SMP Consultation Request Results

What is the issue with two tones? I'd think variation would be more natural than one flat color. Everyone has different hues to their color.

Two or more tones vs two or more hues?

Tone = monochrome (grey - black)

Hues = Do you mean, browns, beige, etc.?

The problem is that different colors fade unevenly with time and UV exposure. So the first to go is red, the last is blue etc., Laser always has the same problem. The blues stay in stubbornly while the yellows etc., get washed out so fast. Already, the natural hair which grows varies in color too, as it grows. We are talking about some pretty interesting combination of colors coming up here. It could be artful, but not exactly natural.

As far as tone goes, I think tone variation might help, but I don't think they try to exploit that. I haven't heard of them deliberately using different tones at different depths. It seems too complex. As always, what is possible is not what is probable because of risks and economics and the need to streamline everything into a 'system'. Same with da HT!

BTW, my hair is growing, and here comes the trade-offs again. Just as the front starts to look really good - and yes, I can recommend SMP with the hair if you have a front like me, and believe, like many do, that front frame is what counts.

But, now the crown goes out of whack. In other words, the sweet spot for SMP on the my crown is different to the front. Crown looks decent at shorter length, (less pink) whilst the front at longer (less blue) and overall I look better with the crown higher, cause something coming out of the crown distracts the eye from my natsy hairline - which BTW , before I thought was a good hairline. Funny how getting SMP causes you to refocus, and suddenly, your curse is another area than it was before.

So I can see that SMP with hair is a challenge and it needs some cunning hair styling to pull it off. Further more, already, it has faded at least 50%, in a month, one month. So looking at immediate post-SMP pics, I don't know know what you can really learn.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgiving me for derailign this thread for one second.....I shave the dome daily as Im completely bald ( :( )

I also have darker skin (Italian). Would SMP be more ideal for someone like me?

Forgiving me for derailign this thread for one second.....I shave the dome daily as Im completely bald ( :( )

I also have darker skin (Italian). Would SMP be more ideal for someone like me?

I think this was designed for someone in your situation. It should work well.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Two or more tones vs two or more hues?

Tone = monochrome (grey - black)

Hues = Do you mean, browns, beige, etc.?

The problem is that different colors fade unevenly with time and UV exposure. So the first to go is red, the last is blue etc., Laser always has the same problem. The blues stay in stubbornly while the yellows etc., get washed out so fast. Already, the natural hair which grows varies in color too, as it grows. We are talking about some pretty interesting combination of colors coming up here. It could be artful, but not exactly natural.

As far as tone goes, I think tone variation might help, but I don't think they try to exploit that. I haven't heard of them deliberately using different tones at different depths. It seems too complex. As always, what is possible is not what is probable because of risks and economics and the need to streamline everything into a 'system'. Same with da HT!

BTW, my hair is growing, and here comes the trade-offs again. Just as the front starts to look really good - and yes, I can recommend SMP with the hair if you have a front like me, and believe, like many do, that front frame is what counts.

But, now the crown goes out of whack. In other words, the sweet spot for SMP on the my crown is different to the front. Crown looks decent at shorter length, (less pink) whilst the front at longer (less blue) and overall I look better with the crown higher, cause something coming out of the crown distracts the eye from my natsy hairline - which BTW , before I thought was a good hairline. Funny how getting SMP causes you to refocus, and suddenly, your curse is another area than it was before.

So I can see that SMP with hair is a challenge and it needs some cunning hair styling to pull it off. Further more, already, it has faded at least 50%, in a month, one month. So looking at immediate post-SMP pics, I don't know know what you can really learn.

Thanks! I feel that 95% of what I'm learning is from guys who have had it done. I'm not sure what to believe from the companies selling it. One I'm considering has not responded to three emails in the past ten days simply trying to set up another consultation since they apparently refuse to communicate in writing. I sent you a private message about the difficulty I'm having reaching "hatinghats". I was wondering if you could possibly help me get in touch with hm. I believe with the information I'm getting from you and him combined I may be closer to making a decision. It sounds like this is not a one shot deal that I'll have to go back for a touch up in 30 days. One of the companies does three to five sessions and one company only does one. It makes me wonder how there can be such a difference when the process is probably very similar. My hair is aburn/red/blonde. They said they could match it. I wonder what color they'd use? Dr. Shapiro beleives a light grey would be best for me. I'm in contact with another guy who had this done. He is very happy with the result but he is going back to have his crown darkened. He said the skin there is thicker and doesn't take the ink the same way other areas of the scalp does. He has his hair buzzed so I can't really get a feel from him if this would work for me since I want to keep my hair a little longer than buzzed.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

The frontal hailing HELMET look scares the be-Jesus outta me regardless of MY current situation (tan head). Some of those pics look awful

I think this was designed for someone in your situation. It should work well.

whacked, where are you looking? I agree some have severe helmet heads but some companies do a better job at fading the hairline.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

The frontal hailing HELMET look scares the be-Jesus outta me regardless of MY current situation (tan head). Some of those pics look awful

You can say that again!

Laughable - absolutely ridiculous! I mean, comedy could rip these guys to shreds.

Except the joke is (and has been) on me at times, and it is irksome and scarey.

The helmet head is one problem, that none of these goons on the videos can redress.

Having a smooth head with no hair texture, should be fine, cause shaved heads are just that. But with the helmet, AND Mr. Smooth and shine, it's terrible. And as it becomes more popular in culture, through these TV promotions etc., it will be only a matter of time before good jobs get questioned. I know I'm paranoid, but males are competitive, always will be looking for a chink in the armor somewhere.

How to avoid the helmet on lighter skin, that is the question. In my SMP, my requests for helmet avoidance were accepted with warm, encouraging and assuring gestures that bespoke a knowing and understanding. I was completely fooled. Luckily, I had a reserve plan, smart and experienced fella I am. So I delimited certain no go zones which included my temples and pretty much my hairline everywhere.

Lines were drawn, and the area duly 'filled' - just as the cynical half of my brain expected. Because there was no graduation. THere was no time or way to do it. It was just a case of Fill-it-in. And this is why we get the helmet. THere is no time to create the graduations.

I hope to get graduations and move it forward, but I will be asking very carefully and clearly. I honestly believe, that for the trimmings of SMP, the bits on the hairline which demand acute and delicate treatment to achieve graduation, accounting for fade, require so much time you might be better off buying the tools, and training yourself to do it! Best is to marry a cosmetic tattooist.

I sent you a private message about the difficulty I'm having reaching "hatinghats".

I can't contact him either. I registered for that forum too, and they put in in a waiting line, where I wait, as I guess you do.

WHO? Any links to impressive pics? Thanks! :(

whacked, where are you looking? I agree some have severe helmet heads but some companies do a better job at fading the hairline.

You lost me here

Are you saying that the hailine looks GOOD and believable if you shave your head bald?

IMO, it still looks fishy/fake.

Having a smooth head with no hair texture, should be fine, cause shaved heads are just that. But with the helmet, AND Mr. Smooth and shine, it's terrible. And as it becomes more popular in culture, through these TV promotions etc., it will be only a matter of time before good jobs get questioned. I know I'm paranoid, but males are competitive, always will be looking for a chink in the armor somewhere.

I agree it is fishy, but it is the hairline (ink/skin transition line) that gives it away, not the lack of texture behind, just from an appearance.

I mean, a completely shaved head does have a blueish hue below the surface of the smooth skin. i do think texture helps however, if only to break up the shine and I altogether want hair plus ink, not just ink.

Not to mention giving you more confidence as SMP spreads and becomes more well known

Hair plus ink is better IMO

I can't contact him either. I registered for that forum too, and they put in in a waiting line, where I wait, as I guess you do.

Thanks, I was able to reach him on the HIS forum.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

WHO? Any links to impressive pics? Thanks! :(

Most people I have spoken to believe GLI has the best hairlines.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Well today it happened. I am scheduled for CTHR (SMP) with Good Look Ink. I have been researching this for about 18 months. I've had phone consultations, in person consultations and emailed questions to a couple of companies not to mention gathered information here from guys who have had it done and guys who have researched it intensively.

My last remaining concern was the length I could keep my hair. GLI was up front and told me in order for this to look its best I would need to keep my hair cut at a 2-3 guard. That is shorter than I'm wearing it on top of my head now but probably about the length on my sides and back. I've never had hair that short on the top but I think I can pull it off. I'm just sick of wearing a hairpiece especially after four hair transplants.

Oddly after I booked my procedure with GLI I received an email from NHI which was answering an email I sent them yesterday. I also included photos of my hair. They said they were declining me as a client because I wanted to keep my hair longer than a buzz cut. Now it turns out that I've decided to go with what GLI told me which is a 2-3 guard so with that information NHI would probably have done it. However, I'm finished with my search and that is water under the bridge at this point.

I just want the freedom of no hairpiece. The good news is with the 2 guard I can probably forget about the crown piece now and wear nothing!

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Here is a guy who has hair with some length to it. He looks good to me. Maybe after experimenting I could push passed a 3 guard if I wanted to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qihRVIZ35ug&feature=relmfu

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

TTDS, Will you document this process with photos? I think it would be tremendously beneficial to the forum.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

TTDS-

I was just about to say the same thing as HairThere--you've come far in this process and your forum friends have been with you. Please do what the SMP providers never have--document the heck out of this--photos in different lighting, angles, etc., particularly if they do the scar at the same time. Please.

Thanks

G'luck with G'look! ;)

If you don't present the forum with some decent photographic documentation I will have to give you an offer you can't refuse.

When are you getting this done?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

TTDS,

Congrats and best of luck. Like everyone else here, I'm extremely interested in the potential of this treatments but disappointed with the lack of unbiased documentation out there. Please do document your journey.

I wish you all the best.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

TTDS,

Congratulations! Please, keep us updated. I look forward to the images. It's exciting seeing more and more SMP results shared!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

... I am scheduled ...with Good Look Ink. .... it turns out that I've decided to go with what GLI told me which is a 2-3 guard so with that information NHI would probably have done it. !

Well, you have booked, so that's a weight off your mind.

I have grown my hair for a month straight, and I cracked yesterday, buzzed it down. The plugs, not the ink, did me in. I was pleasantly surprised at the short top ink blending with hair although it has faded considerably and I started off with a light tone.

NHI response to would be baffling, given their long haired clients, except they now say they do darker for longer.

If you have to grow certain parts of your hair longer for scar coverage, then that's just what you'll do.

Anyway, good luck..and I too will eagerly devour your free pictures!!!

http://www.baldingblog.com/2011/02/23/scalp-micro-pigmentation-an-alternative-to-hair-transplantation/ is it just me or does pic # 1 + #2 look fake

http://www.hishairclinic.com/gallery/ some of these look great while some look fake

To be honest, some look SO GOOD, I think they are dudes with ACTUAL hair but shaved! Look closely

Ttds,

Good luck with your choice and im sure everything will be great. You are the first person that i know doing this from htn. Please document the process and do not leave us without any info !