How does a second FUE in the same area work?

Hi there. New member, excited to be here. I post on Hair Loss Talk from time to time.

I'm approaching 5 months after a ~2200 FUE to my frontal third from a lesser known clinic in the Toronto area. I made the plunge after meeting a colleague in person who went to the same clinic and seeing his results.

I'm disheartened to say the density so far is lacking. I had suspicions from day 1 as the grafts seemed a little spaced apart compared to other results. Now that I'm halfway through I think it's pretty much confirmed my transplant won't be that great.

I'll likely be looking at a second procedure after 12 months, maybe with Dr. Rahal. People on other forums have mentioned a "top up" is possible, where they fill in a transplant and make it more dense. Can somebody describe to me how exactly that works? Wouldn't incisions run the risk of damaging nearby transplanted grafts?

Thanks in advance. The pics are today at almost 5 months, at 4 months, and pre and post-op.

IMG_4091.JPG

IMG_4090.JPG

IMG_3971.JPG

IMG_3972.JPG

IMG_3973.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG

Follow my second hair transplant journey below

Caucasian - 4613 Grafts - Eugenix, Dr. Arika Bansal

A surgery of 2200 to that area is not a lot of grafts to be honest.  A good surgeon will be able to go in and re-visit the same area and place in and among this work and not transect anything, so that is not a concern.  Don't rush anything and be patient to see how it comes in fully and keep in touch with the clinic who performed it as they should be able to comment and guide you thorough this till the final result. Wish you all the best for the coming months.

• Like 2

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Thanks for your reply. That makes me feel better that it's possible to fix.

I agree wholeheartedly - 2200 was not enough for the area. The clinic was confident it would be enough, which saddens me because it wasn't. In the end it's my mistake for putting my trust in them.

We'll see what the coming months bring.

You are welcome, we are all here to help and please let us know how it goes. It is not the end of the world and once you hit 12 months then assess and get a good clinic to add density. Take care and look forward to seeing the updates and happy to help in any questions. Take care.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Wow your hairloss seems to be almost the exact pattern I had in the front! Our hair color is similar so I feel I can relate. 
I needed my front touched 3 times to get my results but a second pass might be good also. Totally possible with good hands and experience. Good luck. 

On the bright side, they didn’t use more grafts for an area that definitely required more. Good surgeon could work between these hairs I’m sure. You could do some online consultations right now, get in touch with Dr. Rahal like you mentioned. 

I believe it’s def fixable. Goodluck 

Thank you guys so much, it really helps hearing your feedback.

I got in touch with the clinic and we're gonna stay in contact while I reach my 12 months. If I had to ask them for a touch up I'm not even sure how I would word that. Do I request it free of charge? They've made it clear they take their reputation seriously but I'm not sure how to professionally approach that.

I sent Dr. Rahal's team a message for down the road planning. We'll see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic - can I get people's opinions on the hairline? A colleague of mine who had a hair transplant mentioned to me it might be worthwhile to ask Rahal (or whoever ends up doing the work) to lower the hairline slightly while they're working on that area. Personally I agree and think it's a little high. Any thoughts? When I say slightly I'm thinking 0.5cm or less.

IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4133.JPG

IMG_4134.JPG

• Moderators

It's certainly a higher hairline than I would want, so I would want to lower it if it was me, but without knowing what your donor looks like and if you have any thinning in the crown it's hard to really say if you should get it lowered or not. Definitely ask about lowering it and see what the response from the Dr is.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Hairline is a little higher but then again are you prone to lose more hair, what was the norwood scale before you started?  .  How many cm is it right now from the base of hairline to the eyebrows, from the left side to the eyebrow, from the center side tot he eyebrow, from the right Side to the eyebrow?  Let the area heal for at least 12-16 months before taking any surgical route again.  Also, if they implant in same recipient zones be careful of transections.  Also, if they plant in the area in front of your hairline be mindful of adequate SAFE density to get your goals addressed.  Get it on paper what your expectations are via email and dont pay any deposits to anyone until your questions are answered fully and in detail.  Also, when the hairline is designed, make sure they do not put the left or right side (arching up Much higher more then the other side).  It should be somewhat consistent when designed versus eye guessing it at time of surgery.  

now, you can lower the hairline but remember for every 1cm you go, you may be utilizing upwards up to 1,000 grafts.  This all depends on your hair texture and caliber as well.  Be careful with this and stay safe.  I know this means a lot to you so just think it through and research further on best approach and surgical protocols.  

now it may be worthwhile to get multiple free consults from top doctors in the area to see what they suggest—have you reached out to Hasson and Wong?  What about Dr Bloxham? Dr Lindsey?  Dr Konior? Dr Wesley?  Any other doctors?  Honestly, it will help with assessment if many docs give similar plans.  

I am a guy in need of ethical repair.  i hope i can have my life back and issues addressed soon as well.  It’s been brutal so far and im kinda left hanging at the moment.  People can sugarcoat the actual level of severity of the damages just to deceive you, but then you learn how much deception there is when it comes to actual costs, who would do it, how they will do it.  You go in for fue initially and now for repairs fut and Scalp resections are even on tables along with other things not mentioned.  So, At least for me, its been a roller coaster.

So I hope these things go smooth for you.  Best of luck

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry about your experience Sean - sounds like a rough go. My hair loss has almost completely slowed or stopped (I'm 27, been on Fin for 4 years) and the donor is in good shape. Although I'll let the Doctor decide that when I go to a clinic. Here's some more pics.

In a perfect world my second transplant would be my last, and I'd get the following goals done;

- Increase density in frontal third (1st surgery area)

- Lower hairline slightly (0.5cm or less)

- Put whatever is left in the crown

It'll be a decent size job, I estimate about 3000 grafts. I'm looking at H&W, Rahal and Cinik to name a few. Still got a few months to wait but I like planning and getting peoples' opinions on this forum. As far as transecting previous work Dr. Rahal's rep said this is something they do on a normal basis and no problem at all.

If anyone else has input on the hairline let me know!

IMG_4135.JPG

IMG_4140.JPG

IMG_4144.JPG

IMG_4146.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rob7331 said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry about your experience Sean - sounds like a rough go. My hair loss has almost completely slowed or stopped (I'm 27, been on Fin for 4 years) and the donor is in good shape. Although I'll let the Doctor decide that when I go to a clinic. Here's some more pics.

In a perfect world my second transplant would be my last, and I'd get the following goals done;

- Increase density in frontal third (1st surgery area)

- Lower hairline slightly (0.5cm or less)

- Put whatever is left in the crown

It'll be a decent size job, I estimate about 3000 grafts. I'm looking at H&W, Rahal and Cinik to name a few. Still got a few months to wait but I like planning and getting peoples' opinions on this forum. As far as transecting previous work Dr. Rahal's rep said this is something they do on a normal basis and no problem at all.

If anyone else has input on the hairline let me know!

IMG_4135.JPG

IMG_4140.JPG

IMG_4144.JPG

IMG_4146.JPG

Hey Rob, excited to see that you are inquiring about different options and planning on going for another round to add some more density - you’re going to be very happy with your results!

When it comes to your hairline, what you should do is go and look back at old pictures of yourself when you had a full head of hair and see where your hairline naturally was. For example, I’ve always had a bigger forehead and therefore, when I had my HT done, I wanted to make sure it was a natural one for my face shape - so we decided on a slightly more curvilinear hairline. Also, it’s easy to perseverate about the hairline when your hair is so short because you can nit-pick at the minor details. But just remember that once the hair starts growing longer and you start styling it, it will be so hard to tell where the hairline actually starts. Just my perspective on it :)

I think with hairline as I’ve mentioned I’m 10cm/4inches from eyebrow to hair line. But that’s who I am. I think if you’ve always had big hairline it would look weird if lowered. I’d say stick to where your hairline was before 

I don't think it is awful but it is very few grafts in a large area. However, it is too early to say what the final result will be (mine looked shit at 5 months and then by 9 months looked amazing). That said, I do think the finishing density will be about the same as the rest of your head so will look consistent and natural. Once it has fully grown our at the 12 month mark, you can plan for a second one if that is what you want.

Hairline height looks ok.  They have done you a favour as a low hairline could look like a hair system given that your temporal points are quite weak.

You have to wait and see how it looks grown out as high hairlines look their highest when buzzed short.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I know this doesn't directly relate but after recommendations from users on here I've started looking into Eugenix - goodness gracious their results are amazing! I think that's exactly what I need - tight dense packing for my thinner blonde hair. Going to get in touch with them asap and see if after 12 months they can help me.

I wish they had more results for Caucasians though. Can't find much out there.

1 hour ago, rob7331 said:

I know this doesn't directly relate but after recommendations from users on here I've started looking into Eugenix - goodness gracious their results are amazing! I think that's exactly what I need - tight dense packing for my thinner blonde hair. Going to get in touch with them asap and see if after 12 months they can help me.

Awesome, man! Keep us posted on what you find out!

8 hours ago, rob7331 said:

I have blonde hair also. I have had multiple passes in my front all by the same doctor. 
just snapped the picture today!

https://imgur.com/a/VCNFrtx

I am pretty sure I was as bald as you starting out. 

Hey Guy73, I read your thread! Your results are amazing. Unfortunately I don't think I have it in me to do a third procedure ha ha, unless it was drastically necessary. I'm hoping for my second to give me most of what I'm looking for - my goals are pretty mild. Your journey is insanely impressive though.

Your thread also put Nader on my list! I'll be sending out tons of consultation requests at 12 months.

16 minutes ago, rob7331 said:

Hey Guy73, I read your thread! Your results are amazing. Unfortunately I don't think I have it in me to do a third procedure ha ha, unless it was drastically necessary. I'm hoping for my second to give me most of what I'm looking for - my goals are pretty mild. Your journey is insanely impressive though.

Your thread also put Nader on my list! I'll be sending out tons of consultation requests at 12 months.

Many good doctors out there and Doctor Nader is one of them. Honestly the only reason I went for a third was my crown. I have my crown worked on in the first procedure but is was small because I have soo much loss in my front and the second procedure I did not have my crown touched. The 3rd was really for my crown but I did ask if he could squeeze more in the front. I guess my suggestion to you is possibly use someone that uses the DHI method of implanting so you can achieve a tight result. Others may or may not agree here but you and I both have light fine hair and we need that dense pack to look full. Good luck! 

Edited by Guy73

• 4 weeks later...

What's up everybody, hope the weather is as nice for you as it is here in Toronto.

6 months today. Considerable growth but patchiness and thinness still evident, especially under harsh light. Low light is actually not too bad. Definitely gonna get that second procedure as soon as I can.

Looking at a lot of clinics right now, but I'm especially researching Eugenix and Cinik. Seeing lots of good results coming out of there from real life patients, which is what I value most. I'm also fairly certain I'll need to use beard grafts cause I'm not sure my donor is that great, so Eugenix would be a natural choice (they've also done lots of large restorations, which is nice). I've had online consultations w both so far and Skype'd with Dr. Arika, who is great.

Goals w second transplant:

1. Slightly lower hairline a few mm

2. Thicken up frontal third (previous area)

3. Put some in the crown

Dr. Arika might be the ticket! The only saving grace is that the previous transplant will be helpful to have already filled out the front a bit, so a good surgeon (I'm thinking with DHT or DHI) can navigate between the hairs and add density. I'm actually feeling pretty positive about the whole thing.

Let me know your thoughts.

IMG_4291.JPG

IMG_4292.JPG

IMG_4293.JPG

IMG_4297.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG

IMG_4313.JPG

IMG_4317.JPG

IMG_4319.JPG

I have been in your situation. Dr. Nader I would say did a great job on me and two of my friends. He is worth a look! I have received density of a non balding person and it’s tough to do with light hair. 😀

• Administrators

Six months is too early to be looking for other options. I would say be patient and give it at least another four months before considering another procedure. Things are improving. Be patient, easier said than done, but it's important.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks for your posts guys! Nader is on my "long list" so I'm definitely gonna look at him closely Guy73. You're totally right Melvin, like I mentioned in my first post if anything happens it'll be after 12 months. That's my bad, I thought I made that clear earlier.

That said, I think it's pretty clear if you look at the earlier photos (and especially post op) that 2200 was not enough for the area covered. And with the thin blonde hair I have (like others have pointed out) a second procedure is almost definitely necessary to achieve a decent look. So I disagree that six months is too early to be looking at other options - anything I learn now will only help me in the long run.

@rob7331 when you look at your 10 -15 post op usually you can tell right off the bat if your going to need a second. Not always but once you grasp the ideal spacing for your hair type it seems that way. I mean I know they can only go so close and it’s kinda a “Hail Mary” to pack them in tight and hope for the best first pass.