Is a post-op spray important?

Hi, today I had FUE and when I asked my surgeon if I should use a post op spray he said he never uses them as doesn't feel they make any difference. I know some clinics recommend Liposomal ATP or copper peptide sprays like Graftcyte. Should I use something on the recipient area or even just sterilised water or saline? Or does it actually not make too much difference? Thanks

The idea is to keep your grafts moist throughout the day in the 3-5 day window period following the procedure. Even if you were to order a product online, by the time you would receive it, it may not be as useful.

You can always go to the pharmacy and purchase saline today and begin applying it to both the recipient area as well as the donor region.

Congrats on your procedure!...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

keeping the newly transplanted grafts moist and also keeping yourself well hydrated after a procedure aids in the survival of the grafts and the overall healing process - so yes, a saline spray is recommended the first week or so after surgery .. I believe most reputable docs and clinics consider this a best practice

Agree with all the comments so far. This is what we ask our Patients to do immediately post-op:

1. Spray the grafts at a minimum of every 20 minutes on the evening after the procedure till you sleep and every 2 hours, the next morning onwards.

2. Spray antiseptic three times a day (once in the morning after the shampoo and after drying, second in the afternoon after lunch and 3rd time in the evening after shampoo and after drying). This should be done from arm’s length away- (at least 2 feet).

Best regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I have a question for california, sorry to the original poster but say if a person traveled to india for the UK got a procedure done amd went back the very next day.would you still recommend spraying every 20 mins or hours on the plane journey home because getting up and going to the toilet every 20 mins or 2 hours would look a bit dodgy no? or is it ok to give it a miss for the flight home.

I have a question for california, sorry to the original poster but say if a person traveled to india for the UK got a procedure done amd went back the very next day.would you still recommend spraying every 20 mins or hours on the plane journey home because getting up and going to the toilet every 20 mins or 2 hours would look a bit dodgy no? or is it ok to give it a miss for the flight home.

Hi Wwizzkidd,

So if a Patient is flying internationally the day after the procedure, we would still recommend spraying the recepient area every 2 hours while travelling. Do keep in mind the fact that we are talking about a very quick 2-3 sprays that would not take more than a few seconds. Don't necessarily have to even get up from your seat each time....as is, most folks tend to either sleep or get busy with some form of entertainment on the long distance flights and probably won't be noticing all the actions of the person sitting next to them. Also, they do turn off the lights in the plane after the meal. Bottom line, I believe that it is doable.

Best regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I flew across country a few days after my procedure, and kept spaying with the ATP Liposomal every hour. People must have though I was nuts, but nobody said or asked anything. Also, my head looked like a war zone, so I doubt they even wanted to ask. I stayed in my seat, just be careful not to spray to aggressively where it goes into the person behind you. Otherwise it was no big deal. Also, I believe the cabin pressure dries out the grafts quicker, so it is important to keep spraying often.

I flew across country a few days after my procedure, and kept spaying with the ATP Liposomal every hour. People must have though I was nuts, but nobody said or asked anything. Also, my head looked like a war zone, so I doubt they even wanted to ask. I stayed in my seat, just be careful not to spray to aggressively where it goes into the person behind you. Otherwise it was no big deal. Also, I believe the cabin pressure dries out the grafts quicker, so it is important to keep spraying often.

You sir, have some big brass balls !

Different clinics have very different views on such maters but Dr Ball is a firm believer of the benefits of using this post op. Below is the reason why we use it.

We feel Liposomal ATP is an important new application to hair restoration surgery due to its healing and graft survival properties. Especially with FUE procedures where the grafts are finer and more fragile . At The Maitland Clinic, we feel it is vital to use Liposomal ATP spray during the post op period to ensure maximum survival of grafts. Liposomal ATP is a solution that contains ATP in liposomes. It is used to deliver ATP to tissue deprived of oxygen and blood supply during surgery while grafts are out of the body and as the graft are planted back into the recipient area.

After transplantation, the follicles exist in a state of ischemia that persists until angiogenesis restores oxygen tension in the wounded area. Liposomal ATP has several major effects: It supplies cells ATP to maintain the energy charge of the cell, and thus allow follicles to remain viable during the post-transplant period, ATP is a potent vasodilator on dermal arterioles, which increases scalp blood flow to the area being treated,The lipid vesicles, once internalised by the cell, are an ideal energy substrate for proliferating cells.

We provide this solution to all patients to use the first 48 hours after surgery. We feel that it significantly helps increase the survival rate of grafts and expedites the healing process.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

The first couple of days are the most important if you do not have ATP then a saline would be the next best thing. Every clinic has different advice on what they want their patients to do post op so always check with yours first.

Good growth to you.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

It is worth the effort to ensure the best possible survival of the grafts during the first couple of days. A mild post-op spray helps fight infection.

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am a representative of MyWHTC clinic in Brussels, Belgium.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available in Brussels for no fee

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I assume you can't buy the liposomal ATP spray but it's provided from certain clinics as part of their post-op care package.

I'm using a saline spray which I find helps the soreness and itching to the recipient area, even 8 days post-op.

Your surgeon should know where you can purchase the spray...;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 1 year later...

Listen to your doctor’s instructions or call for clarification but I’ve never heard of spraying newly implanted grafts for over a month - usual practice is hourly post op for first 2 days and then every 2 hours up to the 2 week point and that’s usually it ...

Vascularization of the tissue during the healing process can only help...;)

Gillenator