Anything New to the World of Hair Restoration?

Actually if Dr Tsuji's team is successful & the chances look very good it will be the end of the problem surrounding limited donor hair. Japan's regulations mean that treatment will occur there years before it can in the West. The technique will also require implantation to be done by a surgeon or tech's so I wonder if Japan have great surgeons or if some from the West would be interested in relocating? Here is a link to probably the most encouraging hair loss treatment interview ever.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/news/new-research/hair-primordiums-tsuji-organ-interview-sept2016/

What is the current status of Dr. Wesley's PiloFocus "scarless hair transplant" method?

There was some excitement over it a few years back I remember.

Dr. Carlos Wesley — PiloFocus Scarless Hair Transplantation | The End of Hair Loss and Balding by 2020

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Tsuji is the only one with legitimate promise. It will be very expensive if/when released though, but I genuinely think that method will make AGA a thing of the past by 2030.

More short term, there is stuff like Histogen, Follica, SM and Replicel in phase 2/3 trials aiming for release 2018/19.

Julius,

I remember you but I don't recall the last time you checked in. Over the last couple of years, here's my perspective on what's new. FUE has become more popular and more credible as a legitimate hair transplant procedure; Scalp Micropigmentation (scalp tattooing) is more popular. This is really about it. As Dr. Charles pointed out, we are still waiting for hair multiplication and hair duplication (formerly autocloning) didn't produce the kind of results that we had hoped.

We are still hopeful for advances in hair loss treatments but for now, modern hair transplant surgery with the best doctors is still the best way to restore your hair.

Best wishes,

Bill

• Administrators

I agree with Bill, the advancement of FUE is the newest thing, changes continue to occur as the procedure is further refined, from its early days of 1.2mm punches to 1mm to .9 and .8mm punches. 10 years ago FUE was not an option for a Norwood 6 like me, today I've pretty much restored most of my hair via FUE with over 5k grafts. That's pretty much the only solid advancement.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Esteworld apparently uses 0.6mm punches

This is counter productive. The risk of full transection is very high and partial transection nearly guaranteed.

There is also the ARTAS robot which has come a long way. It too used to use much larger punches but with the most current updates to the algorithm and the punches it is putting out donor zones indistinguishable from the "best" manual punch work and growth that is very good as well. With any tool, it is only as good as the doctor that uses it, but with the right hands it is quite effective.

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

• Administrators
This is counter productive. The risk of full transection is very high and partial transection nearly guaranteed.

There is also the ARTAS robot which has come a long way. It too used to use much larger punches but with the most current updates to the algorithm and the punches it is putting out donor zones indistinguishable from the "best" manual punch work and growth that is very good as well. With any tool, it is only as good as the doctor that uses it, but with the right hands it is quite effective.

I agree, less isn't always more in terms of small punches .6 is going to transect follicles without a doubt. Personally I think .9mm is just big enough to get multi follicular units without transecting. But .8mm definitely improves scarring significantly, what size punch does Artas use? From the what I remember it was using 1.2mm years ago.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I have met a lot of patients that have had ARTAS and NEOGRAFT. I wish more posters would show results from the machines rather than the clinic. Just like PRP you rarely see any unbiased patient posting before and after about their results. Its obvious the the ARTAS is a much better machine. I think the result has a lot to do with a doctors skill and a patients donor. Although even though Hasson and Wong had it one time I would never have surgery using a robot. I do not think they ever used it on patient but I guess after seeing some of the patient results from other clinic they decided not to use it. I was sick during this time and never asked. The results that I have seen (no recommended doctors) were horrible and the donor was destroyed for a small number of grafts. It would nice to hear many unbiased patient opinion on the ARTAS machine

I hope cloning or multiplication come soon because its so sad to tell someone that either cannot have surgery due to donor or to having a bad surgery their is nothing you can do for them.

I think what is some what new is topical finasteride. This is great for side effects and patients that are concerned. I know the italian patients that are using it are very happy. They usually get it from the pharmacy in Milan. I credit Hasson and Wong for referring some patients to the topical form without trying to sell it themselves at a profit. I know some other clinics sell it at a huge mark up.

This is my opinion.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I agree, less isn't always more in terms of small punches .6 is going to transect follicles without a doubt. Personally I think .9mm is just big enough to get multi follicular units without transecting. But .8mm definitely improves scarring significantly, what size punch does Artas use? From the what I remember it was using 1.2mm years ago.

HTsoon,

The latest update uses a .9mm punch with a four pronged tip. The goal is to move to a .8mm in the near future. The four pronged tip helps the robot to work with scalp that has high laxity which has proven to be difficult in the past. Another nice update is that the algorithm allows the punch to go a bit deeper than before and the graft literally rises up out of the extraction point. This means that it has been separated from the muscle and tissue and can be removed with little to no traction necessary. This helps to cut down on trauma to the graft. The articulating head is less limited in that it has more freedom of movement to extract from the parietal zones of the donor scalp. In the past it was limited to the occipital region only.

Hi Bill it’s great to see you’re still here. Going through the posts I have noticed the attitude to FUE has warmed and this is the route I’ll be taking. I’m lucky to have found this forum, otherwise I would have had FUT in my early twenties with a less than reputable surgeon.

Hi Lorenzo,

I have met a lot of patients that have had ARTAS and NEOGRAFT.

How many is a lot?

I think the result has a lot to do with a doctors skill and a patients donor.

This has been rightfully said of any hair transplant method or tool. The robot is not completely autonomous. It is controlled by Dr. Arocha and he is watching as every graft is scored. The approach and final result comes down to the experience and judgement of the operator, which should be a doctor.

I do not think they ever used it on patient but I guess after seeing some of the patient results from other clinic they decided not to use it.

They purchased the robot without seeing patient results?

The results that I have seen (no recommended doctors) were horrible and the donor was destroyed for a small number of grafts.

Insert any hair restoration method ever created and these same words apply. Like you said, doctor skill and patient donor. In the right experienced hands it is a great tool to have in the toolbox.

Here is a 2500 graft result using ARTAS by Dr. Arocha. The growth is excellent and the donor is just fine.

fue-hair-transplant-jw-2500-8-months-1-FrontFace.jpg

fue-hair-transplant-jw-2500-8-months-8-scar.jpg

Here is another patient donor zone, immediately after surgery, compared to a manually extracted donor. The point is to reinforce what you said about doctor experience with the tool being used.

ARTAS immediately post-op

artas-donor-extractions-2_zpswpkzpxrh.jpg

Manual hand held extraction by another clinic

Not-ARTAS-donor_zps2xjukpag.jpg

Cloning is still a long way away unfortunately but hopefully topical finasteride will continue to develop and flourish. There is a company in the UK called Follifuel that sells a version for ?40 for a one month supply.

Agreed with Dr Glenn Charles. Technology has come a long way. Uber just launched cars that drive themselves. However, we haven't figured this thing out.

I have been reading a lot about Follica, Histogen, and a couple others. It seems that a few companies are pretty far into trials, either in US, Mexico, or Japan. As a believer in technology, I think there will be significant advancements by 2020. However, I also thought the Packers were a playoff team and that seems to be untrue.

One question I had, prob for some docs on this site, is would prior HTs make any of the up-and-coming treatments not viable?

Arochahair rep

I am sorry if I missed if before but what is your name and do you have a hair transplant?

Thank you for the reply.

How many is a lot?

In my guess its about 12-15. Seeing is believing and as I stated before they were not great results.

This has been rightfully said of any hair transplant method or tool. The robot is not completely autonomous. It is controlled by Dr. Arocha and he is watching as every graft is scored. The approach and final result comes down to the experience and judgement of the operator, which should be a doctor.

This is important.

They purchased the robot without seeing patient results?

I was sick during this time and never asked. Personally I am happy it is gone.

Insert any hair restoration method ever created and these same words apply. Like you said, doctor skill and patient donor. In the right experienced hands it is a great tool to have in the toolbox.

We are all entitled to our opinion.

Here is a 2500 graft result using ARTAS by Dr. Arocha. The growth is excellent and the donor is just fine.

Yes this is a good result. As I stated earlier I would love to see results from unbiased posters. I think all the results I have seen on the forum are from doctors and not patients Maybe I am wrong but can you find a poster that research on this site and said I have decided to have ARTAS? I think any new posters that researched this site would prefer manual FUE.

I can only base my opinion on what I have seen. Nothing personal I think Dr. Arocha is a great doctor but cant picture a educated poster saying I want FUE via ARTAS.

Edited by lorenzo

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Hello Lorenzo,

I am sorry if I missed if before but what is your name and do you have a hair transplant?

Yes I have had a hair transplant but I'd prefer to not give my real name, thank you. This isn't my primary job and I prefer to not tell the world.

In my guess its about 12-15. Seeing is believing and as I stated before they were not great results.

Why would patients with great results come to your clinic or any other clinic that did not perform their surgery? It is rare because if they're happy with their previous surgery they either don't have another surgery or they go back to their original clinic. Haven't you seen bad results from strip and other FUE methods including motorized and hand held manual? Should those methods be avoided? This goes back to my point that it is the hand that guides the tool, not the tool itself. Dr. Arocha does not depend on the ARTAS as he also uses manual and motorized punch systems depending on the patient.

As I stated earlier I would love to see results from unbiased posters. I think all the results I have seen on the forum are from doctors and not patients Maybe I am wrong but can you find a poster that research on this site and said I have decided to have ARTAS?

Here is one and he seemed happy. There are more on other websites but I agree there are not many overall. We wish we could change this but Dr. Arocha's patients just want to put the issue behind them and enjoy their hair.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171072-920-grafts-dr-glenn-charles-age-21-a.html

Thank you for your time, Lorenzo. I hope you have a great week.

In what cases would the doctor choose ARTAS over manual or even motorized punch? What donor/patient characteristics help determine the doctors decision?

The issue I see with the ARTAS is the limited range it can extract from in the donor area. With manual or motorized you can take from a larger area and thus have the extractions more spread out. It does look like the ARTAS has come a long way in the past year and it's encouraging to see solid results from a doctor such as Dr. Arocha. However, in my opinion the ARTAS company is willing to sell this machine to doctors who are not qualified to perform ethical hair restoration and this puts patients at risk.

Dr. Koray (I believe) has some new software that is built around donor managent, giving Ahn actual metric based on donor characteristics that is safe to extract. It looks very interesting.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

If some top company did make a advancement to hair transplant what would happen to all the hair transplant clinics / doctors?

Will we look at hair transplants like we look back at other things and how they used to be done in the olden days?

If some top company did make a advancement to hair transplant what would happen to all the hair transplant clinics / doctors?

Will we look at hair transplants like we look back at other things and how they used to be done in the olden days?

I think these clinics would continue to do hair transplants. There would be enough people that still was something different. Imaging if they came out with a pill (which I believe will never happen) that gave you all of your hair back. Now you have all this donor.

Want an awesome beard? Here ya go

Want better side burns? Here ya go

Want brad pitt hair? Boom

Vanity is in human nature and we are inherently unhappy with less than perfection, and the human body is seldom perfect, so there will always be a market.

I also believe some of the docs would retire, and some would do plastic surgery in conjunction with HT.

I hope it happens, but I dont see it happening even in my lifetime, much less in the amount of time that it would grealty effect me.

Also, cloning or gene therapy or whatever else is more likely, they will need docs to administer it, so, I dont think they have anything to worry about.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I think there is some reason to be a bit more optimistic than that myself Spanker.

Now there are some giant cosmetic/pharmaceutical company's taking an interest in the next generation of treatments I think the odd's are good that much improved methods will be available in the next 5 years or so.

Riken/Organ/Tsiju & Loreal have large funding at their disposal and this is the first time ever that serious company's with heavy hitter capacity have taken an interest in this field.

Agree, both methods will still require a surgeon to do implanting however. I'm quite surprised that Loreal's 3d printer idea hasn't had any discussion of substance on this thread.

Replicel reads as the ideal treatment (injection of dermal sheath cup cells to repopulate the dermal papilla) but that company is run on a shoestring and nobody really knows for sure what Sheisedo's expectations of this product are.

Overall I think there is real hope on the horizon now with Riken/Organ/Tsiju & Loreal.