Two FUE Hair Transplants - 5992 grafts - at HDC with Dr. Maras

Seesaw

1 hour ago, HTHope said:

No I was just complimenting your hair characteristics bro.

That's a lot of grafts in the bank. Did you mention the small area that you noted as overharvested? What was their response?

Oh thanks man. I should have just gone with thank you haha. 

The core of my donor zone in the back is still  healthy (added a photo), and I think that in their effort to preserve that as much as possible, and spread the extraction around the entire donor, they might have extracted too much from the sides. I have not brought the small overharvested area to them yet. I wanted to see first if some folks here would agree that it was over harvested. I would appreciate your opinion on this one. 

34F2B915-C99D-40AA-A31E-5A5653083D49.png

yeah it looks like you have plenty more in the back. I too have an area on the side that looks overharvested in the upper and lower regions. I think its a little more common than we think. Most people probably wont notice it tho. It sucks tho because I used to be able to fade it down to a #1 and now i'm not even sure if i can do a 2.

22 minutes ago, HTHope said:

yeah it looks like you have plenty more in the back. I too have an area on the side that looks overharvested in the upper and lower regions. I think its a little more common than we think. Most people probably wont notice it tho. It sucks tho because I used to be able to fade it down to a #1 and now i'm not even sure if i can do a 2.

Yeah not being able to fade it down is exactly why the overharvest is bugging me. Fades are all the rage these days. 

56 minutes ago, Seesaw said:

Yeah not being able to fade it down is exactly why the overharvest is bugging me. Fades are all the rage these days. 

Do you have pics of your donor after like 5-7 days?

15 hours ago, HTHope said:

Do you have pics of your donor after like 5-7 days?

I don’t. I didn’t take any for the first week after surgery, because I never figured they’d be useful. There were some scabs and crusts left at 5 days. I recall that at 7 days, I was overall in good enough shape to leave the house and visit friends, and only a little redness was left. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It’s been 6 months since my second hair transplant and I’m continuing to see improvements. The frontal half is filling in nicely but the crown area is still visibly bald. My hair looks best in indoor environments without harsh lighting, which is what I understand to be the norm with hair transplants. I tried to capture some photos in both soft and harsh lighting. 
The donor area is recovering well and is showing less signs of the over-harvesting that I was concerned about in my last update. 

In one of the photos below, I circled in red the areas where I would like to see improvement. 

0FB708DB-8F05-464F-B96A-50081C4515E3.jpeg

41AD0150-F32A-48F5-923B-948AF46A7096.jpeg

2E0BC4A2-DD9A-412B-8F9F-A9F380BED9DD.jpeg

DA05E38C-5CBB-44A0-AB38-56F891B7C8B8.jpeg

E18A5CFF-2F1D-4BAB-B0EE-CCC6A04B7388.jpeg

62F9B67E-ADA5-4AFF-87C6-41C5CA01A34F.jpeg

F1F7FEA9-77D8-4947-8C4E-ACC403186E35.jpeg

1C2C86FE-4CEE-4E1F-A54E-5416B6B59D9F.jpeg

ED58FD59-3851-4CC8-9112-C6C934602892.jpeg

C1B259BE-36FA-4464-8651-640EBDBCF591.jpeg

5FBA045B-0347-4A07-9D36-F6B4C00FA167.jpeg

10419512-4D28-4716-B578-9DDC5C783462.jpeg

4B3D05E3-2AD4-48D5-9942-DF67BF9477FD.jpeg

01FA816C-E1F5-4854-940B-2F2752B6B533.jpeg

Edited by Seesaw
Typo error

• Administrators

Wow looking fantastic man 👏🏼

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Wow it’s night and day compared to from where you first started! Crown looks to still have quite a few hairs that need to thicken and mature which should provide you with a marked cosmetic improvement over the next 6 months, and even then, you’l have enough reserves to stick in a couple hundred extra multis if you wanted! Very impressed with your hairline and frontal 3rd! 

21 hours ago, Curious25 said:

Wow it’s night and day compared to from where you first started! Crown looks to still have quite a few hairs that need to thicken and mature which should provide you with a marked cosmetic improvement over the next 6 months, and even then, you’l have enough reserves to stick in a couple hundred extra multis if you wanted! Very impressed with your hairline and frontal 3rd! 

Thanks man, it sure is a big difference from 2-3 years ago. I look at my old photos and the big improvement keeps me grounded and sensible, and not too picky about the density in every little  area of my scalp. I hope that the thickening helps cover the crown sufficiently that I don’t need any further transplants, but like you said, there is enough reserves for further touch up. The clinic said that I have another 2000 grafts left for a third surgery, and my plan for now is to save them for further hair loss in the side humps. 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, asterix0 said:

Just wanted to say results look really good man! Are you on finasteride to protect the hairs? 

This result is making me strongly consider Dr.Maras

Thanks man!

I’m not on Finasteride. I figured since the hair in my front third and vertex was basically gone before surgery, there is not much native left to protect, so I didn’t think that it would help me much. Based on my limited reading about it, it would not help much with hair from the donor zone, as that hair isn’t as sensitive to DHT as natives. HDC didn’t particularly say that they recommend it but they did caution that in 15-20 years I could be looking at further long term hair loss. Would you recommend I consider it? 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Seesaw said:

Thanks man!

I’m not on Finasteride. I figured since the hair in my front third and vertex was basically gone before surgery, there is not much native left to protect, so I didn’t think that it would help me much. Based on my limited reading about it, it would not help much with hair from the donor zone, as that hair isn’t as sensitive to DHT as natives. HDC didn’t particularly say that they recommend it but they did caution that in 15-20 years I could be looking at further long term hair loss. Would you recommend I consider it? 

If you haven’t tried it, give it a shot. It’s definitely worth trying.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, Seesaw said:

Thanks man!

I would recommend it. In some cases, even the donor is susceptible to male pattern baldness unfortunately. That may not be your case, but it would just provide extra protection/piece of mind to protect your hair.

I have seen guys who went Norwood 7 who have DUPA / thin donor areas. It is unlikely this will happen to you though, but one never knows with this disease.

If you don't tolerate it, of course you can stop taking it. 

There are some treatments coming up the pipeline that may be able to replace finasteride, such as Breezula, but these are still up in the air. I'm personally taking finasteride until there is a better alternative to use instead.

Edited by asterix0

• 1 month later...

Hello fellas following my thread, here are some photos from mid-August, at 8 months post-op. At that time, I tried - unsuccessfully I might add - to give myself a fade haircut at home. There is some small improvement from the last update. I don’t know if density is going to improve much further but I’m satisfied so far. 

I’m also strongly considering taking finasteride based on the recommendation by Asterix0 and Melvin, and I’ll be talking to my general physician for a prescription when I see him later this month. 

6AF1EE30-DE2F-470C-8F01-5C356A012DED.jpeg

18A5F8C7-07F1-415F-830D-CFF285A3ADDD.jpeg

3BA34378-270E-4C3E-97D0-9AD5761349DC.jpeg

36878D9A-E29A-4512-A604-D003F1E3A602.jpeg

CCC0C58C-FF34-403B-A76F-60F42D49ED5B.jpeg

6914B76B-B56E-454B-9EAD-139C0C38564C.jpeg

D490A398-A884-4CFB-B015-7A3B6977DC57.jpeg

Edited by Seesaw

• Administrators

Looks fantastic, donor looks really good short too 👏🏼

View my thread

• Valued Contributor

@Seesaw Your continued results are remarkable and Completely unremarkable. These are both compliments! It’s remarkable to us forum members following along with your journey. From your starting point to where you are now...? Bro, it’s amazing. It has completely reframed your face.

When I say it’s completely unremarkable that’s because anybody you meet for the first time from here on out is never going to look at you and say, “that guy has had a hair transplant.” No, you will look totally unremarkable to them. You’re just going to be a guy with an awesome, totally natural looking, full head of hair.

Your donor looks really good short. I believe your crown will show more signs of progress until 12 to 18 months, as well.

Man, I’m seriously impressed with this result. Congratulations!