Took the first step

So today I filled in the form and sent off pics and got my price along with graft recommendations. I’ve chose to go with Dr Arshad here in the uk. I’ve yet to have my proper consultation but based on pics I sent he has initially recommended 1500 grafts. What do you guys think? Here’s my situation. 

3FB02291-D6FB-47D9-976F-E146BB2E8856.jpeg

88332ED3-02A2-40B5-A66C-0436551F5E81.jpeg

CF9B3AB6-77E1-4738-860E-61B39347B888.jpeg

1433F75E-EF59-4421-A70E-BDB8FD0A5AC8.jpeg

EC9A6817-F971-4952-9BE6-C82C49A37E65.jpeg

B56CBC8A-662E-4C38-8EE6-CAF38D1C4A4C.jpeg

0C645572-CC2B-4BF9-8021-B6F412B3BB28.jpeg

• Administrators

I’m gonna be honest, there’s no need for a hair transplant. The risk outweigh the rewards. 

• Like 11

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Honest opinion, you don’t need an HT your hair looks great, wait to see if you loose significantly but in the meantime you should give microneedling with a roller or pen & Minox a go for at least 4 months as you may be able to thicken up all those fine baby hairs in your hairline.

Appreciate the kind words. I’ll be honest I’m surprised as I didn’t expect this (I know it’s a great and positive community so not in that regard). I was feeling that my hairline and crown are thinned out enough to justify going down the HT route as I’ve continued to feel low/anxious about my hair enough to think right I need to do this to take back control of my life and start to feel better. But obviously I’m here to get advice and it concerns me when more than 1 person is agreeing it might not be the route to go? 

@johnAC71 great memory! Yeah I had a really hard time posting for the first time maybe like most. I did start min around August and have been regimented with it, honestly I’m not sure it’s done much. Maybe thickened up a little and been on fin 0.5mg since late 2019 and I’d agree I haven’t seen any “noticeable” further loss. 

You do have fantastic hair. It’s certainly a hairline i can only dream of. Pics don’t always show a true picture. You do have very minimal loss. And are on meds to reduce any chance of future loss. 
Certainly think hard if it’s worthwhile considering a transplant at this time. If I was in your shoes I wouldn’t purse it. Ultimately it’s up to you though, the community is a invaluable source. The comments above are great 👍🏽 

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

If u want to get HT .. then I suggest u get off the meds and let urself bald even further . Then u have space on ur head to spend a few thousand dollars  for the same results u currently have . 

This made me laugh haha

I’m 9 days post op with Dr Arshad. Quoted 2500 grafts front and crown, but that was based on video and pictures consultation. When I attended for my op, he said that another 500 would be needed to ensure density. My hair has always been pretty fine anyway, so I went with his expert opinion. Very happy with my results so far. Good luck with it. 

D1219674-8660-4B4C-A37A-22D75A35A55F.jpeg

I agree with several others here...you really look like you don't need any surgery and the risks outweigh the potential benefits.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Valued Contributor

I'm actually quite shocked that Dr Arshad has not only accepted you as a patient but has actually performed surgery on you! I totally get how you feel about your own hair. I didn't need a hair transplant but I was so consumed by my hairline that I had a hair transplant at 18!  However surgery is always the last resort. You sound like you have been doing really well on Finasteride also. All the best.

3 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I'm actually quite shocked that Dr Arshad has not only accepted you as a patient but has actually performed surgery on you! I totally get how you feel about your own hair. I didn't need a hair transplant but I was so consumed by my hairline that I had a hair transplant at 18!  However surgery is always the last resort. You sound like you have been doing really well on Finasteride also. All the best.

To be fair I’ve literally only filled the initial form and got an initial estimate. I’ve not had any interaction with him. I’m not sure it’s him that looks at the pics to make the initial estimates. Friday this week coming I have a call/consultation and I’ll relay the advice I’m getting here.

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor

Sorry Hugo. I saw the post of Marko and didn’t read the name and thought it was you. A hair transplant will never give you what you currently have. Which is mother nature’s hairline. Stay in the meds. All the best! 

Edited by Gatsby
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 5:58 PM, Marko7t4 said:

I’m 9 days post op with Dr Arshad. Quoted 2500 grafts front and crown, but that was based on video and pictures consultation. When I attended for my op, he said that another 500 would be needed to ensure density. My hair has always been pretty fine anyway, so I went with his expert opinion. Very happy with my results so far. Good luck with it. 

D1219674-8660-4B4C-A37A-22D75A35A55F.jpeg

I feel like four out of five threads on Dr Arshad explains that he thinks more grafts are needed on the day.

I'm guessing he's charging for these extra grafts too.

If so, it's starting to sound like a con. Makes you think you're spending X amount, then last minute you're paying thousands more because of an extra 500 grafts.

Is this common practice?

I've looked at a lot of threads with other doctors and can't recall seeing this happen, but it consistently happens with Dr Arshad.

1 hour ago, cg90 said:

I feel like four out of five threads on Dr Arshad explains that he thinks more grafts are needed on the day.

If so, it's starting to sound like a con. Makes you think you're spending X amount, then last minute you're paying thousands more because of an extra 500 grafts.

Is this common practice?

I've looked at a lot of threads with other doctors and can't recall seeing this happen, but it consistently happens with Dr Arshad.

I can’t say mate as I’ve not seen it on another thread. However, I would think that it’s also to do with less face to face initial consultations too. 

• Administrators
7 hours ago, cg90 said:

Is this common practice?

It is virtually impossible to know for sure how many graft you need unless you are in person. I went to a completely different doctor and on the day of the surgery he offered additional grafts at additional cost. In the end, it’s about your goals and what you want. If it’s being clearly explained to you before surgery, there’s nothing “con” about it. 

With the pandemic and most in person consultations canceled. Its been difficult to asses patients properly without seeing them first. Patients also have a tendency to show photos or pictures that don’t tell the true story. I’d rather a physician be honest and say “hey, you’re gonna need more grafts to reach your goal” than carry out the procedure knowing that my goals won’t be reached, now that would be unethical.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You have so many fine miniaturized hairs along your hairline that would be completely shocked out with surgery. There is a good chance you can reverse the hair loss and get them growing again if you get on the big 3 and add micro needling. Take a look at this thread.