FUE - 2700 Rahal 5/2019

I'm at month four and the area that I circled as a concern on May 18 isn't coming in, which I'm not really surprised since you can see there's a lack of grafts before shedding.  If I look down or you see the top of my head, there's an obvious gap which I don't see filling in.  I don't know how well it will be covered when I grow my hair out. 

What's the lowest numbers of grafts a dr would do for a touch up?

18 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

you should grow your hair out to see what it will start to look like. don’t panic just yet. you are early in the result stage

I was finally starting to grow it out, then like a week ago it looked so rough with everything else growing longer and the bald patches that I cut my hair to make it blend better.  I need to just lose my hair clippers so when I get the urge to cut it again, I can't 😂

• 4 weeks later...

5 months. Still concerned with my right side and the gap between my original hairline. I saw a picture of me outside and it was extremely obvious. Co workers say it’s noticable. That’s why I keep cutting my hair short since it’s less noticeable that way. If they didn’t do enough grafts there, I will be unhappy. Especially since the lack of grafts is right in front and if my natural hair recedes, it will look terrible. 

A24667DF-C40A-4A1F-88FE-1CCA5D504C90.jpeg

05828703-904D-4665-A76E-AFF53FBC5BB9.jpeg

B56EF05A-0DDE-47B0-8934-3B683994F009.jpeg

6DA231FA-2A62-473D-9EBC-AC7724AE0EB7.jpeg

E5ECF944-B76F-4AF7-A77A-0AE57122FB74.jpeg

You can tell post op that there is an empty pattern in the middle, how did they let you go like that? people are going to tell you that's it's too early and that things will change but it won't, I hope I am wrong but I don't think hair is going to magically appear in that area since there were no grafts implanted in there anyways. I suggest you to let your hair grow out the next 2 month and draw your conclusion you will be able to see things better and send your doctor picture. This seems like a poorly planned hair transplant, I am not really surprised Rahal is very overrated just like Asmed but they have a huge pr and marketing team behind them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

You can tell post op that there is an empty pattern in the middle, how did they let you go like that? people are going to tell you that's it's too early and that things will change but it won't, I hope I am wrong but I don't think hair is going to magically appear in that area since there were no grafts implanted in there anyways. I suggest you to let your hair grow out the next 2 month and draw your conclusion you will be able to see things better and send your doctor picture. This seems like a poorly planned hair transplant, I am not really surprised Rahal is very overrated just like Asmed but they have a huge pr and marketing team behind them.

I agree with you. I don’t understand why they would implant hairs in my existing hairline, but leave gaps like they did. 

Don’t worry John 

Rahal will tweak anything that needs it. He is not one to deny when things things don’t go as well as they could have. So you are safe on that end. Let it grow out though to get the full effect. The area you are concerned about is a small area and an easy fix to add some density. He will probably do it for free as well. He is that kind of guy. Don’t think about it for now but let it grow out. Take pics of the area monthly like you have been and it will show the area did not reject the grafts but that none were placed. It won’t take much to fill and he will fill others areas that were transplanted but didn’t grow too. So it’s a win win. Oh and he will probably do this one himself since it os in their design. Good luck. 

Edited by rev333

@John Doe thanks for sharing your experience! Not to worry. At four months, things are just starting to take off. It's normal to see gaps as you experience shedding. How do I know? I also had a hair transplant 🙂 

Believe me, I've been there. You're at the "ugly duckling stage." Remember, it's normal for one side to grow faster than the other. It's normal to see gaps. All part of the process. At around six months, things will start to blend. And even then you still have a long way to go. 

Everything looks great but for your peace of mind (not that you have anything to worry about 🙂 touchups are always free. If you need one. Our number one goal is that you're happy, it's that simple. So hang in there and try to forget about it for the next few months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.

1 hour ago, Dr. Rahal said:

@John Doe thanks for sharing your experience! Not to worry. At four months, things are just starting to take off. It's normal to see gaps as you experience shedding. How do I know? I also had a hair transplant 🙂 

Believe me, I've been there. You're at the "ugly duckling stage." Remember, it's normal for one side to grow faster than the other. It's normal to see gaps. All part of the process. At around six months, things will start to blend. And even then you still have a long way to go. 

Everything looks great but for your peace of mind (not that you have anything to worry about 🙂 touchups are always free. If you need one. Our number one goal is that you're happy, it's that simple. So hang in there and try to forget about it for the next few months.

Thank you for responding.  I'll give it time and hope that no touchup is needed.  

I'll give it time and hope that no touchup is needed.  

@John Doe you're only at four months so get that thought out of your head 🙂 I'm a very good feeling everything will be just fine. And remember, we have your back! Our awesome patient care team would have been in contact a bunch of times by now. But feel free to PM me also, ok? I had a hair transplant and definitely know how you're feeling. Here any time.

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.

5 hours ago, John Doe said:

Thank you for responding.  I'll give it time and hope that no touchup is needed.  

I am a bit confused are you at the 4 or 5 month mark? 4 months is too early but from what I gathered you had your hair transplant on may 12 so you are at the 5 month mark, you should def see improvement now, also you have to grow your hair for the next 2 months otherwise it will be difficult to tell if things are heading in the right direction, either way the doctor offered a free touch up so it's not the end of the world this can be fixed so kudos to them but I still don't understand the empty pattern in the middle, did you lower your hairline and did you have native hair in that area so the doctor decided not to put any grafts there? I am a bit confused, anyways time will tell the next 2 months are crucial, either way it can be fixed, best of luck.

4 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

I am a bit confused are you at the 4 or 5 month mark? 4 months is too early but from what I gathered you had your hair transplant on may 12 so you are at the 5 month mark, you should def see improvement now, also you have to grow your hair for the next 2 months otherwise it will be difficult to tell if things are heading in the right direction, either way the doctor offered a free touch up so it's not the end of the world this can be fixed so kudos to them but I still don't understand the empty pattern in the middle, did you lower your hairline and did you have native hair in that area so the doctor decided not to put any grafts there? I am a bit confused, anyways time will tell the next 2 months are crucial, either way it can be fixed, best of luck.

Im at 5 months. I was receding some and lowered my hairline..and the area where the empty pattern is had no hair prior to transplant

Edited by John Doe

@Abi28 Since everyone is different, some patients see results faster or slower. Depends. Below is a range that takes into account both. 

- 3-6 months. First signs of growth, It will be patchy, light density, some areas will grow faster than others. Maybe the right or the left, depends. You will also notice pimples. All normal. This is the toughest time for patients! The area might still be red, maybe there is some shedding. It's called the "ugly duckling stage." Here are some posts from other forum members about it

- 6-9 months. Thin areas, patchy areas start to fill in, fine hairs start to thicken. You will notice less pimples. And start to be satisfied with the HT, but not 100% satisfied. First jump in density. You will be excited for what's to come. You also start to get more confident with the HT, when you realize others can't tell. They might say, "you look different, younger, good." But they don't know why.

- 9-12 months. Some growth - but fine hairs mature mostly. Second increase/jump in density. You will be 90% happy. Maybe a couple of areas. But overall happy. You will also notice that some hairs have a mind of their. All normal. They need to go through a couple of cycles to mature, take on the same characteristics. You may also want to tweak come spots, couple of hairs here, couple there. All 100% covered with our growth guarantee. 

- 12-15 months - Things start to come together. Hairs mature and everything flows when styling your hair You will know what I mean then. 

- 15-24 - you start to get more confident with the HT. And actually forget you had one. 

I hope this helps!

On 10/9/2019 at 9:34 AM, Dr. Rahal said:

@Abi28 Since everyone is different, some patients see results faster or slower. Depends. Below is a range that takes into account both. 

- 3-6 months. First signs of growth, It will be patchy, light density, some areas will grow faster than others. Maybe the right or the left, depends. You will also notice pimples. All normal. This is the toughest time for patients! The area might still be red, maybe there is some shedding. It's called the "ugly duckling stage." Here are some posts from other forum members about it

- 6-9 months. Thin areas, patchy areas start to fill in, fine hairs start to thicken. You will notice less pimples. And start to be satisfied with the HT, but not 100% satisfied. First jump in density. You will be excited for what's to come. You also start to get more confident with the HT, when you realize others can't tell. They might say, "you look different, younger, good." But they don't know why.

- 9-12 months. Some growth - but fine hairs mature mostly. Second increase/jump in density. You will be 90% happy. Maybe a couple of areas. But overall happy. You will also notice that some hairs have a mind of their. All normal. They need to go through a couple of cycles to mature, take on the same characteristics. You may also want to tweak come spots, couple of hairs here, couple there. All 100% covered with our growth guarantee. 

- 12-15 months - Things start to come together. Hairs mature and everything flows when styling your hair You will know what I mean then. 

- 15-24 - you start to get more confident with the HT. And actually forget you had one. 

I hope this helps!

I’m confused on this response. His concern was from the very beginning right after the transplant where there was an obvious gap in the implanted areas that continue to be noticeable to month 5. How will hair grow if no grafts were densely enough implanted there?

Hi @Runandy Hairs may have shed post-op or possibly temporary shock loss (which always grows back).

Having had three hair transplants myself, it's normal to see gaps. It's also normal for patients 3 to 6 months to have questions around this time, say the right side grows faster than the left-or vice versa. All normal. Hairs don't shed at the same time. Same with growth. Around this time, everything is patchy. There's peaks and valleys. Bottom line, it's just too early to tell.

It's always helpful to reference the guideline posted. Every patient falls within this range. In this case, were here...

3-6 months. First signs of growth, It will be patchy, light density, some areas will grow faster than others. Maybe the right or the left, depends. You will also notice pimples. All normal. This is the toughest time for patients! The area might still be red, maybe there is some shedding. It's called the "ugly duckling stage." Here are some posts from other forum members about it

Hope this helps!

8 hours ago, Dr. Rahal said:

Hi @Runandy Hairs may have shed post-op or possibly temporary shock loss (which always grows back).

Having had three hair transplants myself, it's normal to see gaps. It's also normal for patients 3 to 6 months to have questions around this time, say the right side grows faster than the left-or vice versa. All normal. Hairs don't shed at the same time. Same with growth. Around this time, everything is patchy. There's peaks and valleys. Bottom line, it's just too early to tell.

It's always helpful to reference the guideline posted. Every patient falls within this range. In this case, were here...

3-6 months. First signs of growth, It will be patchy, light density, some areas will grow faster than others. Maybe the right or the left, depends. You will also notice pimples. All normal. This is the toughest time for patients! The area might still be red, maybe there is some shedding. It's called the "ugly duckling stage." Here are some posts from other forum members about it

Hope this helps!

HT mentor? That you?

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

I don't want to be over dramatic but things are not looking good for you bud especially at 6 months, sorry to see this.

I pretty much agree with you. It’s more glaring when I’m outside too. A rep of Rahals messaged me on here a couple weeks ago and said they’d touch it up for free so we’ll see. Gonna give it until 12 months to see if it’s still patchy looking then. Will have to take another 2 weeks off work and pay for travel again 

• 4 weeks later...

7 months in. A little bit of growth and thickening, but all the troubled areas I was worried about after surgery still remain. I can only style my hair combing it over to the right to conceal the problem areas. Not enough density at my hairline either. If I wanting to style by flipping my bangs up, my hairline is see through. I have seen minimal new hairs in the past 2-3 weeks 

50C130C5-0F2C-403A-A2FE-BFB912D5492A.jpeg

E18D7FAB-A34A-43A7-8B69-E77D9BC4EAAF.jpeg

45BEA741-1548-4DE9-8525-0266AD43AB64.jpeg

8A47C52A-FFCB-4DCA-A5B9-1210D8A674BB.jpeg

B0708689-0937-41F8-8A19-41CA191F46BB.jpeg

79F743C9-9165-4B95-A225-55EE15815A96.jpeg

8C382CD7-DD46-4BE9-9702-260A7485D180.jpeg

CDC20428-6568-4E14-B6D6-46A2E592E515.jpeg

B539C971-E829-440D-94A5-AB847C837D37.jpeg

Edited by John Doe

Damn! I was pulling for you but now that you’re at almost at your 7th month, I have to be honest, it’s not looking good and disappointing to see, especially for 2,700 grafts, and yours is not the only Rahal case with an issue like this that I’ve seen on this forum sadly, I’m not going to assume and make comments on what is going on with the clinic but I hope you do see more improvement over the next 5-11 months, and you just may.

Edited by CosmoKramer
  • Like 2

Disappointing indeed, sorry that this happened to you, you paid a lot of money and the results are very poor especially for 2700 grafts. Something seemed off from the start with the empty pattern you had in the middle, this is very unacceptable, not sure how your procedure was planned and what was the goal there but the surgery failed. You need more than 1000 graft to fix the density even if the hair gets thicker in the next few months. I know the clinic offered you a free touch up but do you really wanna go back? if I were you I would ask for a partial refund and not go back again. Let your hair grow for the next few months and start consulting with other doctors at the 10-12 months and see what your options are. Don't stress too much because this can be fixed, best of luck.

• Like 2