What's one issue that you feel never gets addressed in forum discussions?

I think these documented photos of meds alone by Dr. Bernstein are pretty remarkable and definitely suggest more consideration should be given to meds - which can always be discontinued. I'm quite sure if I had seen these photos first, I would have tried the meds before the transplant. Maybe meds wouldn't have had any effect, but for sure the transplant I had has caused me no end of problems.

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical-treatment/patient-photos/nggallery/page/1

I've always been surprised that forum members don't disclose and compare notes about how much surgeons quoted and/or charged them. To this day I believe that a lot of surgeons have different prices for certain demographics. As an Investment Banker living in New York, I know surgeons tried to push up the price per graft compared with what would be quoted for the McDonalds store manager from the Midwest. I got quoted by Hasson & Wong in US dollars when I know for a fact that Canadian residents get charged the same numeric amount, but in Canadian dollars giving them a substantial discount. I had to PM multiple patients before going on consultations, so I at least had an idea of what rate I could negotiate it down to. It would be helpful if posters were more upfront about what they were charged, so that the power can shift from surgeon to us.

I've always been surprised that forum members don't disclose and compare notes about how much surgeons quoted and/or charged them. To this day I believe that a lot of surgeons have different prices for certain demographics. As an Investment Banker living in New York, I know surgeons tried to push up the price per graft compared with what would be quoted for the McDonalds store manager from the Midwest. I got quoted by Hasson & Wong in US dollars when I know for a fact that Canadian residents get charged the same numeric amount, but in Canadian dollars giving them a substantial discount. I had to PM multiple patients before going on consultations, so I at least had an idea of what rate I could negotiate it down to. It would be helpful if posters were more upfront about what they were charged, so that the power can shift from surgeon to us.

Well said

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Seriously? The H&W thing might be attributed to a different price for foreign patients, which is probably OK but adjusting based on your profession?

Technicians do most of the surgery in FUE. What are their qualifications? How long have they been doing FUE? If the doctor isn't doing the majority of my work then I want to know more about who is and their qualifications to perform surgery.

Well said!....;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

There is one clinic in particular that is shocking me with this phenomenon recently, have been seeing it here and there on the forum of late. I've had good experiences with them so don't want to openly name them.

I guess it just makes us realize that people really have to do a lot of research over 1-2 years time before actually choosing a surgeon to go with.

Be careful, proceed cautiously and don't listen to any hype when choosing a surgeon.

Yep I think we're thinking of one the same clinics. I have a lot of respect for the Dr who is super ethical and stands by the work always .

However some where in their process is a problem and way too many guys are needing touch ups and wasting grafts in the process. I know from speaking to a lot offline too who don't post about it.

Really hope They sort it out. Historically they have been a good clinic .

Seriously? The H&W thing might be attributed to a different price for foreign patients, which is probably OK but adjusting based on your profession?

Yeah, I dont think for a minute that H&W adjusts their pricing for profession. They are one of the few clinics who actually display their pricing on the website. They just don't specify that it's Canadian dollars for all Canadian residents and US dollars for US residents and foreigners. I called this out to Ferko, and his reasoning was that that have to charge US residents more due to the insurance. I said what insurance? He said the insurance for Technicians that live in the US and commute to Vancouver. I followed up with A former employee afterwards who confirmed the only US employees are Ferko and Doug. I have no issues with H&W giving deep discounts to Canadians, but I just with we were more transparent with each other to detect when these things occurred.

My first procedure clinic is not transparent, and they charged me a higher price than other posters I conversed with. The only reason I could think of was I walked in looking well off (I'm really not) whilst others not so much.

Yeah, I dont think for a minute that H&W adjusts their pricing for profession. They are one of the few clinics who actually display their pricing on the website. They just don't specify that it's Canadian dollars for all Canadian residents and US dollars for US residents and foreigners. I called this out to Ferko, and his reasoning was that that have to charge US residents more due to the insurance. I said what insurance? He said the insurance for Technicians that live in the US and commute to Vancouver. I followed up with A former employee afterwards who confirmed the only US employees are Ferko and Doug. I have no issues with H&W giving deep discounts to Canadians, but I just with we were more transparent with each other to detect when these things occurred.

My first procedure clinic is not transparent, and they charged me a higher price than other posters I conversed with. The only reason I could think of was I walked in looking well off (I'm really not) whilst others not so much.

This is all new to me. What up with NAFTA H&W? :-P

Seriously, you would think that a couple grand, or even 4, could be absorbed and US and CAN patients would be the same. But, at least it's out there and the reason is reasonable.

But maybe we should get a cut since they aren't taxed for a crazy defense budget because old Uncle Sam keeps the Russians off their beaches? :o. That's just a joke people.

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators
I have no issues with H&W giving deep discounts to Canadians, but I just with we were more transparent with each other to detect when these things occurred.

Wow that sucks, it's also relative to where you live, 80K a year in Montana or Wyoming you're well off, 80K a year in NYC you're living in a studio in Manhattan. So sometimes it's not just about how much you make but where you live. Prices should be universal with the exception of returning patients that return for touch ups.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The supposed reasoning of H&W charging US dollars is pure bullshit .

If I were to consider H&W for a procedure , I'd demand that I be charged in Canadian dollars . If they didn't yield I'd go elsewhere .

Some East European countries charge hotel rooms to foreigners at different rates to citizens . Possibly not fair , but they're relatively poor economies . Canada's a wealthy nation .

Wow that sucks, it's also relative to where you live, 80K a year in Montana or Wyoming you're well off, 80K a year in NYC you're living in a studio in Manhattan. So sometimes it's not just about how much you make but where you live. Prices should be universal with the exception of returning patients that return for touch ups.

As a New Yorker for the last decade, I am afraid to say 80k a year is barely going to get you a studio out in Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx. A decent studio in Manhattan, forget about it. It was only when I started hitting $120k a year that I could afford a decent studio in Manhattan, and it was tiny. When a good friend from Johnson City, Tennessee came to visit me, and I told him what I paid per month in rent, he balked and said that would pay off the mortgage on his 4 bedroom home in a year.

Interestingly, Dr Rahal's clinic itself tried to upcharge me when the consultant I first spoke to quoted me. Plus it was in US dollars. To be fair, they did bring it down and make things right without me having to prod much. I did actually call them out on this very forum when the Rahal rep on this site claimed all patients get charged in Canadian dollars and not US dollars. In the end I got a very reasonable rate in Canadian dollars, and the procedure has changed my life, so to me it's priceless. Bottom line is that I wish patients on this forum were more transparent with what they paid or were quoted.

If I were to consider H&W for a procedure , I'd demand that I be charged in Canadian dollars . If they didn't yield I'd go elsewhere .

That's exactly the key. I find that one should have multiple quotes from other clinics in hand when negotiating a price. For the most part, competitors will at least match the other quotes. I had quotes from H&W and Shapiro in my back pocket when It came to negotiating. It's also useful to chat with other patients and find out what they paid.

For my 1st procedure, I didn't do any of this, and I definitely overpaid.

As a New Yorker for the last decade, I am afraid to say 80k a year is barely going to get you a studio out in Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx. A decent studio in Manhattan, forget about it. It was only when I started hitting $120k a year that I could afford a decent studio in Manhattan, and it was tiny. When a good friend from Johnson City, Tennessee came to visit me, and I told him what I paid per month in rent, he balked and said that would pay off the mortgage on his 4 bedroom home in a year.

Try UES...lot of good 1 beds available for sub 2k/mo

Try UES...lot of good 1 beds available for sub 2k/mo

Brother, if you can point me to a "good" 1 bedroom on the UES (not higher than 96th st) for under 2k, that is currently on the market, and not considered a "projects" or wealfare designated unit - then I will be a believer in a pigs ability to fly

Am I missing something or did this thread get hijacked?...:confused:

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 3 weeks later...

long time lurker here and finally decided on FUT with Dr. Gabel in Portland. he suggested anywhere from 2300 to 2700 follicles for frontal hair line: my question is how does the number of follicles gets determined on the day of surgery? does it depend on the density of the strip?

A determination would be made for both once the doctor physically examines you on the day of your procedure. He will discuss exactly where you both decide where the grafts will be situated and how dense the coverage will be.

He or she will also be able to tell you approximately how many grafts can be harvested from the strip being excised and the size of the strip.

Gillenator

Probably the lack of concern/dialogue for the 30 year result. Most guys are still going to be in the workforce 30 years after their procedure. Even with all my research, I thought about 15 years down the road, but didn't give much consideration to 30.

There are a couple of comments like this in the thread from people who have had successful transplants, and it has been something in the back of my mind quite a bit as well.

I'm curious as to what your experiences have been. Are you guys saying that your normal hair fell out behind the transplants (as would be expected) and now you're running into issues with coverage because of insufficient donor supply?

It is a good point though, there isn't much info out there about long term planning. I guess a lot of people on the virgin end of of the knife are not interested in the 'later on', and it seems like most of the posts are at most up to a few years after the transplant. Might be a good idea for a subforum or dedicated thread.. a collection of long term experiences after the 10 year mark.