SMP Consultation Request Results

~$5,000

i read the entire thread. But i don't remember seeing a price range for this procedure. I know every case is different but what range are we talking for this kind of procedure?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Question?...I've been following this feed and several others for awhile and finally registered to comment and /or ask questions. Why hasn't anyone mentioned Artistry Concepts in Florida? I've been on their site, reviewed all their testimonials, and spoken to someone who has had the procedure done. It all seemed positive. Does anyone know some negative information or reasons they shouldn't be considered that they would share? I'm leaning towards their direction, although I think some of GLI's stuff looks good too.

To shed a little more light....I got a transplant from Bosley when I was like 22. It was only 500 grafts but a terrible experience. It's almost 12 years later and now I think my head is more concealers than hair! LOL...I just want my life back and want to be able to go places, swim, etc. and not worry about my damn hair.

I've done a good job concealing it thus far but I'm tired of it and I have to have a change. SMP seemed like an option cause I don't want to shave my head with my scar and I don't want another transplant. I know all the negatives, trust me. But I also think it could buy a guy a few years without having to worry about his hair. (if it's done right...hairline,color,etc). Then if it faded or changed colors, you'd have it touched up or removed and redone? Right? Anyway, thanks to everyone who posted, commented, and researched information on this topic. All good stuff.

~$5,000

Holy crap!!! I always assumed it was circa $500 a session or something like that. $5,000 is almost transplant territory. Each to their own.

closa9,

Welcome to our forum community. I know Time to Do Something was posting quite frequently for awhile regarding scalp micropigmentation however, I haven't seen him for awhile. You might want to consider sending him a private message to see if he responds.

Best wishes,

Bill

TTDS will be arriving at Shapiro Medical Group this Friday to speak with Dr. Ron before his appointment with GLI. His appointment with GLI is on Saturday. Dr. Ron has asked to accompany TTDS for the SMP procedure but GLI won't allow it. We've asked several times with other patients but they have a set policy of not allowing anyone to view. It's difficult to recommend a place who are so secretive about their technique and are hesitant to answer all questions. We'll take some good pictures when he's here before his SMP treatment.

Have you consulted with any of the SMP clinics? It'd be a good idea to speak to 3-4 smp clinics before deciding on one. One of the deciding factors in selecting a clinic is speaking with their patients to hear about their experience. Try to speak to patients who had it done 6+ months ago. Have a list of same questions for each clinic. Best of luck.

Ugh, until this secretive crap stops I will never consider SMP.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

The "secrecy" that veils Smp and lack of clear results is definitely a red flag. Hopefully TTDS documents the process for us with detailed pictures. As far as I can tell he would be a pioneer in doing so.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

My biggest concern about SMP is that I'm afraid that people aren't recognizing it for what it really is. Scalp Micropigmentation is just a fancy name for a 2 dimensional tattoo on the scalp that looks like short hair.

While I don't want to be a naysayer nor sound like I'm rejecting innovation, if I had to make a prediction, I am concerned that there will be a lot of disappointed SMP consumers in the future that wish they didn't undergo this procedure.

That said, I'm willing to keep an open mind and will certainly admit to being wrong if SMP proves to be a viable "treatment" option for hair loss sufferers in several years. But at this point, it's in its infancy and experimental stages and only time will tell what hair loss sufferers can truly expect from SMP.

I too hope that TTDS and anyone else undergoing SMP will document their results with quality pictures and return to this forum several years later and present new pictures.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

I agree. Frankly, I do think SMP has its place, but is properly suited for a small number of specific patients. However, I do look forward to following its progress and reviewing the type of SMP results posted on the forums.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Cut to a mixture of .8mm (front and NW1-2 zones), 1mm (NW 3-4), and 3mm crown, and 2mm-3mm across back and scars (with 1mm in the scars themselves) my SMP + hair looks brilliant in the sense that it looks natural. I am still an ugly mother! (of course the strip scars aren't perfectly eliminated) But the SMP itself is undetectable and in no way odd, unless a picture is taken with a digital camera when sometimes the color of the pic looks ridiculously blue.

The caveat is WITH HAIR (even at low density) , and maybe lucky skin* .

The only problem I have now, is that my original hairline is too far back. Built as it was, naturally, before SMP.

The hairlines with no hair and just SMP look ridiculous. It is essential to have hair to mix with it. These guys in the SMP company won't tell you that of course. But for guys looking to combine FUE, short hair at back and sides, even with volume up top, or just buzz SMP is a revolution.

SMP means you should pay more attention to getting a lower and more desirable hairline first. (once you have established that your skin works with SMP and the particular tech, tools, ink work for you)

SMP accents your hairline, even if it is faded towards the front.

I don't mean get yourself an Armani type hairlines, but I definitely mean at least better than NW2.

One the temples are gone, they are gone. Don't be hoping for SMP to help there. MEds!

This is a SHIFT in thinking from the previous doctrine which is dictated by lack of available grafts.

There are limitations and a horror stage. For me, it is between between 3mm - 30-35mm where SMP and hair doesn't look good. At least to my eyes.

I add this as an edit too, I don't want to encourage people to plow their money and hopes into SMP. The companies will rip you off! You will be disfigured as easily as you can imagine! But with some prudent and pedantic research, and some restraint (I don't have much) you might be lucky like me.

I should add, once I realised I got away with it (SMP) I wasn't in the happy world I imagined. Now I am just another greying faceless middle-aged dude but I am sure relieved and now the real work begins.

Edited by scar5

hey everyone I need help..... I am desperate, please no gimmicks, no B.S. just the truth. I am 35 and everyone thinks I'm 45. I have had 4 H.T. and still, I'm not pleased. I hate the way my hair looks, I hate the way I look. Everyone makes fun of my hair. I'm almost in depression mode. I have to wear hats everywhere I go. Please if there is anyone out there that has had SMP done please contact me. I want to know if its worth it. Please no one from any of the companies that do SMP. I want an independent person that has got it done.

It seems to me alot of people on here work for the companies that do SMP. Which is sad for people like me that what real answers and that are desperate. SMP is not cheap and pictures on the web can be deceiving. I have talk to hishair, GLI, Newhair, hairsimulaiton. No one would put me in contact with a person that has got it done. Why?

I'm ugly ass f*#k, for some reason I got a beautiful trophy wife (12 younger and gorgeous) no I'm not rich, two beautiful kids. All I want is to feel good on the inside.

Anyway thanks to everyone for your help

closa9,

I'm very sorry to hear about your failed hair restoration journey. I encourage you to start a new discussion about your transplants and present photos so we can better understand your concerns.

As for SMP, I want to clear something up. None of our regular posters here work for any SMP providers. We recommend one and only one hair transplant surgeon that offers SMP at his clinic. That is Dr. William Rassman of NHI and he has offered his expert opinion here as well as displayed patient results.

Like you, we have been waiting for unbiased, patient documentation of SMP. Currently there are not many SMP recipients who have offered to publicly share their stories.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

hairthere

Thank you for your response, finally someone that know where I'm coming from. I am not going to do SMP until I get an unbias review. Until then will I consider it. I have been talking to Good Looks Ink and Hair Simulation out of Atlanta about SMP.

It can get a little discourage on these forums sometimes. I just got tired of the B.S. on here. A lot of talk but no action. I started to lose my hair at 20 yrs old. and have been make of fun of that long and I'm tired of it. I want to do something new about my hair. It's not only that I also have acne scars to deal with. Like I said before I have a very beautiful wife. She said she doesn't care, she loves me for me. Honestly it like beauty and the beast.

If there is anyone that would like to help me out here I am.

thanks for everyones help

Edited by TakingThePlunge

I just posted about SMP to say, don't bother trying to get temples with SMP, and then I did the very opposite.

I just got them.

I stuck to my principle with SMP, never, ever go beyond the existing hair territory, even if it is pissy little miniturized fuzz.

I used a lighter ink, about 20% lighter than the ink used up to to the prior boundary.I designed it myself and with the advice of the staff.

It looks pretty good, although the 50% fade will kick in soon enough and then I can say for sure. But the shape or contour is really impressive.

I drew zig zags gradually moving superiorly with curved tapers slightly pointing upwards.

I didn't cover the entire area of the remaining temple hair so there is still a buffet zone between ink and hairless skin, but the key point is that the prior vertical drop has been broken up and that you can improve your hairline shape by adding weak temples, after and ONLY after you have seen the initial job settle. Mine has been three months between first and last.

I think it might be a good strategy for SMP going forward. Build the basic stuff behind the hairline first. wait three months, and then and only then, add deft and soft touches to the outline where you are taking a bigger risk.

• 1 month later...

Pics?

i just posted about smp to say, don't bother trying to

get temples with smp, and then i did the very opposite.

I just got them.

I stuck to my principle with smp, never, ever go beyond the existing hair territory, even if it is pissy little miniturized fuzz.

I used a lighter ink, about 20% lighter than the ink used up to to the prior boundary.i designed it myself and with the advice of the staff.

It looks pretty good, although the 50% fade will kick in soon enough and then i can say for sure. But the shape or contour is really impressive.

I drew zig zags gradually moving superiorly with curved tapers slightly pointing upwards.

I didn't cover the entire area of the remaining temple hair so there is still a buffet zone between ink and hairless skin, but the key point is that the prior vertical drop has been broken up and that you can improve your hairline shape by adding weak temples, after and only after you have seen the initial job settle. Mine has been three months between first and last.

I think it might be a good strategy for smp going forward. Build the basic stuff behind the hairline first. Wait three months, and then and only then, add deft and soft touches to the outline where you are taking a bigger risk.