unfair expectation after a HT surgery?

I see what you mean (and others have observed) that De Freitas implants in rows. But I want to point out that he is implanting in horizontal rows, but not vertical columns. This is a important. De Freitas uses a wavy hairline (which I didn't think I liked at first, but now I love it), and in conjunction with some random singles, create a natural appearance. It doesn't result in a "grid-like" pattern, like the one example from Diep, which honestly shocks me. It certainly created a pluggy, unnaturally straight appearance.

I still feel De Freitas is producing some of the best hairlines, anywhere at any price.

If I get a third transplant, I'll likely stay in the US and probably go to Mwamba. But if I get the chance to go overseas, it will be with De Freitas. 😛

1.jpg.571fc5847c3ee0dcaf1632b900996fb9.jpg

Edited by MachoVato
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MachoVato said:

I see what you mean (and others have observed) that De Freitas implants in rows. But I want to point out that he is implanting in horizontal rows, but not vertical columns. This is a important. De Freitas uses a wavy hairline (which I didn't think I liked at first, but now I love it), and in conjunction with some random singles, create a natural appearance. It doesn't result in a "grid-like" pattern, like the one example from Diep, which honestly shocks me. It certainly created a pluggy, unnaturally straight appearance.

I still feel De Freitas is producing some of the best hairlines, anywhere at any price.

1.jpg.571fc5847c3ee0dcaf1632b900996fb9.jpg

This.

The problem is when you do vertical rows everywhere, like Diep. 

De Freitas does horizontal rows for the first rows, I assume because of density being crucial in the very front, then its random behind. Maybe this is why his hairlines looks pretty much the best.

Just read all of the above about Dr.De Freitas, checked out his web page, and being a newbie in the middle of narrowing down my choices of Surgeon and Clinic, where would you put this Doctor in regards to quality, cost, and accessibility?

Have many on this forum used him, and for cost, how does he rate to say the Turkish clinics?

The photos of some of them are a little too perfect, but yet it starts to get me salivating a little!

I have some time in travelling in Europe and am leaning towards that region, yet i cannot go past Eugenix at the minute.

Has there been a comparison done between these 2 already, or are they totally different?

Thank you.

Andy.