My hairline and crown results from FUT in July 2020

EvoXOhio

Hello,

about 5.5 months about I got a hair transplant. My main concern was my crown, so I told them to focus on eliminating my bald spot, then if there was any remaining hair, work on my hair line. Ironically, 5 months after my transplant, it’s my hairline that looks the most dense and that I’m happy with, but my crown I am not happy with at all. The hairline I won’t be too angry if it doesn’t get a little denser, but I do have the see through look a bit in direct light, so I’m hoping it gets a bit denser. But even if it doesn’t I think I’ll be ok with it. It’s the crown that I really have a problem with. 

the place I went to had great reviews, but in hind sight I wish I could have found this forum first so I could have done better research. I don’t think my results are bad per se, but I’m disappointed in the crown density in bright lights. I know that it will continue to thicken, but the spacing of the hairs makes me think it’s not going to fill in. 

the place I went to said they transplanted about 8000 hairs, but I don’t recall how many grafts they said it was. 

these are the best “before” pics I have. As you can see my crown was fairly bald, and my hair line quite receded. 

1F89CA97-844D-47E5-B7B7-6CC9BA942019.jpeg

2B55F925-0895-4995-8BD4-D3AEE0891358.png

19F07F57-ECB6-4F12-95CB-CEA2C03367CC.jpeg

• EvoXOhio changed the title to Results after 5.5 months

I’d rather not list the clinic or doctor at this time. The only reviews I have seen of the doctor on here are from many years ago. 

it’s not a Bosley, but I think it is a chain type place. I wish I had done more research. They have 100’s of 5 star reviews on google and Yelp, but I wish I had found this site beforehand. 

I paid about $12,000 for the procedure. It was FUT

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I guess the pictures in bright light are what have me worried. When I look at the crown up close the transplanted hairs just look really spaced out. I tried to take a picture but just couldn’t get one that showed what I’m seeing. 

what is everyone’s thought on the hairline? I think the design and overall look and feel are pretty good and don’t look fake. I do still have a high hairline (I have a five head) but that’s because I elected to focus on the crown since it bothered me the most. At age 41 I feel like the height of my hairline is age appropriate, but I have definitely considered a second surgery down the road to bring the hair line down a bit. 

Just now, baldbandito said:

You look younger than 41 mate! Have you throught about sprinkling oncealer on the crown while it's thickening up? Thanks for sharing 

Thanks! I really don’t leave the house ever due to Covid, save for the going to the grocery once a week. I work from home and never go anywhere. So basically nobody sees me. 

Thanks! Yes I was endowed with great beard genetics. I’ve had a full beard and chest hair since age 14. 😂

thanks all the reassurance on my progress. I’ve seen lots of people in the same boat at 5 months who went on to have full crowns, but then others who really didn’t get much more growth. So I guess I’m stuck waiting. 

Edited by EvoXOhio
  • Like 1

tbh I think your natural look was totally fine! looks like you have the beard, physique, and facial structure to carry the bald look really well. However, of course no one wants to be bald, so understand going the HT route. 

Piggybacking what others have said, crown growth takes longer than the hairline bc the crown has less of a blood supply going to it. Just be patient and put concealer on it on occasions you need to have it covered. 

I really like your hairline. You really lucked out with that result, going to a chain-type HT place.

Try not to go crazy examining your hair under very bright light. There are plenty of examples on this forum, where objectively very good, end-result HT's, when you look very close up and under very bright light, you can see its not as dense as native hair, etc. Its one of those things that's not in the marketing material. 

Edited by DenverBuff1989
  • Thanks 1

very impressive for only 5.5 months - congrats! you have another 12 months of maturation, density and improvement, especially in the crown. But I really like the age appropriate hairline with a bit of natural recession - it will serve you well over time.  I see so many overly aggressive, low hairlines that scream HAIR-TRANSPLANT, its really sad. Compliments to you and whoever your doctor was. Best wishes on your continued growth.

Edited by home1212
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Because I can’t stop obsessing over my crown, lol, I took more pictures tonight. This is what frustrates me. I took these two pics back to back, in the same bathroom, 1 minute apart. The only difference is the one that looks bad was directly under very harsh light, whereas the other one wasn’t. Just based on what direction I was facing in the bathroom. 

it just makes me wonder if all these great results I see here are under normal lighting or harsh lighting. My crown goes from looking almost fully covered to a big bald spot just by a shift in light. 

im worried I didn’t get enough density, and my best case end result is I will still look like I’m balding. Or I grow my hair long enough to cover it, but then that’s pretty much a comb over. 

10985962-0DF4-4A51-85F4-F139F60B83D2.jpeg

5E22DA68-2730-4714-ACFC-9213E1F95AFC.jpeg

Your hairlines grown in really well for 5.5 months which bodes well for what your crown will hopefully mature into. Like others have mentioned, experience suggests it tends to take longer to see the crown grow in. 

Your hair appears to be naturally on the denser side which is great, and your beard is just straight up awesome - so you have plenty to play with down the line! 

On a final note, please don’t wear concealer - it’s the last thing brand new grafts in their infancy need to choked out with whilst they are adapting to their new homes and looking to mature. 

Edited by Curious25
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. Yeah I don’t have any plans to wear concealer. I never leave the house as is anyway. But the reason I don’t want to wear it, is because if my crown doesn’t fully fill in, then I’m stuck wearing concealer forever, or stop wearing it then people wonder why I suddenly thinned out. 

I wish I could stop obsessing about it. I must stare at my crown in the mirror five times a day. I know I need to relax and be patient but it tough. Mostly because I just haven’t seen any new hairs sprout through in like a month, so I’m worried that no new hairs will pop up, and my only hope is that the ones I have thicken up. 

Problem with obsessing about it, is that no amount of looking will make it grow sadly 😉

It will take up to another 12 months to fully grow and mature. Try and focus on the postivies, it’s already looking much better than when you started out.

And from now on it’s only going to improve further as the months go by. As hard as it is all you can do is wait. And then review in say 12 months time. 

The harsh lighting would be enough for anybody’s crown to show the weaker points, let alone one which is 5.5 months in.

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well it’s only been a few weeks since my first set of pictures on here, but everything seems to be thickening up nicely so I thought I’d post some new pics. I don’t know if it’s the added length (my hair grows really fast, I shaved my entire head with a #4 guard 3 months ago and it’s already this long on top), the hair cut I got last week, or the new hair product I’ve been using, but I’m feeling much more confident in the results.

The crown I’m still hoping thickens up a lot, as a lot of the coverage is decent but also kind of an illusion due to my hair being longer and covering it (sort of a combover.)

the hairline I’m 99% happy with. there’s a little spot in the middle where it’s thinner, so I hope that comes in. it was thinner right there before my procedure, so I’m guessing they just didn’t add extra hairs there to account for it, or maybe some of my grafts didn’t take  

I’ll post again at 7 months, which will be in about another 3 weeks. 

B4053486-4702-4535-8BB9-CD95077F8908.jpeg

CB6A942B-51A7-439C-997D-9C00CE162C13.jpeg

4F679FD6-12F3-4D9A-B4AD-378414523826.jpeg

99F3CF43-5A37-46E3-A645-B3108D1458B6.jpeg

238CC1C8-83DF-4F6E-B529-B8D234F225FF.jpeg

09D14190-252E-4E39-8314-A7CB768F21D0.jpeg

761F07DA-1F7B-487C-A2C8-4416830B26F6.jpeg

E1DBB485-A712-40E6-89EC-65CAF0AA8A37.jpeg

Edited by EvoXOhio
  • Like 2