Dr Mwamba (FUEClinic - Brussels, Belgium) 1200 BHT donor area repair job - there is hope for your decimated donor!

Your best bet is to take the @mustangapproach. Use your original head hairs in the donor area to transfer to the top, but replace them with BHT, especially if you keep your hair short. The density will never of course be the same as before and it does feel a little finer as it grows out (versus the full donor area before). But the BHT really does work great as a filler.

9 hours ago, Prof101 said:

Good thing is that I don't even notice density issues in your donor. But from your understanding why is density an issue with BHT, impossible to pack as close to each other as head hair? 

Going for BHT to donor or receipient area? 

You can pack them as close as you want but they don't have the same coverage value than head grafts with multiple hairs. All BHT are singles.

5 hours ago, mustang said:

You can pack them as close as you want but they don't have the same coverage value than head grafts with multiple hairs. All BHT are singles.

Have you tried to grow the donor area? does it grow dense and well?

Not long. No. But that's also part of why I went BHT to donor. I think that's its big purpose. It covers the bald spots that ARE detectable even when short, and replaces with an actual follicle, distinct from say a SMP mark. For those with short back and sides style, it is a great option as a filler. It may work grown out, I guess depends on your own donor area limitations.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 12:31 AM, Sam818 said:

The smp did a great job even before you put the chest hair back into the donor and it’s obviously even better now. I am going to do smp into my fue scars next month I hope it comes out as good as yours. I don’t have thick chest hair like you so it’s my only option. Dr. Mwamba is doing great work with these kinds of repairs.

Did you ever end up doing smp for your donor area? 

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I will post some photos soon. This second time repair has actually been a little slow growing in. Not sure what your experience was @mustang? I am nearly at the 5 month point and pretty good now. The right side is still a little off and need Toppik on the upper parts - well actually left side too - I have a low fade hair cut - but starting to improve now. Think I got pretty bad shock loss on the right side which has and still is taking a little long to recover.

Let's give it another month and I will post photos.

Overall though I am very thankful to Mwamba and his team, they did an insane job using BHT and now it's so much better. Can go out without being self-conscious.

I had bad shockloss the second time as well, took 4 months to recover fully but after that I forgot about my donor forever

I just don't think about it anymore as it looks totally homogenous 

I will however try to add more so I can have further surgery

Wow this looks incredible @gimpoli! You’d have no idea your donor was even touched based on these pics!

Would you consider another transplant if your top thins out in the future knowing you can “fit farm” an overharvested donor pretty well with Dr. Mwamba?

Hmmm.....

So if my top thins out? I think I will give up. I was never that bald to begin with. I had a stupid HT, paid the price for a bad job and Dr Mwamnba cleaned up. He really is a wizard. My body hair saved me. Now I look just pretty normal, fuller on top and slightly less at back and sides, but Mwamba made this a non issue with his wizardry!

On 6/8/2021 at 5:20 PM, gimpoli said:

Finally, the 4 month results, again with NO TOPPIK. Hopefully still not complete, but really excellent progress. The picture from the barber earlier on is probably better, as the sides (which were obviously the problem area) still have some distance to go.

I think the right side is slower to develop, and not sure if still shock loss. Both the upper sides are pretty thin though and greatly aided with Toppik to give an illusion of density.

I plan, as already mentioned, to go back to Mwamba's FUE clinic in August for another 1000 chest grafts or so to the sides, donor in general.

4-month-mwamba-1 – blurred.jpg

4-month-mwamba-2 – blurred.jpg

4-month-mwamba-3 – blurred.jpg

What a change!!! Donor is looking amazing now. And with those other 1000 chest grafts!!!

Cant wait to see the final result 🤗

• Administrators

@gimpoliwould love to see some updated pictures.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, will post some photos soon.

I am beyond 6 months now and the results are... EPIC. I did a couple weeks ago SMP for density, and I think that combined with my improving results from my BHT, can hardly tell I had a HTP on my donor now. I put only a tiny bit of Toppik in now, rest fixed itself. Pretty unbelievable, I am 100% happy now and won't go in for more treatments if it stays this way. Top of my head is as if I was never balding, the donor now is basically normalized too. Mwamba is the best and body hair really works...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, gimpoli said:

Hey guys, will post some photos soon.

I am beyond 6 months now and the results are... EPIC. I did a couple weeks ago SMP for density, and I think that combined with my improving results from my BHT, can hardly tell I had a HTP on my donor now. I put only a tiny bit of Toppik in now, rest fixed itself. Pretty unbelievable, I am 100% happy now and won't go in for more treatments if it stays this way. Top of my head is as if I was never balding, the donor now is basically normalized too. Mwamba is the best and body hair really works...

really happy for you man thank you for posting, this thread is going to help a lot of people out

On 6/8/2021 at 5:09 PM, gimpoli said:

Next is a quick one and illustration quite simply of the magic that is Mwamba.

The first is at about 4 months post 1200 grafts from chest. No toppik was used for this photo at the back. Look at that result!

The second picture was taken BEFORE Mwamba and even after the SMP and when the final results from the first procedure were more or less settled. Look at what a shit show that is. Reason to never get a HTP in the first place unless you can get a doc who has skills with donor management.

The third was taken also December 2020 and affirms how bad it was and how little flexibility you have with donor after.

after-mwamba-blurred.jpg

before-mwamba-barbers-blurred.jpg

cut-style-dec-2020-1-blurred.jpg

The first picture is CLEAN, dude I'm hairier than you and this is the first time I'm glad being more hairier than someone 😆

On 6/28/2021 at 7:39 AM, gimpoli said:

Nope, from what Mwamba says, it's the reverse. Grafts transplanted take on the characteristics of where they're going to, not their origins. Blood flow, etc.

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I’m looking into BHT restocking of the donor after a similar situation to yours being overharvested. 

Do you have to take any special medications to ensure the chest hair can survive on the scalp and reach a decent length and if so do you have to take it for life?

Thanks.

On 2/19/2022 at 7:27 AM, tressful11 said:

Are the scars visible if you shave your chest? I am considering this repair option for my decimated donor and visible scars is my biggest concern. Don't want small holes on my chest.

Nobody is going to look at ur chest bro. 99% of the time you have shirt on too. Anyway is small dots and difficult to see it without going 1 cm close i guess