What happened to Wayne Rooney’s Hair?

Coady

Have to agree with Melvin here.

i actually thought he got good results from his HTs 

he got them when he was 25 when he was Norwood 4,5 and he is 32 now So he just lost a lot more of his native hair. 

which makes his hair look way worse !! 

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Coady said:

Have to agree with Melvin here.

i actually thought he got good results from his HTs 

he got them when he was 25 when he was Norwood 4,5 and he is 32 now So he just lost a lot more of his native hair. 

which makes his hair look way worse !! 

34 actually, he only had the front transplanted as well, the back was never touched, so obviously it’s completely bald now.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I always felt pretty bad for Wayne, I'm sure most of us know the anguish of losing our hair but he has been through all this whilst in the public eye. Suppose all that money might help make up for it a little bit. 😄 At least he's proof of how amazing good concealer can be. 🤗

Do we know if he actually took Fin/Dut and stuck with it?  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

He did not get that many grafts, if I recall he had around 1,500 each session, so 3,000 grafts. Growth wasn’t good, but not terrible, that’s how 3,000 grafts on a norwood 6 with thin hair looks. 

I cannot find before/after pics of both surgeries to see where all the grafts were placed.

The 2020 pic is horrendous. It shockingly appears as if only about 500 grafts have survived out of 3000(or more) grafts.

3000 grafts should have been enough to cover the frontal 3rd of his head with decent density. But alas, there is almost nothing left in the spots where the 3000 grafts were placed.

Why did he lose most of the 3000 transplanted grafts? This is the thing that should be of biggest concern to anyone considering a HT.

E5E90329-38C0-4D63-AE70-A5DC6FA4DF9C.jpeg

FFFB4D21-EC2D-44A7-AB3C-1F21968D662F.jpeg

2E6DAF5F-BA61-4926-A93A-AA4E94B0F128.jpeg

The safe zone is only a theory, but it's worth noting that doctors are typically referring to those hairs as DHT resistant and not DHT immune. If you look at older men, the hair on the back of their head usually looks like it has thinned out a bit, though not to the same extent as the hair on top. Likewise, we see patients with DUPA who have thin donor zones but will see thickening in this area in response to taking medication.

In other news words, if you can tolerate medication, you should be taking it. The people who come to these forums saying they want to get a hair transplant having never tried medication and arguing that they don't want to take it for the rest of their lives are ridiculous. No way of knowing if Wayne is taking medication or not, but even if he has had some additional thinning of native hair Melvin is 100% right about the use of concealer in some of these pictures.

6 hours ago, Mycroft said:

In other news words, if you can tolerate medication, you should be taking it. The people who come to these forums saying they want to get a hair transplant having never tried medication and arguing that they don't want to take it for the rest of their lives are ridiculous.

Agree with this. It's possible that he was forbidden from taking it by MUFC, but then again I am sure they forbid him from smoking tabs and drinking 12 pints in an evening, but he did that too. I remember Arsene Wenger making some negative comments about players taking anti-hair loss drugs

I am a fan of Wazza but let's be real this is a man who, as world class athlete, still manages to look like a couch potato with his shirt off so I think it's fair to say lifestyle could have played a part in his continued loss.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Mycroft said:

The safe zone is only a theory, but it's worth noting that doctors are typically referring to those hairs as DHT resistant and not DHT immune. If you look at older men, the hair on the back of their head usually looks like it has thinned out a bit, though not to the same extent as the hair on top. Likewise, we see patients with DUPA who have thin donor zones but will see thickening in this area in response to taking medication.

I agree. The safe zone is a myth. It doesn't exist. Do some men keep thick hair in that area until they are 90? Yes, but some men have thick hair on top until they are 90 as well. Is the top a safe area then?

notSafe.jpg.7f6e1fabd47b0539d7b1e641cda95d50.jpg

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

I agree. The safe zone is a myth. It doesn't exist. Do some men keep thick hair in that area until they are 90? Yes, but some men have thick hair on top until they are 90 as well. Is the top a safe area then?

notSafe.jpg.7f6e1fabd47b0539d7b1e641cda95d50.jpg

Have you thought of using toppik? Looks like you have enough hair for it to hold on too.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Moderators
On 7/17/2020 at 3:37 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Have you thought of using toppik? Looks like you have enough hair for it to hold on too.

I'd have to have my entire head filled with topic. It does work in that I can make it look full with enough of it all over (I actually tried Dermatch I think it's called), but I don't want to be like Wayne Rooney and have full hair one day and be bald the next day and on and on back and forth. I mean what do you do when the first date you have a full head of hair and then at some point she will see me completely bald. What about at work? I don't want to have to keep doing the cover up every day for years. It's too much pressure wondering who can tell and if they will tell everyone else. I have to meet hundreds of people daily. As hard as it is to deal with my freaky looking head of hair every day it's still better than trying to hide under some fake crap I'd be putting in it hoping nobody notices. Even if I look great, if everyone already knows it's some powder or whatever in my hair and I don't really look like that then what's the point of doing it?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
On 7/17/2020 at 11:01 PM, aaron1234 said:

Is that you in the pic? 

Yes, but I don't look quite that bad now. That picture is from last year before I had an additional 1000 or so grafts put all around the fringe to build it up a bit. I'll be going again probably in December for another round to hopefully finish building up the sides and back and hopefully get a few hundred grafts in the midscalp as well.

Putting this back to Wayne Rooney because I don't want to hijack the thread. You can see in his before picture he has very high sides and still a bit of hair in the center and midscalp. If he gets the front area filled in he had enough to do a comb over by parting his hair with some of the high side section and letting it grow over the center. 9 years later the sides have dropped a lot and he lost almost all he had in the midscalp, so he can't do the comb over anymore. That makes it look like the hair transplanted hair has fallen out. Probably a bit of it may have as he may be thinning on the sides now, but if you look at the immediate post op pics it looks like he only had grafts placed in the frontal area.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

Probably pocket money for him but spending £30,000 on his hair transplants have not given him a lasting result. Even with his native hair gone there is not many grafts that remain.

If he chooses a better Dr next he may get a better (and lasting) result. 

In 1994 Walter Unger MD studied the donor areas of 328 men over 65 and found that 80% of men under 80 retained hair in the safe donor (strip) zone.

It would be good if someone updated this study with a larger sample size.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Administrators
On 7/20/2020 at 7:19 AM, BeHappy said:

I'd have to have my entire head filled with topic. It does work in that I can make it look full with enough of it all over (I actually tried Dermatch I think it's called), but I don't want to be like Wayne Rooney and have full hair one day and be bald the next day and on and on back and forth. I mean what do you do when the first date you have a full head of hair and then at some point she will see me completely bald. What about at work? I don't want to have to keep doing the cover up every day for years. It's too much pressure wondering who can tell and if they will tell everyone else. I have to meet hundreds of people daily. As hard as it is to deal with my freaky looking head of hair every day it's still better than trying to hide under some fake crap I'd be putting in it hoping nobody notices. Even if I look great, if everyone already knows it's some powder or whatever in my hair and I don't really look like that then what's the point of doing it?

You don’t have to cake it on, you can just put enough to make it look fuller, but not necessarily look like a full head of hair. If someone asks why it looks thicker, you can just say it’s a fiber hit product. It’s definitely worth it, if you can see Wayne Rooney himself looks fantastic with it on. 

View my thread