My experience with Dr. Diep MHTA Clinic (11/12/2020) - FUE/FUT Combo 2622 grafts

WS2020

One of the more natural Diep hairlines I've seen recently.  The length (style) and the silver makes the most of the results.  Certainly could use another round to bulk things up, but I wouldn't touch the hairline.   

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

On 12/17/2021 at 1:48 AM, Tentpole91 said:

This was a fun thread to read. Being constrained by budget sucks, as others have stated you had a lot of area to cover with not a ton of grafts. 

The transplant isn't perfect, but as you stated at the onset, you weren't looking for perfection. I will say, your view from the front is pretty great, especially combed back. It's amazing how much of a difference lighting makes, though. From the same set of photos, it's hard to believe I'm looking at the same transplant. 

2 Photos From The Same Post (1 Year Out Exactly)

aimage.png.f07af8dc6f19cf5299b0b2493a8cc0b3.png

image.thumb.png.afb6b7df9301d9ae46c8ee3970609095.png

End of day, though, you got what you wanted and are happy. 

Edit: The only thing I don't really understand is the FUE/FUT combo. I can't see why it wouldn't work, but it's definitely not that common. 

Yeah, the lighting does make a different. I took the below photo yesterday with my normal lighting and I feel it is continue making progress every month.

Regarding FUE/FUT, it was truly limited by my budget (from wifey.) It was totally last minute right before the surgery and I am grateful that Dr Diep was even willing to do it. Below is another pic of the back of my head with a haircut today using a #2 guard. The FUT scar is not visible. I feel people should consider FUT with Diep if they are worrying about not enough donor hair in the future.

20211217_081751.jpg

20211218_172832.jpg

Edited by WS2020
  • Like 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, WS2020 said:

Yeah, the lighting does make a different. I took the below photo yesterday with my normal lighting and I feel it is continue making progress every month.

Regarding FUE/FUT, it was truly limited by my budget (from wifey.) It was totally last minute right before the surgery and I am grateful that Dr Diep was even willing to do it. Below is another pic of the back of my head with a haircut today using a #2 guard. The FUT scar is not visible. I feel people should consider FUT with Diep if they are worrying about not enough donor hair in the future.

20211217_081751.jpg

20211218_172832.jpg

Honestly, the strip scar isn’t even visible. How short is your hair?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 1 month later...

Another update after almost 15 months. Got a fresh haircut this weekend and the hair transplant result is pre. I am still on Fin 1mg three times a week and do feel some brain fog sometime. May try the tropical but unsure. I also apply Minoxidil 10% mousse everyday. 

My wife does like the results overall and ask me to consider to do another transplant to fill out the crown. I am using Caboki and feel it is doing a great job. Maybe down the road but I just don't want to go through another surgery and recovery now.

Here are some fresh photos

20220131_163027.jpg

20220131_163024.jpg

20220131_163022.jpg

20220131_163018.jpg

• Like 2

• Administrators

How satisfied are you? I know you were concerned at 7 month mark, and its improved a lot since then. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

19 hours ago, WS2020 said:

Another update after almost 15 months. Got a fresh haircut this weekend and the hair transplant result is pre. I am still on Fin 1mg three times a week and do feel some brain fog sometime. May try the tropical but unsure. I also apply Minoxidil 10% mousse everyday. 

My wife does like the results overall and ask me to consider to do another transplant to fill out the crown. I am using Caboki and feel it is doing a great job. Maybe down the road but I just don't want to go through another surgery and recovery now.

20220131_163027.jpg

20220131_163024.jpg

20220131_163022.jpg

20220131_163018.jpg

Looks fantastic! Nice work by diep! Were you using Nizoral everyday after your transplant? 

21 hours ago, WS2020 said:

20220131_163027.jpg

20220131_163024.jpg

20220131_163022.jpg

20220131_163018.jpg

this looks great ... where did you get the "minoxidil mousee"

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 7:24 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

How satisfied are you? I know you were concerned at 7 month mark, and its improved a lot since then. 

I would say it is an 8. Wife likes it but she still thinks the density can be much better. 

I am glad your procedure ended up favorable. Good stuff! :)

Do you want another procedure? If so, I say go for it. Not to sound rude or be too forward/prying, but I recommend you only do a HT if that's what you want and not based on what someone else wants. I am assuming she said to fill in your crown based on your feedback and that you both want another procedure.

If you are considering another procedure, which doctors are you looking at?

• Like 4

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23

• Administrators

I agree, hair transplants should be because you want one. 

• Like 2

View my thread

On 1/31/2022 at 7:27 PM, WS2020 said:

A second surgery is far less traumatic than your first. Yes, you'll shave your head but you have a lot of new hair that will simply just grow back. Your crown will take a while to fill in, as is normal. If you add density to your hairline, it should be easy to do by a good surgeon... and again, you won't have as much of an ugly duckling phase. 

• 5 months later...

Here are some fresh photos to update everyone. It will be 2 years in November. There is truly not much difference since my last update about 6 months back. I am still doing the same regiment on taking Fin 3x per week and Minoxidil 10% once a day. 

20220810_130904.jpg

20220810_130913.jpg

20220810_131012.jpg

20220810_130908.jpg

Edited by WS2020
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Time flies and it already my 2 year anniversary. Here is my final update (if thing doesn't change)

Overall, I am happy with the HT.  I got a lot of praises from my friends and co-workers about how nature it is. With the proper hair style (below), the hair line looks dense and it is impossible to tell about the HT if I didn't tell people.

On the other hand, my wife did point out lately that my hair start thinning out in the front again including the HT area. There are times I woke up looking like a guy with serious hair diffusing problem. I also see my hairline recede somewhat at the two corners, even I am on Fin three times/week and apply Minoxidil mousse everyday. At certain lighting, I can also see some random thinning spots at the back where are the FUE donors. My FUT does heal great.

Anyway, here are some new photos with the hair dyed black.

20221107_201324.jpg

20221107_201331.jpg

20221107_201412.jpg

20221107_201310.jpg

Edited by WS2020
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, WS2020 said:

Time flies and it already my 2 year anniversary. Here is my final update (if thing doesn't change)

Overall, I am happy with the HT.  I got a lot of praises from my friends and co-workers about how nature it is. With the proper hair style (below), the hair line looks dense and it is impossible to tell about the HT if I didn't tell people.

On the other hand, my wife did point out lately that my hair start thinning out in the front again including the HT area. There are times I woke up looking like a guy with serious hair diffusing problem. I also see my hairline recede somewhat at the two corners, even I am on Fin three times/week and apply Minoxidil mousse everyday. At certain lighting, I can also see some random thinning spots at the back where are the FUE donors. My FUT does heal great.

Anyway, here are some new photos with the hair dyed black.

20221107_201324.jpg

20221107_201331.jpg

20221107_201412.jpg

20221107_201310.jpg

Mate, I don't know what your wife is on about no offence, it looks amazing.. I don't always like dieps work but to be fair he nailed this one, you had a rather large area to cover as well..

HT is about creating an overall impression by framing your face, 99% of the time people will look In your eyes when they talk to you and won't notice small pockets of lacking density in your hairline, your overall apperance will look better because you have a hairline.. i think your result looks great and most of all age appropriate

• Like 1

• Administrators

Looks fantastic, very happy for you 🙌🏼

984E9546-920F-48D1-8A95-5D9A70F4A357.jpeg

• Like 2

View my thread