My experience with Dr. Diep MHTA Clinic (11/12/2020) - FUE/FUT Combo 2622 grafts

WS2020

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Berba11 said:

Hey @WS2020,

You've achieved a significant cosmetic difference from where you've started - no doubt about that! So do try to keep that at the forefront of your mind as you move forward.

The biggest difference between month 6 & 9 for me is the lighting. You've obviously covered a very large area with a fairly conservative number of grafts. I've been quoted around 2500 - 3000 grafts for a very similar amount of frontal recession to yours, but mine doesn't quite extend back to the mid-scalp as yours does.

You'll possibly need a second pass to achieve the desired density, which isn't uncommon. Like I said, you've come a long way - there's more good news than bad news here! :)

I agree, while it’s understandable to want to look like you’re not balding at all, the difference is pretty significant, and there’s still more maturity left. DD6B9461-5D05-4535-89DA-A667B10760E0.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

^ I agree with Melvin for the most part. It's a huge improvement from the beginning. However, if Diep was more conservative/soft on his hairlines and stopped going so aggressive/low, the density would look much better as he would have less space to cover. I think creating more of a widow's peak and less of a straight hairline would have suited the patient better. More rounded hairline towards the corner of the head and higher up would have been suitable since the patient is 50. Especially if Diep is only utilizing 2600 grafts, he would need to use the space more wisely. If he was doing a mega session like 4 - 5k grafts, I think this would be a different story in my honest opinion. I would love to hear others opinions/thoughts on the case though.

Edited by hybonix
  • Like 1

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23

I agree that it's better than before. And yes, you should expect improvement over the next few months.

But.... at the moment, it looks like you've traded one set of problems for another. If this were you final results (and it's not), everyone would be making recommendations for a second transplant of 500-1000 grafts to soften the hairline (implants look a but pluggy with odd angles in certain pics) and add the density you're looking for.

Stay optimistic. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry folks, work is getting crazy and I skipped my month 10 update. I decided to wait another month to get the haircut, and there was no real different than the month prior.

Here is my month 11 update. Just got a fresh haircut this weekend. You can tell my overall hair is looking better but I think it is more to do with longer length than the density. It definitely passes the eye test and I got quite a few complements on looking younger. It is exciting to get the same hairstyle that I had in my 30's.

Frankly, the whole hair transplant meets my expectation but definitely was hoping for more. I am still on Fin 3 days a week and Min mousse every day.

Btw, I did not reach out to Diep. Frankly, not sure does it make any real difference. Anyway, here are the photos. 

20211012_182252.jpg

20211012_182257.jpg

20211012_182249.jpg

Edited by WS2020
  • Like 4

• Administrators

When you’re dealing with hair transplants you’re dealing with the “illusion of density” there needs to be a sweet spot in terms of hair length to layer and cover the scalp. 

From where you started this is a HUGE improvement, is it perfect? No, but hair transplants are never perfect. Overall, this is a great result. 4DD079FB-48F6-43FE-A544-FC0D27DA3905.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

42 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

When you’re dealing with hair transplants you’re dealing with the “illusion of density” there needs to be a sweet spot in terms of hair length to layer and cover the scalp. 

From where you started this is a HUGE improvement, is it perfect? No, but hair transplants are never perfect. Overall, this is a great result. 4DD079FB-48F6-43FE-A544-FC0D27DA3905.jpeg

I've not read through the whole thread, but came across this post - and the comparison between these two pics, looks night and day . . great hair calibre at play here on the patients behalf, which has helped a modest number of grafts in this case, go a long way! 

One critique I would highlight - is that the hairline could be softened. Nothing a few hundred singles wouldn't sort out in a skilled surgeons hands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WS2020 said:

Sorry folks, work is getting crazy and I skipped my month 10 update. I decided to wait another month to get the haircut, and there was no real different than the month prior.

Here is my month 11 update. Just got a fresh haircut this weekend. You can tell my overall hair is looking better but I think it is more to do with longer length than the density. It definitely passes the eye test and I got quite a few complements on looking younger. It is exciting to get the same hairstyle that I had in my 30's.

Frankly, the whole hair transplant meets my expectation but definitely was hoping for more. I am still on Fin 3 days a week and Min mousse every day.

Btw, I did not reach out to Diep. Frankly, not sure does it make any real difference. Anyway, here are the photos. 

It certainly looks better with longer hair. It's hard to make opinions over a few photos but the density could still use improvement. Frankly, I think 2600 grafts is too few for the area covered. I would expect 4000 is needed for that area.

Are you planning for a second transplant? I think Dr. Wong would be a great option for you. Maybe 1,000 grafts... or 2,000 if you go into your crown. 

• Like 1

Wow..... not expecting that many replies in this short period of time. My expectation was not very high and I am overall fine with the decision. On the other hand, I truly wish the density will be more.

Anyway, let me add two donor photos. I got both FUE and FUT. The donor area looks good and no one can tell. I took the photos at the same time but one with Caboki.

20211013_085232.jpg

20211013_085958.jpg

20201114_200402.thumb.jpg.a0c4a65eafc7c3a9fe2afc4c87ce06af.jpg

Edited by WS2020
  • Like 2

• Administrators

The donor healed nicely. A pro tip for Caboki, make sure you comb it through so you don’t get the chalky reside look. 

• Like 2

View my thread

• 1 month later...

Hitting exactly one year from the day of the transplant. I would say the result is satisfactory. I came in with low expectations and it does seems like we meet it with a little more. It is especially true that my friends and families do find the new hair looks very nature and no one can really talk I had a hair transplant. They also say I look younger with a fuller head of hair. 

To sum it up, it is an overall pleasant experience. The cost is little on the higher side but since Dr. Diep is local to me, that free of hassle is totally worth it. I also got luck out to wait only a month or two after the consultation due to a last minute cancelation. Doing it during WFH period was also a game changer and I am so glad that I went with my decision to get it done.

My one year check up with Dr. Diep will be in mid December. I will definitely bring up my concern about lack of the density upfront and that is the only true let down. Unsure it is something that he is willing to fix thou. I will let everyone know what happened.

Here are some photos. Need a hair cut badly.

20211115_120620.jpg

20211115_120623.jpg

20211115_120628.jpg

20211115_120701.jpg

Edited by WS2020
  • Like 2

• Administrators

I think it looks great, do you mind posting some more before pictures? 

View my thread

• 1 month later...

Just had my one year follow up with Dr. Diep yesterday. Even though we both agree that the right side can use a little more density, I personally cannot be unhappy about the end results. Nothing is perfect but it is definitely a huge difference between the before and after photos. 

Frankly, if you are in close proximity to his office, I really feel it is a no brainer to go with him. Is it perfect? Definitely not. However, I was looking for safe bet with no serious disruption to my life. Going with Dr. Diep just makes too much sense.

Here are the before and after photos from Dr. Diep yesterday. As usual, I need a haircut... 

20211215_190752.jpg

20211215_190750.jpg

20211215_190749.jpg

20211215_190747.jpg

20211215_190746.jpg

20211215_190744.jpg

20211215_190742.jpg

20211215_190741.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

I mean the change is DRASTIC. Considering how bald you were, the fact he was able to get a lower hairline with this much density in one surgery is incredible.6567EF84-F973-4B60-86D1-D89204047ED3.jpeg

• Like 3

View my thread

You should be happy with the results, for sure. I agree that the density isn't there, but I still contend that it was not enough grafts. The only way to cover the area is to lower the density.

My advice is to not go back to Diep. I would consider Wong for density and refinement. Best of luck!!

• Like 2

This was a fun thread to read. Being constrained by budget sucks, as others have stated you had a lot of area to cover with not a ton of grafts. 

The transplant isn't perfect, but as you stated at the onset, you weren't looking for perfection. I will say, your view from the front is pretty great, especially combed back. It's amazing how much of a difference lighting makes, though. From the same set of photos, it's hard to believe I'm looking at the same transplant. 

2 Photos From The Same Post (1 Year Out Exactly)

aimage.png.f07af8dc6f19cf5299b0b2493a8cc0b3.png

image.thumb.png.afb6b7df9301d9ae46c8ee3970609095.png

End of day, though, you got what you wanted and are happy. 

Edit: The only thing I don't really understand is the FUE/FUT combo. I can't see why it wouldn't work, but it's definitely not that common. 

Edited by Tentpole91

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Aftermath said:

I really like this result, especially with the salt and pepper look. For a 1 pass the density is pretty good too @Melvin- Moderator reminds me of Timothy Olyphant in that interview you showed me a little 

Ahh yes I agree. 

View my thread