Reflections 5 years later - story of a 24 year old who had 3 HT?s

Not sure if anyone has said this but, going to a great doctor from the beginning may have changed the outcome of your happiness. Unless of course your transplanted hair has thinned over time.

To be honest, I don't think so. Any respectable doctor would create a somewhat conservative hairline and temples/sideburns on a young person, in order to insure that there were enough grafts to cover the entire area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing .Your hair doesn't look that bad.I too am in the same boat.

Knowing what I know now I would be happy with a shaved head and no scars!!!

If you stay in shape,have a good career/hard working,solid person with a good heart,

women will want you for you!!!! Yes in the early stages of life(20-30 years old) women

tend to like men with hair but as you get older that changes and its more about the person.

Enjoy your post gillenator. Right on the money!!!

• 4 months later...

Hey guys

A promise is a promise.

I finally have it. Attached. To my head. And I am very pleased with the result. I haven't had hair like this since I was 16.

The idea from the start, was to achieve a short hairstyle that was both youthful and modern, such as that of a spiky hairstyle that is longer on top than on the sides.

Below you can find a few more before pics, that are about a year old.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

And here are the results as of today:

Thoughts?

• Administrators

I'm for whatever makes you happy, although I believe the takeaway from all of this is not "don't get an HT young" I think it's "manage your expectations" obviously a hair transplant can not match hair for hair, and a transplant is never going to be perfect, there will be situations in which even the best transplants show weakness, for those highly motivated young men who want their teenage hair back, yea hair restoration is probably not a good option, I'm 30 years old still young, but I'm good with the hair I have, I know the older I get the better it'll be, but I'm always for self improvement, if it makes you happy that's all that matters. Personally never been a guy to wear fibers or concealer too much maintenance and fear of it being exposed, that's why I could never do a system personally.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

A very sobering post for any young blonde guys who were convinced that HT was the right option. Might need to inform myself about the merits of a system

Whats your age mate?

Hey guys

A promise is a promise.

I finally have it. Attached. To my head. And I am very pleased with the result. I haven't had hair like this since I was 16.

The idea from the start, was to achieve a short hairstyle that was both youthful and modern, such as that of a spiky hairstyle that is longer on top than on the sides.

Below you can find a few more before pics, that are about a year old.

And here are the results as of today:

Thoughts?

Mike, we talked a few Month back and you told that you ordered a piece and was waiting for it. Now you have it and im happy that you are pleased.

It looks like a full cap piece tjat covers your sides and back, is that true? Or is it just a top piece and the hair on back and sides are your own?

If it is a full cap, why did you ordered that? Wouldnt it be enough with a top piece and just keep your hairs on back and sides?

Where do you get it cut and attached?

I am Also from Denmark.

Edited by johnny2000

Really important post about expectations. Its why some have challenged the long term strategy for some of these lowered hairlines we've seen in guys 30 and under. The best doctors plan for the future and best/worst case scenarios. I hope you find some peace with all this.

Thanks for sharing.

Whats your age mate?

26. Not even that bothered about a low hairline, have a naturally high hairline as it is. But density is the issue for me. Have diffuse thinning and posts like yours kind of make me think that HT might be a waste of money, as I'm not sure my density expectations can be met. Need to read up on HP's.

Mike, we talked a few Month back and you told that you ordered a piece and was waiting for it. Now you have it and im happy that you are pleased.

It looks like a full cap piece tjat covers your sides and back, is that true? Or is it just a top piece and the hair on back and sides are your own?

If it is a full cap, why did you ordered that? Wouldnt it be enough with a top piece and just keep your hairs on back and sides?

Where do you get it cut and attached?

I am Also from Denmark.

Hey Johnny

I do remember our conversations :)

It is indeed a full cap. That decision was based on several factors. First, I had lost a lot of hair in my temple/sideburn area, which made it look thinner than I wanted. Second, with a full cap there are no worries about blending issues, color mismatching etc. Third, you don't have to worry about your own natural hair outgrowing the length of the toupee. And finally, the scar I had from my strip surgery had left the hair on the back of my head a bit thin, and did not allow me to keep my hair even as short (which I like) as you can with a full cap without it being visible.

26. Not even that bothered about a low hairline, have a naturally high hairline as it is. But density is the issue for me. Have diffuse thinning and posts like yours kind of make me think that HT might be a waste of money, as I'm not sure my density expectations can be met. Need to read up on HP's.

It may or may not be a waste of money. Every hairloss case is ofcourse a different story, and being a diffuse thinner doesn't exclude great results by default.

Ofcourse, if you are a diffise NW5-6 with fine hair and average donor area like me, things get tricky.

Hey Johnny

I do remember our conversations :)

It is indeed a full cap. That decision was based on several factors. First, I had lost a lot of hair in my temple/sideburn area, which made it look thinner than I wanted. Second, with a full cap there are no worries about blending issues, color mismatching etc. Third, you don't have to worry about your own natural hair outgrowing the length of the toupee. And finally, the scar I had from my strip surgery had left the hair on the back of my head a bit thin, and did not allow me to keep my hair even as short (which I like) as you can with a full cap without it being visible.

Allright.

How did you go on about it afterwards? I mean people most have noticed the drastic changed on your hair? Have anyone said anything ? Im talking about co-workers and friends and strangers when you talk to Them, Can you feel them suspecting anything?

Was good reading your original post Mike, and don't be discouraged by my comment, but i think the system you are wearing looks too thick, and that as it is, i could tell you are wearing a hair system.

I know from reading threads online from people who wear hair systems say it takes time in the begining to get it how you like it and improving your technique over time helps, but i'm no expert...so may be wrong.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Who did you order the system from?

I personally agree there is too much density and the temples and sides and nape are really hard to pull off. Personally, as hard as looks go, if you are going to wear I would consider a topper or go with a lower density and don't cut in so short.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Man, just my opinion but your HT looked pretty darn good. Much more natural than the piece. I think in time you will find that you will opt for letting YOUR hair be your hair. A little thinness will be no big deal in a few years, especially when you wear it right. The piece will become a ball and chain and you will feel a ton better. Not trying to sound negative, but I think your HT was a success.

Man, just my opinion but your HT looked pretty darn good. Much more natural than the piece. I think in time you will find that you will opt for letting YOUR hair be your hair. A little thinness will be no big deal in a few years, especially when you wear it right. The piece will become a ball and chain and you will feel a ton better. Not trying to sound negative, but I think your HT was a success.

Really agree here. I think you look pretty darn good too. A little Toppik and possibly some SMP and you'd have more coverage than most guys. I realize some people want surgery for perfect hair, but being liberated from the constant torture and routine that comes with masking and hiding is invaluable. Sanity has no price.

Just know we think you look good, and thats from some very serious critics around here ;)

This is a very interesting thread.

I have done it the opposite way.

Im a 26 year old guy from Norway (not far from your country!) and started using a hairpiece at 20 years old. I got my "dream hair" but I am so tired of dealing with the hairpiece. It is really a limit in my life, especially when it comes to love and dating.

I am a nw5 and am thinking about a HT with Dr Bhatti in India. I have little over average donor density and good density beard. I have high expectations but understand that I never can get the results of my hairpiece (which is a nw2, with very high density). But I am curious how much I need to lower my expectations. I dont want the result to look like balding.

This is a very interesting thread.

I have done it the opposite way.

Im a 26 year old guy from Norway (not far from your country!) and started using a hairpiece at 20 years old. I got my "dream hair" but I am so tired of dealing with the hairpiece. It is really a limit in my life, especially when it comes to love and dating.

I am a nw5 and am thinking about a HT with Dr Bhatti in India. I have little over average donor density and good density beard. I have high expectations but understand that I never can get the results of my hairpiece (which is a nw2, with very high density). But I am curious how much I need to lower my expectations. I dont want the result to look like balding.

On a nw7 at 26 you are likely to look like you are balding, but not bald.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

The final result looks very great with good visual density...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

To thread starter.

I think you look good u have a good amount of hair.

You had 3 ht"s two of them were duds or with non accredited doctors.

Mohmand openly says he doesnt give density rather the illusion of density.listen to his videos on YouTube.he is a decent doctor not the best but decent youll get some improvement at a good price with him,the other two it seems maybe not.

Hair transplants if in the right hands ( a modern proffesional doctor as recommended on this site ) definitely work.i know that for sure personally and in the many others ive seen in person

Those who had them fail typically had work done in the 90s and very early 2000s with lousy doctors.

I do think a lot of us on here ,me included in the past see things far worse than they actually are and are our hairs own worst critics.

Id disagree with u ,most people look very good bald shaven ,its been the modern style for 15 years.

I personally think people should get ht"s at 25 and plus.these years 25 -35 are v important go to a recommended doctor or there are plenty of non recommended doctors in turkey and pakistan who are cheap,proffesional and give good results like mohmand.just avoid the snake oil,butchers and immoral conmen in the uk and the usa, and europe .recently ive heard of a new outfit in the uk going around offering hts in the south asian community with no training no certificates etc all under the banner of a beauty salon! .AVOID

Anyway best of wishes bud

Your hair doesnt look as bad as you think. As you get older, you will probably appreciate the hair you have (and the work you had done) when you look at some of the people your age going way more bald then you will. Ive never had a normal hairline or normal head of hair since I was a teen, however, I am way more appreciative of the hair that I have now.

I am headed to an N3 at this time, at 28, losing hair since around 18/19. I was wondering what people's thoughts were regarding this? I am planning on my first HT next year, at around 2.5-3k. I don't expect to look like the old me, obviously, but just having a reconstructed hairline at a safe distance would be fine. Even a somewhat receded look with some more density would be fine by me as I head into my 30s (maintaining something like this http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MawkdJvUp-s/TkrcBeyXTlI/AAAAAAAABJY/BUtZzqO9DDY/s1600/patrick-wilson__oPt.jpg). Is this not conservative enough?

I never realized how much variance there was in hair loss. A cousin of mine began losing his hair far later than me, but became like a norwood 5 in barely a year or two. I was quite unreal.