Guarantees??

I've consulted with a few surgeons on this forum and 3 so far are saying they cannot provide a guarantee due to the nature of surgery with too much being out of the hands of the surgeon, etc. But a few do provide guarantees.

What should our expectations be as far as patients as we are all potentially paying a great sum of money for a procedure that is important to all of us?

When you put money into a slot machine, the only guarantee is that you will get to pull the handle but you must live with the outcome.

You can enter into the contract with reasonable expectations of the outcome based on the skill of the surgeon and his track record of the procedure but your own body may sabotage you.

Do your research, find a reputable professional surgeon with a good track record and you minimize your risks of failure

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I actually have done my research and had consultations with 10-12 surgeons over the past 5 years and here are guarantees I've been given that include US based surgeons including 2 recommended on this forum (and we're not talking about Bosley or any chop shops)

guarantees an 85% graft survival rate, which is measured at the 6 month and 12 month post-op visits. Lower survival rates will be offered re-grafting at no additional charge)

If any transplanted hair does not grow, we will perform the transplant again to that area for a small facility fee.

As part of our warranty, if there is a difference of 30 % or greater to the surgery result/ hair density as agreed during the consultation process after 1year of surgery, re-surgery will be performed FREE of charge.

90% guarantee or regrafting after 1 year

Edited by buzzbee

Okay - then let's get to the heart of your real question.

What should our expectations be as far as patients?

Expect a good outcome and then if you don't get it, make them follow-up on their promises.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Thanks Voxman for your feedback. Over the past several years of researching and comparing surgeons here are the top things I look for:

1) Proven results via photos and videos and forum posts

2) Cost

3) Whether they offer any type of guarantee

Without going into names, my current top 3 surgeons (all forum recommended) all have told me they cannot offer a guarantee and they mention because a lot of things are out of their control such as how patients follow protocol and just the unpredictable nature of the surgery.

I get it that they can do a perfect job and results may not be perfect due to the reasons I stated. But the fact that some other surgeons offer guarantees of re-grafting based on 1 year results makes me question why the others will not and I understand it's not good business to do free work, although client satisfaction based on results should also be important to a business. So far of the recommended forum surgeons that I have consulted, roughly 4 don't offer any type of guarantee and 2 do. 2 others who aren't recommended offer guarantees.

That said, if given a choice to go with one that offers a re-graft guarantee based on growth results, and all things are even (they are a recommended forum surgeon, price is similar and results are good) is there any reason not to choose the one that offers the guarantee over the one that doesn't?

Ultimately I'm going to go with the surgeon that I feel will do the best work in a price range that I can afford and the guarantee just helps with peace of mind, although it's not make or break.

Edited by buzzbee

Always get a copy of the surgery contract well ahead of signing it and then and only then will you see what assurances and conversely what disclaimers are there.

I have yet in 4 decades to see any surgery contract that provides any guarantee as to the outcome of any cosmetic surgery procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Guarantee doesn't mean much imo. We've all known of ppl who got 'guarantees' but when you get butchered you generally don't want to go back to the same person. Why would you? What happens is you get a full refund on the condition you can never mention it publicly.

If you care about your donor and expect you're going to need a lot of grafts long term, get the guarantee idea our of your head. I guess if you are on a budget and don't mind wasting lots of grafts potentially then I understand why you would want a guarantee.

Think about if from the Drs perspective. The 'guarantee' is a great marketing tool for them to attract more patients: Worst case they have to do a touch up or refund the person on the condition they don't mention it publicly. Not much risk on their end.

No one should be making guarantees of growth, but whatever person is guaranteeing you 85 percent doesn't sound confident in their work, because so long as your physiology is cooperative and you follow post op procedures delicately as directed, modern techniques more often than not provide 90 percent plus growth for FUT procedures performed by capable hands.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• 4 weeks later...
I actually have done my research and had consultations with 10-12 surgeons over the past 5 years and here are guarantees I've been given that include US based surgeons including 2 recommended on this forum (and we're not talking about Bosley or any chop shops)

guarantees an 85% graft survival rate, which is measured at the 6 month and 12 month post-op visits. Lower survival rates will be offered re-grafting at no additional charge)

If any transplanted hair does not grow, we will perform the transplant again to that area for a small facility fee.

As part of our warranty, if there is a difference of 30 % or greater to the surgery result/ hair density as agreed during the consultation process after 1year of surgery, re-surgery will be performed FREE of charge.

90% guarantee or regrafting after 1 year

Which doctore are the ones giving the guarantees got some names ?

Clinic do not give refunds, period. They do at times offer another procedure at a reduced charge or in some cases, no charge.

The dilemma is that the patient does not have the money to go see a different surgeon and they end up being land locked to the doctor where they received an unsatisfactory result.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I'm surprised that any surgeon would offer a "guarantee" of a cosmetic procedure (or any medical procedure for that matter) and would be interested to see what those contracts specifically say in terms of that. Even the best surgeons in the world with the best track records can't control the way a person's body responds to a procedure... If you choose a top surgeon, can you greatly increase your odds of solid results? Yes. But a 100% guarantee? I just don't see how that's even possible.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

in 4 decades, I can count how many times I know of any "cash refund" made by any clinic on one hand with 4 fingers left...:confused:

Unless you see the actual cashed check, it's probably here say...:rolleyes:

Gillenator

There are plenty of doctors who have guarantees, a history of following through on them and ethical post-op actions with free touch ups and refunds in more serious cases.

No reason to go to a doctor who doesn't offer some sort of guarantee such as a 90% graft growth rate level, why go to a doctor who treats patients as if they are buying into a lottery? Any clinic that has a reasonable success rate will be happy to offer one as unless they are achieving unacceptable results very often as it will not be a serious financial hit to their business, and typically surgeons who do offer compensation for poor results will be received online as more ethical and patient friendly which is in itself good marketing.

US law in this regard is complicated and very much determined state by state, but typically the patient is likely to be protected for compensation in cases of negligence, results creating external complications that need to be fixed and require more money to do so, and those where the results were not outlined in the risks suggested by the doctor.

The industry is basically unregulated in the U.S.

Each state has an oversight board comprised of other licensed physicians but still, the industry itself is unregulated.

Whatever entitlements patients have related to HT procedures are governed by what is or is not embodied in the surgery contract.

Gillenator

"There are plenty of doctors who have guarantees, a history of following through on them and ethical post-op actions with free touch ups and refunds in more serious cases."" I doubt there is any doctor that will guarantee the success of a hair transplant in writing. You could have two patients that go to the same doctor for a HT, a competent doctor, everything Is the same, but the results vary. A doctor can't guarantee how an individual patient's physiology will react to a transplant and the level of success that will be achieved.

While state-of-the-art hair transplantation has a high success rate when performed by a highly skilled surgeon and team, every clinic will have some unsatisfactory results in their portfolio. Despite having all the boxed checked in terms of skill, experience and care, patient physiology is always the wild card.

In my experience, in the event of subpar results, ethical hair transplant clinics will typically offer a free or discounted followup procedure. I have also seen partial refunds offered in such cases. Full refunds are rare and typically reserved for cases where the poor results can be attributed to something specific or negligent performed on the part of the clinic.

Unfortunately but understandably, when a patient receives a poor result they may lose trust in the capabilities of their chosen hair restoration physician and become wary of undergoing a second transplant with them. For this reason, it's important to be aware in advance of the clinic's policy for handling such situations.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I remember being swayed by a guarantee. It just seemed to promote a since of confidence by the doctor. Having many friends and family who are lawyers, they reviewed the guarantee and ALL of them found loopholes. I already had my procedure anyway. I just could not wait any longer. In the end I was pleased, but if I had to have the guarantee honored- I don't think I would get very far.

There is more than one way to interpret your question. Is it all the grafts grew? Is it patient satisfaction? Is it a 100,000 mile or even a lifetime that the grafts remain or a lifetime of patient satisfaction?

I think the first one stated is what you are looking for. How would you determine if even 1 graft did not grow? I suppose that would take a tattoo to mark and number every recipient site.

Now to get even more down and dirty. What if an implanted follicular unit had three hairs and only 2 grew? The graft was successful. Or was it?

In the end, the chorus of voices with years of experience are saying: Do your research! In the end, you will have to hire someone you trust. My $.02 is look for someone passionate about being a true patient advocate, someone who demands only the best results.

ArochaAngel4247

Representative and Patient Educator for: Dr. Bernardino A. Arocha, Coalition Member. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are mine.

Ive known folks that have gotten full refunds, partial, touchups, etc. It is more common than most may think. Most may not be reported per agreements with doctors or clinics.

As far as regulation goes, there are factors that can force refunds. Ex: technician extractions as they were not surgeons, marketing fraud, emails stating one thing but doing something else. Etc etc etc