Dr. Patrick Mwamba (Fue Clinic) - Over 9,000 grafts - 24th & 25th of May 2021

On 1/5/2022 at 12:15 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Looking incredible my man

Thanks bro… just waiting for the 2nd surgery to start coming through… suffered a bit of shock loss on the top I think … one more month and I’ll give you all a video update ! 

On 1/5/2022 at 2:33 PM, JC71 said:

@captaincalicoMan you have come a very long way ! Absolutely amazing difference to your starting point, so pleased your getting such a awesome result 👊

Thank you bro ! And for your continued support…. Little bit of shock loss on the top crown area but I reckon one more month it’ll start all growing back through ! I’ll post a video update end of feb!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all … sorry I’ve been quiet lately .. but as I mentioned before I’m waiting for surgery 2 to start making an appearance which I can tell you it’s starting to… I can feel the little hairs breaking through :.. but no visual on it yet. I will post an update end of feb as mentioned previously … this should be when the new hairs should start to become visible ! For now though.. here is a side view of before op and then today! 

766BA5AB-66FE-4B5C-901E-AF9807476230.jpeg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Etownone said:

👍👍👍👍👍

Looks great man.    Congrats.  

You won the hair loss battle.  

Thx to your story and Mustang,  I see Dr Mwamba Monday for my surgery. 

Thank you man ! And good luck… you are in good hands 

• Thanks 1

@captaincalico hey man, can you please share some additional details, I need to know if your extracted hair follicles were analyzed under microscope for its quality and separation for doubles, triples and singles. Did they use microscopes anyhow? Also do you remember if Dr Mwamba was somehow calculating the level of miniaturization on your donor area? 
Few months ago I was convinced to go with Dr Bisanga which I was pretty sure he is the best from Europe, but unfortunately I couldn’t get any discount from his assistant, also couldn’t get an estimation for the grafts I need and if I am suitable or not for a HT surgery. Dr Bisanga’s prices are double than Dr Mwamba which is quite a lot and now I will go with Dr Mwamba as I understood from my research that he is world class quality, similar with Dr Bisanga.

Thanks man!

17 hours ago, Leos said:

@captaincalico hey man, can you please share some additional details, I need to know if your extracted hair follicles were analyzed under microscope for its quality and separation for doubles, triples and singles. Did they use microscopes anyhow? Also do you remember if Dr Mwamba was somehow calculating the level of miniaturization on your donor area? 
Few months ago I was convinced to go with Dr Bisanga which I was pretty sure he is the best from Europe, but unfortunately I couldn’t get any discount from his assistant, also couldn’t get an estimation for the grafts I need and if I am suitable or not for a HT surgery. Dr Bisanga’s prices are double than Dr Mwamba which is quite a lot and now I will go with Dr Mwamba as I understood from my research that he is world class quality, similar with Dr Bisanga.

Thanks man!

You don't need to analyze grafts under a microscope to separate singles, doubles and triples and they don't use it.

They can see them clearly under lense magnification and grafts stored accordingly in different labeled recipients with a custom solution that ensures optimal survival.

Any reputable doctor will see if there is miniaturization on your donor during the consultation and suggest 5AR treatment or avoid the area for extraction.

Why were you trying to get a discount from Dr Bisanga? I don't mean to sound rude but a surgeon's fee is a surgeon's fee and they well disserve it for their experience and excellent work. I understand some have money constraints but this is your hair and the one investment that will last you for life.

Edited by mustang

17 hours ago, Leos said:

Thanks man!

I wouldn’t have thought Bisanga’s prices to be double of Mwamba’s? All the top FUE surgeons in Europe outside of the UK, have a very similar price structure as far as I am aware, however I stand to be corrected. 

I also echo the above comments . . trying to haggle for a discount with an acclaimed surgeon, whilst not being unreasonable to initially ask whilst going through the consultation stages with the rep, shouldn’t really be a make it or break it IMO when selecting a surgeon.
You are paying to undergo a surgical procedure with a medically trained professional, not buy a carpet from a market stall in Morocco. 

18 hours ago, Leos said:

Thanks man!

Thx to Mustang,   I reached out to Dr Mwamba and had my surgery with with him this past Monday and Tues in New Jersey. 

He rents out a room from a dermatologist office,   and in this office they did use a microscope.... And they actually let me look in the microscope to show me how one of my triples had a hair follicle in a different growth phase then the others.   (I forgot the terminology,  anogen phase?).   They then proceeded to separate some triples and doubles because he needed more singles for the Hairline.   I'm pretty sure they did it under the microscope. 

And if discounts are that important to you...  Dr Mwamba offers a nice discount if you give permission to let him use your pics.   The pics block out your eyes/face.  But even without the discount,  he still has a very reasonable price especially being one of the top surgeons out there.   

Edited by Etownone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mustang said:

You don't need to analyze grafts under a microscope to separate singles, doubles and triples and they don't use it.

They can see them clearly under lense magnification and grafts stored accordingly in different labeled recipients with a custom solution that ensures optimal survival.

Any reputable doctor will see if there is miniaturization on your donor during the consultation and suggest 5AR treatment or avoid the area for extraction.

Why were you trying to get a discount from Dr Bisanga? I don't mean to sound rude but a surgeon's fee is a surgeon's fee and they well disserve it for their experience and excellent work. I understand some have money constraints but this is your hair and the one investment that will last you for life.

You’re joking, right? :) 

All the top clinics are using microscopes for the hair follicles, especially Dr. Bisanga which I consider top 3 worldwide. I’m not trying to get a discount, don’t get me wrong, I just asked, didn’t tried to negotiate or something like this. Because most of the clinics offered a little discount in some particular conditions and because I wish I could choose him for my HT.

I asked about miniaturization because if this is on a high percentage, the donor will not be suitable for extraction. And this is a must to be measured for establishing if you are a good candidate for HT.

I know what’s your point and I also think that this an investment for life, but I already doubled my budget and I need 3 HT surgeries in my case which will be quite a lot.

1 hour ago, Curious25 said:

I wouldn’t have thought Bisanga’s prices to be double of Mwamba’s? All the top FUE surgeons in Europe outside of the UK, have a very similar price structure as far as I am aware, however I stand to be corrected. 

I also echo the above comments . . trying to haggle for a discount with an acclaimed surgeon, whilst not being unreasonable to initially ask whilst going through the consultation stages with the rep, shouldn’t really be a make it or break it IMO when selecting a surgeon.
You are paying to undergo a surgical procedure with a medically trained professional, not buy a carpet from a market stall in Morocco. 

You have to believe me. Dr Bisanga’s assistant just told me that beginning with April they will charge at 5€ per graft.

Guys, I know what’s your saying, I didn’t tried to negotiate or to make pressure on this topic, don’t be rude. I just asked because this is way too much for me and I will need 3 surgeries.

1 hour ago, Etownone said:

Thx to Mustang,   I reached out to Dr Mwamba and had my surgery with with him this past Monday and Tues in New Jersey. 

He rents out a room from a dermatologist office,   and in this office they did use a microscope.... And they actually let me look in the microscope to show me how one of my triples had a hair follicle in a different growth phase then the others.   (I forgot the terminology,  anogen phase?).   They then proceeded to separate some triples and doubles because he needed more singles for the Hairline.   I'm pretty sure they did it under the microscope. 

And if discounts are that important to you...  Dr Mwamba offers a nice discount if you give permission to let him use your pics.   The pics block out your eyes/face.  But even without the discount,  he still has a very reasonable price especially being one of the top surgeons out there.   

Thanks for the info man,

I thought so that they are using microscopes. Do you remember if there was some discussion about the miniaturization or if they calculated or measured it somehow?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mustang said:

Nah, the best places all use microscopes to analyze the grafts.  It's easy not to spot very tiny follicles that are just barely visible if only using lenses.  What looks like a single under a lens can actually be a double or triple, with 1-2 very undeveloped follicles.  And when they sprout, it's too late.

Check out my journey here:

35 minutes ago, Leos said:

All the top clinics are using microscopes for the hair follicles, especially Dr. Bisanga which I consider top 3 worldwide. I’m not trying to get a discount, don’t get me wrong, I just asked, didn’t tried to negotiate or something like this. Because most of the clinics offered a little discount in some particular conditions and because I wish I could choose him for my HT.

I asked about miniaturization because if this is on a high percentage, the donor will not be suitable for extraction. And this is a must to be measured for establishing if you are a good candidate for HT.

I know what’s your point and I also think that this an investment for life, but I already doubled my budget and I need 3 HT surgeries in my case which will be quite a lot.

Also Dr Bisanga said on an interview with Melvin that “if you don’t have enough money, talk to the clinic, don’t look for cheap transplant clinics”. So I just asked the clinic…

1 hour ago, Leos said:

Thanks for the info man,

I thought so that they are using microscopes. Do you remember if there was some discussion about the miniaturization or if they calculated or measured it somehow?

I don't remember any discussion about miniaturization.  They just showed me that one example and told me I should continue the treatments I'm doing,  minoxidil/finesteride.   

On 2/3/2022 at 11:36 AM, Fue3361 said:

Nah, the best places all use microscopes to analyze the grafts.  It's easy not to spot very tiny follicles that are just barely visible if only using lenses.  What looks like a single under a lens can actually be a double or triple, with 1-2 very undeveloped follicles.  And when they sprout, it's too late.

The best places?

That's funny cause I had surgery with 5 out of the 10 best surgeons in the world and none used a microscope and all of them stated the opposite of your post.

I am sorry but this is untrue. I have zero double grafts on my hairline and never was a microscope used on my 15 surgeries. Nothing wrong with taking that extra step if deemed necessary by any clinic but your statement is not accurate.

All the best places do have microscopes, they don't use them a lot.

Edited by mustang

On 2/3/2022 at 11:29 AM, Leos said:

You have to believe me. Dr Bisanga’s assistant just told me that beginning with April they will charge at 5€ per graft.

Guys, I know what’s your saying, I didn’t tried to negotiate or to make pressure on this topic, don’t be rude. I just asked because this is way too much for me and I will need 3 surgeries.

5 EUR doesn't seem unreasonable for a top surgeon

Mwamba is charging 3 EUR in Brussels and 5 or 6 USD in the US.

On 2/3/2022 at 11:15 AM, Leos said:

No, I am not joking. 

Sorry but Bisanga is no top 3 worldwide. That class belongs to the Iberians 

He is definitely on the top 10 though.

It's rather irrelevant to be honest. You will have a good result with any of them. No need to over analyze these details. They know what they are doing.

3 hours ago, mustang said:

The best places?

That's funny cause I had surgery with 5 out of the 10 best surgeons in the world and none used a microscope and all of them stated the opposite of your post.

I am sorry but this is untrue. I have zero double grafts on my hairline and never was a microscope used on my 15 surgeries. Nothing wrong with taking that extra step if deemed necessary by any clinic but your statement is not accurate.

All the best places do have microscopes, they don't use them a lot.

Maybe I’m wrong.  I’d be happy to be shown that I am, it’s how we learn and grow.

Can anyone else confirm that it’s not common practice amongst the best surgeons to use microscopes to sort grafts?  It was always a strong point I looked for in a clinic.  I was always under the impression that microscopes were the gold standard for avoiding multigrafts in hairline.

maybe someone knowledgeable like @Melvin- Moderator?

Edited by Fue3361

Check out my journey here:

• Administrators

Microscopes are definitely good for sorting out possible telogen grafts. That said, some surgeons use strong loops with high magnification that can be good enough. I do feel that microscopes should be a worthy investment for all surgeons. But some quality doctors don’t use them. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 2/4/2022 at 7:56 PM, mustang said:

No, I am not joking. 

Sorry but Bisanga is no top 3 worldwide. That class belongs to the Iberians 

He is definitely on the top 10 though.

It's rather irrelevant to be honest. You will have a good result with any of them. No need to over analyze these details. They know what they are doing.

Hi @mustang

I read your own post, as well as your comments on this one. I am currently looking into clinics in Europe and wanted to know your opinion on who the best surgeon is? You’ve been to several clinics for your surgeries, although you’ve been to Dr Mwamba a number of times recently… So if cost is no object, who would you recommend for 1500 grafts?

Who are the 3 Iberians you speak of? Couto, Freitas and Lorenzo? Who else makes up the top 10 in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

Best surgeons for me in Europe are (in no particular order)

Couto

Freitas

Ferreira

Pinto

Feriduni

Vila

Lorenzo

Mwamba

Bisanga 

HLC (Ozgur)

In North America

Feller, Rahal, Hasson and Wong.

Edited by mustang
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mustang said:

Best surgeons for me in Europe are (in no particular order)

Couto

Freitas

Ferreira

Pinto

Feriduni

Vila

Lorenzo

Mwamba

Bisanga 

HLC (Ozgur)

In North America

Feller, Rahal, Hasson and Wong.

Thanks for the quick reply man!

So you’d happily go to any of them? Is there much difference between any in the top 10?

As people have already pointed out, Mwamba is cheaper than most of the others. For 1500 grafts he would be €3000 cheaper than the ones who charge €5 per graft. I know I said money is no object, but why pay more if you don’t have to? But if you say the top 3 surgeons are in a higher class (I’m guessing you’d say Couto is number 1?) then that would make the extra cost worthwhile…

So if you don’t mind, please could you put them in order for me @mustang?

Thank you!

30 minutes ago, FITA said:

Thanks for the quick reply man!

So you’d happily go to any of them? Is there much difference between any in the top 10?

As people have already pointed out, Mwamba is cheaper than most of the others. For 1500 grafts he would be €3000 cheaper than the ones who charge €5 per graft. I know I said money is no object, but why pay more if you don’t have to? But if you say the top 3 surgeons are in a higher class (I’m guessing you’d say Couto is number 1?) then that would make the extra cost worthwhile…

So if you don’t mind, please could you put them in order for me @mustang?

Thank you!

Vila and Ferreira are 3 EUR as well and I will put both a step above Bisanga who is 5 EUR

The price they charge has nothing to do with it, you don't need to pay more.

Any in that list will give you a great result, don't overthink.