FUE - 2700 Rahal 5/2019

@John Doe I know it seems like a long time but you're not at the final result. Some patients see results faster than others. We will have a better idea in a few more months so let's give it more time. We're here if you have any questions and of course we'll be in touch. 

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it's a matter of waiting to see if new hairs will pop up in that area. There was no hairs implanted in that missing gap to begin with it looks like.  My only question is WHY?  What was the surgeons strategy for leaving that gap???  Very odd ...  ALso your donor area looks noticeable.  Is this your first HT?  I know thats what it's supposed to look like in the first 4-5 months due to shock loss in the donor area, but you are well past that period.  8 months already damn 

Edited by therealmvp2016

2 hours ago, therealmvp2016 said:

I don't think it's a matter of waiting to see if new hairs will pop up in that area. There was no hairs implanted in that missing gap to begin with it looks like.  My only question is WHY?  What was the surgeons strategy for leaving that gap???  Very odd ...  ALso your donor area looks noticeable.  Is this your first HT?  I know thats what it's supposed to look like in the first 4-5 months due to shock loss in the donor area, but you are well past that period.  8 months already damn 

My First HT. I agree donor is noticeable. I don’t mind growing it slightly longer on sides and back so that’s not a huge deal to me. It’ll be 8 months around January 13. Some hairs have thickened and given slightly better coverage, but the problem areas and gaps from the beginning still remain and will not change between now and 12 months+ as everyone has rightfully said.  I will post pictures again at 8 and 9 months, but probably not again past that unless there’s any miraculous change in density. 

Actually, the only logical reason would be if there was still remaining hair in that area (which is now shocked out permanently). We would require more pics to make a better investigation on that. Donor effect is a little amplified by unequal length and lightning IMO. 

Anyway, I think you should try to let it grow and see how it looks (I disagree that it looks better short). In parallel you could try to fix it with a small unshaven/partly shaven FUE

In a few month you will look great IMO and all the stress is gone. 

5 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

Actually, the only logical reason would be if there was still remaining hair in that area (which is now shocked out permanently). We would require more pics to make a better investigation on that. Donor effect is a little amplified by unequal length and lightning IMO. 

Anyway, I think you should try to let it grow and see how it looks (I disagree that it looks better short). In parallel you could try to fix it with a small unshaven/partly shaven FUE

In a few month you will look great IMO and all the stress is gone. 

No shock loss. The pics on page one speak for themselves 

5 minutes ago, John Doe said:

No shock loss. The pics on page one speak for themselves 

No they do not. The entire front is obviously razor shaved. With the pics we have we cannot simply say, that there was no (weakened) hair in that area. To be honest: I do not think it is likely as left sides seems to be the weaker one. 

25 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

No they do not. The entire front is obviously razor shaved. With the pics we have we cannot simply say, that there was no (weakened) hair in that area. To be honest: I do not think it is likely as left sides seems to be the weaker one. 

These pictures don’t make it apparent to you the problem area where grafts weren’t placed was bare skin and not a razor shave and shock loss as you somehow think is possible? I have razor shaved my head many times and you still see hair, not completely bare skin. Density and hair thickening I will continue to give time as I’m not even at month 8 yet, but every poster in this thread other than you agrees minimal grafts were placed in the bare area that’s been my concern since day 1.

EAB7CA00-2477-4EBB-951E-AB4C9A87A82B.jpeg

D8AEE489-66AC-4276-8C6A-D474BD0B1841.jpeg

9701129F-C859-4383-8D93-53C5C684635F.jpeg

08E64F52-C3DB-4EDC-A835-66C1C376AA43.jpeg

816F24CF-E607-4D57-87CD-A2D758A232A0.jpeg

1A638EAC-91B7-4CEA-AA07-89B3555BA193.jpeg

Edited by John Doe

Yes, I think it is possible (but not likely). You have light hair and it appears different colour on different areas. DHT sensitive and weakend hair is thinner and lighter too. This hair can be easy missed on such pics in case it was razor shaved. For me it appears (!) to be the area just on the border between hair and no hair (a pre-op pic before shaving but with hairline design would clarify). 

But do not misunderstand me: It is clear (!) too few grafts have been planted anyway (as I do not believe hair will grow back after 8 month). The question is only if it was mis-judgement (can happen) or simply lazy-work (should never happen) by the clinic. The third reason would be: Blood flow was poor in that reason and that is why they planted less grafts - but then I assume they would have informed you. 

If it is what you think there is no reason to panic. A second pass would solve your issues (but maybe with another clinic if the do not come with a great explanation). 

@John Doe

Hi John Doe, really sorry to say this but that gap will 100% NOT have hair grow in, and the gap situation can only be solved by a 2nd touch up procedure. I went through something very similar myself, except my gap was even larger and more apparent. For the first 6 months after my HT, I convinced myself that this gap was shock loss, it will grow back, etc. But the thing is, as you already know, if there was no hair there to begin with, then there is no hair to grow..... 

It was incredibly painful for me to accept the reality of the situation, that I had had a botched transplant, and having to go through the stress and drama of a 2nd surgery. I was INCREDIBLY disappointed in the doctor who did my procedure. Why didnt she just put more grafts in? WTF who would have thought that was ok? My doctor is essentially an unknown/amateur in Denver, Colorado, so I am surprised that this happened to you at a more well-known clinic with a well-known doctor. 

Good news is you have Dr. Rahal by the b*lls now. He said he would do the touch up for free. If you don't want this clinic going near your hair a 2nd time (who says they wont screw up the touch up procedure?) - find a HT doctor closer to you who you trust to do the repair, get a quote, then DEMAND to the Rahal clinic they pay for the touch up

Shock Loss LOL.jpg

@John Doe

Also, in the interim between now and your 2nd procedure, longer hair is better than short hair as you have it in terms of gap concealment. Also Toppik may help as well. It can be inconvenient at first, but if you make applying Toppik a daily habit it becomes no different than brushing your teeth, putting in contacts, etc. 

I am in NO WAY saying this gap is ok or acceptable in any way, but longer hair + Toppik might be 2 good temporary measures to take. 

This really isn’t a disaster of a result. You had 2700 grafts put into a large area and it looks like you got a pretty good yield. They were spaced apart and weren’t densely packed but overly dense packing can lead to lower yields and scalp damage which you didn’t get. The work was done cleanly and they grew out fine. You definitely may have experienced shock loss which is always a risk. I wouldn’t hang my head if I were you. Whether you go back to Rahal or go with another doc you’re gonna end up with a great result. 

17 minutes ago, Sam818 said:

This really isn’t a disaster of a result. You had 2700 grafts put into a large area and it looks like you got a pretty good yield. They were spaced apart and weren’t densely packed but overly dense packing can lead to lower yields and scalp damage which you didn’t get. The work was done cleanly and they grew out fine. You definitely may have experienced shock loss which is always a risk. I wouldn’t hang my head if I were you. Whether you go back to Rahal or go with another doc you’re gonna end up with a great result. 

Completely agree, in addition, the doctor has every interest in doing an excellent retouch, and he was honest in offering it for free, I assure you that it is not for everyone.  I advise you to go back to him.

On 12/23/2019 at 3:13 PM, Egy said:

Completely agree, in addition, the doctor has every interest in doing an excellent retouch, and he was honest in offering it for free, I assure you that it is not for everyone.  I advise you to go back to him.

Can’t argue with either of you and things could be worse. If the problem area had more grafts placed I’d wait a few years to do touchup for density. With the way it is now, I want to do a follow up touchup 12-14 months after surgery. 

Edited by John Doe

30 minutes ago, John Doe said:

I think you read the wrong. I’m not against going back. I’ll make a decision after 12 months 

Forgive me, I use the google translator to read and write on this forum, in fact I had misunderstood, sorry anchors, even if in any case I only wrote to you to do as you see fit.  In any case, you do well to wait for 12 months and then you will take your own and only your decree.

On 12/9/2019 at 5:59 PM, Dr. Rahal said:

@John Doe I know it seems like a long time but you're not at the final result. Some patients see results faster than others. We will have a better idea in a few more months so let's give it more time. We're here if you have any questions and of course we'll be in touch. 

please stop to say he needs to wait and be honest. 
There is a gap between his native and his transplanted hair. It was visible from day 1. the only two thing that can fix that problem are a new Ht or Lourdes' water based lotion.

• 3 weeks later...

8 months. There has been some improvement, but the lack of hairs between my native hair and new hairline is glaring. I have to cover up the problem areas with toppik and I can’t style my hair how I intended when I went through getting a hair transplant.  Hair is sparse enough in areas where I apply toppik that it goes straight onto my scalp.  Counting down the days until I can get this fixed. Attached dry and wet photos 

4BA7F869-F385-4629-9927-2EEEF6E49B4D.jpeg

B3248B56-2CEB-4391-B387-ECDEC10FF271.jpeg

D74EAB0C-6638-44B0-A72F-702D1BCF49A9.jpeg

B59AE0DA-1FB7-4834-B6C7-64038BA7F391.jpeg

2F31DC8A-3D53-45E1-A30A-8A452C066A13.jpeg

92B14229-8124-4140-9CD5-8D8C1082B115.jpeg

F6D4651D-6FF5-4A8C-86CE-B81D9041E1C2.jpeg

Unfortunate how this turned out, 2700 should have given better results, overall your hair situation is not bad but I still can't understand the reason behind the empty pattern. You should demand an explanation from the clinic, was it a mistake? did they run out of grafts? That should not have happened especially at an experienced clinic like Rahal's. The good thing is that the clinic stands by their work and offered you a free touch, anyways good luck and hope you get this fixed.