Dr Mwamba (FUEClinic - Brussels, Belgium) 1200 BHT donor area repair job - there is hope for your decimated donor!

Right, so here goes, just getting to the editing. These were pre-op dry photos and actually looks better than I thought. He cleaned up the mess at the front which was badly done on the first surgery by a shite doctor if you read the original post.

edit-1.JPG

edit-2.JPG

edit-3.JPG

edit-4.JPG

edit-5.JPG

edit-7.JPG

edit-8.JPG

edit-6.JPG

• Like 2

And finally day 2.

That is all.

I go back for hopefully 1000 or so more chest grafts > donor in August and will keep everyone updated.

The left side of head seems to have grown better than right, not sure why. I am at 5 months now. More toppik needed right side.

day2-1.JPG

day2-2.JPG

day2-3.JPG

day2-4.JPG

day2-5.JPG

day2-6.JPG

day2-7.JPG

• Like 1

• Administrators

Very impressive, I think you’re making a great point for donor restocking. Although, this situation could’ve been avoided. Sorry to hear about that situation.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The smp did a great job even before you put the chest hair back into the donor and it’s obviously even better now. I am going to do smp into my fue scars next month I hope it comes out as good as yours. I don’t have thick chest hair like you so it’s my only option. Dr. Mwamba is doing great work with these kinds of repairs.

• Like 2

Yep he is. The change especially visible at the back of my head I think. Also should be noted that Mwamba moved nape hair > my crown and it really has improved it. Wizardry!

• Like 1

@gimpoli thank you for sharing this, I think it can help many. I have some questions for you

1. how does one sleep after a surgery like this? In a recliner sleeping upward? For how many days?

2. Was beard hair looked at as an option?

3. Do you have pictures of the chest extractions as they are now or is the hair too long?

Hey, and no problem.

1. Good point. The official line is to sleep face down. I for one can't do that! So I just slept in the orthodox position, face up and made sure not to move or rub. You just have to be statuesque. First night maybe a couple grafts came loose, but not many.

2. Yes it was, but doc deemed my chest to be a better option for me. Plus I have ginger in my beard mixed in with the black hair, so I'm not the best candidate.

3. Yep, attached a shot from today. I guess if you compare to my original, it is of course less dense. But it looks probably better to be fair. The scarring is almost non-existent as I see. Not becauxe it's covered up by chest hairs. It just is barely even noticeable. The dots you see are freckles.

0?ui=2&ik=3ec0ca503d&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r-4479411181448983379&th=17a3ccce9b141a0b&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9IjME6Y_VMR8-SpBqWNiLnjNZjJX_EjKsonVq_whdRobxZnPoI3nqXISEJrrbVaDj5b20Wq5MZMLpscP9U3PhHZ6S_jGlBr4Gbog85yL9aiJrAJsGg2UhoM_E&disp=emb&realattid=17a3cccd65ed973e15e1

7 hours ago, gimpoli said:

Hey, and no problem.

1. Good point. The official line is to sleep face down. I for one can't do that! So I just slept in the orthodox position, face up and made sure not to move or rub. You just have to be statuesque. First night maybe a couple grafts came loose, but not many.

2. Yes it was, but doc deemed my chest to be a better option for me. Plus I have ginger in my beard mixed in with the black hair, so I'm not the best candidate.

3. Yep, attached a shot from today. I guess if you compare to my original, it is of course less dense. But it looks probably better to be fair. The scarring is almost non-existent as I see. Not becauxe it's covered up by chest hairs. It just is barely even noticeable. The dots you see are freckles.

0?ui=2&ik=3ec0ca503d&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r-4479411181448983379&th=17a3ccce9b141a0b&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9IjME6Y_VMR8-SpBqWNiLnjNZjJX_EjKsonVq_whdRobxZnPoI3nqXISEJrrbVaDj5b20Wq5MZMLpscP9U3PhHZ6S_jGlBr4Gbog85yL9aiJrAJsGg2UhoM_E&disp=emb&realattid=17a3cccd65ed973e15e1

Cannot see a pic ? 

Loads fine for me. Will add another, hang on.

As you can see from chest, there's no actual lasting damage/scarring. Any minor scarring would be covered by the hairs anyway. And despite that it looked like almost all had been depleted, some of the hairs were in the dormant phase and sprung out later.

Mwamba made a really good point that I didn't mention: body hairs that are transplanted take on the characteristics of the area they're implanted. So growth patters while usually shorter in body hair, mimick those of the scalp when moved over there. Nobody talks about this and probably are scared to put their name to such a big claim, but so far I haven't noticed any unusual shedding on the recipient.

chest-5-months-later.jpg

• Like 2

I'm actually surprised to hear Dr Mwamba say this as I've always been under the assumption that follicles retain the properties from where they were extracted from. So, body hair maintains the same characteristics and growth patterns from where it was extracted from. Very interesting. Are there any studies out there to confirm this or is it just his clinical experience over the years?

• Like 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Mustang,

Only just reading your replies now.

I literally just got back from Belgium for my (third) transplant, second with Mwamba. This time we did around 600 BHT - chest > donor. He put in some more into the crown. I am pretty good on the top now and no real issues. Even my donor area is almost perfect now. I went back for the second restoration because I still need to use Toppik on certain parts. Especially on the right side, there were a few holes.

With some luck, this latest intervention will help plug the gaps. I do indeed trust Mwamba and his team. I am confident that's it for me. Mwamba commented that I still got 500+ good grafts around my belly region but probably won't need to tap them, unless I keep balding.

All in all another fantastic experience, this time over 2 days for the 600. Amazing clinic and team and you always leave in full confidence. I really appreciate them!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Congrats Gimpoli on the improvement.

Based on your results of transplanting chest to donor, and hypothetically, how far would you be willing to take this had you needed more hair to the top of your head? This would give us an idea of how natural you feel those chest hairs are on your donor area... I am assuming you wouldn't go 100% body hair would you? 

So far visibly your donor hair is surprisingly homogenous, but I am assuming close up one must see/feel a difference. 

Glad to see this post I am 3X hairier than you and always wondered about filling donor. 

• Like 1

The only difference really is density, but doesn't seem to matter so much in the donor. I did my second chest>head transplant a month ago and now awaiting the results from that. Overall, this procedure really changed my life. Can you tell/feel the difference up close? Nope. I keep my donor hair relatively short, but no, I would suggest the transplanted grafts blend in quite well. Nothing odd about them at all.

Give Dr Mwamba a go and sure will change your life!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gimpoli said:

The only difference really is density

Good thing is that I don't even notice density issues in your donor. But from your understanding why is density an issue with BHT, impossible to pack as close to each other as head hair? 

Going for BHT to donor or receipient area?